PDA

View Full Version : Sherlock Holmes

Dog-eared
25-Jul-10, 21:57
Just watching the new Sherlock Holmes series on TV and although it is very good, the Sherlock Holmes character seems to be a blatant rip-off of the present Doctor Who character.
In fact his way of speaking is almost the same.

Serenity
25-Jul-10, 23:59
Considering the 2 main people behind it also work/have worked on Doctor Who and Matt Smith was their original first choice for Holmes that part doesn't seem surprising (I've not seen it yet or any current Who eps so can't actually comment)
I turned tv on at 10 to see if anything worth watching was on. This looked quite good but was 2/3rds through. Going to watch it on iPlayer I think.
I hadn't heard of it before and just chance I turned the tv on then. Was it advertised at all?

Bazeye
26-Jul-10, 00:34
Opiums the answer. Probably.

John Little
26-Jul-10, 07:14
I thought he was doing a Jeremy Brett. Very good i thought.

cuddlepop
26-Jul-10, 16:22
Just watching the new Sherlock Holmes series on TV and although it is very good, the Sherlock Holmes character seems to be a blatant rip-off of the present Doctor Who character.
In fact his way of speaking is almost the same.

I was watching and enjoying it and like you Oh was convinced we were watching a spin off of Doctor Who.:lol:

gillsbay
26-Jul-10, 19:38
I also enjoyed this but wondered why someone with an aneurism which could kill him at any time had not had his licence revoked by the DVLA

George Brims
26-Jul-10, 22:25
I myself don't see the point in anyone else doing Holmes for another twenty years, following the death of Jeremy Brett. That said, I enjoyed the movie with Robert Downey Jr, but it's almost like another character in many ways.

I recently finished reading "The Last Sherlock Holmes Story" by Michael Dibdin, where the famous sleuth goes in search of Jack the Ripper. I hope some day they film that one.

pegasus
26-Jul-10, 23:10
I myself don't see the point in anyone else doing Holmes for another twenty years, following the death of Jeremy Brett. That said, I enjoyed the movie with Robert Downey Jr, but it's almost like another character in many ways.

I recently finished reading "The Last Sherlock Holmes Story" by Michael Dibdin, where the famous sleuth goes in search of Jack the Ripper. I hope some day they film that one.
they did film it didnt they? cant remember if it was michel caine or peter cushning

for me to
Brett = Holmes
Hardwick = Dr Watson

Sporran
27-Jul-10, 00:05

Jeremy Brett was the best Sherlock Holmes of all, and Edward Hardwicke the best Dr Watson, in my opinion. I was very disappointed with Robert Downey Jr's portrayal of Holmes, and even more so with Jude Law's Watson.

they did film it didnt they? cant remember if it was michel caine or peter cushning

for me to
Brett = Holmes
Hardwick = Dr Watson

Yes, the film in question was 'Murder by Decree', starring Christopher Plummer as Sherlock Holmes, and James Mason as Dr Watson. It was released in 1979, and I've seen it a couple of times over the years. It was a good 'un!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_by_Decree

pegasus
27-Jul-10, 00:10
Jeremy Brett was the best Sherlock Holmes of all, and Edward Hardwicke the best Dr Watson, in my opinion. I was very disappointed with Robert Downey Jr's portrayal of Holmes, and even more so with Jude Law's Watson.

Yes, the film in question was 'Murder by Decree', starring Christopher Plummer as Sherlock Holmes, and James Mason as Dr Watson. It was released in 1979, and I've seen it a couple of times over the years. It was a good 'un!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_by_Decree

well done. thats it!

George Brims
27-Jul-10, 00:55
No, that isn't it. I checked the plot synopsis on imdb.com, and I remember watching that one. It's an entirely different story. The Michael Dibdin book has a much more twisted plot. It starts with a file being opened fifty years after Watson's death, and the whole thing is in his words.

Aaldtimer
27-Jul-10, 03:28
Watched this tonight with interest.
Don't find the main character convincing.
The plot was just ludicrous...Sherlock solves crimes...he doesn't have the crim coming to him and explaining what it's all about!
JL, if that was him doing Jeremy Brett (the best ever IMHO), sheesh ...it seemed more like Robin Williams to me!
In the opening scenes, Dr.Watson looked more like the little guy out Penn & Teller!
The antipathy between Mycroft & Sherlock seems a bit of a set up for future episodes, but I can't recall any such thing from the novels...although it has been a lot of years since I last read one.

Cattach
27-Jul-10, 12:01
I also enjoyed this but wondered why someone with an aneurism which could kill him at any time had not had his licence revoked by the DVLA

Obviously had not told them!! Anyway I normally do not like those remakes set from an earlier period into modern times but this was very good. Enjoyed it from start to finish.

gillsbay
27-Jul-10, 12:42
Obviously had not told them!! Anyway I normally do not like those remakes set from an earlier period into modern times but this was very good. Enjoyed it from start to finish.

He wouldn't need to, in these circumstances the doctor is obliged to as the person involved would be a danger on the road

Shabbychic
27-Jul-10, 14:04
I wasn't sure what to expect from this. After "The Silence", and a few other duff offerings recently, I really wasn't expecting this to be up to much, but was pleasantly surprised. It didn't take itself too seriously, and I loved the subtle humour. Looking forward to the next one.:D

Errogie
27-Jul-10, 21:52
I also noticed the Dr. Who similarities but thought the first episode was excellent. Awaiting his violin playing with interest to see if the music has moved on with the times and the rapid fire deductions from his observations still works well.

Are three nicotine patches at once some sort of addictive replacement for the original opium?

Fluff
27-Jul-10, 22:03
I enjoyed it, didn't think I would. Sadly I ruined it for myself on Sunday by managing to tune in at the exact point where he realised 'who dunnit'!
I am looking forward to the new episode on Sunday

robglysen
27-Jul-10, 22:35
His attitude seemed to steal an awful lot from House, which ironically is based on Holmes!

gillsbay
27-Jul-10, 22:59
Are three nicotine patches at once some sort of addictive replacement for the original opium?

no, a replacement for the pipe, hence the three patch problem, mirroring the original three pipe problem