PDA

View Full Version : Forse by Lybster, a question.

Kenn
01-Jun-10, 22:19
Was recently taken a walk down over the cliffs from Forse to the bay below.Can any one tell me what the large building was that stands just above the high water mark near the burn?
I would suspect that it was some thing to do with the fishing industry but wondered how the catches could be brought ashore in such a rocky cove.
Have searched this site but not found any information.

fred
01-Jun-10, 22:34
Was recently taken a walk down over the cliffs from Forse to the bay below.Can any one tell me what the large building was that stands just above the high water mark near the burn?
I would suspect that it was some thing to do with the fishing industry but wondered how the catches could be brought ashore in such a rocky cove.
Have searched this site but not found any information.

That doesn't sound like Forse you were at, only building there is an old fisherman's cottage.

You will have been at Achastle, there are the remains of an old herrin processing plant there. The cove wasn't so rocky then they cleared it but over the years storms have filled it again. They didn't keep many boats there, they came in and dropped off the herrin then left for a safer harbour. The processed herrin could be taken by pack horse up a path to the road or taken out by boat.

ducati
01-Jun-10, 22:57
Last time I walked over a cliff to the bay below I spent 3 weeks in Traction [lol]

Kenn
01-Jun-10, 23:07
Many thanks Fred for the information, any idea when it would have become disused?

fred
01-Jun-10, 23:23
Many thanks Fred for the information, any idea when it would have become disused?

I don't know but it would probably have been around the 1850s when the railway reached Aberdeen. Fish could be shipped south fresh after that.

Kenn
03-Jun-10, 10:30
My thanks for all the information recieved here and by pm, much appreciated.