PDA

View Full Version : Andrew Manson & Sinclair Baikie

wombatultima
08-Aug-10, 03:41
Hi everyone,

Another Caithness link.

In 1906 Andrew Manson & Sinclair Baikie celebrated their 25th wedding anniversary and they placed a notice in the Melbourne Argus as follows:-

MANSON-BAIKIE. —[Golden Wedding.]—On the 9th December, 1856, at St. Kilda, by the Rev. W Miller, Free John Knox's Presbyterian Church, Andrew Manson to Sinclair Baikile, both of Dunnet, Caithnesshire, Scotland Present addrees "Scotby," 34 Auburn parade, Hawthorn.

From the Electoral Rolls Andrew profession is given as living by independent means so I assume that he made some money - and kept it - during the gold rush in Victoria in the 1850s

The question to the group is anyone here has a Andrew Manson in their tree or perhaps knowledge of Andrew and his parents in Dunnet prior to 1856

Bill

Kyneton Victoria

Rosemary Skea
17-Aug-10, 02:45
Hi everyone,

Another Caithness link.

In 1906 Andrew Manson & Sinclair Baikie celebrated their 25th wedding anniversary and they placed a notice in the Melbourne Argus as follows:-

MANSON-BAIKIE. —[Golden Wedding.]—On the 9th December, 1856, at St. Kilda, by the Rev. W Miller, Free John Knox's Presbyterian Church, Andrew Manson to Sinclair Baikile, both of Dunnet, Caithnesshire, Scotland Present addrees "Scotby," 34 Auburn parade, Hawthorn.

From the Electoral Rolls Andrew profession is given as living by independent means so I assume that he made some money - and kept it - during the gold rush in Victoria in the 1850s

The question to the group is anyone here has a Andrew Manson in their tree or perhaps knowledge of Andrew and his parents in Dunnet prior to 1856

Bill

Kyneton Victoria

I think Andrew Manson's parents were John Manson and Anne Murray. Andrew was born 18 Oct 1832. They were married 13 January 1827 and Anne was born in Watten. They also had daughter Margaret born 18 Jan 1830 and Janet born 14 Sep 1836. John was a joiner and they lived at Upper Greenland in 1841,1851,1861 census. Anne died in 1870 aged 74.

There was another Andrew Manson born in Dunnet in the same month to Sinclair Manson and Anne Durran but he was still living in Dunnet unmarried in the 1871 census, so that would rule him out.

Rosemary

Brisbane

RoGordon
06-Nov-10, 01:45
Andrew Manson was my gr grandfather's cousin. He eventually did well in Australia.

In a book on old Maldon Identities published in the late 1800's there was a good article on Andrew Manson ....
" MANSON, Andrew, of Baringhap, was born at Cathness, Scotland in 1832 and began life by serving about two years at the carpentering trade, leaving that to go into the wine and spirit business in Edinburgh, at which he remained about seven years.
He came to this colony in 1854, and first took a situation as waiter in the Eachange dining rooms, Collins Street. In 1855 he went to Burnt Creek diggings, and worked in that neighbourhood for about two years with indifferent success.
He next with two partners opened a store at Dunolly, and afterwards one at Maldon which a butcher's shop was added, with success. He then sold out to Warnock Bros., and bought a farm near Joyce's Creek, and carried it on three years, losing £550 thereby. ( The Warnock brothers were known to have been in Castlemaine in 1861.)
Andrew Manson sold out the Joyce's Creek property and started dairying in the neighbourhood of Maldon, which he kept for about six years and did well at. He afterwards leased 251 acres at Baringhup, which he has since bought, and now owns 525 acres freehold, the property named "Scotby". He devotes his land to dairy and general farming, and has been very successful.
He never aspired to public life, but has always taken a prominent part in connection with schools and churches in his district. Mr Manson intends now to sell his property and retire from the active pursuit of business."

Andrew Manson married Sinclair Baikie in 1856
They had two children that I know of :
John Murray Manson about 1857 - Married Mary Jane "May" Turton
Isabella Manson born 1859 - Married Alfred Henry Bryant in 1885

I have more little bits of information that I can find if you wish - please just ask
regards Ro

RoGordon
08-Nov-10, 03:24
Hi Bill,
would you like to email me on corndolly@optusnet.com.au - I have quite a bit of information about the Mansons.
We may be able to swap
Ro