PDA

View Full Version : Dishwasher help

teenybash
14-Jul-10, 00:38
I have been given a countertop dishwasher and need to connect the cold water inlet hose to the cold water supply, but have no idea how to do this or what I need. The hose is the same as the one on washing machine....sorry if this sounds muddled, but I am muddled at how to do it.:roll:
Any advice gratefully recieved

Phill
14-Jul-10, 09:26
You might need someone to help with your plumbing here.

The feed into the dishwasher is the same as the washer, however if you only have one outlet in your kitchen then you'll need to split it.
Depending on the age / condition of your plumbing this could be quite easy or a bit awkward.

There are things that you can get like a Y connector to split the feed but these are often poor fitting and leak, and also awkward to fit.

If your plumbing is in good nick and easily accessible, all you'll need is a T piece and an additional appliance tap connector and a short bit of pipe. The fittings can be the speedfit / pushfit type and try and scab a short piece of copper.

John Little
14-Jul-10, 09:43
Alternatively you can buy outlet valves that clamp round your pipe - then you screw the tap down so it pierces the water pipe - which means that you do not have to have complicated plumbing....

annthracks
14-Jul-10, 11:37
Be aware though, unless you have decent water pressure (and even then it's no guarantee) if you go for a splitter/Y connector from your washing machine feed, you might not be able to run both appliances at the same time, as one could end up robbing the other of water.

jeremyjester
14-Jul-10, 11:55
Any hardware store can put you right, go for the connection John Little suggests, by far and away the easiest.

annthracks
14-Jul-10, 12:02
Any hardware store can put you right, go for the connection John Little suggests, by far and away the easiest.

don't "hot tap" upstream of (below) your isolation valve though :)

jeremyjester
14-Jul-10, 12:04
You could always go back to washing by hand.

John Little
14-Jul-10, 12:40
http://evertophealth.co.uk/filters-accessories/self-tapping-saddle-valve/prod_17.html

This is the sort of thing

teenybash
14-Jul-10, 13:41
You could always go back to washing by hand.
Noooooo!!!!:)

http://evertophealth.co.uk/filters-accessories/self-tapping-saddle-valve/prod_17.html

This is the sort of thing
This sounds perfect...........thank you.
Easy when you know how and now I do!!!:D

jeremyjester
14-Jul-10, 13:44
Another happy customer, Hooray.:lol::lol:

John Little
19-Jul-10, 17:30
Have you found any of those self-tapping valves yet?

I was tidying out my shed today and found two of them!

teenybash
19-Jul-10, 19:16
Found them on the internet called self tapping saddle valve......:)

John Little
19-Jul-10, 19:28
That's the chaps! I take it you have one on the way?