PDA

View Full Version : Question about budget announcement

ShelleyCowie
22-Jun-10, 18:37
Well i seen today that the "Sure start Maternity grant" has been 'abolished' as the news said. Just wondering when that is happening?

I sent mine in the post yesterday. So will i still get it or is it instantly being cut?!

Just not sure because they never said a date for that one. Only mentioned a date for the HIP grant.

Cheers! :Razz

Leanne
22-Jun-10, 18:53
Damn I always miss out! Should have popped a sprog before now eh?

ShelleyCowie
22-Jun-10, 18:57

im not sure if you are being sarcastic or serious. But i was just looking for a question answered :confused

Gordon Bonnet
22-Jun-10, 19:10

Hardly a recommended course of action for a few pounds in your purse.
I also detect a note of sarcasm. This chimes with the miserable, mean minded assertions of those who see all children's benefits as a price not worth paying.

Thankfully, a minority share this sour brained outlook.

That some - hopefully the neediest - receive a helping hand in producing future generatipons sits comfortably with me, but I fear the next few years will be choppy. Best draw in your loins skinted ladies, until the economy takes a turn for the better.

Leanne
22-Jun-10, 19:22
I also detect a note of sarcasm. This chimes with the miserable, mean minded assertions of those who see all children's benefits as a price not worth paying.

That some - hopefully the neediest - receive a helping hand in producing future generatipons sits comfortably with me, but I fear the next few years will be choppy. Best draw in your loins skinted ladies, until the economy takes a turn for the better.

Actually my partner and I will be looking into IVF in the near future. It is something that has been put off for various reasons - maybe that was a bad idea... A pregnancy won't come in time to claim what all have claimed recently :(

I don't appreciate being called sour brained. It was a comment said in jest but meant in all seriousness. I think that comment say more about your own attitude than mine :(

Pouleriscaig
22-Jun-10, 19:24
I'm not an expert Shelly but from what I can gather from April 2011 the Health in Maternity Grant is stopped and the Sure Start Grant, which is presumably different (typical Man for not knowing the difference, eh?), will be restircted to the first child.
Good Luck with your pregnancy!

mums angels
22-Jun-10, 19:26
Sadly there are cases of some that "pop" out a sprog just for the income they generate . I was never entiltled to the grants and managed just fine even when we were on a low income , I personally would scrap it . When i had my kids you got a Grant for one child not everyone you had .

As for your question Shelly i very much doubt that it will be stoped with immediate effect as there will be people that have applied and are entitled to it so i am guessing that it may be next year like some of the other budget changes .

Sandra_B
22-Jun-10, 19:27
Other casualties in the benefits shake up included the health in pregnancy grant, which will be abolished from April next year, while the Sure Start maternity grant will be restricted to the first child.
Lone parents will also be expected to look for work when their youngest child starts school.
Tax credits will be reduced to families earning over £40,000 next year, the taper rate at which awards are reduced will be increased, and the baby element will be removed for new children from April 2011, as will the one-off payment to new workers over 50 from April 2012.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/budget/article-1288663/BUDGET-2010-Benefits-slashed-11bn-years.html?ITO=1708&referrer=yahoo#ixzz0rbkO9Afp

John Little
22-Jun-10, 19:31
I have not caught it all - did they say anything about banker's bonuses?

Gordon Bonnet
22-Jun-10, 19:45
Actually my partner and I will be looking into IVF in the near future.

I don't appreciate being called sour brained. It was a comment said in jest but meant in all seriousness. I think that comment say more about your own attitude than mine :(

If you look again I said your comment chimed with the 'sour brained' attitude of those who disagree with benefits for children. Thus, if this cap fits then wear it.

Regards 'IVF' - is this to be publicly funded? As you have introduced such a personal circumstance into a public forum I consider the question valid.
Ignore it if you wish. If this is the case it's a great pity that marriage is not a pre-requisite.

John Little
22-Jun-10, 19:53
Hey guys - she was joking!

I took it as a joke - and I bet I'm not the only one!

Let's be nice huh?

telfordstar
22-Jun-10, 20:54
Hey guys - she was joking!

I took it as a joke - and I bet I'm not the only one!

Let's be nice huh?

Never a truer word spoken

She said it was said in jest , end of. Why feel the need to drag it out, i will tell you why, cyber bullying!!!!!!!

The above about cyber bulling was SAID IN JEST, by the way!

ShelleyCowie
22-Jun-10, 21:12
Thanks for the info folks! I was just wondering as i had posted it yesterday and wondered if it was a case of anymore applicants was refused or whatever.

And yes Leanne was joking. I get that now and surely you kind folks will let me blame it on my hormones? hehe!

And for the record im not popping children for the money sake. This is my 2nd baby and the last!!! He aint even here yet and im sayin its the last haha. But it really is. And i have every intention on going back to work when this little one starts nursery.

Feel free to discuss further but i can close this thread at anytime if i see things getting too serious. Its not what i intended.

Gordon Bonnet
22-Jun-10, 21:15
Never a truer word spoken

She said it was said in jest , end of. Why feel the need to drag it out, i will tell you why, cyber bullying!!!!!!!

The above about cyber bulling was SAID IN JEST, by the way!

That's a relief. Poster 'Leanne' has 'bad repped' me and sent me
a private message saying I'm 'not nice'
So, that'll teach me not to speak out of turn in future.
Or will it ?
Close the thread by all means OP. Perhaps we can start one about IVF on the NHS.

John Little
22-Jun-10, 21:20
My point was a serious one though - about bankers.

I cannot appreciate 200 bankers getting a million pounds each in bonuses from Barclays alone whilst the government find it necessary to cut child benefit.

That is just obscene.

I know fine who I would rather have the money and I hope that the Chancellor's tax on banks stops them paying obscene amounts to people who man telephones buying stocks and shares with other peoples' money.

Just seen the above. I think this is a good thread.

Start a thread on IVF on the NHS if you like. But here it's thread drift and Shelley's point deserves an airing.

ShelleyCowie
22-Jun-10, 21:41
That's a relief. Poster 'Leanne' has 'bad repped' me and sent me
a private message saying I'm 'not nice'
So, that'll teach me not to speak out of turn in future.
Or will it ?
Close the thread by all means OP. Perhaps we can start one about IVF on the NHS.

I believe its Leannes choice to rep in whatever way she wants. And im pretty sure it wasnt necessary to say it on here. But thats your choice.

And maybe yes you can start a thread about IVF on the NHS. I can already guess it might be an interesting thread.

My point was a serious one though - about bankers.

I cannot appreciate 200 bankers getting a million pounds each in bonuses from Barclays alone whilst the government find it necessary to cut child benefit.

That is just obscene.

I know fine who I would rather have the money and I hope that the Chancellor's tax on banks stops them paying obscene amounts to people who man telephones buying stocks and shares with other peoples' money.

Just seen the above. I think this is a good thread.

Start a thread on IVF on the NHS if you like. But here it's thread drift and Shelley's point deserves an airing.

John, im sorry im not sure about the bonuses. But i agree completely that it doesnt seem right. Are their jobs really that "tough" to deserve such bonuses when there are people still on minimum wage...or even below!

Hopefully someone knows about the bankers bonuses to answer your question :Razz

John Little
22-Jun-10, 21:46
My point is that I think that some people are doing very well even in a recession.

Government spending is all about priorities. They choose what to spend the available cash on.

I just hope that they are not choosing to cut benefits to children whilst allowing people who work no harder than most to walk away with money that people have put into their banks.

If they do that then the effects of the cuts will not be equally shared - children will lose out and there will be a lot of anger. At present there is a general recognition that cuts are necessary. But it should be shared.

That's all.

But sorry Shelley - I cannot answer your question. I just think it's a shame that you have been put into this situation by a chancellor who can have no idea how ordinary folks live.

sweetpea
22-Jun-10, 23:23
Well i seen today that the "Sure start Maternity grant" has been 'abolished' as the news said. Just wondering when that is happening?

I sent mine in the post yesterday. So will i still get it or is it instantly being cut?!

Just not sure because they never said a date for that one. Only mentioned a date for the HIP grant.

Cheers! :Razz

Hey Shelley I'm pretty sure you will still get it usually takes a wee while for them to stop these things. It's a bout the price of a new hoover lol:)

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
23-Jun-10, 10:19
Actually my partner and I will be looking into IVF in the near future. It is something that has been put off for various reasons - maybe that was a bad idea... A pregnancy won't come in time to claim what all have claimed recently :(

I didnt get a SURE start grant Leanne , not all have claimed it - I think there was a pretty low income threshold??

EDIT: I replied before reading any further down thread.

squidge
23-Jun-10, 12:28
The increase in tax allowance will help and the child benefit freeze whilst not making us any better off will not make us any worse off. The reduction in tax credits to below £40 000 makesno difference to us as we are on much less than that. We might actually get the increase in the child element of tax credits of £150 so who knows...

The VAT rise however is likely to wipe all that out and if you have no children and are managing on NMW then its going to be all the harder for you.

tonkatojo
23-Jun-10, 13:42
The increase in tax allowance will help and the child benefit freeze whilst not making us any better off will not make us any worse off. The reduction in tax credits to below £40 000 makesno difference to us as we are on much less than that. We might actually get the increase in the child element of tax credits of £150 so who knows...

The VAT rise however is likely to wipe all that out and if you have no children and are managing on NMW then its going to be all the harder for you.

It looks like the saviour Osborn of the magic government was deceiving us it is £30000 and in some cases below, according to the 1o'clock news.

squidge
23-Jun-10, 13:47
See i knew it wouldnt be as straight forward as all that - flamin tories!!!!

sandyr1
23-Jun-10, 13:52

Hey! Wow! Man! Get a grip. If that is the best you can do, then perhaps....well you know the rest.