PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know?

Vistravi
28-Jul-10, 12:15
What do i have to do to be a childminder? I have a svq3 in childcare. Would i have to do another course?

Now that my son is here i want to be around to see him grow and develop but i feel torn as i would like to work too. I feel that childminding may just satisfy both.

tootz
28-Jul-10, 12:23
Becoming a Childminder
To become a childminder you must, by law (The Regulation of Care Act 2001), register with the Scottish Commission for the Regulation of Care, the Care Commission (http://www.carecommission.com/). Anyone offering a childcare service in their own home for more than two hours a day for children under 16 years must be registered.

The Registration Process
The registration process is wide-ranging and rigorous, involving references, a health assessment, and police check on the potential childminder and every other adult over 16 in their household. The potential childminder's home is inspected too, to ensure it is a safe and suitable environment for children. View the Care Commission website, Childminding – A Guide To Registering (http://www.carecommission.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=104).

The registration process can take anything from six weeks to six months from the Care Commission receiving a correctly completed application form. Please don’t be put off by the thought of undertaking this process as help is readily available from SCMA. We have a team of dedicated staff on our Helpline to support you.

Training for Childminders
SCMA Induction training may also be available in your area. This training allows you to make an informed choice that childminding is the right career option and equips you with all the knowledge you will require to complete the application process to become a childminder.

After Registration
Following registration, the Care Commission carries out an annual inspection to monitor standards and premises. Childminders must show how they meet the criteria stated in the National Care Standards for Early Education & Childcare up to the age of 16. SCMA publishes a guide called Meeting the Standards which helps childminders assess their own work in relation to the national requirements. You will also be required to purchase Public Liability Insurance. This can be purchased from SCMA along with our membership package.

Hope This Helps :)

The Flea
28-Jul-10, 15:20
I'm sure there is course in Thurso College for that so maybe check out their website.

aburns2409
28-Jul-10, 19:36
Hi there i have been a registered child minder for 4 years now, first step i would suggest is to contact the care commission for a pack - then you read it if happy to continue you call them back and arrange a visit - fill out paper work pay £28 await your disclosure to come through and your registration to be processed.... There is a pre registration course you can do which consists of 7 nights of 2 and half hours once a week - this is not a necessity - does allow you to get funding - which is upto £350 towards the setup of your new business.... I would recommend joining the SCMA as you get a good rate for your liability insurance i pay £80 per year.... A re registration fee of £17 per year to the care comission and my stamp duty for being self employed of £12 a month....
The registration process depending on how quick your disclosure and anyone in the house over 16 their one comes back usually takes 3 - 5 months....
Legally you do not need any qualifications to become a reg child minder however the care comission does like you to have training in child protection and first aid - which all get provided free throught he scma and your local council...
If i can help in any way please let me know, Angela xx

weefee
29-Jul-10, 09:29
Hi,

http://www.childminding.org/contact-us/field-staff/highland

Janet Russell is the main contact for Caithness, her email is on this website which will give you lots of information. If you drop Janet a email then I'm sure she will be best placed to advise you when the next preperation course will be and anything else you need to know.

Good Luck x