PDA

View Full Version : ideas please

elastic band
05-Jul-10, 15:19
Hi folks,

got visitors coming up mid-July for a week and looking for some ideas of where to take them. They have never been this far North before so it will be compulsory trip to J.O.G, possibly Orkney, any ideas for a nice sheltered beach or drive up west.

thanks folks in advance

ducati
05-Jul-10, 15:23
If you're feeling reasonably adventurous, the RIB from JOG out to Stroma for the wildlife cruise is a must. Or the JOG ferry does similar if you are happier on a bigger boat :eek:

badger
05-Jul-10, 15:30
Castle of Mey and Mary Ann's Cottage for a less good weather day. Nice contrast between homes of two old ladies left much as they were when occupied.

Sage
05-Jul-10, 16:01
How about the Stacks at Duncansby? They never fail to impress

Or how about a trip to Dunnet Beach for an afternoon stroll if its nice weather? Farr beach near Bettyhill is gorgeous (I think its Farr, the sheltered one you reach behind the Church and Museum?)

or Camster Cairns if they're into their ancient monuments

riggerboy
05-Jul-10, 16:14
if i`m at home ye can take them to mine for a cuppo t, i`ll show them roond the hoose, and then take em to the front garden where they can see across the road,,,,

failing that wonderful experiance take them to the heritage place doon in bank row, you can spend a whole day there hids a wonderful place

Phill
05-Jul-10, 16:34
if i`m at home ye can take them to mine for a cuppo t, i`ll show them roond the hoose, and then take em to the front garden where they can see across the road,,,,

Ahhh, but can yer do a proper cuppo t? none of this weak, girly, milky rubbish.

La mirage is always worth a shot at Helmsdale, some chish n' fips then walk it off round the harbour n strath.

riggerboy
05-Jul-10, 17:08
Ahhh, but can yer do a proper cuppo t? none of this weak, girly, milky rubbish.

La mirage is always worth a shot at Helmsdale, some chish n' fips then walk it off round the harbour n strath.

here chap ye only get 3 bag t in ma hoose strong enough to tar the road with,

fender
05-Jul-10, 17:56
Whalligoe Steps and Badbea. Dunbeath Strath,Dunnet Head, Sinclair Girnigoe Castle Berriedale Harbour, Latheron Harbour the list is endless.

oldmarine
05-Jul-10, 18:05
Whalligoe Steps and Badbea. Dunbeath Strath,Dunnet Head, Sinclair Girnigoe Castle Berriedale Harbour, Latheron Harbour the list is endless.

All of these places plus the Orkneys fascinated me and my family. My children enjoyed the city life at Edinburgh. I enjoyed the simple life and sights at Thurso. My wife enjoyed Castletown. Lots of enjoyable places in Northern Scotland.

RN1995
05-Jul-10, 19:29
Hi, you could take them out on the Caithness Seacoast RIB, in Wick. You can go north to Sinclair Girnigoe Castle and Sinclair Bay etc or you can go south to the Waligoe steps etc. You also see lots of wildlife, caves and lots more. Its realy good :D !

www.caithness-seacoast.co.uk (http://www.caithness-seacoast.co.uk)

Mobile - 07747404128

Office - 01955 609200

glaikit
05-Jul-10, 20:18
Scotland's Haven

elastic band
05-Jul-10, 21:26
Hi folks,

thanks so much for all replies so far. I'm very grateful and appreciate anyone taking the time to reply.

Still happy to receive any more ideas.

thanks again

annemarie482
05-Jul-10, 21:56
wick heritage centre,
dunrobin castle,
sinclair bay beach (gorgeous!)
camster cairns
sea coast tours

poppett
05-Jul-10, 22:44
Make a day of it and head west going off the beaten track to the hidden charms of Sutherland`s north coast. Smoo cave, Sango sands at Durness and Balnakeil village to the bistro and cocoa mountain. Amble back with the sun setting.............a glorious day and some of the best scenery in the world, bar none.

Another favourite is down the A9 to Laidhay croft museum and tea shop.......a brilliant breakfast or homebaking to tempt you there, La Mirage in Helmsdale as previously mentioned, and back up the Strath Halladale is a lovely run too.

Wherever you take your visitors they will love the scenery and fine fare of the northern counties.

Saveman
06-Jul-10, 10:02
Apart from all that have been mentioned so far....
Olrig Hill viewpoint on a clear day is er....bonny.

Caithness Horizons is always worth a visit.