PDA

View Full Version : Not responding.

scaraben
29-Jun-10, 11:41
Like most good natured guys I don't get ruffled at the odd "Not responding" but for the past couple of weeks I meet this message at every turn !! What on earth has gone wrong with my computer..... any ideas ??

nightspirit
29-Jun-10, 20:49
You may have one of the following things :_

A: a virus

B: malware (no it is not the same as a virus)

c: faulty hardware

D: an overheating system due to dust/dirt clogging the vents.

I was having a terrible time with this (overheating) until i took the case off my machine and cleared the fans, grills and heat sinks with a hoover.

For the malware try something like super antispyware i have found this good may also be worth downloading ccleaner and running this as it is good for this and also slow systems.

finally you can try running the onboard diagnostics that comes in the BIOS of most new machins hangibng/freezing can be a sign of a hdd that is about to fail.

Serenity
30-Jun-10, 00:20
Not trying to be funny but it could be any one of those things and/or many more.
How about you listen to the advice you have repeatedly been given when asking questions here and also read the stickies so as to give us some more information to go on.

scaraben
30-Jun-10, 11:16
I have vista as my operating programme, I can't think what more info. I can give. For example right now as I read your message I decided to minimise the window, and it went smaller as I wanted, but I noticed that the former full-sized window was still there behind it. In the top left hand corner it states : NOT RESPONDING !! and if I wait long enough it disappears. In fact almost every time there's a reluctance to respond ( and that's often ) this happens. I did run antispyware as suggested and a cleaner. The cleaner told me I had a virus of some sort and lots of things that need to be removed, but will not remove it unless you buy the product and to tell the truth i just can't afford to buy it at the moment. I would be grateful if you could advise me of a cleaner that, when downloaded, would do it for free !! Apart from that that is all the information i can give you.

dx100uk
30-Jun-10, 16:26
ah
classic example of the spoof windows antivirus program, that appears in many forms.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

should do the job

or run / install
microsoft security essentials.

dx

scaraben
01-Jul-10, 22:19
Iam deeply appreciative of the advice you guys have given me, but as I say I just cant afford to buy the downloads you recommend at the present moment. (I'm afraid the new bedroom suite comes 1st & I've had a lot of expence on the car just recently !! ) So unless you can point me in the direction of a download cleaner that does'nt end up saying "We will remove 10 but to remove the other 112 you need to buy the product !!! I'm stuck with the problem. I have tried System Restore and it has improved the speed and "Not responding" has been a little less, but its still around. Anyway as I say I am grateful for your response.

dx100uk
01-Jul-10, 22:28
you dont need to pay for anything
its free!!

i'll do it remotely for you if you wish?

send me a PM with a valid email address.

dx

dx100uk
01-Jul-10, 23:12
run this:

http://onecare.live.com/site/en-US/center/howsafe.htm?s_cid=mscom_msrt

dx