PDA

View Full Version : Wren nest

ducati
16-Jun-10, 22:38
I thought there was a thread about odd nest sites but ho hum. I'll let you know about this little Wrens efforts.

I am restoring a 4x4 and I am at the very noisy cutting the rust out of the floors with an angle grinder and welding in new metal stage. I decided to remove the rear bumper so I could turn my attention to the back of the chassis, so I looked under the bumper to locate the attachments and a wren flew straight into my face. Had a closer look and there is a nest in the corner under the bumper. I watch the wren (only appears to be a female) flying under the car and then up to the nest with a caterpillar about every 3 or 4 minutes.

She is very determined and doesn’t appear to have been disturbed by the work so far.

Needless to say the restoration has paused until she has fledged the chicks. I haven't seen the chicks because I don't what to disturb her.

Aaldtimer
17-Jun-10, 03:27
That has to be one for Springwatch on BBC for unusual nest sites!:)

Fstevens
17-Jun-10, 12:06
We have a Wren
who as built her nest in our garage in an old Swallow nesr, what a cracking job she has made of it.
She now has two babies I have seen.

Is,nt nature wonderful??

Margaret M.
20-Jun-10, 04:18
Needless to say the restoration has paused until she has fledged the chicks. I haven't seen the chicks because I don't what to disturb her.

Good for you, sadly not everyone would be that considerate. I had a nestbox of house wrens with 6 babies I checked the nest today since I thought they had all fledged but there were two wee ones that never made it. I'm not sure what happened to them since they were a fairly good size.

ducati
20-Jun-10, 04:42
They do seem to be late, unless it is a second brood. The garden is full of fledged sparrows, chafinches, starlings and blackbirds (all shouting to be fed) :lol:

ducati
23-Jun-10, 17:23
Yesterday morning-garden full of Wrenlets. Then without a backward glance,:( gone