PDA

View Full Version : hit a wall in my research

cathy.wilson35
10-Aug-10, 20:59
Hello,

I have come up to a complete wall in my research and welcome any help anyone can give.

My problem is that I cannot find a birth for my 2x Great Grandfather John Campbell, nor came I find him in the Census's before he was married.

From his Marriage and Death certificate I know that his parents names where Helen Henry and John Campbell (Occupation Farmer), who is the reputed father as John was illegitimate. John's mother Helen went on to marry David Bremner and not John's father.

From the information I have gathered from the 1891 Census, 1901 Census, Marriage and Death certificates John should have been born around 1868 in Bower. I have tried search and both Scotlands People and Scot's Origins under John Henry, Hendry and Campbell and have come up empty handed. I have found John's mother in the 1871 and 1881 Census but John does not make an appearance but her other illegitimate children do.

I am at a loss of what else to try and would be grateful for any suggestions anyone is able to give.

spittalhill
10-Aug-10, 22:53
There is a birth in 1867 on a Family Search Pedigree Resource File

cathy.wilson35
10-Aug-10, 23:01
i've checked out Family Search Pedigree Resource File and unfortunately it only say abt 1867. Thank you for your help anyway.

Mike_Granove
01-Dec-10, 05:21
Hello,

This is my first day on this site and I too am tracing my family lines - our family is the Stewart family from Wick. My great grandfather was John Smith Stewart and I was told by my aunt that his cousin was John F Campbell - she has a newspaper clipping from the local paper in which John is making a presentation to my great grandfather in September 1887 just before my great grandfather left for America. Not sure if there is a connection or not or if any of this info helps...