PDA

View Full Version : Feuar's Houses, Olrig

AnneB
06-Aug-10, 12:29
I'm researching my family tree and have found this address on several censuses. Please can someone tell me which road they are on. I have googled them and cannot find any reference. I'd really appreciate any information.

Thumper
06-Aug-10, 15:54
Olrig is in the parish of castletown,hope this helps x

domino
06-Aug-10, 16:41
As far as I know the Feuars Houses were in the main Street up around where the Hotel is

gollach
06-Aug-10, 20:39
Olrig is in the parish of castletown,hope this helps x

Castletown is in the parish of Olrig.

Rosemary Skea
06-Aug-10, 22:50
As far as I know the Feuars Houses were in the main Street up around where the Hotel is

In the 1881 census, the Feuars houses were in ED6 schedule 2-256. The school masters house was schedule 1 and the Commercial Hotel 256, and the enumeration district " all the houses on each side of the main street in Castletown Village and a few of the immediately surrounding hamlet".

I would say that the feuars houses were on both sides of the main street between the school and the hotel.

Rosemary

Thumper
07-Aug-10, 09:15
Castletown is in the parish of Olrig.

Yip thats what i meant....blonde moment sorry! :D x

AnneB
07-Aug-10, 10:57
Thanks everyone. I'm very grateful for your help. I'm new to this so I hope I've put this post in the correct position!! Planning to visit soon and wanted to know the location so that I could take some photos.

Bruce MacMillan
11-Aug-10, 16:14
For those who haven't discovered it yet, the "street view" feature of Google maps has covered most of Scotland by now. I've just toured up & down the main street of Castletown from the comfort of my home computer.

It's a great tool for planning visits as well as it allows you to become familiar with visual landmarks.