PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Ebay prices again......

porshiepoo
18-Jun-10, 13:58
How the heck do some of the sellers get away with feigning ignorance when it comes to the p&p costs?
I just bought 10kg of Koi food which included £8.50 p&p. I thought that amount to be a rip off anyway but hey ho it was no worse than the others.
Then I get an email today saying that the prices of p&p to the Highlands was almost double that and did I want to pay the extra or get a refund!
I wouldn't have been so annoyed if his advert had at any point suggested higher postage to here but it blinkin well didn't.
I emailed back and said that just as I was committed to honouring my end of the bargain by buying the item, so was he to produce the item at the stated cost and that if he wanted to renege on the commitment then I would complain to EBay but at no point am I being duped into paying extra postage.
Normally I would have just took the easy way and paid the extra or got a refund but I'm sick of these stupid postage costs now.

I assume that they don't send these items the usual way via the post office like the rest of us because I've sent heavy items and received heavy items at less p&p costs that £16.

Blinkin rip off!

Rant over!!

Now who do we need to annoy to get these postage costs bought in line with the rest of the UK???

Jeid
18-Jun-10, 14:17
Now who do we need to annoy to get these postage costs bought in line with the rest of the UK???

Admittedly, I feel your pain when buying goods online. The stuff I buy is light but the postage they add on for Highland Delivery is unreal.

There was a petition online for this, but as the Government has no power over how much companies charge, there's nothing they can do. They also said with the extra it'd cost on fuel etc, then they were within their right to charge extra.

I always add extra on for postage when selling stuff on eBay as I'm in the Highlands ;)

onecalledk
18-Jun-10, 14:42
anytime I am buying anything online I double check the postage to Caithness with the website before ordering anything. I take delivery of crystals which you can imagine are NOT light and some suppliers will opt to change their delivery means to accomodate sending this far north. Surprisingly one supplier used the royal mail and said he wouldnt even attempt to use a carrier as he knew full well I would get an extoriate rate of postage. It seems then it is the carrier companies.

Shop around. Ebay is not the big discount or bargain playground it used to be with lots of people realising that you can make more money selling the item for less and charging more postage. Ebay fees are for the item and not the postage !

The more people shop around and continue to ignore the companies charging extortionate rates the sooner they will HAVE to come into line or lose business......

K

NickInTheNorth
18-Jun-10, 15:18
It really is very simple.

Royal mail charge the same to anywhere in the UK.

Parcel farce charge about double for anything being sent to anywhere north of Glasgow/Edinburgh

MOST but not all couriers charge extra to the highlands.

When buying off ebay buy from sellers that use royal mail, or ask other sellers if they would be willing to do so as the costs are far less than most other couriers.

porshiepoo
18-Jun-10, 15:26
It really is very simple.

Royal mail charge the same to anywhere in the UK.

Parcel farce charge about double for anything being sent to anywhere north of Glasgow/Edinburgh

MOST but not all couriers charge extra to the highlands.

When buying off ebay buy from sellers that use royal mail, or ask other sellers if they would be willing to do so as the costs are far less than most other couriers.

That's what I have done with this guy.
I suggested he use the 'normal' route the same as the rest of us if it's the only way he can the stuff here at the price he sold them at.
Haven't heard back yet. lol.

onecalleddk: I did double check the postage and there was nothing to suggest a higher rate to the Highlands.
That's why I'm not prepared to pay the extra.

cazmanian_minx
18-Jun-10, 15:51
Tell me about it - I import a lot of beads from the far east and getting an order delivered from Southampton or Felixstowe to the north coast costs three times as much as getting it sent from Hong Kong or Shanghai to the UK! What really annoys me is that the standard sea route from Hong Kong to the UK takes 21 days and it'll often take another 14 days after Customs clearance for the stock to get to me as it gets passed from courier to courier. AJG usually does the final leg from Inverness and I have to say they're always absolutely brilliant.

Jeid
18-Jun-10, 16:34
Tell me about it - I import a lot of beads from the far east and getting an order delivered from Southampton or Felixstowe to the north coast costs three times as much as getting it sent from Hong Kong or Shanghai to the UK! What really annoys me is that the standard sea route from Hong Kong to the UK takes 21 days and it'll often take another 14 days after Customs clearance for the stock to get to me as it gets passed from courier to courier. AJG usually does the final leg from Inverness and I have to say they're always absolutely brilliant.

Haha, that always makes me laugh as well. I've had stuff sent from the States for much cheaper than in the UK! Madness.

AJG are always good.

badger
18-Jun-10, 17:07
I've almost given up on ebay which I used to use a lot as I started to find so many items much cheaper on Amazon and much of their stuff is free delivery. You can buy almost anything there these days and know exactly what you're paying.

scorrie
18-Jun-10, 17:07
I suggested he use the 'normal' route the same as the rest of us if it's the only way he can the stuff here at the price he sold them at.

onecalleddk: I did double check the postage and there was nothing to suggest a higher rate to the Highlands.

I have recently been through this on eBay. I purchased a 100 litre bag of vermiculite, which is a lightweight substance, and paid the £7 asked by the seller. Next thing I know he is trying to cancel the transaction, claiming I live in a country he doesn't ship to!! After I declined to cancel, he said I had to pay about £16 to have it shipped. After a while I found someone willing to ship the same item for £8.50 and agreed to a refund from the guy on eBay. However, he decides it's time to play silly beggars and claims he only refunds at the end of the month. I opened a dispute with Paypal and waited very patiently. Once they found in my favour, the seller left positive feedback for me, saying I had accepted HIS refund. I have no doubt that the Numb Nuts seller hadn't realised that only buyers can leave negative feedback on eBay now. I duly left him a negative for being so obstructive and for failing to list his postage correctly. eBay ask sellers to list bulky items as such and to list separate charges to reflect location, rather than using a flat rate as my seller had done.

onecalledk
18-Jun-10, 17:47

re the checking of postage, I email them to ask even if it is not stated that there is no extra charge to where I want sent to. That way there is also no comeback and no accidentally missing postage costs off websites...

agree with the other posters here where shipping from the US is CHEAPER than the UK and sometimes just a quick......

:)

porshiepoo
18-Jun-10, 21:40
re the checking of postage, I email them to ask even if it is not stated that there is no extra charge to where I want sent to. That way there is also no comeback and no accidentally missing postage costs off websites...

agree with the other posters here where shipping from the US is CHEAPER than the UK and sometimes just a quick......

:)

You shouldn't have to contact them to find out though.
An ebay advert should be correct and they have an obligation to sell the product as per their description including p&p costs, just as we have an obligation to pay the amount bought for.

If this numpty does not describe his postage costs accurately and has no information elsewhere on his page then it is his responsibility to honour the contract.

He's actually said he's going to try a different courier (good luck there) but that he'll cop the extra cost if he can't get it cheaper. His exact words were

AS YOU HAVE CLEARLY STATED YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO CONTRIBUTE
I WILL HAVE TO PAY THE EXTRA AMOUNT MYSELF AND LEARN FROM MY MISTAKE.

Charming eh! Shouting at me for one with his upper case lettering and then saying I'm not willing to contribute due to his own mistakes.
Too right I'm not!

Kodiak
18-Jun-10, 21:54
One thing you can always point out to a seller who wants to charge you extra, is to remind them that you can leave them Negative Feedback and they as a seller can not in any way leave you a Negative Feedback.

Sometimes this is all it takes and you suddenly find that they are now a very helpful seller.

Leanne
18-Jun-10, 22:02
I've got a new one - I haggle on postage! Even up here if you haggle you can get it down 9/10 ;)

philupmaboug
18-Jun-10, 23:40
You have got to love living in the Highlands, garanteed next day delivery!!! I love it! I have the most fun slaggin off the supplier when it doesn't arrive (cause it can't) and getting a discount. Not as good as years ago when you got it free if it didn't arrive but it's still fun....get used to living on the edge.

Jeid
19-Jun-10, 01:27
You have got to love living in the Highlands, garanteed next day delivery!!! I love it! I have the most fun slaggin off the supplier when it doesn't arrive (cause it can't) and getting a discount.

Really? I've had stuff delivered via courier next day from Guildford. Not impossible.

_Ju_
19-Jun-10, 07:35
You have got to love living in the Highlands, garanteed next day delivery!!! I love it! I have the most fun slaggin off the supplier when it doesn't arrive (cause it can't) and getting a discount. Not as good as years ago when you got it free if it didn't arrive but it's still fun....get used to living on the edge.

oh yes it can! I put in an order to a company based in Shropshire at 14:00 one day and to my surprise it was delivered before 12:30 the next day. Still don't know quite how they did it!

ShelleyCowie
19-Jun-10, 11:01

I ordered a complete kilt outfit for my OH at 4.30pm, next day it arrived at 2pm. And that was coming from a shop near England. Less than 24 hours...awsome :) Considering we thought it would take a week.

Stefan
19-Jun-10, 14:06
oh yes it can! I put in an order to a company based in Shropshire at 14:00 one day and to my surprise it was delivered before 12:30 the next day. Still don't know quite how they did it!

Flown to Inverness then out for delivery in the morning. IMHO.

scorrie
19-Jun-10, 15:49
One thing you can always point out to a seller who wants to charge you extra, is to remind them that you can leave them Negative Feedback and they as a seller can not in any way leave you a Negative Feedback.

Sometimes this is all it takes and you suddenly find that they are now a very helpful seller.

Please do NOT follow this advice. Ebay rules are quite clear that threat of negative feedback cannot be used to try to force sellers to do something. If a seller reports such a threat YOU will be the person in trouble with eBay

This is the direct quote from eBay itself:-

"Avoid using Feedback as a threat
Every eBay member's reputation is dependent on Feedback left by their trading partners. Threatening someone with negative Feedback usually makes them less cooperative. It's also against our Feedback policy and can result in more problems for you.
Only leave negative Feedback once the issue is over, if you're unsatisfied with the outcome, and feel the other member acted unfairly."

Cattach
19-Jun-10, 17:49
How the heck do some of the sellers get away with feigning ignorance when it comes to the p&p costs?
I just bought 10kg of Koi food which included £8.50 p&p. I thought that amount to be a rip off anyway but hey ho it was no worse than the others.
Then I get an email today saying that the prices of p&p to the Highlands was almost double that and did I want to pay the extra or get a refund!
I wouldn't have been so annoyed if his advert had at any point suggested higher postage to here but it blinkin well didn't.
I emailed back and said that just as I was committed to honouring my end of the bargain by buying the item, so was he to produce the item at the stated cost and that if he wanted to renege on the commitment then I would complain to EBay but at no point am I being duped into paying extra postage.
Normally I would have just took the easy way and paid the extra or got a refund but I'm sick of these stupid postage costs now.

I assume that they don't send these items the usual way via the post office like the rest of us because I've sent heavy items and received heavy items at less p&p costs that £16.

Blinkin rip off!

Rant over!!

I sympathise with you. I just do not buy from thosde people. But I do send them an email maing it quite clear why I am not buying and pointing out I will make I can spread the word as far as possible. When I am in the mood and I am inclind I even email people simply because they are advertising and I might not even be looking for the article. Easy to organise have a prepared statement in word file and cut and paste into an email - takes no more than a minute.
Does it do any good - maybe not but I feel better and sort of hope I have got under the skin of the advertiser.