PDA

View Full Version : Peanuts

highland red
23-Jun-10, 18:01
I know I asked the question about why "Sparrows" were going mad on peanuts in a previous post : and I thought it's because they had wee ones. That appears to be the ongoing theme as it appears that at least two pairs (male and female) are feeding newly fledged youngsters AND going to nearby nests as well.

Is this normal behaviour?

nirofo
24-Jun-10, 15:42
I know I asked the question about why "Sparrows" were going mad on peanuts in a previous post : and I thought it's because they had wee ones. That appears to be the ongoing theme as it appears that at least two pairs (male and female) are feeding newly fledged youngsters AND going to nearby nests as well.

Is this normal behaviour?

Peanuts are great food items for the birds, but the whole ones can cause problems if fed to young in the nest, far better to put out peanut granules. These smaller pieces are good for the young providing the birds don't become too dependant on them, other types of seeds, mealworms, earthworms and maggots are good and most birds will take them. If you've got a compost heap in the garden there should be plenty of small worms in there, Robins, Blackbirds, Thrushes and lots of other birds love them.

Here's a photo of a Song Thrush feeding it's favourite food to it's young.

Song Thrush feeding young in nest.
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o71/nirofo/Birds/Song-Thrush-feeding-young-in-nest.jpg

nirofo.