PDA

View Full Version : Firefox crashing

orkneycadian
01-Aug-10, 14:05
Hello, hello, hello and all that stuff - First porting on this forum.....

Anyway, before it crashes again, any of you on here running Firefox over Win XP Pro and having the problems with repeated crashes? I have recently changed the home PC from Win2K/Netscape 9 to Win XP Pro / Firefox and wish I had just left it alone, as like so many others, suffer repeated Firefox crashes, which are annoying enough, but when restarting Firefox, it keeps reloading all the pages that were open previously, causing it to immediately recrash again!

Have rolled back Firefox from 3.6.something to 3.5.11 on the strength of advice found elsewhere by complainers of the same problem, but its still repeatedly crashing (and reloading all the pages!) under that version too!

Have turned off all add ons / plug ins, and aside from making a lot of pages not work, its still not stopping the crashes.

Disabling the "don't restore pages at time of crash" is a pest, as sometimes I do want to get back to the page I was on, as I can't remember how I got there, but Firefox seems to run through a load of restarts before giving you the "Well, this is embarrasing" dialogue box where you can pick and choose what pages to restore, and which not to. During that time, it keeps trying to restore all pages, and crashing anyway!

Come back Netscape, all is forgiven!

Brizer2k7
01-Aug-10, 18:48
Have you deleted all the temporary internet files and history? I know this is the most common thing IT support ask users to do but you didnt say you had tried that.

Also, have you ran scans using apps such as Malwarebytes, spybot search and destroy or Microsoft security essentials to make sure you dont have a few nasty viruses causing this?

dx100uk
02-Aug-10, 01:27
also wouldn't hurt to run ccleaner or glary utils

dx

orkneycadian
21-Aug-10, 04:05
Tried all sorts. Finally gave up on it, and unistalled it, before installing Google Chrome. What a difference. Not a single crash since, and a simple uncluttered screen. Far faster as well.

Sorry Mozilla, you've lost it since ditching Netscape and going Firefox....

kmahon2001
21-Aug-10, 08:55
Ever since the latest updates of Firefox, a lot of people (myself included) have had trouble with Firefox "hanging" when running webpages with embedded flash media or the like. I've got Vista running on my pc, so I'm not sure if my problems will be from the same issues that are causing your problems, but it may be worth a try.

Got this from the Mozilla Support pages, where a helpful poster seems to have sussed out a way to fix it.
Apparently the newest version of Firefox loads certain plugins in a separate process which, ironically, is actually intended to prevent system crashes - i.e. if one page goes down the whole system shouldn't go down. Unfortunately this new process absorbs a lot of system resources and so creates the hangups (better than a whole system crash, but no less frustrating!).

There is a way to go back to the previous method of loading plugins without downgrading your Firefox to an earlier version, or abandoning it altogether.

Here's a link to the instructions: -
http://www.technogadge.com/how-to-stop-firefox-plugin-container-exe-process/

I've done it myself and so far, I've not had any further hangups. Hope it helps.

orkneycadian
29-Aug-10, 22:15
Cheers for suggestions, but no going back now! Gotten too used to Chrome, its speed, its lack of bruck at the top of the screen, and the fact you can type anything you like in the URL / search box. No faffing around with Google.co.uk anymore - Just bung the search terms into the URL box and it'll sort it out for you!

Its as far ahead of Netscape as Netscape was/is of Internet Explorer. I would even go as far as saying its as far ahead of Firefox as FF was of IE, even though FF was full of bugs!

Never a single crash and web pages that are done in the blink of an eye.

So ta for the suggestions but the best advice I can offer back is CHROME!