PDA

View Full Version : Tatties and garlic

Leanne
08-Jul-10, 15:19
I'm not vain enough to post in the farming and crofting part lol

I'm just starting out and have planted tatties, neeps, carrots, cabbage, garlic and onions and all seem to be growing well :)

I had some seed potatoes and garlic left over with nowhere to put it so just popped it in last year's muck heap and ignored it - well this is the one that is doing the best! Flowering already and already a few small 'fruits'.

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh22/l34nn3_k4ut/Tattiesngarlic.jpg

Guess what we're having tonight for tea...

I'm going to pop the tatties garlic and some rosemary in a roasting tin and make them all nice and crispy to be served with local farm sausages. All local produce apart from the olive oil...

puffin croft
08-Jul-10, 18:02
well done leanne! looks lovely!!

Beat Bug
09-Jul-10, 14:58
First time for me too. Hope mine turn out as good as yours look!

Hogfather
09-Jul-10, 15:47
That's a very striking purple garlic!:cool: Do you know what variety it is? Ours are just boring white ones (Roja and Solent Wight), won't be ready for a few weeks yet, but they store really well (still using last years stored Solent Wight, think we might have gone a bit mental with the amount we planted! :eek:)
I like funny coloured veg!

Leanne
09-Jul-10, 17:59
Thanks all :)

That's a very striking purple garlic!:cool: Do you know what variety it is? Ours are just boring white ones (Roja and Solent Wight), won't be ready for a few weeks yet, but they store really well (still using last years stored Solent Wight, think we might have gone a bit mental with the amount we planted!
I like funny coloured veg!

The garlic is common garden "sprouting at the back of your fridge"type ;) and the tatties are roosters and charlotte.

lydia.bain
09-Jul-10, 19:50
well done, they look great. I can do tatties but when did you know to harvest the garlic? thanks
lydia

puffin croft
09-Jul-10, 20:43
tradition says u plant garlic on the shortest day and harvest it in the longest day.

Leanne
09-Jul-10, 23:52
tradition says u plant garlic on the shortest day and harvest it in the longest day.

Or poke in the soil to see if it's fat enough yet. It's very nearly ready...

lydia.bain
11-Jul-10, 17:45
cool, might give it a try.i find growing plants etc can be very rewarding :-)