PDA

View Full Version : Car Insurance Price Raise

Kodiak
31-Aug-10, 11:24
Just had my Car Insurance Renewal in.

Sheesh!! There was only a 63% Raise in the permium. I still have my Full No Claims Bonus and haven't even claimed for a chipped Windscreen.

63% Raise and no explanation. I Phoned them up and asked them why the Huge raise and all they said was :-

"Yes it is a Big jump but there is nothing we can do"

So I have now cancelled my policy with them and gone on line and got a far better price, even with adding my son on as an extra driver.

63% Raise, no way.

How about all you out there in Orgland, have you had your Car Insurance in and if so what % did it go up by?

Mik.M.
31-Aug-10, 11:29
Mine actually went down,but that was only because they kept me on hold for 20 minutes,they took £30 off so well pleased.:)
Shop around,go on all the comparison sites and never just accept a renewal quote from your present insurer.

Dadie
31-Aug-10, 11:31
We always shop around for the car insurance.
The first quote from the existing insurer is usually higher than the last quote you get from them.
I try to get them to match the best offer we get if they can we stay with them if not we swap!

Geo
31-Aug-10, 11:33
Mine shot up this year too with Yes car insurance. I changed to Tesco and got fully comp cheaper than Yes wanted for 3rd party. Strange.

b3n
31-Aug-10, 12:15
Every year my renewal notice is more expensive than get a new quote from else where. It happens with all insurance companies. I use www.quidco.com to get cashback every year so it suits me fine.

Its just a pain having to change every year. Its the same with the AA and RAC. I swap each year from one to the other.

Corrie 3
31-Aug-10, 12:43
I have been with Churchill for years and had full no claims for years also but every year they try and hike it up and I just ring up and say I dont accept that and then they come in with a lower price....I got a shock this year as I got my renewal and it was £9 per month cheaper than last year so I didnt have to argue this year..Well chuffed!!
:lol::lol:

Geo
31-Aug-10, 13:08
Every year my renewal notice is more expensive than get a new quote from else where. It happens with all insurance companies. I use www.quidco.com to get cashback every year so it suits me fine.

Its just a pain having to change every year. Its the same with the AA and RAC. I swap each year from one to the other.

My AA renewal was very expensive last month. Cheapest deal I found was with Green Flag. However when I phoned to cancel they gave me a really big discount which made them cheapest They said just to phone them every year and they'd do it.

achingale
31-Aug-10, 13:32
My advice would be to do exactly what you have done for any insurance. I had to renew home insurance and pet insurance and managed to cut it in half for both because I shopped around. Really pleased you are happy with your new policy Kodiak.

stekar
31-Aug-10, 14:03
Car insurance renewal has just come through and it's almost the same as last year. But still going to shop around.

Have also found that policies sometimes come in cheaper if you add another driver, which I find very strange. I know a couple who are both insured to drive the car, but one hasn't driven for years and doesn't intend to unless absolutely necessary. Having them both on the policy made it considerably cheaper.

mrlennie
31-Aug-10, 14:07

[lol] and some extra letters

Bazeye
31-Aug-10, 21:45
Found this on another forum

Faked crashes are at an all-time high – and are driving up insurance premiums for innocent drivers. Find out if the fraudsters are operating near you

Staged car “accidents” have cost insurers a total of £350m in the past year, new figures show, driving up premiums for others on the road by an average of £44 per motorist.

“Crash for cash” scams typically involve a fraudster driving to a busy junction or slip road and performing potentially dangerous emergency stops to force innocent motorists to crash into them. The conmen then claim for damage to their cars, often personal injury, and sometimes recovery or storage fees on top.

Are you at risk?
Sgt Mark Beales of the Greater Manchester Police warns the choice of victims is no accident.

“What these fraudsters tend to pick on are single mums or elderly people, people who are less likely to cause them any issues,” he says. "They also target commercial vehicle drivers, who tend not to care as much as they're not driving their own vehicle."

The Insurance Fraud Bureau (IFB), which released the figures, says there is growing evidence to suggest some fraudsters are using the profits from fake crashes to fund other criminal activity, such as drug trafficking and gun running.

The IFB data also reveals the country’s most likely spots for bogus crashes. In recent years, the practice of crashing for cash has tended to be centred on north-west England. But this year’s figures show that Birmingham is now the UK’s top spot for staged crashes, while parts of London appear in the Top 10 cities for the first time.

The full Top 10 list is as follows:

1. Birmingham
2. Liverpool
3. Blackburn
4. Manchester
5. Leeds
6. London East
7. Oldham
8. Bradford
9. London North
10. Bolton

"With alarming stats from the IFB suggesting that crash for cash schemes have never been more prolific, it’s no wonder that premium costs are rising so sharply,” says Will Thomas, head of motor insurance at Confused.com.

"It’s no coincidence that all of these [hotspots] have been subject to massive insurance price hikes in the last 12 months, with Blackburn suffering worst with a 43% increase.”

Glen Marr from the IFB warns that the scam costs everyone. "Overall, fraud adds £44 to the insurance premium of every motorist," he says, "no matter what no-claims bonus or safe driving record he or she may have."

The added cost is another unwanted burden for motorists when other car expenses, such as petrol and road tax, have been soaring recently. And, of course, deliberate accidents could cause serious injury to innocent motorists.

mrlennie
31-Aug-10, 23:13
The full Top 10 list is as follows:

1. Birmingham
2. Liverpool
3. Blackburn
4. Manchester
5. Leeds
6. London East
7. Oldham
8. Bradford
9. London North
10. Bolton
11. Wick

There you go :)

Rictina
31-Aug-10, 23:22
Ours has shot up too this year, not impressed. :~(

Mad1man
31-Aug-10, 23:25
Renewal quote from the AA was high, and Arnold Clark sent me in a quote - When I told the AA they beat the Arnold clark quote to keep my business - over £100 saved. so get the quotes and te4ll them you'll move if they don't want to be competitive.

orkneycadian
10-Mar-11, 21:09
Renewal came in today. Was expecting a big hike, considering the posts above, and intelligence gleaned elsewhere, that premiums were on the way up, big style. Got settled down, dram in hand and opened the envelope.....

Nearly 20% lower than last year, and not even started shopping around yet! Not complaining though, but thought there was a supposition towards higher premiums all round?

One of the advantages I guess of slowly turning into an old fart....

Gronnuck
10-Mar-11, 21:16
I always always shop around on-line and usually get it cheaper than my renewal notice.
A couple of years ago I was with Direct Line. After shopping around I found they were quoting me nearly 15% less that the renewal cost they had just sent me. So I cancelled my policy and took out another one with them. The explanation they gave was that I was a new on-line customer and they had a discount offer on!

Phill
11-Mar-11, 19:52
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12703857

Interesting reading, insurers getting referral fees for injury claims.

j_1971son
11-Mar-11, 21:30
after having to change from my insurers i was with for ten years two years ago, they bumped my premium up by £150 due to a claim i had to make for a lovely deer which decided it wanted a closer inspection of the front of my car, i then open my insurance this year to find that they wanted to do the same as well even though i had not made any more claims. So back on the pc and managed to get a quote which actually takes my monthly payments down, about £1 a month, so i fully expect to do the same next year. Comparethemarket.com two years in a row thankyou.