PDA

View Full Version : Thurso Co-op car park housing

Fran
28-Jun-06, 21:10
noticed to-day the houses being built at thurso Co-op car park. what a ridiculous site to build houses on, with windows looking over the car park . the air into these houses will be full of exhaust fumes etc. there will be noise, polution, no privacy as they are all so close together.
Obviously passed by the same planning committee who refused Asda's store application.
These houses should not have been built on this site, why was it allowed.
Also, the site earmarked for Asda is to be used for a hotel. doesn't make sense to me. Asda would have had a single storey unit whereas a hotel could be huge, like the new Weigh Inn Motel, surely the residents in the area wont want that.
Also, isn't it a bit silly to build a new hotel right in front of an exisitng one!
Seems to me, the planning committee dont know what they are doing.

what do you think?:roll:

footie chick
28-Jun-06, 21:13
How would they fill all of the hotels? certainly wouldn't be with shoppers![lol] [lol]

Ricco
28-Jun-06, 21:20
Its dreadful the way that builders squish in lots of housing on one site - money-grabbing teifs! They are looking for the greatest possible return on a site. Just up the road they have only just knocked down 3 bungalows - they're planning to put 15 double apartments on that site. The driveway will exit straight onto a cross-road junction. And they got planning right away despite the objections. Backhanders?

burstbucker
28-Jun-06, 21:25
Why shouldn't they build next to a car park, lots of houses are built next to car parks and busy roads?

Fran
28-Jun-06, 23:12
Why shouldn't they build next to a car park, lots of houses are built next to car parks and busy roads?

Yes, next to, but not in. these houses are in the car park with cars parked right up to them and the houses are also right on the road, have you seen them?

Naefearjustbeer
28-Jun-06, 23:47
I dont think they have built them in the car park, where they built them is directly along the edge of the car park but that was never part of the car park.

theone
29-Jun-06, 01:32
If the council had any hint of forward thinking they would have not allowed the housing, got a compulsory purchase order and extended the carpark.

That would have removed Thursos parking congestion problems for years to come.

Loafer
29-Jun-06, 06:44
How would they fill all of the hotels? certainly wouldn't be with shoppers![lol] [lol]

Through my work I deal with a lot of travellers/contractors. Getting a hotel room in Thurso at ANY time of the year is horrendous. Another hotel wuld be great.

The Loafer

dunderheed
29-Jun-06, 07:09
the people building these flats (could be obriens) are also looking to get permission to knock down the old brewery next door to the new flats to build more too.
my main worry if i bought one of these new flats wouldnt be the smell of the fumes from the carpark at my back window but the smell from the fumes from the petrol station practically on my front doorstep

dirdyweeker
29-Jun-06, 09:50
sounds like the residents of the new flats will at least have car parking facilities. Mind you does the signs not say the car park is for shoppers at the Co-op and time is limited? Is there car parking available for these flats as most folk nowadays seem to own a car?

dunderheed
29-Jun-06, 10:11
looks like there is gonna by a wee private carpark / forecourt area in front of the flats

dozy
29-Jun-06, 10:59
Just more crap houses from crap builders ..from crap planning ..giving crap housing associaton rentable or affordable housing ...All using Taxpayers money ..Its a Sorry state that Crappy Thurso is hell bent on taking ..Its another eyesore ...The lunatics are running the asylum.....

Loafer
29-Jun-06, 19:33
the people building these flats (could be obriens) are also looking to get permission to knock down the old brewery next door to the new flats to build more too.
my main worry if i bought one of these new flats wouldnt be the smell of the fumes from the carpark at my back window but the smell from the fumes from the petrol station practically on my front doorstep

Dinna hold your breath about the old brewery. It is a listed building and a place of great national heritage. I for one will get on to my councillor to block any plans to demolish it as it would be against the local plan. What could we call it, a black belt area?!

The new houses shouldna worry about petrol fumes, the fumes coming out of the old brewery that has masqueraded as a toilet for years will be MUCH worse!

The Loafer

dunderheed
30-Jun-06, 07:50
i agree loafer , the old brewery should be preserved. the contractors have claimed that it would be cheaper to rebuild than restore .
i hope that something is done to either preserve it or make it safe.
it would be good if someone could buy it over and turn it back into an independant brewery. not only could they sell the end product but they could also sell the by product as fodder and do brewery tours.

Murdina Bug
30-Jun-06, 09:25
That's never going to happen. Unless a lot of folk campaign/complain NOW (see article on the Org front page a few days ago) then it is more than likely that the Brewery will be torn down. Many schemes have been proposed for this over the years but sadly the capital required to refurish at this point is probably too much for anyone to take on.

Like a lot of historic buildings if you leave it long enough that it falls to pieces and becomes financially unviable the developers can then say that it would be better at least to take it down than leave it. I think there is a similar situation happening at the Kiln in Thurso and probably the next one will be the old mill at Castletown which is collapsing before your eyes - or that eyesore at the corner of Princes St in Thurso.

Countryman
30-Jun-06, 09:29
Come on now - derelict tin roofed eyesore - should have been demolished years ago - when was it last used - must be at least 30 years ago if not more.
If the planning committee has any common sense they would have demanded that it should be used or demolished - who owns it do they pay rates ??

Loafer
01-Jul-06, 21:58
i agree loafer , the old brewery should be preserved. the contractors have claimed that it would be cheaper to rebuild than restore .
i hope that something is done to either preserve it or make it safe.
it would be good if someone could buy it over and turn it back into an independant brewery. not only could they sell the end product but they could also sell the by product as fodder and do brewery tours.

I am sorry dunderheed if you did not appreciate the sarcasm in my statement. The sooner that eyesore is down, the better as far as I am concerned.

They say sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, but I love it!

The Loafer