PDA

View Full Version : Pet hate!!

nightowl
18-Jun-06, 16:12
I was again reminded of one of my pet hates yesterday, when I bought a delicious spit roast chicken from Harralds the butcher.
The elastic thread the chickens all come trussed in. No matter how careful I am at cutting and trying to remove it, there is a splat and I get a faceful of chicken "stuff". There appears no uniform method of "trussing" so even if you master the Co-op method, you find the elastic wound round in a different way when you buy a Tesco or Sommerfield one. Is this problem peculiar only to me or are there others out there with a similar dilemma - where to cut and pull??
Having said that at least the chicken yesterday was cooked and it tasted yummy, but I did have to change my top after tea!!

orkneylass
18-Jun-06, 16:26
I know exactly what you mean!

dpw39
18-Jun-06, 16:35
Use a fork to hold the elastic band in place then snip it with your scissors and hopefully with the pressure of the fork, the band will remain under the fork...

Ciao,

Dave the Rave:cool:

nightowl
18-Jun-06, 16:45
[quote=dpw39]Use a fork to hold the elastic band in place then snip it with your scissors and hopefully with the pressure of the fork, the band will remain under the fork...

Thanks Dave, I'll give that one a go next time.

Chillie
18-Jun-06, 17:32
Take it off before you cook it, thats what I do, for goodness sake take pitty on the poor old bird, is it not bad enough that you have had your head cut off then your featers plucked out without gettting tied up before getting a megga quick roasting at 300c or gas mark4.[lol]

connieb19
18-Jun-06, 17:33
Take it off before you cook it, thats what I do, for goodness sake take pitty on the poor old bird, is it not bad enough that you have had your head cut off then your featers plucked out without gettting tied up before getting a megga quick roasting at 300c or gas mark4.[lol]it was a cooked chicken from the butchers..:confused

nightowl
18-Jun-06, 17:56
Take it off before you cook it, thats what I do, for goodness sake take pitty on the poor old bird, is it not bad enough that you have had your head cut off then your featers plucked out without gettting tied up before getting a megga quick roasting at 300c or gas mark4.[lol]

Chillie, that's when I get splatted with raw chicken. I reckon I must have built up an immunity to salmonella, I've been splatted so often!!

mccaugm
18-Jun-06, 21:36
I am vegetarian...problem never existed...;)

Elenna
18-Jun-06, 23:36
I have the same problem, nightowl...and if it isn't with the elastic band on the chicken, its that elastic net thing around the roasts. They are impossible!