PDA

View Full Version : New Wick High School - Site debate (merged threads)

Pages : [1] 2

WickLad08
12-Jun-10, 00:56
We need to get together and stop the Highland Council from destroying one of our most beautiful areas of the town, Bignold Park and turning it into the site for the new High School.

WE MUST SAY NO!!!!!!

Online petition link coming soon.

Please all keep an aye out for it and sign.

Thank you

Sara Jevo
12-Jun-10, 07:30
If they use a bit of the park for the new school, couldn't you turn the site of the existing school into an area of park to offset the loss?

Gronnuck
12-Jun-10, 08:48
Would you rather they build the new school piecemeal on the site of the old school and disrupt the education of the children for the next three or four years?

It would be cheaper and less disruptive to build new so the children are only disturbed when they move from one building to the other.

Amy-Winehouse
12-Jun-10, 08:50
We need to get together and stop the Highland Council from destroying one of our most beautiful areas of the town, Bignold Park and turning it into the site for the new High School.

WE MUST SAY NO!!!!!!

Thank you

Is that coz you live across the road from it ? And which part of that park is beautiful??? Bleak is a better word to describe the Bignold park .

I agree it would be a shame for the kids if they moved their football & rugby pitches elsewhere but that would probably happen if they do build a school on that site.

Tubthumper
12-Jun-10, 09:10
WE MUST SAY NO!!!!!!
Thank you
Will that be a NO TO ANY KIND OF CHANGE IN WICK petition then? Just remind me, how long did it take to get the Wick all-weather footie pitch (the last gasp of the dying Caithness District Council) built because of all the arguing?
I reckon it will be backed up by a 'No to a brand new school, swimming pool and library' petition as well, closely followed by a 'Highland Council don't care about us boo-hoo'.
I'm watching with interest [disgust]

WICKER10
12-Jun-10, 09:36

WE MUST SAY NO!!!!!!

Thank you

Would it Not be better to wait and see what the Council plans are before starting this petition.
I am told all the plans etc are to be on display on the 28 June in the Assembly Rooms.

Neil Howie
15-Jun-10, 22:19

The closer a school to you the better methinks,

Venture
16-Jun-10, 10:14
Keep your eyes open - I'm sure there may well be those amongst us who will answer "Aye" to the question - Let's Stop Highland Council Building a School on Bignold Park.;)

_Ju_
16-Jun-10, 10:27
If they use a bit of the park for the new school, couldn't you turn the site of the existing school into an area of park to offset the loss?

The cost involved in returning built grounds into parkland is too much. The old highschool will never become a park.
They have the space out the back to build part of the new school and the possibility to use that space while they recover the historical building.
Barring that, if you are going to build from scratch, build it outside of the town, so that walking into town for the chippy just isn't worthwhile (and if you do, you get a bit of excercise!). Also less problems with school traffic. The chippies might complain, though.

lynne duncan
16-Jun-10, 10:29
i'm voting for the school to be in the bignold if the council could provide another area to be used for recreational purposes ie knock down the redundant buildings at the high school and use the space for parking and changing room facilites,
leave the nold where it is, however the state of the nold is deteriorating and is there money to replace the equipment in the councils budget

or why don't they buy 2 fields out beside tescos and build there and that would leave the bignold alone

Murdina Bug
16-Jun-10, 10:41
I'm opposed to building on the Bignold Park as I think it is just not big enough for all that is proposed. Go to google maps and take a look at the available space. If you put in all the buildings, plus a community area of swimming pool and possibly library - plus outdoor pitches then it's going to be pretty cramped. Hemmed in on all sides as well.

On principle I object to any 'consultation' which gives you a choice of build on existing site or build on Bignold Park. Hardly thinking outside the box is it? What about a purchase of that huge field on the right as you go up Newton Hill (again refer google maps!). Would a new school/community facility requirement not satisfy the need for compulsory purchase of a field?

achingale
16-Jun-10, 11:01
The best way forward would be to send letters to parents and ask them about a new site. Maybe a few suggestions from them would give food for thought. It would be a shame to lose the park.

Venture
16-Jun-10, 11:12
HRC have already looked at the possibility of other sites but according to them there are none. Apparently the only two sites available, both owned by HRC, are the Bignold and the playing fields at the back of the school. There is no way they will put out money to buy a new site.

upolian
16-Jun-10, 11:18
Why would anybody be against this? Infact :lol: Im not arguing.

WICKER10
16-Jun-10, 11:21
What about a purchase of that huge field on the right as you go up Newton Hill (again refer google maps!). Would a new school/community facility requirement not satisfy the need for compulsory purchase of a field?[/quote]
There are Parks on both sides of Newton Road that could be Looked at.
The Park Behind the North school is Also Big enough.
The Council should be looking at the Bigger Picture and think about the Primary schools also as i believe some of them are going to require Major Work on the Buildings within the next few years.
Why Not look at the ground where the primary school joins onto the High school Park .

Amy-Winehouse
16-Jun-10, 14:57
Build it on the Wick side, behind the North School . The kids have had to walk over to the dark side for over 100 years- time for a change :D

Scunner
16-Jun-10, 15:16
The best way forward would be to send letters to parents and ask them about a new site. Maybe a few suggestions from them would give food for thought. It would be a shame to lose the park.

By the time that the school is built, the bairns will propably have left.

scorrie
16-Jun-10, 16:13
i'm voting for the school to be in the bignold if the council could provide another area to be used for recreational purposes ie knock down the redundant buildings at the high school and use the space for parking and changing room facilites,

No danger whatever of that happening.

If the new school DOES get built at the Bignold Park, the old school/site will be sold to the highest bidder and the Highland Council will (I would imagine) trouser the cash. I wonder if anyone knows whether HRC will guarantee to plough any money raised from the sale of the old school/site solely into the town of Wick, should that scenario transpire?

scorrie
16-Jun-10, 16:17
And which part of that park is beautiful??? Bleak is a better word to describe the Bignold park .

Try living in an inner city with no green in sight and you realise that any stretch of grass is an oasis. All it takes is a football, a picnic blanket and/or an imagination to provide respite from the concrete jungle. We have very little of such in this town so why let it be pissed away?

cuddlepop
16-Jun-10, 16:19
If it means your losing the only greenfield site in Wick to build the school then I'm sure they have to replace it,like for like.:confused

Alice in Blunderland
16-Jun-10, 17:36
http://www.highland.gov.uk/yourcouncil/news/newsreleases/2010/June/2010-06-15-01.htm

It would be a good idea for folks to go along to the drop in session advertised in the above link and view what is proposed and to talk to the people involved directly.

Ask as many questions that you can think, get the answers to those questions from the people who can answer you and if not they can look into it and get back to you, hopefuly.

This would be the best place to try to get as much information as possible as this is the group of people involved with the proposed sites. :D

Oh and I forgot to say you can also let them know what you think about it and what you would like to see. ;)

Tubthumper
16-Jun-10, 17:49
I sense that the Highland Council are painted as the enemies of right-thinking Wickers here...

John Little
16-Jun-10, 17:52
I think you may find that it is cancelled anyway.

I heard on the news that the government is putting all school building on ice. It would seem logical that the Scottish assembly would do likewise.

Amy-Winehouse
16-Jun-10, 20:23
Try living in an inner city with no green in sight and you realise that any stretch of grass is an oasis. All it takes is a football, a picnic blanket and/or an imagination to provide respite from the concrete jungle. We have very little of such in this town so why let it be pissed away?

We dont live in an inner city tho Scorrie, this is Wick. I dont want the new school built on the Bignold thats for sure but it most definitley isnt a beautiful park, the riverside is bonnier with the tide in.

I like the idea of the new school being constructed on the brighter side of the town, behind the ols bignold hospital is another prime site for it but Id leave the bignold park as it is for all, golfers, fly casters, Kite flying , Dogs running, rugby & of course football- eastend & county league

mrs_inkstack
16-Jun-10, 21:32
keep yer knickers on, it's no going to happen ..... wasn't the Bignold Park gifted to the town by Sir Bignold many moons ago ????

Fly
16-Jun-10, 22:49
keep yer knickers on, it's no going to happen ..... wasn't the Bignold Park gifted to the town by Sir Bignold many moons ago ????
So was Henderson House but that did'nt stop the health board pulling it down to build Caithness general.[disgust]

Tubthumper
16-Jun-10, 23:04
I think you may find that it is cancelled anyway. I heard on the news that the government is putting all school building on ice. It would seem logical that the Scottish assembly would do likewise.
I heard that too. It seems like a new school for Wick is too much hassle, we might as well let the government & council spend just a few million doing up the one that's there and keeping the library, museum and pool we have. All traditional parts of the town after all. That way we can keep our empty spaces as well, and a few million can be spent where they really want a new school.

Venture
16-Jun-10, 23:15
So was Henderson House but that did'nt stop the health board pulling it down to build Caithness general.[disgust]

In July 1903, Sir Arthur Bignold purchased Northcote House and grounds, Wick, which he gifted to the people of Wick to be used as a cottage hospital, in memory of his late wife. He also was responsible for bringing the famous crocodile, who I'm sure we've all sat on at some point in our life, to the library. Not forgetting of course the Bignold Hospital, Bignold Park and Pilot House. I'm sure there is also a Bignold Park in Kirkwall that he also donated.

Nacho
16-Jun-10, 23:29
He also was responsible for bringing the famous crocodile, who I'm sure we've all sat on at some point in our life, to the library.

the blonde one with the glasses ?

i've never sat on her, not sure if she'd allow me to, maybe she lets the bairns do it during their story hour.

scorrie
16-Jun-10, 23:32
We dont live in an inner city tho Scorrie, this is Wick. I dont want the new school built on the Bignold thats for sure but it most definitley isnt a beautiful park, the riverside is bonnier with the tide in.

What I am saying is that you often don't miss something until it is taken away. The park doesn't have to be beautiful to play football, or any other game, on it. Perhaps more effort could be put into making the Bignold more attractive but will be academic if it is lost to school buildings.

scorrie
16-Jun-10, 23:42
http://www.highland.gov.uk/yourcouncil/news/newsreleases/2010/June/2010-06-15-01.htm

It would be a good idea for folks to go along to the drop in session advertised in the above link and view what is proposed and to talk to the people involved directly.

Ask as many questions that you can think, get the answers to those questions from the people who can answer you and if not they can look into it and get back to you, hopefuly.

This would be the best place to try to get as much information as possible as this is the group of people involved with the proposed sites. :D

Oh and I forgot to say you can also let them know what you think about it and what you would like to see. ;)

Talking of the drop in session, I saw it mentioned on the Groat Website today. I also noticed something that seems greatly at odds with all the talk of compromise/losing this/losing that, which was put forward by some who prefer the Bignold Park as a location.

I quote the following from the Groat website:-

"The options up for consideration are:

* Construction of a new school on the current playing field to the rear of the premises with community facilities including a 25 metre, six-lane swimming pool, a community library and a performance venue.

* Building a new school at Bignold Park with community facilities including a 25 metre, six-lane swimming pool a community library and a performance venue."

Now, would anyone care to point out to me the big differences and compromises as outlined in the above?

telfordstar
16-Jun-10, 23:50
Not meaning to sound rude but to be honest the desision to where its going has most probably been made and there just going through formalities.

Be very thankful that you getting a new school!

Alice in Blunderland
17-Jun-10, 00:18
Talking of the drop in session, I saw it mentioned on the Groat Website today. I also noticed something that seems greatly at odds with all the talk of compromise/losing this/losing that, which was put forward by some who prefer the Bignold Park as a location.

I quote the following from the Groat website:-

"The options up for consideration are:

* Construction of a new school on the current playing field to the rear of the premises with community facilities including a 25 metre, six-lane swimming pool, a community library and a performance venue.

* Building a new school at Bignold Park with community facilities including a 25 metre, six-lane swimming pool a community library and a performance venue."

Now, would anyone care to point out to me the big differences and compromises as outlined in the above?

Exactly why I was saying go along to the drop in session and ask the questions which are coming to you to the people who should have all the information and hopefully answers to hand. :)

Alice in Blunderland
17-Jun-10, 00:23
Not meaning to sound rude but to be honest the desision to where its going has most probably been made and there just going through formalities.

Be very thankful that you getting a new school!

According to what was being said at this weeks meeting the decision has not been made and is not due to be decided on until August. :)

cuddlepop
17-Jun-10, 09:23
According to what was being said at this weeks meeting the decision has not been made and is not due to be decided on until August. :)

Oh Alice I thought you knew better.;)

Alice in Blunderland
17-Jun-10, 09:43
Oh Alice I thought you knew better.;)

:lol: Time will tell ............ ;)

katarina
17-Jun-10, 21:33
If it means your losing the only greenfield site in Wick to build the school then I'm sure they have to replace it,like for like.:confused

that will never happen! Wick will grow, and we NEED green areas. Let's fight to keep them.

katarina
17-Jun-10, 21:34
In July 1903, Sir Arthur Bignold purchased Northcote House and grounds, Wick, which he gifted to the people of Wick to be used as a cottage hospital, in memory of his late wife. He also was responsible for bringing the famous crocodile, who I'm sure we've all sat on at some point in our life, to the library. Not forgetting of course the Bignold Hospital, Bignold Park and Pilot House. I'm sure there is also a Bignold Park in Kirkwall that he also donated.

He must be birlin' in his grave!

katarina
17-Jun-10, 21:37
What about the land at thistle park? I thought that belonged to the council?

fender
18-Jun-10, 07:08

Yeah sure that would make an ideal spot for a new school!!!

plutonio
18-Jun-10, 07:53
typical Wickers, ready to down something before they even know the facts. You will all harp on about it and make a fuss, the money is only available until 2016 and when you have all stopped whinging and finally decided on something the money will no longer be there.

Venture
18-Jun-10, 08:13

Katarina if you mean the ground between the old coastguard houses and Thistle Park I think that site has been designated for houses. In fact I'm sure I heard that work is to start there shortly.

Tubthumper
18-Jun-10, 12:51
... and when you have all stopped whinging and finally decided on something...
:eek: :lol: :roll:

scorrie
18-Jun-10, 15:03

More negative sarcasm with nothing worthwhile brought to the table.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i237/scorrie57/asleep-at-desk.jpg

evelyn
18-Jun-10, 20:18
I wonder if anyone has considered the effect that building the school on the Bignold will have on the existing drainage system.
This system was upgraded in the late 60`s the entire length of South Road and Francis Street. The length of Northcote St was also excavated. It is most likely now running at the top end of its capabilities what with the construction of Homebase etc.
The original field where Lidls car park is now, acted as a sort of attenuation sump that allowed the standing and drains water to dissipate over a period of time that alleviated any sudden strain on the drainage system incurred by heavy rainfall/meler.
I can not say for sure how the effect of a school population of several hundreds feeding into this already taxed system five days a week will pan out, but it can`t be good.
It is also worth noting that the bottom half of the park and the bit across from the Childrens Home is a quagmire after even a few days rain. This would also be an additional hurdle to a new build there.
This post is not meant as an anti Bignold one, just a few thoughts I had on the subject. It may even be that this has been considered but I haven`t seen it written or discussed anywhere.
The main thing is a new school is built that satisfies all criteria and does not impact adversly on any surrounding area.

scorrie
18-Jun-10, 20:29
I see from today's Groat that Prof Iain Baikie has expressed concern that the matter may already be a "Done Deal", with a Highland Council meeting due four days before the public get a chance to ask questions in the Assembly Rooms. He also mentioned that the postcards they have been using to gauge opinion have shown a 93% figure AGAINST the Bignold Park as the site for a new School. Still, when did Democracy ever matter?

katarina
18-Jun-10, 21:57
Katarina if you mean the ground between the old coastguard houses and Thistle Park I think that site has been designated for houses. In fact I'm sure I heard that work is to start there shortly.

Yes that's where I mean. I was under the impression that it belonged to the council and was for council houses way back when. Then the council stopped building houses. If private houses are going to be built there, has the council sold the land? If so, why? when they knew a new school was in the offing? And why does the powers that be constantly want the bignold for something other than a park? Can't they see a bit of green without wanting to build on it? And someone else mentioned drainage. There certainly does seem to be a problem in that area. the last two years the south road, AND the graveyard have been flooded. When the nold was built there was a drainage problem that had to be rectified. Surely adding adequate drainage would greatly increase costs? Or is this something that will raise it's head during the build? Unfortunately to my great regret I will be away during the public meeting.

Nacho
18-Jun-10, 23:45

sarcasm aside, fender's got a point, building a school next to the cliffs isn't ideal (i wouldn't want to be the one who has to get the ball when i blooter it out the pitch)

but can i draw attention to the new(ish) high school at Kinlochbervie ...

http://northwesttrainingcentre.weebly.com/uploads/1/5/7/4/1574604/5311103.jpg

location will always be an issue, but it's what inside that really matters.

Kinlochbervie High School is an amazing place, and (eventually) Wick's will be as well.

fender
19-Jun-10, 07:17
I see from today's Groat that Prof Iain Baikie has expressed concern that the matter may already be a "Done Deal", with a Highland Council meeting due four days before the public get a chance to ask questions in the Assembly Rooms. He also mentioned that the postcards they have been using to gauge opinion have shown a 93% figure AGAINST the Bignold Park as the site for a new School. Still, when did Democracy ever matter?

93% of who, not those that live around the park by any chance? I live in Wick ,have grandchildren who will go to the new school. I've not seen any postcards. An opinion poll is only as good as the folk you ask.

florence
19-Jun-10, 09:04
I wonder if anyone has considered the effect that building the school on the Bignold will have on the existing drainage system.
This system was upgraded in the late 60`s the entire length of South Road and Francis Street. The length of Northcote St was also excavated. It is most likely now running at the top end of its capabilities what with the construction of Homebase etc.
The original field where Lidls car park is now, acted as a sort of attenuation sump that allowed the standing and drains water to dissipate over a period of time that alleviated any sudden strain on the drainage system incurred by heavy rainfall/meler.
I can not say for sure how the effect of a school population of several hundreds feeding into this already taxed system five days a week will pan out, but it can`t be good.
It is also worth noting that the bottom half of the park and the bit across from the Childrens Home is a quagmire after even a few days rain. This would also be an additional hurdle to a new build there.
This post is not meant as an anti Bignold one, just a few thoughts I had on the subject. It may even be that this has been considered but I haven`t seen it written or discussed anywhere.
The main thing is a new school is built that satisfies all criteria and does not impact adversly on any surrounding area.

A very interesting point, wasn't there flooding on the south road a few years back ? Has the drainage scheme been upgraded since ? Is there capacity for all these developments?

fender
19-Jun-10, 09:27

Meeting on 24th June - see here -http://www.highland.gov.uk/yourcouncil/committees/thehighlandcouncil/2010-06-24-hc-ag.htm

Venture
19-Jun-10, 10:18
http://www.highland.gov.uk/yourcouncil/committees/thehighlandcouncil/2010-06-24-hc-ag.htm

(b) General Fund Capital Programme Review

There is circulated Report No. HC-12-10 (http://www.highland.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/61EFE04E-7143-40EE-A91F-75324F53038F/0/Item13bHC1210.pdf) dated 16 June 2010 by the Depute Chief Executive and Director of Finance which sets out the conclusion of the Capital Programme review process covering the 5 years 2010/11 to 2014/15 and includes the Administration’s prioritised list of capital projects for that period.

Members are invited to:-
(a) agree the prioritised list of projects (annex 1) and existing projects (annex
4) as the basis for the Council’s Capital Programme 2010/11-2014/15;
(b) agree the allocation of £0.348m from the 2010/11 Capital Discretionary
Fund for the Pulteneytown People’s Project;
(c) agree a final decision on affordability is taken once funding support for
capital is clarified later this year;
(d) note that with anticipated reductions in capital funding, it is expected a
final decision on affordability will require the prioritised projects to be
reviewed and not all projects will be affordable or deliverable within the 5
years of the Programme; and
(e) note that consideration of the next 5 years of the Capital Programme,
covering 2015/16 onwards, will take place in February/March 2011.

I think there might be the chance that the new Wick High School project might get a wee mention somewhere in the discussion at this point in the agenda. If you're in the know about these things Fender please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.;)

glaikit
19-Jun-10, 11:13
It's important that the people of the town have the freedom and ability to express their opinion about where the new school should be built and they shouldn't be railroaded into a decision by threats or intimidation by the HC or anyone else.
This is a big decision, which will have an effect on our town for years to come. We should be given the time and space to consider the options and put our points of view forward. That doesn't mean sitting for years whinging as someone said. It's taking the time to do this properly. Why should this be sprung on folk and a decision demanded immediately? If the monies have been allocated, they've been allocated. It's like one of those awful market stalls where they tell you you can buy something for a tenner but only in the next five minutes and then it turns out to be broken when you get it home!
The councillors are our 'elected' representatives. That means they are supposed to take our views into account: they represent us! We elected them. That's the whole point of a democracy. I think the townspeople of Wick are intelligent enough to consider everything and make a good decision. I think all the rubbish decisions that have been made in the past, such as the demolition of the Henderson Memorial, were not made by the people of Wick.

Tubthumper
19-Jun-10, 12:42
Hilarious. And we'll be looking forward to the same level of community concern when the new school is built.
For example, kids who are well-behaved and hard-working. No bullying. A decent position in the leaugue tables. Parents interested in their child's schooling. Parent council meetings full to overflowing. Local companies fighting to support work experience programmes.
Aye, Right!

glaikit
19-Jun-10, 14:00
Hilarious. And we'll be looking forward to the same level of community concern when the new school is built.
For example, kids who are well-behaved and hard-working. No bullying. A decent position in the leaugue tables. Parents interested in their child's schooling. Parent council meetings full to overflowing. Local companies fighting to support work experience programmes.
Aye, Right!

So, your position is that the parents of Wick High School pupils don't care about their education, their behaviour or their futures? All of them? That's not my experience.
Sometimes folk don't attend meetings because they feel as if their opinion doesn't matter, or that they're not 'clever' enough to take part. It takes effort on the part of a community to come together to make a decision that's right for the town and I agree, it'll be hard work to make it happen. But hey, I'm a glass half full type of person. I believe in seeing the best in my community and our young people. Although not directly involved in this subject, I'll make sure I attend the public meeting.
I'd encourage everyone else to do the same and prove that we do care and Tubthumper can have his faith in humanity restored :)

scorrie
19-Jun-10, 15:04
93% of who, not those that live around the park by any chance? I live in Wick ,have grandchildren who will go to the new school. I've not seen any postcards. An opinion poll is only as good as the folk you ask.

Wick High School Pupils and teachers were both asked and were largely, almost unanimously in the case of the teachers, in favour of the new school being built behind the existing school. God forbid that the people who will actually be using the new facility should have a say in the matter!!

Alice in Blunderland
19-Jun-10, 15:08
It's important that the people of the town have the freedom and ability to express their opinion about where the new school should be built and they shouldn't be railroaded into a decision by threats or intimidation by the HC or anyone else.
This is a big decision, which will have an effect on our town for years to come. We should be given the time and space to consider the options and put our points of view forward. That doesn't mean sitting for years whinging as someone said. It's taking the time to do this properly. Why should this be sprung on folk and a decision demanded immediately? If the monies have been allocated, they've been allocated. It's like one of those awful market stalls where they tell you you can buy something for a tenner but only in the next five minutes and then it turns out to be broken when you get it home!
The councillors are our 'elected' representatives. That means they are supposed to take our views into account: they represent us! We elected them. That's the whole point of a democracy. I think the townspeople of Wick are intelligent enough to consider everything and make a good decision. I think all the rubbish decisions that have been made in the past, such as the demolition of the Henderson Memorial, were not made by the people of Wick.

In all fairness to the councillors who were present at the stakeholders meeting offered to have the decision which is due to be made at Augusts full council meeting delayed Not by long, as time is money and inflation will start to eat into whatever money is set aside for the project.The longer they take to decide to start the build no matter where its going to be the less distance that same money will stretch also many things can happen change of political climate government and the money which is not yet in the bank may never appear. :)

scorrie
19-Jun-10, 15:11
typical Wickers, ready to down something before they even know the facts.

I think you will find that the proposal to site the new school at the Bignold Park is a FACT. If that happens the sale of the old school and grounds by HRC will also be a FACT.

Typical posters, don't know their facts from their elbows ;)

scorrie
19-Jun-10, 15:29
In all fairness to the councillors who were present at the stakeholders meeting offered to have the decision which is due to be made at Augusts full council meeting delayed Not by long, as time is money and inflation will start to eat into whatever money is set aside for the project.The longer they take to decide to start the build no matter where its going to be the less distance that same money will stretch also many things can happen change of political climate government and the money which is not yet in the bank may never appear. :)

Plans to build on the Bignold Park were always going to be met with objection. If time and resultant value for money ARE so important, then why the hell go down a road that is going to eat away at those parameters? Would it not be best to follow the path of least resistance?

The way I see it, a new School at the rear of the existing site is either doable or it isn't. Costs have been drawn up for both options and the amounts are almost identical. From what I see listed as the options for consideration at the drop in session, specifications look the same. That begs the question as to what we are actually debating about here? Some have put forward that we are accepting a lesser school if we build at the current site, others have said it is to do with roads/access. Call me a sceptic but I have this old-fashioned notion that money is at the root of it. Highland Council have to foot the bill for the difference between money granted and the total cost and the difference between the two sites in contention is that the old school and land CAN be sold.

fender
19-Jun-10, 17:00
Wick High School Pupils and teachers were both asked and were largely, almost unanimously in the case of the teachers, in favour of the new school being built behind the existing school. God forbid that the people who will actually be using the new facility should have a say in the matter!!

My aren't you well versed. Where did YOU get these facts from?

glaikit
19-Jun-10, 18:05
I still think the town needs a bit of time to make a decision. I'm not talking about years. A couple of months isn't going to make a huge amount of difference. I agree with Scorrie: the pupils and teachers have voiced their opinion and that should be good enough. If the cooncil want a rapid decision, I'd happily adhere to the opinion of the people using the facility, as Scorrie said.

You should stand for election Scorrie. Maybe you already have?:Razz

WICKER10
19-Jun-10, 18:15
I still think the town needs a bit of time to make a decision. I'm not talking about years. A couple of months isn't going to make a huge amount of difference. I agree with Scorrie: the pupils and teachers have voiced their opinion and that should be good enough. If the cooncil want a rapid decision, I'd happily adhere to the opinion of the people using the facility, as Scorrie said.

You should stand for election Scorrie. Maybe you already have?:Razz

I agree and it is Time we had New Faces on The Council the council would have spare Cash if it was Not for Councillor Smith and his 18 million wasted on the Heating Boiler

Tubthumper
19-Jun-10, 18:17
So, your position is that the parents of Wick High School pupils don't care about their education, their behaviour or their futures? There are great pupils in any school. There are also those who don't care and wish to disrupt the school experience of others. There are parents who want the best for their kids, and the opposite is also true. There are schools that help the children whose development is entrusted to them, there are others that don't seem to manage to. Ask yourself this - has WHS stood up as a beacon of achievement for the area? And as there are few (if any) alternatives for children in the area, is that fair? Why is that?
My position is that the people of Wick, bawling and shouting about what they will or won't have, what is or isn't right, who should or shouldn't have the decision on where the school goes doesn't add up to a ball of spit unless the town (yes, ALL of the town) get behind the edifice and make sure the kids have a decent start in life.

Sometimes folk don't attend meetings because they feel as if their opinion doesn't matter, or that they're not 'clever' enough to take part. It takes effort on the part of a community to come together to make a decision that's right for the town and I agree, it'll be hard work to make it happen. But hey, I'm a glass half full type of person. I believe in seeing the best in my community and our young people. Although not directly involved in this subject, I'll make sure I attend the public meeting. You're not wrong, but sometimes people don't go to meetings because its easier to wait for things to go wrong, then complain like blazes anonymously or snipe from the sidelines. There are some people like that in Caithness, believe it or not!

I'd encourage everyone else to do the same and prove that we do care and Tubthumper can have his faith in humanity restored :) I hope you will. I might go myself. And I hope we have to fight to find a seat. And thank you for your concern.:)

scorrie
19-Jun-10, 18:17
My aren't you well versed. Where did YOU get these facts from?

Right here pal:-

http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/news/fullstory.php/aid/7715/Bignold_Park_school_option__could_cause_turmoil_.h tml

The relevant section is quoted here:-

"A recent poll at the school saw 72 per cent of the pupils voting for a new school on the existing site, with 19 per cent opting for the Bignold Park option, while 82 staff members were in favour of the present location and four opted for the Bignold."

Some of us have been paying attention to the FACTS since the start. Whenever you see me quoting something on this website, you can be sure I have used a reliable source and checked the FACTS first.

Metalattakk
19-Jun-10, 18:19
Hmmm, ye cannae beat a good fact hunt.

glaikit
19-Jun-10, 18:29
I agree with a lot of what you say Tub, except that I think Wick High School do well, given that they have pupils from hugely diverse social backgrounds and academic ability.
In addition, the lack of jobs and training means that there are young people who previously would have left school, who are now staying on through financial necessity.
Hopefully once a new rector is in post things will improve.
I hope there's nae seats at the meeting too;)

fender
19-Jun-10, 18:37
Right here pal:-

http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/news/fullstory.php/aid/7715/Bignold_Park_school_option__could_cause_turmoil_.h tml

The relevant section is quoted here:-

"A recent poll at the school saw 72 per cent of the pupils voting for a new school on the existing site, with 19 per cent opting for the Bignold Park option, while 82 staff members were in favour of the present location and four opted for the Bignold."

Some of us have been paying attention to the FACTS since the start. Whenever you see me quoting something on this website, you can be sure I have used a reliable source and checked the FACTS first.

13th Januaray 2010 - A wee bit out of date I would suggest. The pc camapign is on the go now and as I've alreday said I have not been asked.

scorrie
19-Jun-10, 18:56
13th Januaray 2010 - A wee bit out of date I would suggest. The pc camapign is on the go now and as I've alreday said I have not been asked.

So, are you trying to suggest that 82 teachers have changed their minds in the past six months? We had a General Election recently, is that also out of date for you? Maybe we need to check the public opinion every week, just to make sure eh?

A ridiculous attempt to pour scorn on something, after I have shown you up to be ignorant of what has been in the local papers for anyone with an interest, and a half ways decent memory, to digest.

fender
19-Jun-10, 19:06
Why are you so against building a new school in the Bignold? I suspect that you may have an alternative interest in this site. Have the people of West Banks/Hood Street/Newton Road been asked their opinion on where the school should go. I suspect not.

piratelassie
19-Jun-10, 19:07
May i suggest the school construction goes ahead as soon as possible otherwise all the discussions. objections etc, will only cause problems.
One of the most important buildings in any town are its schools.

wickscorrie
19-Jun-10, 19:27
I have heard that if a new school was to be built on the Bignold Park there would be Four new drained football pitches constructed at the High School.The pitches would have lighting installed as well and the all weather facility would also be there.It has also been mentioned that changeing facilities would also be provided ?.

Tubthumper
19-Jun-10, 19:53
I have heard that if a new school was to be built on the Bignold Park there would be Four new drained football pitches constructed at the High School.The pitches would have lighting installed as well and the all weather facility would also be there.It has also been mentioned that changeing facilities would also be provided ?.
That sounds a bit too radical! Have the people been consulted? :eek:

WICKER10
19-Jun-10, 20:00
Can you give an Offical ref to the statement you made or is it Just Wick Rumour.
Wick could of had all this a few years ago but it was stopped by a few i refer to the Plans Drawn up by Jackie Gunn then Chairman of Wick Acd Football Club

Tubthumper
19-Jun-10, 20:03
Wick could of had all this a few years ago but it was stopped by a few i refer to the Plans Drawn up by Jackie Gunn then Chairman of Wick Acd Football Club
Is Jackie Gunn going to be involved?? Are they going to use the funds that are sitting in the WADF for this? You know, the ones that no-one can get access to? The ones that were raised for the good of Wick and which have been sitting there doing absolutely nothing for Wick for so long??
Please let us know more. If Jackie is the project manager your new school will surely have a brilliant future ahead.

WICKER10
19-Jun-10, 20:07
Is Jackie Gunn going to be involved?? Are they going to use the funds that are sitting in the WADF for this? You know, the ones that no-one can get access to? The ones that were raised for the good of Wick and which have been sitting there doing absolutely nothing for Wick for so long??
Please let us know more. If Jackie is the project manager your new school will surely have a brilliant future ahead.

You Raise a Good question There about the money raised for Jackie Gunns Project.
Just where and to What good is this Money Going to be put?
The Sports Ground would be a Very Good use for it

Moira
19-Jun-10, 20:28
I've been digging around.

http://www.highland.gov.uk/yourcouncil/news/newsreleases/2009/January/2009-01-26-05.htm

Moira
19-Jun-10, 21:24
You Raise a Good question There about the money raised for Jackie Gunns Project.
Just where and to What good is this Money Going to be put?
The Sports Ground would be a Very Good use for it

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think Jackie Gunn was around in Sir Arthur Bignold's time. This thread is about the new Wick High School isn't it?

IMO, building the new Wick High School on Bignold Park is not an option.

Amy-Winehouse
19-Jun-10, 21:40
Why are you so against building a new school in the Bignold? I suspect that you may have an alternative interest in this site. Have the people of West Banks/Hood Street/Newton Road been asked their opinion on where the school should go. I suspect not.

I suspect they have, I had people at the door last weekend asking where I would like the school built- not the Bignold park , but why not behind the old Bignold hospital ? Its quite easy for access as its onto the main road out of town or into the toon center

glaikit
19-Jun-10, 22:00
That sounds a bit too radical! Have the people been consulted? :eek:

I'm actually quite shocked that a few folk on this thread don't think that the people who live in Wick and send their kids to the High School, the pupils and teachers should not be consulted. What an arrogant, patronising attitude to think that the decision should just be made without even asking anyone. What a low opinion you have of this community.

Tubthumper
19-Jun-10, 22:16
I'm actually quite shocked that a few folk on this thread don't think that the people who live in Wick and send their kids to the High School, the pupils and teachers should not be consulted. What an arrogant, patronising attitude to think that the decision should just be made without even asking anyone. What a low opinion you have of this community.
I was talking about the rumour of a new footie complex. Apologies if I mixed you up.
I think the last time I got involved in an argument about WHS was a couple of years ago, when a parents group were whining about having to buy school uniforms. Not much on improving discipline or educational attainment, just munting about having to kit their offspring out in uniforms. There was a lot of hate.
Why is everyone up in arms over the location, but no-one saying a word about getting WHS's ass off the floor?

glaikit
19-Jun-10, 22:24
I honestly think that most people believe that they don't, or won't, have a say. Probably part of this so-called "nanny state", thats most definitely encroached upon society's belief in its ability to make decisions for itself. I was thinking about this the other day and when I initially heard the media going on about it, I thought it was a load of rubbish. Now I'm not so sure.
Government, including local government, is so centralised that I think we're all guilty of sitting back and assuming that what we think doesn't matter. But it does!!! As for the parents of pupils, it's the ones that don't normally turn up to meetings that need to be there; not the usual clique of cronies and whingers.
Sorry I got on my high horse ;)

ducati
19-Jun-10, 22:27
Is the Academy idea going to be available in Scotland? Central Funding for communities that wish to run there own schools and take them out of local council control.

Just a thought.:)

scorrie
19-Jun-10, 23:37

I have ZERO interest in the site. What the hell does the mention of West Banks etc have to do with anything? They have had the current school since when? What difference will it make to them if it moves slightly further away?

I am against the Bignold Park as a site, because I don't think it needs to be built there. Surely it is common sense to build where there is no dispute and where a swift conclusion can be reached to minimise disruption. More to the point, YOU explain why it HAS to be built at the Bignold Park? I am still waiting for a decent response as to why the Bignold is the only option. What I have heard put forward so far has had the whiff of the finest compost.

sweetpea
19-Jun-10, 23:52
I honestly think that most people believe that they don't, or won't, have a say. Probably part of this so-called "nanny state", thats most definitely encroached upon society's belief in its ability to make decisions for itself. I was thinking about this the other day and when I initially heard the media going on about it, I thought it was a load of rubbish. Now I'm not so sure.
Government, including local government, is so centralised that I think we're all guilty of sitting back and assuming that what we think doesn't matter. But it does!!! As for the parents of pupils, it's the ones that don't normally turn up to meetings that need to be there; not the usual clique of cronies and whingers.
Sorry I got on my high horse ;)

I don't think your on your high horse as I think you have some valid points about the meetings and parents and that Wick High does it's best in the environment it has had for the pupils.
I've been trying to keep up with all the stuff about the new school but I did wonder if they build it on Bignold Park what happens to the old buildings.
Also if they are just scraping enough to build a new school on a new location will they have money to knock the old buildings down and make tidy the site. That's the only question I want to know about so I'm going to go to the thing in Assembly rooms, providing I can get time off work.

Venture
20-Jun-10, 12:08

This meeting was the Parent Council, not the Stakeholders Group. The "offer" to delay the final decision to September came from Bill Fernie in answer to the question: "Why has so little time been left between the public consultation and the final decision on the site"? I'd say we have had enough delays already, especially those created by HRC.

Promises have been made to "consult with the public" as far back as December, in the press, at meetings and in correspondence by HRC and local councillors, by Councillor MacNab in particular. Nothing has ever been arranged. The only people who were invited by HRC to be involved in the process, the Stakeholders Group, had requests for meetings ignored and had no contact from HRC between January and the end of May. The promised feasability study never materialised. Requests by the Parent Council and the Stakeholders to look at the plans that were shown to the Community Council and the school staff, have been denied. The only group who made the effort to consult the public is the Parent Council, with the postcard survey and they have been slated in the press for doing so by our local councillors.

Officials and councillors have been shouting from the rooftops about the need for everyone to work together to make this new school a reality. Pity they didn't practice what they preach. [disgust]

Speaking of delays, I wonder why the councillors went out of their way to remind those present, that the last time there was a public protest over a proposed project in the Bignold Park, it took TEN years to reach a conclusion. I'll leave it up to you to decide what their hidden messsage was there.;)

http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/news/fullstory.php/aid/4184/Wick_High_School_-_the_fight_goes_on.html

Alice in Blunderland
20-Jun-10, 12:42
This meeting was Parent Council, not the Stakeholders Group. The "offer" to delay the final decision to September came from Bill Fernie in answer to the question: "Why has so little time been left between the public consultation and the final decision on the site"? I'd say we have had enough delays already, especially those created by HRC.

Promises have been made to "consult with the public" as far back as December, in the press, at meetings and in correspondence by HRC and local councillors, by Councillor MacNab in particular. Nothing has ever been arranged. The only people who were invited by HRC to be involved in the process, the Stakeholders Group, had requests for meetings ignored and had no contact from HRC between January and the end of May. The promised feasability study never materialised. Requests by the Parent Council and the Stakeholders to look at the plans that were shown to the Community Council and the school staff, have been denied. The only group who made the effort to consult the public is the Parent Council, with the postcard survey and they have been slated in the press for doing so by our local councillors.

Officials and councillors have been shouting from the rooftops about the need for everyone to work together to make this new school a reality. Pity they didn't practice what they preach. [disgust]

Speaking of delays, I wonder why the councillors went out of their way to remind those present, that the last time there was a public protest over a proposed project in the Bignold Park, it took TEN years to reach a conclusion. I'll leave it up to you to decide what their hidden messsage was there.;)

My apologies it was the Parent council meeting and not the stakeholders meeting :)

florence
20-Jun-10, 21:12

There is little for point in weighing Net Present Values in HRC project documents here.... The current economic climate will entertain a 6 month delay to this project quite easily, getting a credible solution should come first.

florence
20-Jun-10, 21:19

Carrots that never materialise once HRC gets its way....

florence
20-Jun-10, 21:26
Prof Baikie was asked to head this issue up in the media and as such should be the proime source of guidance. An online poll could be conducted more formally on the JOG website to gauge public opinion in an unbiassed environment. All the grannies are getting online these days so it would be a good opportunity to get the generations involved.

I think Prof Baikie should have his way endof.

Tubthumper
20-Jun-10, 21:58
Agree with you Florence, let the prof lead the way.
And lets make sure we don't have any more ill-informed threads with 'Lets stop the Highland Council...' in the title - it makes us collectively look like dimwits fighting against our own council trying to build us a new school.

Venture
21-Jun-10, 08:25
I might go myself. And I hope we have to fight to find a seat. And thank you for your concern.:)

So do you want me to keep a seat for you then Tubs?;)

Tubthumper
21-Jun-10, 12:29
So do you want me to keep a seat for you then Tubs?;)
Kids all grown up and gone away, don't live in Wick, wasn't educated in Wick, hubbie isn't even from here... would you want to sit near me??:lol:
If I could add anything to the plan I wouldn't mind getting involved, but I expect I'd be viewed with suspicion followed by derision.
I am just a neep after all!

scorrie
21-Jun-10, 23:30
Agree with you Florence, let the prof lead the way.
And lets make sure we don't have any more ill-informed threads with 'Lets stop the Highland Council...' in the title - it makes us collectively look like dimwits fighting against our own council trying to build us a new school.

I think you will find that "the prof" is AGAINST the idea of using the Bignold Park as a site. Isn't that what this thread is all about? You talk about us looking like dimwits fighting against our own council trying to build us a new school. I can't talk for everyone, but as far as I can see there is no objection to a new school, just an objection to where it is being proposed to be built. I have seen some of the reasons put forward for the Bignold being the best option but I am not convinced by it. As I have pointed out already, the specifications look the same as summarised in the paper for next weeks drop in session. That six lane pool you mention on another thread is listed for BOTH sites, so what is your point there? I have also read that HRC's David Sutherland has said that West Banks is always going to be a bottleneck. Funny, that this fact didn't stop me or any of my fellow pupils from getting to the school every day. Lord forbid that our kids had to walk a bit further to school and actually get some more of that exercise we are always hearing they are badly lacking today. Next they will be telling us that the street has shrunk since my days at Wick High, no doubt due to Global Warming ;)

Tubthumper
21-Jun-10, 23:38
Funny, that this fact didn't stop me or any of my fellow pupils from getting to the school every day. Lord forbid that our kids had to walk a bit further to school and actually get some more of that exercise we are always hearing they are badly lacking today. Next they will be telling us that the street has shrunk since my days at Wick High, no doubt due to Global Warming ;)
Aye, back in 'e day...
Sorry, I didn't mean to drag Prof Baikie into the Bignold part of the debate. The most appropriate site should be chosen, that's obvious. But if that's the Bignold Park, what's the problem?
But look at yourselves on here: the opportunity for a brand new facility, top notch school to replace the broken wreck you have, with a competition standard pool, a library and a performance centre, and youse are falling over yourselves to put conditions on it, argue about where its to go and what it's to contain! And there's history, the same thing happened with your all-weather pitch!!
Do youse care nothing for your kids or your town? Do you know how it looks to an outsider??
Aye, back in 'e day...;)

glaikit
22-Jun-10, 18:31
Aye, back in 'e day...
Sorry, I didn't mean to drag Prof Baikie into the Bignold part of the debate. The most appropriate site should be chosen, that's obvious. But if that's the Bignold Park, what's the problem?
But look at yourselves on here: the opportunity for a brand new facility, top notch school to replace the broken wreck you have, with a competition standard pool, a library and a performance centre, and youse are falling over yourselves to put conditions on it, argue about where its to go and what it's to contain! And there's history, the same thing happened with your all-weather pitch!!
Do youse care nothing for your kids or your town? Do you know how it looks to an outsider??
Aye, back in 'e day...;)

I think you're in broadcast mode Tubs and should reel your neck in. Have a read of Scorrie's post again; s/he's entirely reasonable in what he's saying. And using emotional blackmail to try to silence the community's views by insinuating that they don't care about their kids is ridiculous. Let everyone voice their opinion without fear of being rebuked. Last time I looked, we live in a democracy and at the end of the day, it's our taxes that will be paying for this school.

Tubthumper
22-Jun-10, 19:40
You could be right Glaikit, but no, I'll leave my neck as it is. It's too nice a day to be laughing at the daftness, I'll just chill out here and watch the footie.:D

glaikit
22-Jun-10, 20:20
Fair enough. I'll leave my neck as is too ;)

glaikit
22-Jun-10, 20:23
And we'll hopefully both live to "have a reasonable, balanced discussion" another day....and pigs might fly[lol]

veritas
23-Jun-10, 13:55
I think everyone should start to weigh up the pros and cons of each of the sites before jumping headlong into a decision on what they favour as a start I have quckly noted some of the pros and cons of each site perhaps others can be addes then a balanced judment can be made

Pros for Existing Site
Council Owned
Near Existing School
Has Ian Baikies Support
Doesn’t affect Bignold Park

Cons for Existing Site
Restricted access
West Banks Terrace and Newton Road Access narrow housing both sides in West Banks
Very close to Hood Street
Restricted space for community facilities
Loss of playing facilities while new school is built

Pros for Bignold Park
Council Owned
More room for community facilities
Open space
Will allow existing school playing field to be developed
Good access
Northcote Street and Harrowhill wide with housing only on one side
Retention of existing school and playing facilities while new school is built

Cons for Bignold park
Doesn’t have Ian Baikies Support
Loss of open space
Possible title restrictions
Public reaction?
Loss of existing football pitches while new school is built

Venture
23-Jun-10, 16:45
Thanks veritas for mentioning Iain Baikie in your post, it has reminded me of the letter submitted by him in today's Courier.

http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/news/fullstory.php/aid/8298/Public_must_have_their_say_on_new_school.html

There are a few who will not like what he has said.

I predict some u-turns, denials and date changes on the way.;)

glaikit
23-Jun-10, 17:08
That is absolutely shocking!!! Talk about taking us for a bunch of mugs:eek:

'Councillors appear to have lost sight of one basic, vital, fact - it is our money they are spending and we have a right to say what it should be spent on. It is time for them to sit up and take note - we vote them into positions of power and we can vote them out again! Our local councillors represent the local people, not those in office in Inverness. One can only make assumptions about why Bignold Park has been chosen as their preferred site.'

Amen to that Prof: you lead the way and we'll be right behind you, whatever our viewpoints; at least I hope we will.

wickplayer
23-Jun-10, 17:39
I'm sorry to say but everyone was moaning about the state of the school a few months ago now there is a plausable solution people are turning against it. I know the current building is a huge mess but isn't it the quality of the EDUCATION the students get. Is it the surroundings that are teaching the kids?

WICKER10
23-Jun-10, 18:01

'Councillors appear to have lost sight of one basic, vital, fact - it is our money they are spending and we have a right to say what it should be spent on. It is time for them to sit up and take note - we vote them into positions of power and we can vote them out again! Our local councillors represent the local people, not those in office in Inverness. One can only make assumptions about why Bignold Park has been chosen as their preferred site.'

Amen to that Prof: you lead the way and we'll be right behind you, whatever our viewpoints; at least I hope we will.
Well Said so true.I hope to see all our Councillors at the meeting next Monday Night about the school

veritas
23-Jun-10, 19:35
fair enough if annoys you so much Removed !! but it is relivent I think

veritas
23-Jun-10, 19:59

Actualy when you talk about "Our money" as 18m is being funded by Scottsih Governemnt then that is being funded by the population of Scotland 5m ignoring the fact most of our money comes from the UK government the remaining 12m will be funded by Highland Council which we (Caithnesss only makes up 11%) so the amount each person is personally contributing is about £56 including all non tax payers so whereas the whole of Caithness is contributing towards about £1.4m the rest of the country is contributing the remaining £28.6m perhaps we should be asking them

Venture
23-Jun-10, 20:11
Actualy when you talk about "Our money" as 18m is being funded by Scottsih Governemnt then that is being funded by the population of Scotland 5m ignoring the fact most of our money comes from the UK government the remaining 12m will be funded by Highland Council which we (Caithnesss only makes up 11%) so the amount each person is personally contributing is about £56 including all non tax payers so whereas the whole of Caithness is contributing towards about £1.4m the rest of the country is contributing the remaining £28.6m perhaps we should be asking them

Don't forget if it hadn't been for the likes of Mr Baikie, whose name you seem to be so fond of quoting, there certainly wouldn't be the £18M from the Scottish Government. In fact there probably wouldn't even be a school.

It's high time money was being spent in Caithness. Inverness have certainly had their share and more of "everybody's" money as you describe it.

So does this mean then that the rest of the country will also be contributing towards the new council offices?

veritas
23-Jun-10, 20:42
Don't forget if it hadn't been for the likes of Mr Baikie, whose name you seem to be so fond of quoting, there certainly wouldn't be the £18M from the Scottish Government. In fact there probably wouldn't even be a school.

It's high time money was being spent in Caithness. Inverness have certainly had their share and more of "everybody's" money as you describe it.

So does this mean then that the rest of the country will also be contributing towards the new council offices?

yep I guess so that the way funding works (by the way I agree we should be getting more spent here) juts pointing out tongue in cheek who money it is!!

glaikit
23-Jun-10, 21:56
We could even break it down to who's paying the most tax in the area. Maybe we could build a school for the parents who are paying the most and leave the poor kids in the falling down school cos their Mums and Dad aint paid enough.

Better still, lets give everyone opportunities based solely on their parents' incomes altogether. That way we can keep all the snotty, poor kids away from those who are entitled to better by virtue of their birth. Just think, all the schools from Manchester upwards (excluding Edinburgh of course) could operate on this system and we'd save a fortune. Get the poorhouses back up and running and we're sorted.

Won't be any of this silly 'having an opinion' then. [evil]

In fact, why bother educated the lower income classes at all?

katarina
23-Jun-10, 22:31
I
Cons for Existing Site
Restricted access
West Banks Terrace and Newton Road Access narrow housing both sides in West Banks

the access isn't all that restricted, only slightly.
Only on one side where the school is.
Why should proximity to Hood street come into the equation?
Well scrap the community favilities - we already have them in town.
Send them up to the Bignold park to play!

florence
24-Jun-10, 02:21
Pros for Existing Site
Council Owned
Near Existing School
Has Ian Baikies Support
Doesn’t affect Bignold Park

Cons for Existing Site
Restricted access

Pros for Bignold Park
Council Owned
More room for community facilities
Open space
Will allow existing school playing field to be developed
Good access
Northcote Street and Harrowhill wide with housing only on one side
Retention of existing school and playing facilities while new school is built

Cons for Bignold park
Doesn’t have Ian Baikies Support
Loss of open space
Possible title restrictions
Public reaction?
Loss of existing football pitches while new school is built[/quote]

Veritas you appear informed on a few areas of this debate, and some legal matters. What has the proximity to Hood Street have to do with debate ? I think open space should be moved from pros to cons on the Bignold side.

scorrie
24-Jun-10, 16:50
Why should proximity to Hood street come into the equation?

Indeed, there are only eight houses in that street and, whisper it to them, they are already close to a School!!

Tubthumper
24-Jun-10, 17:20
What has the proximity to Hood Street have to do with debate ? What has proximity to housing got to do with it full stop? If a great big windfarm can be approved on the basis of 'for the greater good' why can't a school? After all, it's for the good of the people of the town, isn't it?

florence
24-Jun-10, 20:03
Thanks veritas for mentioning Iain Baikie in your post, it has reminded me of the letter submitted by him in today's Courier.

http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/news/fullstory.php/aid/8298/Public_must_have_their_say_on_new_school.html

There are a few who will not like what he has said.

I predict some u-turns, denials and date changes on the way.;)

I think Mr Baikie clearly displays priorities that put our children's future education first. Our councillors have so many over-lapping interests that I fear they'll tie themselves up in knots and it is this project that will suffer. This letter is pitched at an appropriate level that demands answers and change that is necessary for the WHS project to succeed. Both barrels, well done.

fender
25-Jun-10, 13:00
Oh joy. Another n.i.m.b.y. letter from east banks in the press.

katarina
25-Jun-10, 13:15
Another letter in JOJ from councilor MacNab in groat today. Talks very persuasively about new school. Yes, we all want a new school - but no one has answered my question yet about Thistle park.
I live nowhere near the bignold park, but would join a sit in, if it meant stopping building there.

fingalmacool
25-Jun-10, 19:43
I think NIMBY has been mentioned already, and it seems that there are a lot of politician speak going on in the paper today which has many meanings, so I applaud the artistry so to speak, quote 1, Out of respect for him (Prof Baikie) I have to respond, in other words I feel he hasn't a clue what he's talking about, and another blow beneath the belt, "he has a relation staying in Northcote Street", in other words he has a vested interest, OUCH!!
And lets not forget the broadside to the punters, "whats the use of holding a petition, all of you will be intimidated and confused etc etc, in other words, do i have to spell it out i think not.
And lets not forget the kicker, if you don't make your mind up they will pull the funding, are you all scared know, I think not.
I don't usually read the letters that are put into the local paper but was gob smacked at the size of the response so felt the need to at least skim it, but when i read that a head came over the parapet, i thought well that doesn't happen too often, so i better read on. Councilors heads should be permanently over the parapet, because if they are not they haven't a clue whats going on around them:confused

Alice in Blunderland
25-Jun-10, 20:58
but no one has answered my question yet about Thistle park.

I believe Venture touched on this in her post. :)

Venture
25-Jun-10, 21:46
In last week's Groat:
However, a Highland Council spokesman said yesterday that the meeting in Inverness would be considering a recommendation not to spend £30m on five care homes and actually to invest £130 million in education.

"The council is making education its number one priority. Wick is earmarked to get £30 million, of which £18.4 million will come from the Scottish Government. That is fantastic news for Wick," he said.
"It is a fantastic deal. We have to meet one third of the cost and Wick gets a new school, library, swimming pool and performance area."

This week in the Groat by Mrs Macnab:
This meeting, however, only secures the funding and has no reflection on where it is spent. It is a five-year capital plan and the only decision which was being made yesterday was "are these our priorities", not how the funding is spent. Every single one will come back separately with a detailed business plan, options and if necessary go through a consultation process. When that time comes the decision will not be made by local councillors alone but by a whole committee.

katarina
25-Jun-10, 22:18
I believe Venture touched on this in her post. :)

That was my first post. i meant the second one.

Alice in Blunderland
25-Jun-10, 22:21
That was my first post. i meant the second one.

Apologies so many posts I have missed that one.

katarina
25-Jun-10, 22:31
In
This meeting, however, only secures the funding and has no reflection on where it is spent. It is a five-year capital plan and the only decision which was being made yesterday was "are these our priorities", not how the funding is spent. .

A direct quote from Bill Fernie says otherwise or am i misreading the whole thing?

quote; The money is not available to be transferred to any other use. If we do not build a pool that part of the offer will be withdrawn.

Venture
25-Jun-10, 22:37
A direct quote from Bill Fernie says otherwise or am i misreading the whole thing?

quote; The money is not available to be transferred to any other use. If we do not build a pool that part of the offer will be withdrawn.

Two different things here katarina. Bill Fernie is referring to the £2M given within the £18.6M towards the cost of the school. If a school is built without a pool the total funding awarded of £18.6M will be reduced by £2M.

scorrie
25-Jun-10, 23:30
I think NIMBY has been mentioned already, and it seems that there are a lot of politician speak going on in the paper today which has many meanings, so I applaud the artistry so to speak, quote 1, Out of respect for him (Prof Baikie) I have to respond, in other words I feel he hasn't a clue what he's talking about, and another blow beneath the belt, "he has a relation staying in Northcote Street", in other words he has a vested interest, OUCH!!
And lets not forget the broadside to the punters, "whats the use of holding a petition, all of you will be intimidated and confused etc etc, in other words, do i have to spell it out i think not.
And lets not forget the kicker, if you don't make your mind up they will pull the funding, are you all scared know, I think not.
I don't usually read the letters that are put into the local paper but was gob smacked at the size of the response so felt the need to at least skim it, but when i read that a head came over the parapet, i thought well that doesn't happen too often, so i better read on. Councilors heads should be permanently over the parapet, because if they are not they haven't a clue whats going on around them:confused

A big letter indeed but one that could have been kept a lot shorter. We have heard it all already and the bones of it all is that the whole agenda (as I intimated earlier) is ultimately driven by money.

Mrs Macnab keeps going on about "knowing all the facts", I would ask "What are these mysterious facts, do YOU know what they are, if so, why the hell haven't these facts been shared with the Public since the start?"

We have Mrs Macnab on the letters page scaremongering about losing the money and only being able to build the School on the SNP's terms. I reckon that, unless the SNP are the ones who have planned the new school and specified precisely what it can and can't contain, this statement is highly misleading.

I would take this opportunity to remind/make readers aware that Councillors Katrina Macnab and Bill Fernie released a joint statement, which is on the Groat website and dated 4th June. This was to express concern about the postcard campaign conducted by the PTA, canvassing opinion on the two sites for the new School:-

http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/news/fullstory.php/aid/8222/Postcard_campaign_concern.html

You will note that the following statement is made:-

"The decision to sign or not to sign a petition based on less than the full facts could be detrimental to an early start but everyone must decide for themselves."

Somewhat surprising then, to read on the front page of the Groat TODAY that Bill Fernie stressed:-

"Money from the Scottish Government will not be released until 2012/13 and that would be the earliest the school could be built."

He then goes on to say:-

"We have plenty of time to decide what to do"

crayola
26-Jun-10, 00:06
This meeting, however, only secures the funding and has no reflection on where it is spent. It is a five-year capital plan and the only decision which was being made yesterday was "are these our priorities", not how the funding is spent. Every single one will come back separately with a detailed business plan, options and if necessary go through a consultation process. When that time comes the decision will not be made by local councillors alone but by a whole committee.I read her ludicrously long rant in the Groat. It's the sort of thing I would write to get it out of my system if I was annoyed with someone. I would then throw it in the bin where it belongs and do it properly and professionally the second time.

She has written a rant that people will probably beat her up with. I fear she will live to regret it, which is a pity because I usually respect her. Her facts are like fred's facts but fred's letter would have been much better.

sweetpea
26-Jun-10, 00:38
I've been keeping up with the 'new school' story myself and came to the conclusion that there's a lot of angry people and probably cover-ups too and withholding of 'facts' whatever they may be.
I've got loads of questions in my mind about it but after the letters in the paper today I am confused:confused is there a meeting next Monday and what is the purpose of it?

Venture
26-Jun-10, 01:56
I've been keeping up with the 'new school' story myself and came to the conclusion that there's a lot of angry people and probably cover-ups too and withholding of 'facts' whatever they may be.
I've got loads of questions in my mind about it but after the letters in the paper today I am confused:confused is there a meeting next Monday and what is the purpose of it?

A Highland Council offical is quoted in the Groat as saying, "the purpose of the drop-in session and public meeting on the 28th June is to raise awareness and to put the options in the public domain." Come along sweetpea and ask your questions. Hopefullly you will be given answers.

florence
26-Jun-10, 06:34

Good analysis. Keeping in touch, and not ruling, ones plebians is a necessary evil to remain in office. I think our councillor's letter made me think more of Wordsworth's famous poyum " I wandered lonely as a cloud (drifting over a wide empty space called the Bignold)". I congratulate Mr Fernie on his honesty which I guess is what happens when you're backed into a corner.

The whole issue with the parent council is one of timing and then we are quite glibbly told that 2013 is insight and reading the fine print,our new school will be delivered in 2018. Take all the frills we're being promised off the plan (how much does it cost to run a 6 lane swimming pool ( add to this the cost of filling in the newest swimming pool in Caithness)? Oh I forgot financial info is Top Secret) we can proceed with a new school in 2011 and have it delivered in 2014.

Mr Baikie do not lose heart I have a simple equation for you to solve:

Bureaucrat does not equal Autocrat
Chief Executive equals empire builder does not equal councillor

Normalise this equation and we'll all get by far more pleasantly.

dozy
26-Jun-10, 08:29
How about building the School between Roberts Street and North Road along the back of the old Bignold Hospital ..I do hope Wickers puts an end to the Councillors that are mouthing off ,ain't these the same ones that pushed through the ill fated CHaP and poured £19 Million down the drain.....

glaikit
26-Jun-10, 09:52
Well done to the Risbridgers for sticking their 'heads above the parapet', without ranting, when they really don't have to. See they've already had some stick on here for saying what everyone else is thinking. We can all be brave sitting in front of a pc.

I admire any normal citizen prepared to put themselves out there, whether I agree with them or not. Agree with everything Scorrie said and a few others. Public servants, that's the operative word.

Can't wait for the Courier: light fuse and stand well back :lol:. Now it's really going to get interesting.

fender
26-Jun-10, 11:45
Yes very brave being your bosses mouth piece.

katarina
26-Jun-10, 11:56
How about building the School between Roberts Street and North Road along the back of the old Bignold Hospital ..I do hope Wickers puts an end to the Councillors that are mouthing off ,ain't these the same ones that pushed through the ill fated CHaP and poured £19 Million down the drain.....

the council do not own the land. They'd have to buy it. this is why I keep asking about Thistle Park which I thought they owned.

Venture
26-Jun-10, 12:02

Here we go again, another personal attack, this time from behind a keyboard.:roll: Fender you seem passionately against anyone who speaks out against the council. Do you work for them by any chance?:roll:

Venture
26-Jun-10, 12:05
Let me tell you a story - Once upon a time there was a very broken down school. Said school was being left to fall around the ears of those inside trying to learn. Lots of council type locals and people with letters stuck on names promising help. Lots of shouting of empty purses, false promises and nothing happening.:roll: Along comes determined Parent Council takes bull by the horns. Much pestering, petitioning, arguing and banging on doors to follow. Result - £18.4M. Great news, much joy in Wick. Future looks bright. New school plans, site sorted, possible things sporty, splashing of water and reading of books:) Halt! Dampners ahead. Barriers up, doors closed, official huddles in corners. Changes afoot. Cuts, cuts and more broken down buidlings. Scraping of pots. Scratching of heads. Lots of fibs, twisting of words and stabbing of backs............ No more worries, problem solved. Solution -FOUR birds, one stone. Dispose of broken down, splashy place, book corner and singing and dancing place add to school and place on very large green space. Lots of pats on backs for good idea from councillors. Jackpot. And we all live happily ever after...............not.

The end to the story CAN be determined by the public. We all want this school ASAP. The majority of the Parent Council, the pupils, staff and parents don't think the Park is the best place for any type of school. Whether you do or don't want a school on the Bignold Park for goodness sake do something about it. Be heard, ask questions no matter who you are or where you or your relatives live, you are entitled to your opinion in this process. Contrary to what our councillors are telling us there are other options out there. Don't let any threats about funding being lost give the impression that if its not built there we wont get it at all. Demand the facts. Far too many have been hidden from the public. Local councillors need to start being honest and stop making personal jibes at those who have been doing all the work for them, mainly those who fought for the money in the first place. This is money that HRC officials and councillors think they can now play around with to suit their needs rather than those for whom it was intended.....the future children of Wick High School. The Parent Council have nothing to hide, we tell the truth and nothing but the truth and none of us are frightened to stand up and say what we think especially to those who are under the impression, because they work for HRC, that their actions shouldn't be questioned. They might think that they have the upper hand in all of this, obvious by the delays that are now creeping in, but rest assured if things don't start moving shortly, we will take it further. Local authorities are answerable to the Scottish Government, the same Government whose leader publicly commended the Parent Council campaign and awarded the money in the first place. The ultimate goal for us is the Best School possible on the best site available and believe you me we will fight till we get it.:)

Tubthumper
26-Jun-10, 12:10
Go Venture! That's the stuff we like to hear!:D

glaikit
26-Jun-10, 13:26
Venture, words fail me....... because I cannot think of enough adequate, complimentary adjectives to describe and praise your post.

Thank God for you and yours :D

scorrie
26-Jun-10, 13:40

Yet more in-depth analysis from our Spanish correspondent, Juan Liner ;)

florence
26-Jun-10, 15:22
I think the work of the parent council has been tireless. Encouraging people to speak out is great, I see the people of Wick speaking on this issue moreso than they have been. When you get to the stage that you have to read between the lines coming from your councillors there is some merit in adopting a similar slant. I would encourage the parent council to boycott Monday's brainwashing session. I certainly am not interested in being fed filtered information. Let's all get 2013 and a once in a lifetime opportunity melded ......

fender
26-Jun-10, 19:25
Let me tell you a story - Once upon a time there was a very broken down school. Said school was being left to fall around the ears of those inside trying to learn. Lots of council type locals and people with letters stuck on names promising help. Lots of shouting of empty purses, false promises and nothing happening.:roll: Along comes determined Parent Council takes bull by the horns. Much pestering, petitioning, arguing and banging on doors to follow. Result - £18.4M. Great news, much joy in Wick. Future looks bright. New school plans, site sorted, possible things sporty, splashing of water and reading of books:) Halt! Dampners ahead. Barriers up, doors closed, official huddles in corners. Changes afoot. Cuts, cuts and more broken down buidlings. Scraping of pots. Scratching of heads. Lots of fibs, twisting of words and stabbing of backs............ No more worries, problem solved. Solution -FOUR birds, one stone. Dispose of broken down, splashy place, book corner and singing and dancing place add to school and place on very large green space. Lots of pats on backs for good idea from councillors. Jackpot. And we all live happily ever after...............not.

The end to the story CAN be determined by the public. We all want this school ASAP. The majority of the Parent Council, the pupils, staff and parents don't think the Park is the best place for any type of school. Whether you do or don't want a school on the Bignold Park for goodness sake do something about it. Be heard, ask questions no matter who you are or where you or your relatives live, you are entitled to your opinion in this process. Contrary to what our councillors are telling us there are other options out there. Don't let any threats about funding being lost give the impression that if its not built there we wont get it at all. Demand the facts. Far too many have been hidden from the public. Local councillors need to start being honest and stop making personal jibes at those who have been doing all the work for them, mainly those who fought for the money in the first place. This is money that HRC officials and councillors think they can now play around with to suit their needs rather than those for whom it was intended.....the future children of Wick High School. The Parent Council have nothing to hide, we tell the truth and nothing but the truth and none of us are frightened to stand up and say what we think especially to those who are under the impression, because they work for HRC, that their actions shouldn't be questioned. They might think that they have the upper hand in all of this, obvious by the delays that are now creeping in, but rest assured if things don't start moving shortly, we will take it further. Local authorities are answerable to the Scottish Government, the same Government whose leader publicly commended the Parent Council campaign and awarded the money in the first place. The ultimate goal for us is the Best School possible on the best site available and believe you me we will fight till we get it.:)

Ola

Spoken as a member of the Parent Council. The truth as you had been told to believe

Venture
26-Jun-10, 19:42
Ola

Spoken as a member of the Parent Council. The truth as you had been told to believe

Why fender you must be about the only person on the org who DIDN'T know I was on the Parent Council. Yes, you're right and pretty obvious I'd say by my posts. Now what untruths are you speaking about? Do you want the HRC ones or the Councillors' ones first.

Thanks for the wave by the way and "Olé" to you too.

glaikit
26-Jun-10, 20:01
Well said Venture.
The phrase 'one trick pony' springs to mind with regards to these posts from the aptly renamed 'Juan' :roll:

WICKER10
26-Jun-10, 21:38
Its about time Cllr MacNab came out with all the Facts on the site for the new School.
She was also involve in CHAP and boy that wasted some Money and still is ,it has wasted more tham half the cost of the new school.
But money never seems a Problem for her PPP issues ofcourse with PPP funds she can employ some more of her Family and Friends
She seems to forget that it is our money the Taxpayers and it was us Taxpayers who voted her in and can just as easy vote her OUT.

Venture
27-Jun-10, 12:30
http://www.caithness-business.co.uk/article.php?id=1756

Reminder to everyone about tomorrow's "Drop-in Day", 10am to 5pm and "
"Public Meeting" 7pm.

Venture
27-Jun-10, 16:56
Setting all the arguments to one side, I'm sure everyone is delighted at the prospect of a new "all singing, all dancing" school but surely people must also be saddened at the prospect of another three empty buildings.:( As if we don't have enough of them around the town already.

Tubthumper
27-Jun-10, 19:08
There's something to be said for savings on costs by having new facilities under one roof, however your point about more empty buildings is a good one.
And who would want to buy or let an ex-swimming pool or ex-library? What was the third one by the way - the Assembly Rooms?:eek:

Venture
27-Jun-10, 20:04
There's something to be said for savings on costs by having new facilities under one roof, however your point about more empty buildings is a good one.
And who would want to buy or let an ex-swimming pool or ex-library? What was the third one by the way - the Assembly Rooms?:eek:

Yes Tubs it is supposed to be the Assembly Rooms.

Tubthumper
27-Jun-10, 23:03
Its about time Cllr MacNab came out with all the Facts on the site for the new School...
...She seems to forget that it is our money the Taxpayers and it was us Taxpayers who voted her in and can just as easy vote her OUT.
The problem is who will take her place? There's not a huge line of people wanting to be councillors, is there? And if she does get voted out, will the replacements be any better?
Edit - maybe some of those who make up the WHS Parents Council and done such a fine job of getting the funding in place would make excellent councillors. It's been a good development opportunity, which has worked.

Venture
28-Jun-10, 10:52
Edit - maybe some of those who make up the WHS Parents Council and done such a fine job of getting the funding in place would make excellent councillors. It's been a good development opportunity, which has worked.
[lol] Now there's something to think about.[lol]

WICKER10
28-Jun-10, 11:40
[lol] Now there's something to think about.[lol]
I think Venture would make a Good Councillor and perhaps would see things other than the letters PPP.

Venture
28-Jun-10, 12:39
I think Venture would make a Good Councillor and perhaps would see things other than the letters PPP.

Thanks WICKER10, but no thanks.:lol: There are others I could recommend though.;)

Dusty6
28-Jun-10, 13:09
The closer a school to you the better methinks,
I dare suggest it would not hurt you to be similarly close to a school too.....

lynne duncan
28-Jun-10, 17:55
i'm going tonight, will make for interesting listening.
don't care for which site they build on as long as it is a new build and done asap

Moira
29-Jun-10, 01:00
The problem is who will take her place? There's not a huge line of people wanting to be councillors, is there? And if she does get voted out, will the replacements be any better?

Spot on Tubthumper.

You present a very fine point. However, I didn't "spot" Katrina MacNab in the audience tonight. I also think she owes Prof Iain Baikie an apology.

Venture
29-Jun-10, 01:14
Spot on Tubthumper.

You present a very fine point. However, I didn't "spot" Katrina MacNab in the audience tonight. I also think she owes Prof John Baikie an apology.

She was there Moira, but for some reason did not participate in the meeting, apart from mingling with the crowd at the beginning and the end. There was a really good turnout and a lot of opposition to using the Bignold Park site for the new school. There is still a lot of uncertainty about the plans but the council did give an assurance that HRC funding is guaranteed and that a final decision on the site will be made by the end of January. It was confirmed that the idea of bringing the Bignold Park into the process came from Councillor Graeme Smith. There were no definite answers on what would be available to the football users at the old site if the school was built at the Park. The new consultation process will start after the ECS meeting on 5th August and will last for six weeks.
What did others who attended the meeting think of the proceedings?

WICKER10
29-Jun-10, 06:57
Go to meeting in Inverness/Ross shire/Fort William and all the Local councillors are useally sitting at the Table facing the Audiance with there Names Displayed in Front of them ,the others at the table also have there names on display.
The microphones are cordless to make it easy to pass around instead of that thing they used lastnight.
Bit of a shambles i would say not even enough chairs out.

glaikit
29-Jun-10, 08:28
There is still a lot of uncertainty about the plans but the council did give an assurance that HRC funding is guaranteed and that a final decision on the site will be made by the end of January. It was confirmed that the idea of bringing the Bignold Park into the process came from Councillor Graeme Smith.

First bit, that's good news.

Second, very interesting since his name has not mentioned at all up to this point. Wonder if he'll come out the woodwork now?

Agree with last poster: bit disorganised and you would have thought all of the 'officials' would have made themselves known and taken part.

Still, good so many people could go and it shows that contrary to all that's been said (Tuuubbs!), WE DO CARE!!!

WICKER10
29-Jun-10, 09:31
A question was asked to Cllr Fernie last night "HAVE THE COUNCIL THOUGHT ABOUT THE PURCHASE OF THE PARK IN NEWTON ROAD BEHIND THE FOUR HOUSES",.
He very quickly moved on to the Next question without giving an answer Why i ask!
If this Park was Purchased by the council this would give Plenty of Room on the School site without the need to use the Bignold Park.
Access to the school site was also mentioned by using the road at the town and county hospital another good point.
The firm that produced the plans Have Never Designed a School Before why were they Chosen i ask ? Cost maybe!
Good to see Alistair Trail and John Inkster both former rectors of the High schools in caithness asking Questions these are the people who know how a school should be set out .
The Silence of Cllr Macnab was Strange after all she is a Wick ward counciller.
Cllr Smith shows his true colour again with his "It was my idea the Bignold park Statement"perhaps he wishes a Tesco on the old school site as he seems to be a Fan of that Firm voting against there rivals Asda in Thurso and Tain .He was also the Cllr who made Plenty of Noise about the CHAP heating what cost was that alose to us taxpayers 18 Million and still counting that sum would of helped the New school Building alot
Cllr Smith should look Back in the History Books the Late Cllr Anderson Murray tried to pull a Stunt Years ago to Build on the Bignold Park and that failed

florence
29-Jun-10, 09:51
You present a very fine point. However, I didn't "spot" Katrina MacNab in the audience tonight. I also think she owes Prof John Baikie an apology.[/quote]

That would be a half page public apology on the front of the Groat.....

Glad the meeting went well. I wouldn't accept what amounts to a 6 month consultation phase so readily, this encourages more dragging of feet. Why can't we move straight to consultation phase and call an extraordinary meeting of whichever meeting is required... that saves 3 months already.

This could easily turn into a CHaPs debacle if a balanced project team is not employed external to HRC that is an equal partner to it. If we are now going to conduct a finger pointing exercise on CHaPs then quite frankly every official who lined up to take credit for CHaPs should be fired, this is what would happen in the private sector.

lynne duncan
29-Jun-10, 11:32
wicker10 - i asked the question about the purchase of the field beside the school, and as you said am still waiting for the answer, one of the councillors i queried later agreed that it shouldn't be that expensive to buy,

i wonder if anyone can find paperwork to back the public opinion that the bignold was gifted the wording if there is any paperwork, may hold a restrictive covenant governing the usage of the land

my husband remembers his father saying a while ago that that land was to be used during the war to house soldiers, but due to shallow rock it was a no go,
someone else was also querying this at the meeting last night

WICKER10
29-Jun-10, 13:22
wicker10 - i asked the question about the purchase of the field beside the school, and as you said am still waiting for the answer, one of the councillors i queried later agreed that it shouldn't be that expensive to buy,

i wonder if anyone can find paperwork to back the public opinion that the bignold was gifted the wording if there is any paperwork, may hold a restrictive covenant governing the usage of the land

my husband remembers his father saying a while ago that that land was to be used during the war to house soldiers, but due to shallow rock it was a no go,
someone else was also querying this at the meeting last night
This morning the following was asked of Ron Mackenzie of the Council who was at the meeting last night -
Have the Council looked at the purchase of the land behind the four houses in Newton Road Wick which borders onto the school land.?
His Reply"If the decision is Taken to Proceed with a Statutory Consultation from Mid August this issue will be looked at during that Process, this option has to be Brought into the equation".

Venture
29-Jun-10, 16:35
This morning the following was asked of Ron Mackenzie of the Council who was at the meeting last night -
Have the Council looked at the purchase of the land behind the four houses in Newton Road Wick which borders onto the school land.?
His Reply"If the decision is Taken to Proceed with a Statutory Consultation from Mid August this issue will be looked at during that Process, this option has to be Brought into the equation".

"IF?" Surely they're not thinking about changing things again, since last night.:roll:

lynxman
29-Jun-10, 16:54
How many were at the meeting?
How many of those are objecting to the build at bignold?
How many, who were not at the meeting last night are interested where the school is built?:roll:
How many people are just happy their children are going to get a new school?
Why is it the parent council (as a group have done a great job) are being given sole credit for aquiring the funding for the school, :confused did the local councillors do absolutely nothing towards getting the funding?
Why are people so eager to believe everything they are told by Prof B. is true and the council are telling lies?

WICKER10
29-Jun-10, 17:52
How many, who were not at the meeting last night are interested where the school is built?:roll:
Why is it the parent council (as a group have done a great job) are being given sole credit for aquiring the funding for the school, :confused did the local councillors do absolutely nothing towards getting the funding?
Why are people so eager to believe everything they are told by Prof B. is true and the council are telling lies?

Prof B will research and have Proof before he will Make a statement
Any thing that he has said i am sure he will be able to back it up.
This man is giving alot of his own time to this Project to the benefit of the Children of this area for many years to come.
Some people do not like him because he has exposed the lies that some Cllrs would like us to Hear and believe
I say well done to him and all on the school parent council.!
I would say about 85 % at the meeting last night were against the Bignold Park

glaikit
29-Jun-10, 19:49
Lynxman, you are judged by your actions. If the Professor has the respect of the town for what he has done, where is the problem with that? He has proven to be reliable and tireless in his altruistic pursuit of a new school for this town.
Our councillors should welcome scrutiny and a free and open debate about our new school.
Anything other than that, would make you wonder what they have to hide:eek:

scorrie
29-Jun-10, 21:23

I am always suspicious of first posts on a forum, which have content such as yours.

Let me first ask YOU if you were at the meeting last night? If not, why? You certainly missed a great chance to answer some of your own questions.

I'll try to summarise what I took as the pertinent points from last night's meeting.

There was a summary of the plans by Tom Duff of LDN Architects, here he is if you want a lookie:-

http://www.ldn.co.uk/practice/people/tomduff.html

There was then a summary of the financing by Ron Mackenzie, who I understand is Head of Support Services for Education, Culture and Sport with the Highland Council, his colleague Gordon Craig, who I understand to be Principal Project Manager with the Highland Council,l was also at the table, with Councillor Bill Fernie who was acting as Chair. After the initial summary, parties with an interest were invited to comment. Les Gunn, who is acting Rector at Wick High spoke with little passion, and from firmly on the fence, declaring simply that the main point was not to get away from the fact that there was an opportunity for a New School. We had a lady from Wick Swimming Pool who declared a preference for the Bignold Park, based on what I took to be because it was a "Bonnier" site for a Swimming Pool. This drew an enthusiastic burst of applause from the area where Councillor Katrina Macnab and her family were seated. Sadly, for Mrs Macnab this applause was notably isolated to that area, and things went downhill from thereon, with, what I would estimate to be between 75% and 80% of the loud applause being reserved for speakers who were against the idea of the Bignold Park as a site. Perhaps the biggest hoots of derision on the night came when Ron Mackenzie declared that it was his understanding that The Highland Council own Bignold Park. Councillor Fernie seemed to take the attitude that this was a matter that would probably face legal challenge at some stage of the proceedings. Bearing in mind Ron Mackenzie's stressing about achieving value for money in the Project, it begs the question of where the value lies in pursuing a site that has a hurdle to pass and at what expense?
We were told, only after Tom Duff checked with Ron McKenzie that he was allowed to tell us, that somewhere in the order of £25,000 has already been spent on this "supposed" feasibility study. From what I saw in the assembly rooms yesterday, this amounted to a handful of sketches, which were not even to scale, and a some slides. I would also note at this point, that former Rector Alister Traill, asked Mr Duff how many schools his company had designed previously. The answer, this is Wick we are talking about here, was a somewhat unsurprising NONE. Gordon Craig explained that these architects might not be the ones who ultimately get the job, this being feasibility only and all that!!
I would also like to say here that Alister Traill was like a lion compared to Les Gunn's earlier mouse. The biggest issues I came away from the meeting with concern the lack of willingness on the Highland Council's part to share information and the way that the little information given has been distorted. Professor Iain Baikie informed the assembly that he had not seen the plans for the sites until 10.15am on the day of the meeting. Given his status as Chairman of the PTA, that is an absolute disgrace. Professor Baikie also informed all present, that the sites had not been costed "Like for Like", a fact accepted by Ron Mackenzie and these are to be re-costed. When we will see them though, has to be a matter of doubt given the track record thus far. Professor Baikie drew the biggest and warmest applause of the night and, under the freedom of information act, he has in his possession emails that the Highland Council would rather he didn't have. I would back Iain Baikie, even though I am no relation or friend of his, over the faceless Corporation which is the Highland Council and which pays people to say what THEY want to hear. You know, I get the feeling some of these employees even believe it is the truth after a while!!

Just to finish with some clarification for some who still seem unsure:-

Bill Fernie stated at last night's meeting that the funding is GUARANTEED. This is totally at odds with the scaremongering in Councillor Macnab's recent letter to the local press. A letter which was also touched on and drew several cat-calls last night. Another thing people need to bear in mind is that, despite all the waffle about Public Consultation and having your chance to voice your concerns, ultimately, The Highland Council will do what THEY want to do, and damn the people of Wick.

I must finish with a point I raised with Gordon Craig at the drop-in session. My Wife and I queried what would replace the playing area lost in the Bignold Park. Mr Craig suggested that we would get the existing School Playing fields in it's place. I asked if the Highland Council had plans to sell that land. He replied:-

"I don't think so, anyway, who the hell would want to buy land in Wick?"

As my Father and Mother are my maker!!

PantsMAN
29-Jun-10, 21:37
I am always suspicious of first posts on a forum, which have content such as yours.

CHOPPED TO AVOID REPETITION

Personal attacks belittle your arguments.

Maybe current teachers at the school have more concern for future benefits for Wick youngsters rather than the value of property and let's be aware of the domiciliary arrangements for lion-like speakers!!:Razz

WICKER10
29-Jun-10, 21:44

Let me first ask YOU if you were at the meeting last night? If not, why? You certainly missed a great chance to answer some of your own questions.

I'll try to summarise what I took as the pertinent points from last night's meeting.

There was a summary of the plans by Tom Duff of LDN Architects, here he is if you want a lookie:-

http://www.ldn.co.uk/practice/people/tomduff.html

There was then a summary of the financing by Ron Mackenzie, who I understand is Head of Support Services for Education, Culture and Sport with the Highland Council, his colleague Gordon Craig, who I understand to be Principal Project Manager with the Highland Council,l was also at the table, with Councillor Bill Fernie who was acting as Chair. After the initial summary, parties with an interest were invited to comment. Les Gunn, who is acting Rector at Wick High spoke with little passion, and from firmly on the fence, declaring simply that the main point was not to get away from the fact that there was an opportunity for a New School. We had a lady from Wick Swimming Pool who declared a preference for the Bignold Park, based on what I took to be because it was a "Bonnier" site for a Swimming Pool. This drew an enthusiastic burst of applause from the area where Councillor Katrina Macnab and her family were seated. Sadly, for Mrs Macnab this applause was notably isolated to that area, and things went downhill from thereon, with, what I would estimate to be between 75% and 80% of the loud applause being reserved for speakers who were against the idea of the Bignold Park as a site. Perhaps the biggest hoots of derision on the night came when Ron Mackenzie declared that it was his understanding that The Highland Council own Bignold Park. Councillor Fernie seemed to take the attitude that this was a matter that would probably face legal challenge at some stage of the proceedings. Bearing in mind Ron Mackenzie's stressing about achieving value for money in the Project, it begs the question of where the value lies in pursuing a site that has a hurdle to pass and at what expense?
We were told, only after Tom Duff checked with Ron McKenzie that he was allowed to tell us, that somewhere in the order of £25,000 has already been spent on this "supposed" feasibility study. From what I saw in the assembly rooms yesterday, this amounted to a handful of sketches, which were not even to scale, and a some slides. I would also note at this point, that former Rector Alister Traill, asked Mr Duff how many schools his company had designed previously. The answer, this is Wick we are talking about here, was a somewhat unsurprising NONE. Gordon Craig explained that these architects might not be the ones who ultimately get the job, this being feasibility only and all that!!
I would also like to say here that Alister Traill was like a lion compared to Les Gunn's earlier mouse. The biggest issues I came away from the meeting with concern the lack of willingness on the Highland Council's part to share information and the way that the little information given has been distorted. Professor Iain Baikie informed the assembly that he had not seen the plans for the sites until 10.15am on the day of the meeting. Given his status as Chairman of the PTA, that is an absolute disgrace. Professor Baikie also informed all present, that the sites had not been costed "Like for Like", a fact accepted by Ron Mackenzie and these are to be re-costed. When we will see them though, has to be a matter of doubt given the track record thus far. Professor Baikie drew the biggest and warmest applause of the night and, under the freedom of information act, he has in his possession emails that the Highland Council would rather he didn't have. I would back Iain Baikie, even though I am no relation or friend of his, over the faceless Corporation which is the Highland Council and which pays people to say what THEY want to hear. You know, I get the feeling some of these employees even believe it is the truth after a while!!

Just to finish with some clarification for some who still seem unsure:-

Bill Fernie stated at last night's meeting that the funding is GUARANTEED. This is totally at odds with the scaremongering in Councillor Macnab's recent letter to the local press. A letter which was also touched on and drew several cat-calls last night. Another thing people need to bear in mind is that, despite all the waffle about Public Consultation and having your chance to voice your concerns, ultimately, The Highland Council will do what THEY want to do, and damn the people of Wick.

I must finish with a point I raised with Gordon Craig at the drop-in session. My Wife and I queried what would replace the playing area lost in the Bignold Park. Mr Craig suggested that we would get the existing School Playing fields in it's place. I asked if the Highland Council had plans to sell that land. He replied:-

"I don't think so, anyway, who the hell would want to buy land in Wick?"

Being there myself and husband i would say this post is a fair sum up of the meeting

florence
29-Jun-10, 22:24
Well that's a very interesting summary, I was not at last nights meeting. This thread has had approx 800 hits today so there is definitely plenty of interest in this issue. So in summary we are to rely on HRC and our councillors to design and build this school. I note from the Risbridgers letter they thought HRC would proceed on Bignold Park without consultation, which sounds like its still an option. There seems to be real efforts going into silencing the PTA and undermining its very existence on this project, I find this wholly unacceptable but unless they can exert some influence on the project team by way of participation at a real level then Wick will be railroaded in the direction of the Bignold and my P2 son will be thru WHS before its delivered

Hallelujah

I think I'll go back to my cave now and watch this end of the county be run into the ground like it has been for over a decade now..

Venture
29-Jun-10, 22:51
At one stage in the proceedings we were told by a woman from the audience that she had had a conversation with a councillor, I think she said at a meeting in Inverness, and the discussion had turned to the new Wick High School. The councillor then went on to make the statement that the school going in the Bignold Park, "was a done deal" or words to that effect. What the councillor didn't know at the time was that the lady spoken to actually lived in Northcote Street. She indicated the councillor was present at the meeting last night.

Another member of the audience asked Bill Fernie about how much use the public would actually have of this new pool if school pupils were also using it. His answer was that there were two extra lanes which would accomodate this. He actually inferred that the public would be using the pool and facilities at the same time as the children. Shouts from the audience informed him that this couldn't happen under Child Protection laws. Seemed like he didn't know what they were shouting about.[disgust]

Puzzled
29-Jun-10, 23:05
Shouts from the audience informed him that this couldn't happen under Child Protection laws. Seemed like he didn't know what they were shouting about.

Haven't got a clue about there own policies!

scorrie
29-Jun-10, 23:18
I note from the Risbridgers letter they thought HRC would proceed on Bignold Park without consultation, which sounds like its still an option.

Just to clarify, there WILL be a consultation period, six weeks if I recall correctly. The FACT of the matter however, is that the Council will decide what they are going to do. The people of Wick need to be aware that the Highland Council will have already run the legality issue of building on the Bignold Park past their legal team in Inverness. They wouldn't be taking the plans this far without being sure they are going to get the OK legally. Harking back to Andy Murray trying and failing in the past is not worth clinging onto in hope, these are ruthless times and the Public need to be aware that the Highland Council have planned this from start to finish with a view to getting what THEY want.

fingalmacool
29-Jun-10, 23:35
The fact that Macnab has kept her mouth shut is an indication that she has put her foot in it, knowing Les Gunn it is not surprising that he speaks with no passion he has had to bend over and unclench and say please sir give me more, and by the way i know you think I'm not worthy so kudos to him for sticking with the job as many would have told them where to go. sadly in the end the Council will shaft Wick and do what they want so brace yourselves:confused

scorrie
29-Jun-10, 23:46
Personal attacks belittle your arguments.

Maybe current teachers at the school have more concern for future benefits for Wick youngsters rather than the value of property and let's be aware of the domiciliary arrangements for lion-like speakers!!:Razz

You are clearly not up to speed on this. Were YOU actually at the meeting last night? If so, please feel free to detail your version of what took place.

If you had any awareness regarding the opinions of teachers on the two sites in question, I don't think you would have made such a crass statement concerning current teachers at the School being more concerned about future benefits for Wick youngsters, versus property prices. Teachers WERE asked about the two sites in January, with a result of 82 For the existing Playing Fields, compared to 4 For the Bignold Park. Pretty clear cut I would say.

I notice that you have started a Walter Mitty style "Positive posts only" thread on this same topic. That was the type of thing kids did in Primary School as I recall and I find they often get closed in a fit of pique if it doesn't turn out the way the creator wanted it. I find it best simply to avoid getting involved in debate when you are not willing to hear opinions from all interested parties.

There seems to be an undercurrent of "Oh Wick's getting a posh new School, let's just all doff our caps and be grateful and be good little obedient citizens" amongst some people/posters. Fair enough if people want to behave in that way, that is their prerogative. However, some of us like to look a bit deeper and we see an attitude of secrecy and misleading statements, combined with inconsistencies and strategic "errors"
I defend our right to stand up and say "Here, my head doesn't button up the back, I want to challenge some of this"

This new school is obviously welcome but I don't buy into it needing to be in the Bignold Park. The architect at last night's meeting clearly stated that ALL the planned facilities can be accommodated on BOTH sites, and that is despite some dubiety regarding best use of space at the Playing Field site. The all-under-one-roof seems to be championed as the way forward and I would agree with that to a point but have to express concern about leaving The Assembly Rooms, The Library and The Swimming Pool without a potential alternative use. Oh aye, be proud of a shiny new school but then look around at your town overall and you may well see that very School at one side of it, Tesco at the other side and then boarded up buildings with tumble-weed blowing through the streets of the remainder of it.

sweetpea
29-Jun-10, 23:49
The fact that Macnab has kept her mouth shut is an indication that she has put her foot in it, knowing Les Gunn it is not surprising that he speaks with no passion he has had to bend over and unclench and say please sir give me more, and by the way i know you think I'm not worthy so kudos to him for sticking with the job as many would have told them where to go. sadly in the end the Council will shaft Wick and do what they want so brace yourselves:confused

I do agree about poor Les Gunn he must feel like he's had a right kick in the teeth.

PantsMAN
29-Jun-10, 23:52
Another member of the audience asked Bill Fernie about how much use the public would actually have of this new pool if school pupils were also using it. His answer was that there were two extra lanes which would accomodate this. He actually inferred that the public would be using the pool and facilities at the same time as the children. Shouts from the audience informed him that this couldn't happen under Child Protection laws. Seemed like he didn't know what they were shouting about.[disgust]
All that is required are seperate changing rooms as there are already in many schools in Scotland.

Why are so many wickers looking for any problems with a new school?
There have been new schools built all over Scotland, why should our youngsters be deprived because of the negative views of so many uninformed yet opinionated posters as we see on this thread?

Oh, and scorrie, u really r talking mince now...

Venture
29-Jun-10, 23:57

Can you enlighten me as to what the councillors actually did?

Please tell me what lies you have from Prof. Baikie?

For example if you call "trying to change history" telling lies, then yes they have done.

glaikit
29-Jun-10, 23:58
Och away back to your own thread and stop bothering posters who want to have an adult discussion. Noone's bothering you on your positive thread. Off you go back there and sit and feel superior.

PantsMAN
30-Jun-10, 00:03
Och away back to your own thread and stop bothering posters who want to have an adult discussion. Noone's bothering you on your positive thread. Off you go back there and sit and feel superior.

The fact that i don't agree with u seems to make u feel i should stop posting here... It's a shame that u feel inferior just because i don't share your views.
Get used to it!

glaikit
30-Jun-10, 00:05
Eh, no. You started a thread with the criteria that anyone posting on it should be positive.
Oh, the irony.

PantsMAN
30-Jun-10, 00:10
Being positive, however, has never been a desirable condition of THIS thread... So I feel quite vindicated.

glaikit
30-Jun-10, 00:18
You just pat yourself on the back and feel vindicated. I don't grudge you that, or your opinion.

I do grudge you your patronising, pejorative remarks towards posters who are obviously more knowledgeable than I am (and I would suggest you are) about the machinations of what's going on but I'm beeg enough and ugly enough to ignore it.

And on that note, I bid you a good night.

florence
30-Jun-10, 06:41
I have had many people express concern that nobody is fighting Wick's case in this county and it does seem that someone in HRC has it in for Wick, my impression is that our councillors are too busy looking after their own interests to adopt any real socialist harmony. Will PTA have a say in the direction of this consultation ? Will there be questionaire's? Will there be a question for people to tick whether they prefer the Bignold or the current site ?

I would encourage all these 'positive' posters to join the real world. Thats as bad as buzz words like 'good news stories' whilst sweeping all the bad under the carpet.

When is the next councillors election ? I would imagine an immotive issue such as our new school would bring fresh blood to the council and not before time.

wickscorrie
30-Jun-10, 11:48
have just signed my postcard for where i would like to see the school being built
it would be interesting to see the results of a public choice

Venture
30-Jun-10, 12:01
have just signed my postcard for where i would like to see the school being built
it would be interesting to see the results of a public choice

The results will be available once the survey is complete. A street by street breakdown can also be given if required.

I would expect that the results of the Public Consultation will also be available for all to see.

scorrie
30-Jun-10, 12:13
Oh, and scorrie, u really r talking mince now...

That is your opinion to have.

Were YOU at the meeting on Monday? You haven't answered that yet. You have yet to put forward any coherent argument about why the School needs to be sited at the Bignold Park either. I have had a look at my input and yours. I have no concerns regarding the mince ratio ;)

PantsMAN
30-Jun-10, 14:52

You have yet to put forward any coherent argument about why the School needs to be sited at the Bignold Park either. I have had a look at my input and yours. I have no concerns regarding the mince ratio ;)

I don't think I have ventured an opinion that the school SHOULD be sited at the Bignold Park. You are jumping to conclusions based on the fact that I disagree with your invective.

And no, I wasn't at that meeting but it was not the only meeting that has taken place since a new school was mooted...

scorrie
30-Jun-10, 15:04
I don't think I have ventured an opinion that the school SHOULD be sited at the Bignold Park. You are jumping to conclusions based on the fact that I disagree with your invective.

And no, I wasn't at that meeting but it was not the only meeting that has taken place since a new school was mooted...

What is your opinion then? I've had the decency to put mine forward for analysis.

You were not at the meeting, so you clearly speak from a position of less knowledge of it than I possess from having been there. It may well not be the first meeting held, but it is certainly the first one where members of the public were invited to attend. Shame that people who wish to comment, didn't bother to take the opportunity to arm themselves with some useful FACTS on the matter. You can take the following link and find Bryan Nelson's summary of events on the night:-

http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/news/fullstory.php/aid/8325/Concern_over_access_to_Wick_High_blueprints.html

PantsMAN
30-Jun-10, 15:07
What is your opinion then? I've had the decency to put mine forward for analysis

My opinion is crystal clear - let's get a new school built for the pupils of the East of Caithness.

Let's get the best possible school that money can buy.

Let's get it as soon as possible; with as much equipment and facilities as possible.

Let's make it an iconic community feature that we can be proud of for the next sixty years.

Venture
30-Jun-10, 15:18
My opinion is crystal clear - let's get a new school built for the pupils of the East of Caithness.

Let's get it as soon as possible; with as much equipment and facilities as possible.

Let's make it an iconic community feature that we can be proud of for the next sixty years.

Now where have I heard these exact words before?:roll:

scorrie
30-Jun-10, 15:27

Crystal clear? I think not.

If you had been at Monday's meeting, you would be aware that we ARE going to get a new school. The specifications for the two sites are the same. On either site, we have been promised the best facilities available for the money. The time scale given for the two new build options are the same. We should be able to be proud of it regardless of where it is sited.

That leaves us with a point of yours I have left till last:-

"Let's get it as soon as possible"

There is a process laid out in front of us now. It will proceed pretty much the same for both sites with one vital exception, and that is the issue of ownership of the Bignold Park. I spoke with staff in Wick Service Point today and was told that the Highland Council maintain the site but that they don't own it. I will be pursuing this matter further in due course, but for now it is sufficient to know that Ron Mackenzie stated at the meeting that he believes that The Highland Council DO own the land, a statement that will surely be challenged. Where does that leave your desire for a new School as soon as possible? Legal matters are slow and expensive in my experience. Where is the value for money that Ron Mackenzie championed, in pursuing a site with legal issues attached to it? Also, when the costings are re-done on a "Like for like basis" where will that actually leave us in terms of value for money? Will sacrifices then have to be made to keep the Bignold Park site under budget, once all expenditure to secure that site has been made?

As is often said, hindsight is a great thing. We don't have a crystal ball but I think it makes sense to think through the factors that we can reasonably predict will arise at some stage.

PantsMAN
30-Jun-10, 15:49
Crystal clear? I think not.

If you had been at Monday's meeting, you would be aware that we ARE going to get a new school. The specifications for the two sites are the same. On either site, we have been promised the best facilities available for the money. The time scale given for the two new build options are the same. We should be able to be proud of it regardless of where it is sited.

That leaves us with a point of yours I have left till last:-

"Let's get it as soon as possible"

There is a process laid out in front of us now. It will proceed pretty much the same for both sites with one vital exception, and that is the issue of ownership of the Bignold Park. I spoke with staff in Wick Service Point today and was told that the Highland Council maintain the site but that they don't own it. I will be pursuing this matter further in due course, but for now it is sufficient to know that Ron Mackenzie stated at the meeting that he believes that The Highland Council DO own the land, a statement that will surely be challenged. Where does that leave your desire for a new School as soon as possible? Legal matters are slow and expensive in my experience. Where is the value for money that Ron Mackenzie championed, in pursuing a site with legal issues attached to it? Also, when the costings are re-done on a "Like for like basis" where will that actually leave us in terms of value for money? Will sacrifices then have to be made to keep the Bignold Park site under budget, once all expenditure to secure that site has been made?

As is often said, hindsight is a great thing. We don't have a crystal ball but I think it makes sense to think through the factors that we can reasonably predict will arise at some stage.

So. I am glad you agree with me that we are now positive that Wick is getting a new school.

As far as the Bignold goes, unless the service point staff have access to the register of land-ownership then I maybe wouldn't put too much store in their opinion.

Given that one of the main suggested access routes into the site at the rear of the school is owned by a local company who have a planning application in for housing on the site, there may be a long, expensive legal process to pursue there also.

Either site may well present difficulties but if the community make a concerted effort to get a new school then things are looking up.

So, good we see eye to eye on that then!

scorrie
30-Jun-10, 16:05
As far as the Bignold goes, unless the service point staff have access to the register of land-ownership then I maybe wouldn't put too much store in their opinion.

Given that one of the main suggested access routes into the site at the rear of the school is owned by a local company who have a planning application in for housing on the site, there may be a long, expensive legal process to pursue there also.

I think your first statement is a bit disrespectful to people who are dealing with the park on a regular basis.

I would imagine any compulsory purchase order is likely to proceed much more easily in the face of opposition from company, compared to a scenario where the whole town effectively own a piece of land. I cannot agree that these scenarios are comparable. I would indeed state that the company stand zero chance of preventing it happening and probably would see the wisdom in not challenging it.

PantsMAN
30-Jun-10, 16:07
I think your first statement is a bit disrespectful to people who are dealing with the park on a regular basis.

I certainly meant no disrepect to public service workers, however I suspect that the technicalities and intricacies of the disputed legal ownership of a tract of land is maybe outwith their duties " on a regular basis".

sweetpea
30-Jun-10, 16:37
I have had many people express concern that nobody is fighting Wick's case in this county and it does seem that someone in HRC has it in for Wick, my impression is that our councillors are too busy looking after their own interests to adopt any real socialist harmony. Will PTA have a say in the direction of this consultation ? Will there be questionaire's? Will there be a question for people to tick whether they prefer the Bignold or the current site ?

I would encourage all these 'positive' posters to join the real world. Thats as bad as buzz words like 'good news stories' whilst sweeping all the bad under the carpet.

When is the next councillors election ? I would imagine an immotive issue such as our new school would bring fresh blood to the council and not before time.

Florence these are the same questions I am wondering about too. When will the public get to have their say? Are there any group set up to speak up and ask these things?

scorrie
30-Jun-10, 20:38

There will be a six week consultation period (the actual requirement is 30 School Days), Ron Mackenzie and his colleague stated at the meeting that anyone can submit an objection to the plans, and that all such objection will be recorded. As I recall from the meeting, this will take us into September of this year in the time scale. Whether a joint objection or many separate individual objection is better from the Public's point of view is not something I could quantify. It is also the case that different people will probably want to protest for different reasons. Perhaps a general objection petition of some nature could be started? Meantime, I am making my own enquiries.

People need to appreciate that Ron Mackenzie stated that all opinions will be considered BUT, ultimately the HIGHLAND COUNCIL will make the decision, based on what THEY consider to be best.

The matter of the next Local Councillor elections was raised at the meeting, with a member of the Public asking if there were elections next year. Ron Mackenzie replied that these elections were due in 2012.

Venture
30-Jun-10, 20:51
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/legislation/scotland/acts2010/asp_20100002_en_1

This link should give everyone all the information they need on the consultation.

If you click on Show EN to the right of each section a more simplified explanation of the text is given.

florence
30-Jun-10, 21:50
There will be a six week consultation period (the actual requirement is 30 School Days), Ron Mackenzie and his colleague stated at the meeting that anyone can submit an objection to the plans, and that all such objection will be recorded. As I recall from the meeting, this will take us into September of this year in the time scale. Whether a joint objection or many separate individual objection is better from the Public's point of view is not something I could quantify. It is also the case that different people will probably want to protest for different reasons. Perhaps a general objection petition of some nature could be started? Meantime, I am making my own enquiries.

People need to appreciate that Ron Mackenzie stated that all opinions will be considered BUT, ultimately the HIGHLAND COUNCIL will make the decision, based on what THEY consider to be best.

The matter of the next Local Councillor elections was raised at the meeting, with a member of the Public asking if there were elections next year. Ron Mackenzie replied that these elections were due in 2012.

Thanks, that's very useful. So we have an extra £12million on the table in 2013 and elections in 2012. I would hope the progress and definition of this project will have moved into a construction phase by then. I would imagine the school will be High (pardon the pun) on the agenda of elections. A dedicated PTA discussion board that is more transparent in disallowing user names may help focus education issues and co-ordinate policies that parents of high school age children can turn to.

The issue of costs will bite into the final decision so unless the PTA have access to these decision processes this data could be manipulted either way. Roll on the consultation and the healthy discussion.

Venture
02-Jul-10, 16:54
Roll on the consultation and the healthy discussion.

If the article and letter in today's Groat, concerning support staff at Hillhead School, is anything to go by, it would seem that Highland Council have difficulty in understanding what a consultation is.[disgust]

In another article entitled North Notes the author recently attended a public meeting in Inverness as part of a run of consultation exercises which have now come to an end. These were intended to give the public their say in regard to the proposed cuts by HRC. The subject of cutting the number of schools came up. About a quarter of the 183 primary schools in Highland are less than half-full. During the discussion Wick, with four primary schools, was mentioned. It seems that a plan to amalgamate them down to two may well be in the offing. Interesting to note that this is being discussed in a meeting in Inverness. When was this discussed in Wick and by who? Are the people it will affect most not allowed to be consulted?

I also read this week about the Corner Shop closing and today's Groat mentions the final closure of MacDonald's Bakery Shop on the main street. Take these and the other vacant shops, the possible, swimming pool, library and assembly rooms, (and if all services will be under one roof once the new council offices are built), Rhind House and the Social Work Dept., then add them to a possible two primary schools and eventually the High School. It's looking like there will be more buildings closed than open. I wonder just how many of these will undergo a change of use or even find a buyer?

Tubthumper
02-Jul-10, 18:07
It's looking like there will be more buildings closed than open. I wonder just how many of these will undergo a change of use or even find a buyer?
It looks grim. If (a) we have to save money (b) the facilities are not being 'fully utilised' even if the new library, assembly space and pool aren't integrated at the High School, Wick is still going to end up with empty or underused buildings and wasted money.
I think we need to look at the bigger picture - what needs to be done to make sure Wick isn't a ghost town?
But that's for a different thread.

fender
02-Jul-10, 19:19
If the article and letter in today's Groat, concerning support staff at Hillhead School, is anything to go by, it would seem that Highland Council have difficulty in understanding what a consultation is.[disgust]

In another article entitled North Notes the author recently attended a public meeting in Inverness as part of a run of consultation exercises which have now come to an end. These were intended to give the public their say in regard to the proposed cuts by HRC. The subject of cutting the number of schools came up. About a quarter of the 183 primary schools in Highland are less than half-full. During the discussion Wick, with four primary schools, was mentioned. It seems that a plan to amalgamate them down to two may well be in the offing. Interesting to note that this is being discussed in a meeting in Inverness. When was this discussed in Wick and by who? Are the people it will affect most not allowed to be consulted?

I also read this week about the Corner Shop closing and today's Groat mentions the final closure of MacDonald's Bakery Shop on the main street. Take these and the other vacant shops, the possible, swimming pool, library and assembly rooms, (and if all services will be under one roof once the new council offices are built), Rhind House and the Social Work Dept., then add them to a possible two primary schools and eventually the High School. It's looking like there will be more buildings closed than open. I wonder just how many of these will undergo a change of use or even find a buyer?

And what exactly makes you believe they will not be consulted?

Venture
02-Jul-10, 19:39
And what exactly makes you believe they will not be consulted?

Take a guess?[lol]

WICKER10
02-Jul-10, 20:04
With the cuts the Highland Council are going to have to make some of the Primary schools in Caithness will close and going by the way the council work it will be by the secret method worked out in Council HQ Inverness.
It has been said by one counciller that maybe Thrumster as it would be cheaper to bus them to Wick or Bower bus them to Castletown.
I have also heard the Hillhead is to close and the kids will go to the North it is half empty and Hillhead needs repairs to the roof.

Tubthumper
02-Jul-10, 20:49
I don't really see what benefit there is to having anything other than a Council decision. Every local community if given the chance, will vote to keep its school. Every local area can come up with historical and social reasons to keep the status quo.

So we keep all the schools to keep all the people happy. But then we have no money to fix the roads, and we have to get rid of fire engines and scaffy-carts.

We need to keep a sense of proportion. We can't have it all, so in a shrinking town, with four primary schools all of which have spare capacity, is a half-empty school with a nackered roof more worthwhile investing in than providing meals on wheels for an owld mannie?

Why not become a councillor, so you can help decide?

Moira
02-Jul-10, 22:06
With the cuts the Highland Council are going to have to make some of the Primary schools in Caithness will close <snip>

I don't really see what benefit there is to having anything other than a Council decision. Every local community if given the chance, will vote to keep its school. <snip>

The last time I looked this thread was about HC's idea to build the new Wick High School on Bignold Park. You can always start another thread about the Primary Schools' survival. From memory, they all have the capacity to extend.

Tubthumper
03-Jul-10, 11:50
...Every local community if given the chance, will vote to keep its school. <snip>

Aye, 'snip' right enough! Are we not allowed any form of wandering round the side issues on this thread then?:confused

Moira
03-Jul-10, 19:29
Tubthumper, my thought was that the situation facing the Primary Schools is important enough to warrant a separate thread. That's all. I don't see it as a side issue, just a separate one.

Tubthumper
03-Jul-10, 20:49
Tubthumper, my thought was that the situation facing the Primary Schools is important enough to warrant a separate thread. That's all. I don't see it as a side issue, just a separate one.
Sorry Moira, I'm a bit sensitive just now! You're right, no distractions needed for the high School, separate thread would be more appropriate. :D

scorrie
03-Jul-10, 23:22
North School Primary One Music Lesson:-

"Old MacDonald had a farm e- i-e-i-o and on that farm he built a School e-i-e-i-o, with a new pool here, a library there, here a theatre, there a theatre, everywhere a theatre....."

A hand goes up:-

"Excuse me Miss, but yesterday you told us Mr MacDonald didn't own the farm"

DIH
05-Jul-10, 15:57
Just noticed on the sky news website that the government is planning to axe the £5bn Schools Rebuilding Scheme. Does this mean an end to the new high school?

PantsMAN
05-Jul-10, 16:07
Schools in England and Wales - headline below from BBC.CO.UK
"The government is expected to announce substantial cuts to a £55bn plan to rebuild England's schools."

Venture
05-Jul-10, 16:39
Schools in England and Wales - headline below from BBC.CO.UK
"The government is expected to announce substantial cuts to a £55bn plan to rebuild England's schools."

The announcement was made by the government in relation to English schools. The Scottish Government awarded us the money and their budget is totally separate from England.

Sara Jevo
05-Jul-10, 18:03
Here is a paper (http://www.scottish.parliament.uk/business/research/pdf_res_notes/rn00-31.pdf) produced for the Scottish Parliament that explains how the funding allocation works.

Basically, for every £ of expenditure announced by the UK Government, Scotland gets 10p.

If the UK Government maintains spending on NHS, the allocation to Scotland for the NHS is maintained. If the UK Government axes funding for schools by 25 per cent, the amount for schools in Scotland is cut by 25 per cent.

However, the Scottish Government can re-allocate any of the money it receives to spend on different services.

The Scottish Government has deferred its share of this year's UK cuts, meaning the pain from April 2011 will be even greater.

There is a forecast that spending in Scotland from April 2011 will be cut by more than £3 billion.

If no contract has been signed, scrapping projects like a new school in Wick will be high up the list because they are fairly easy to make. But cuts of the scale being talked about will go beyond dumping new-build projects; it'll probably mean the merger of lots of existing schools.

Sara Jevo
05-Jul-10, 18:40
Whilst there maybe some truth in the reports about the block grant from Westminster being cut I would be sceptical of any political reporting in the Scotsman..As a once loyal reader of what was a proud newspaper it saddens me to see it reduced to little more than the mouth piece of the Labour party....the Herald leaves it standing nowadays and even the Telegraph (yes even the Telegraph) gives a more balanced view of Scotlands news
Its no surprise its circulation has imploded and share price fallen severely
PM

I edited the post that referred to the Scotsman, Peter, after coming across the briefing paper about the Barnett Formula.

peter macdonald
05-Jul-10, 18:48
No problem Sara ....Thought I was going nuts :-))))))

sweetpea
05-Jul-10, 19:47
To go back to the original post about the Bignold Park itself, after all the threads and people saying it's never used that makes me mad because it is used a lot more than people are saying. Right now there is a well attended football match, a man flying a huge kite who has been there loads of times, a bunch of other footballers training in one corner and a group of kids playing at the far end. Being a regular passer by I see this a lot in the park and it's a welcome sight that gives me a feeling of community.

Venture
05-Jul-10, 20:03
If no contract has been signed, scrapping projects like a new school in Wick will be high up the list because they are fairly easy to make. But cuts of the scale being talked about will go beyond dumping new-build projects; it'll probably mean the merger of lots of existing schools.

So where did you get the above information from?

Sara Jevo
05-Jul-10, 20:20
So where did you get the above information from?

It's a view, based on a reasonable assumption that public spending in Scotland will reduce by a similar proportion to that across the UK.

Projects that are not yet committed will be among the easier targets when it comes to putting a red pen through the spending plans. That is what the UK Government has started doing - axing a whole series of spending plans that weren't yet committed - and continued today by pulling the plug on school building.

It isn't that the piggy bank is empty - it's full of IOUs! The new Government wants to repay them a lot quicker than the old one. That means pain, even savage pain. Reductions of 25-40 per cent in spending are SEVERE. It's forecast 1,000,000 jobs will disappear in local and national government.

The cuts will be unlike anything any of us have experienced. Efficiencies of 2-3 per cent a year are a drop in the ocean when compared to cuts of 25-40 per cent.

Of course, the Scottish Government may decide to protect spending on schools, in which case it will then need to slash even more from other areas like transport, or remove the protection from the NHS budget.

We won't know for sure what it all means until October 20 when the UK Government announces the detail of where the axe will fall.

After that, the parties standing for election to the Scottish Parliament next May will have to digest what it means for Scotland and how they will manage the country on an awful lot less money than they have been used to in the past.

The Scottish Government is trying its hardest not to wield the axe before the elections next May, for obvious reasons. After that, whoever is in charge will have to wield it even more sharply to make up for the cuts that did not happen in Scotland this year.

glaikit
05-Jul-10, 20:25
Well, I suppose that'll stop all the fighting about where it's going to be built cos it won't be built anywhere.

Every cloud and all that.:(

Tubthumper
05-Jul-10, 20:34
Well, I suppose that'll stop all the fighting about where it's going to be built cos it won't be built anywhere. Every cloud and all that.:(
Don't give up, for God's sake!!!!!:eek:

glaikit
05-Jul-10, 21:11

Don't worry Tubs, slight drop in the energy level there but I and I would imagine everyone else, will live to ficht another day[lol]

Venture
05-Jul-10, 21:12
It's a view, based on a reasonable assumption that public spending in Scotland will reduce by a similar proportion to that across the UK.

Projects that are not yet committed will be among the easier targets when it comes to putting a red pen through the spending plans. That is what the UK Government has started doing - axing a whole series of spending plans that weren't yet committed - and continued today by pulling the plug on school building.

It isn't that the piggy bank is empty - it's full of IOUs! The new Government wants to repay them a lot quicker than the old one. That means pain, even savage pain. Reductions of 25-40 per cent in spending are SEVERE. It's forecast 1,000,000 jobs will disappear in local and national government.

The cuts will be unlike anything any of us have experienced. Efficiencies of 2-3 per cent a year are a drop in the ocean when compared to cuts of 25-40 per cent.

Of course, the Scottish Government may decide to protect spending on schools, in which case it will then need to slash even more from other areas like transport, or remove the protection from the NHS budget.

We won't know for sure what it all means until October 20 when the UK Government announces the detail of where the axe will fall.

After that, the parties standing for election to the Scottish Parliament next May will have to digest what it means for Scotland and how they will manage the country on an awful lot less money than they have been used to in the past.

The Scottish Government is trying its hardest not to wield the axe before the elections next May, for obvious reasons. After that, whoever is in charge will have to wield it even more sharply to make up for the cuts that did not happen in Scotland this year.

We all know about the cuts and what's ahead. As far as I'm concerned Wick will be getting a new High School. I'll believe in that until some Scottish Government official comes along and tells me otherwise.;)

Venture
05-Jul-10, 21:16

Oh there's quite a few would like to see some giving up the fight. No chance of that happening Tubs, so don't worry.[lol]

scorrie
05-Jul-10, 23:35
Don't worry Tubs, slight drop in the energy level there but I and I would imagine everyone else, will live to ficht another day[lol]

May the force be with you:-

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i237/scorrie57/cat-vs-dog-with-lightsabers.jpg

scorrie
05-Jul-10, 23:37
Oh there's quite a few would like to see some giving up the fight. No chance of that happening Tubs, so don't worry.[lol]

Re-enforcements are on the way:-

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i237/scorrie57/6a00d8341c56de53ef00e54f3eaa888834-.jpg

sweetpea
05-Jul-10, 23:41
Re-enforcements are on the way:-

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i237/scorrie57/6a00d8341c56de53ef00e54f3eaa888834-.jpg

Had to laugh. Is that doggie on the Bignold Park?[lol]

PantsMAN
06-Jul-10, 08:37
At last - a photo of the culprit that leaves all the dog-poo for the footballers to clean up!

glaikit
06-Jul-10, 08:39
Had to laugh. Is that doggie on the Bignold Park?[lol]

Not for much longer if the 'dark side' have their way :~(
He'll be getting his wings clipped [lol]

Venture
06-Jul-10, 10:15
Ah Scorrie so now we know what all the military air activity over Wick was for yesterday? [lol]

PantsMAN
06-Jul-10, 14:24
As long as this doesn't end in a dog-fight...

glaikit
08-Jul-10, 09:22
More likely be JCB's at dawn :eek:

ducati
08-Jul-10, 12:59
At last - a photo of the culprit that leaves all the dog-poo for the footballers to clean up!

Fer gods sake don't look up! :eek:

glaikit
09-Jul-10, 19:09
Where's all this dog muck coming from?:confused I thought noone used the Bignold for recreational purposes? Is it the Caithness equivalent of crop circles, appearing mysteriously overnight:eek:

katarina
10-Jul-10, 20:27
Where's all this dog muck coming from?:confused I thought noone used the Bignold for recreational purposes? Is it the Caithness equivalent of crop circles, appearing mysteriously overnight:eek:

Well I do. I walk my dog there, throw him a ball, and meet many others doing the same. AND I know I do clean up any poo that may be left there. Of course that's only when there are not numerous footie matches going on, either organised or just kids getting together to have their own. Where will those kids go? And we complain that there's not enough for kids to do anyway - they'll have even less to do without their park.

Venture
14-Jul-10, 17:32
http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/news/fullstory.php/aid/8383/Heritage_body_slams_Bignold_Park_option.html

It states in today's Caithness Courier that ground tests are being undertaken at both sites even though the council are still not sure whether they CAN build a school on the Bignold Park. A bit ahead of themselves I'd say considering we haven't even had a public consultation yet.:roll:

Andy
14-Jul-10, 19:02
I don't live in Wick so this is totaly a 3 person point of view. If you don't have a new school your future children will suffer as they will be competing with children all over Scotland for University places, and I read all the newspaper reports about how dilapidated and poor the present school fabric is. I think that if you travel outside of Wick in any direction, in 5 minutes you are surrounded by fields, surely the future of your children is more important than fields no matter how beautiful, especially, when there are so many. But the choice is yours!! Is that site not owned by Highland Council?? Is that's why it was chosen.

brokencross
14-Jul-10, 20:16
I have come out of self imposed exile to make this post.

Haven't read every single post in detail so I may be out of order and this may have already been mentioned.

A while ago now, as a school governor I was once at a schools fitness/healthy eating sports event in Newcastle.

I happened to be speaking to a chap rather high up in the National Playing Fields Association and for some reason we got round to talking about Wick and Bignold Park. (At that time there was talk of some sort of development on Bignold Park). I mentioned this to this chap said he knew Bignold Park well and that if he had anything to do with it, there would certainly not be any developments/projects removing playing fileds from the public use.

So the final say so may be down to the National Playing Fields Association (NPFA) which may now be called FIT (Fields In Trust) http://www.fieldsintrust.org/

Hope this helps, one way or the other!!?

Oh well, Back to my self imposed exile

dozy
14-Jul-10, 20:27
As stated ,put the new school opposite the old Caithness glass factory and Roberts Street with a path joining the riverside walkway .Its the best place by far ,close to the town center and bus routes etc ...Must be alot better than Bignold Park ..

Venture
14-Jul-10, 20:41
I have come out of self imposed exile to make this post.

Haven't read every single post in detail so I may be out of order and this may have already been mentioned.

A while ago now, as a school governor I was once at a schools fitness/healthy eating sports event in Newcastle.

I happened to be speaking to a chap rather high up in the National Playing Fields Association and for some reason we got round to talking about Wick and Bignold Park. (At that time there was talk of some sort of development on Bignold Park). I mentioned this to this chap said he knew Bignold Park well and that if he had anything to do with it, there would certainly not be any developments/projects removing playing fileds from the public use.

So the final say so may be down to the National Playing Fields Association (NPFA) which may now be called FIT (Fields In Trust) http://www.fieldsintrust.org/

Hope this helps, one way or the other!!?

Oh well, Back to my self imposed exile

Some very useful information there brokencross. Many thanks.;)

katarina
14-Jul-10, 21:12
As stated ,put the new school opposite the old Caithness glass factory and Roberts Street with a path joining the riverside walkway .Its the best place by far ,close to the town center and bus routes etc ...Must be alot better than Bignold Park ..

they are not going to buy land when they can get it for nothing

glaikit
15-Jul-10, 19:40
Can someone clarify the position regarding the Bignold Park? I thought it was gifted to the towns people for recreational use and that this was a condition of the donation. If it is no longer to be used for recreational purposes, the land reverts back to the original donator and HRC will have to buy it off them, if they're prepared to sell? I would imagine that the same would apply to the library building.

scorrie
15-Jul-10, 23:32
Can someone clarify the position regarding the Bignold Park? I thought it was gifted to the towns people for recreational use and that this was a condition of the donation. If it is no longer to be used for recreational purposes, the land reverts back to the original donator and HRC will have to buy it off them, if they're prepared to sell? I would imagine that the same would apply to the library building.

The Highland Council can apply for a Compulsory Purchase Order if they don't already own the land. I have spoken to a Planning Agency regarding this, and was told that there was nothing obvious to prevent this from happening. People CAN object, but the ultimate decision will rest with one of the Scottish Ministers. Information on Compulsory Purchase orders in Scotland can be found here:-

http://scotland.shelter.org.uk/getadvice/advice_topics/repairs_and_bad_conditions/compulsory_purchase_orders_cpos/about_compulsory_purchase_orders

The consultation process will follow and all objections will be noted, but The Highland Council will make the decision based on what THEY think best.

I see very little activity taking place regarding plans from objectors to get their heads together and get something moving sooner rather than later.

lynne duncan
16-Jul-10, 16:43
http://www.qe2fields.com
wonder if someone would fill an application in to request that the bignold park is considered as on of the qe2 fields

Venture
16-Jul-10, 16:58
We've already looked at that Lynne but the application has to come from the owner of the park. Something that seems to be in dispute at the moment.;)

fender
16-Jul-10, 17:51
No Dispute. Highland Council. Face the facts F.C.S.

fender
16-Jul-10, 17:56
Who exactly has been looking after the Bignold for the last number of years. I'll give you a clue NOT the people of Wick but the Wick Town Council, Caithness DC, Highland Regional Council and now Highand Council. Can't you get this into your head.

What if the Council decide to leave the park to the People of Wick. Will the WHSPC cut the grass. I don't think so and the park will become a wilderness.

glaikit
16-Jul-10, 20:59
Isn't that part of the reason we pay our council tax? The maintenance of public recreational grounds? Isn't that part of a civilised society: having public spaces to use? What about folk with little money to spend on recreational pursuits, or those who don't have cars?
I would have thought every town would like to have a park like the Bignold. It's not too much to ask is it? Or maybe it is :~(
Let's just stick buildings on every green space and board up the old ones to lie and rot. There's plenty of boarded up buildings in Wick already. A few more derelict ones won't make any difference.

Thanks for the info Scorrie. Maybe we should get our act together sooner rather than later.

Venture
16-Jul-10, 23:42
The consultation process will follow and all objections will be noted, but The Highland Council will make the decision based on what THEY think best.

I see very little activity taking place regarding plans from objectors to get their heads together and get something moving sooner rather than later.

Don't be disheartened re the Bignold scorrie there are many people behind the scenes preparing for the public consultation. HRC may well be in for a big surprise.;)

No Dispute. Highland Council. Face the facts F.C.S.

Perhaps you could explain what F.C.S. stands for.

Who exactly has been looking after the Bignold for the last number of years. I'll give you a clue NOT the people of Wick but the Wick Town Council, Caithness DC, Highland Regional Council and now Highand Council. Can't you get this into your head.

What if the Council decide to leave the park to the People of Wick. Will the WHSPC cut the grass. I don't think so and the park will become a wilderness.

HRC are doing no more than any other local authority, but that dosen't give them the right to build a school there. Judging by the way you react to anything posted by a member of WHSPC it is becoming all too obvious that you either work for HRC or are related in some way to a local member who supports building on the Bignold. There are many people besides WHSPC members who object to this happening. Perhaps you should come along to the public meeting and criticise them too. No, on second thoughts you prefer shouting your mouth off from behind a keyboard. Big of you indeed.:roll:

Isn't that part of the reason we pay our council tax? The maintenance of public recreational grounds? Isn't that part of a civilised society: having public spaces to use? What about folk with little money to spend on recreational pursuits, or those who don't have cars?
I would have thought every town would like to have a park like the Bignold. It's not too much to ask is it? Or maybe it is :~(
Let's just stick buildings on every green space and board up the old ones to lie and rot. There's plenty of boarded up buildings in Wick already. A few more derelict ones won't make any difference.

Thanks for the info Scorrie. Maybe we should get our act together sooner rather than later.

Well said glaikit.

flowertot
17-Jul-10, 08:27
I wouldn't worry too much about Bignold Park getting dug up. The chances are when these austerity cuts bite there will be no school built in the near future anyway!

Venture
17-Jul-10, 13:36
I wouldn't worry too much about Bignold Park getting dug up. The chances are when these austerity cuts bite there will be no school built in the near future anyway!

What a positively encouraging post there flowertot. :roll: What's the point in harping on about what "might" happen? If it does then we shall just have to deal with it. In the meantime let's just remain positive about the future and a new high school for Wick.:)

Sara Jevo
17-Jul-10, 15:08
What a positively encouraging post there flowertot. :roll: What's the point in harping on about what "might" happen? If it does then we shall just have to deal with it. In the meantime let's just remain positive about the future and a new high school for Wick.:)

I think flowertot is just trying to be realistic.

Cuts of up to 40 per cent will mean a severe reduction in existing services, never mind any new facilities that might be planned.

Dont forget too, that Scotland took a "rain check" on its share of the pain this year, so it'll be twice as bad next year.

katarina
22-Jul-10, 16:56
I don't live in Wick so this is totaly a 3 person point of view. If you don't have a new school your future children will suffer as they will be competing with children all over Scotland for University places, and I read all the newspaper reports about how dilapidated and poor the present school fabric is. I think that if you travel outside of Wick in any direction, in 5 minutes you are surrounded by fields, surely the future of your children is more important than fields no matter how beautiful, especially, when there are so many. But the choice is yours!! Is that site not owned by Highland Council?? Is that's why it was chosen.

And why is a new building on the BP going to make the level of education better?????? Of course we want a new school given that the old one has been allowed to fall into such a state of disrepair - but at the end of the day, it's the level of teaching that will help our kids compete for university places, not where the school is!!!!!!