PDA

View Full Version : How to build a family tree ??

David Banks
05-Aug-10, 18:16
I'm thinking of trying to assemble my family tree, but I would like some guidance before starting - SO ALL SUGGESTIONS ARE WELCOME !

1. It seems to me the most important item will be what software to use.
When I 'google' family tree, the first entry is www.ancestry.ca (http://www.ancestry.ca) which presumably is the Canadian face of ancestry.com.
A friend recommended Brother's Keeper at www.bkwin.com (http://www.bkwin.com).

2. Where can one go (websites ??) to view family trees already built by other people, to get hints or cross-references ?

3. For "1." and "2." -- I don't want to have to 'spend an arm and a leg' - just to prove my heritage.

Thank you

changilass
05-Aug-10, 18:53
Try genesreunited. Once you put what uou know on these sites you can search others trees and contact them and others will contact you to see if you have any conections.

Start with what you know for certain and speak to any older living relatives that you can.

Good luck, its addictive.

plasticjock
05-Aug-10, 21:15
Hullo David,
There are one or two things to consider before starting.

Do you just want to do a 'Family Tree' of names, dates & relationships?
If so, then you can do that online on several sites.

Or perhaps you'd like to do your 'Family History' and put 'flesh on the skeleton', so to speak? This is where you can add documentation, certificates, photos, audio and video information of memories by family members, biographical information and anecdotal information etc.
To go down this route you really need a standalone program such as Brothers Keeper, Roots Magic, Legacy etc. They usually have a video tutorial built-in and they generally have their own online forums for queries or requests.
My own personal choice is Roots Magic but they all have pluses and minuses.

All standalone programs allow you to output your information as a generic cross-platform GedCom file (GEnealogical Data COMmunication) which you can use to load into different programs and also publish your tree online.

domino
05-Aug-10, 23:20
Highly recommend LEGACY . The basic version is free. Have used it for years and it does all I need

Rosemary Skea
06-Aug-10, 04:23
Highly recommend LEGACY . The basic version is free. Have used it for years and it does all I need

I also use the programme and prefer it to others I have tried( and discarded).

Rosemary

Chligh
21-Oct-10, 19:52
Which Banks are you?

Beat Bug
21-Oct-10, 21:13
I've been using Genes Reunited, (part of Friends Reunited) for years now. It's free to use, but there's a charge of under £10 every 6 months to make contact with other members. I've found a 5th cousin on line!

Oddquine
22-Oct-10, 04:27
I've been using Genes Reunited, (part of Friends Reunited) for years now. It's free to use, but there's a charge of under £10 every 6 months to make contact with other members. I've found a 5th cousin on line!

I stopped paying that when I found that on the day payment was due, if it wasn't made, I couldn't even access the family trees I had already been given permission to view....and anyway, I didn't see why they should be charging people to see what I uploaded freely.

I get by quite well by just letting other members contact me and then passing on my email address to them. Works fine! ;)