PDA

View Full Version : New BBC News Website

Serenity
17-Jul-10, 15:52
Not only do I not like the look of it much, I have found a fault.

When you put your location as Scrabster or Thurso, for example, in the BBC homepage it correctly identifies you as being part of what they designate Highland.
When you do this on the BBC News page it defaults your local news to North East, Orkney and Shetland (despite all news for Caithness I have ever seen on BBC news coming under the Highland section). I can only guess they are going by postcode, but why not re-use the same script (which works) that the actual homepage uses? Goes against the basic software engineering rule of not re-inventing the wheel, but I guess they had to use the license fee somehow.
I will be contacting them about this shortly. Just wondered if anyone else had noticed it and also what people think about the new format in general?

Edit: Works correctly for Wick, so maybe not postcode?

sinclairbay
17-Jul-10, 16:14
I'm not that keen on it. It' funny,I've just realised I had a set routine when looking through the site.
The thing I do like is being able to look down the front page and see the latest headlines in each section along with pictures. What I would love to see is customisable pages, like iGoogle so I can only see the news sections I'm interested in

jimbews
17-Jul-10, 16:33
Not only do I not like the look of it much, I have found a fault.

When you put your location as Scrabster or Thurso, for example, in the BBC homepage it correctly identifies you as being part of what they designate Highland.
When you do this on the BBC News page it defaults your local news to North East, Orkney and Shetland (despite all news for Caithness I have ever seen on BBC news coming under the Highland section). I can only guess they are going by postcode, but why not re-use the same script (which works) that the actual homepage uses? Goes against the basic software engineering rule of not re-inventing the wheel, but I guess they had to use the license fee somehow.
I will be contacting them about this shortly. Just wondered if anyone else had noticed it and also what people think about the new format in general?

Edit: Works correctly for Wick, so maybe not postcode?

The location setting has always been a bit suspect.
In St Andrews we have a KY (Kirkcaldy) postcode. It tells you correctly that KY16 is St Andrews, but then puts us in Tayside.
But any local news IS is Edinburgh, Fife and East Scotland (Open Golf news links for example).
The maps on the new pages are correct.
I'm not keen on the new format either.

NickInTheNorth
17-Jul-10, 17:08
Detest the new format!

nightspirit
17-Jul-10, 17:34
Nope - do not like it - over complicated tbh was fine and clear originally

Serenity
17-Jul-10, 18:38
jimbews - thing is it worked perfectly in Caithness in the old format.
NickInTheNorth - as always I agree with you :)
nightspirit - agree too.

Fluff
17-Jul-10, 19:45
I really disliked it to begin with, but it has really grown on me. I like the same as Sinclair bay, scrolling down and seeing the headlines without having to go to another page. I like it gives more headlines on a page.
Change is good :)

Phill
17-Jul-10, 20:00
I had a WTF moment followed by a mild bout of 'tinterweb rage.
However I have easily and quickly become accustomed to it and can easily find everythink I want to look at so I have put my strongly worded letter on hold for now.

Serenity
17-Jul-10, 20:34
I had a WTF moment followed by a mild bout of 'tinterweb rage.
However I have easily and quickly become accustomed to it and can easily find everythink I want to look at so I have put my strongly worded letter on hold for now.

I don't do strongly worded letters (i.e. rants in most cases). Just going to point out the error that when you choose parts of highland it gives you Aberdeen.

I am still not accustomed as I normally browse on my phone and the old version was so much better for that. But I'll live :)

kas
18-Jul-10, 20:12
Its terrible, far to busy for my liking.
I wonder how much they paid someone to come up with the new format??