PDA

View Full Version : Racing pigeons

Kenn
10-Jun-10, 20:03
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i316/kenliz/Miscellaneous/2010_0123Sandsidewood0004-1.jpg

Have had this lurking around for the last two days, does any one keep them up here or is it truly confused?

nirofo
10-Jun-10, 21:56
Hi LIZZ

Once a racing pigeon gets lost it's unlikely it's owner will want to keep it, that's if if he ever gets it back, cruel I know, but many of them just wring their necks, (the pigeons that is). Your bird will probably find a bunch of the local "Rock Pigeons" to hang out with, that is if it survives that long! There's several Sparrowhawks and Peregrines in the area, always on the look out for an easy meal now that they all have young to feed in the nest. That's the problem with releasing a domesticated bird into the wild, they don't have the inbuilt survival skills of birds born into the wild, they spend the biggest part of their lives caged up in a pigeon loft so don't stand a chance when their owner releases them to have a fly about or enters them for a race. When marauding super predators like Peregrines or Goshawks spy them from on high, they don't care that they've just been released from a cage, all they see is dinner presented to them on a plate.

nirofo.

Kenn
10-Jun-10, 22:49
Thank you nirofo, have experienced racing pigeons coming down in great numbers when a violent storm struck when they had been released on the continent hence I was wondering if any one else has spotted any.
I know it stands little chance in the wild.
Beginning to think there is a sign up there some where saying ,all members of the dove family please note this address!

graeme
14-Jul-10, 18:10
Hi can you tell me where you stay? i keep pigeons myself and i think i know who's it is
thanks

Kenn
14-Jul-10, 18:32
Was a month ago and not seen it for a whole so hopefully if found it's way home.