PDA

View Full Version : Is cheaper better?

upolian
23-Jul-10, 10:13
As above,

Do you go for the cheaper products in a shop?
Do you phone up a company offering the cheapest offer?

Does the quality of the product/service suffer because of the lower price?

Would be good to hear people's views.....

tiger woods
23-Jul-10, 10:22
As above,

Do you go for the cheaper products in a shop?
Do you phone up a company offering the cheapest offer?

Does the quality of the product/service suffer because of the lower price?

Would be good to hear people's views.....
Post #74 in 'Heard a rumour' thread will go some way to answering your questions.

Vistravi
23-Jul-10, 10:27
It depends on what it is really. For example a broadband package. You could get a really cheap deal but get rubbish service and if you are a downloader the cheapest deal offered usually does not allow for a download limit.

Sometimes its worth paying a bit more for some things.

Beat Bug
23-Jul-10, 10:34
The best you can afford is always the best option. But with services, such as broadband or insurance, the one that closest matches your needs is the best.

tiger woods
23-Jul-10, 10:56
The best you can afford is always the best option. But with services, such as broadband or insurance, the one that closest matches your needs is the best.
Well said Beat Bug. You obviously have your head screwed on the right way. Some rep coming your way.

Phill
23-Jul-10, 11:24
Cheaper is better if it is for the same item / service. That is a no brainer.

Where the issue lies is in the quality of said product / service. What a lot of people (IMHO) are confusing is cheap & quality.
There is also a lot to be said for service (as in the service by the people you get said items from) and the follow up / return when faulty service.

We constantly hear grumblings about Ryanair and Easyjet, bobbins service and you have to pay extra fer yer bags and a can of pop on the plane (and possibly the loo soon) but the flights cost £8 !!!!! This is cheap, not quality. You want quality you fly BA for £130 instead.

I will pay, on occasion, more for something when I know the backup/service afterwards will be there and it will benefit me.

Other things will be screwed down as far as possible on price, but I will be keeping a very close eye on what I get for that price.

I will also pay a little extra for certain things to support a certain business in a certain area, this is a long winded way doesn't necessarily cost more in the longer term if you look at the bigger picture.

EDDIE
23-Jul-10, 15:13

I would disagree with that all your doing is judging the quality purely buy the price tag only time i go for brand names is when its food or health related products everthing else its a case of who has the best deal.
I bought a few pairs of jeans out of asda £4 pair ok its a unknown brand but at that price how can you lose compared to buying a top brand for about £50 just because u can afford to waste money i could go on and on.
If you went back 20 to 30 year then yes maybey buying the best you can afford was the cheapest option in the long run but in this day and age the vast majority of products its prity reliable

ducati
23-Jul-10, 17:45
In answer to the question. No. Cheaper is worse. Almost always. :eek:

George Brims
23-Jul-10, 17:50
I was in the checkout queue at a "99 cent only" store recently. Hanging up by the checkout were various items including do-it-yourself pregnancy tests. A bloke behind me said to his wife "I wonder who buys pregnancy tests at a 99 cent store?" She said, pointing to the adjacent item "People who buy their condoms here?"