PDA

View Full Version : Can Ch4's "Countdown" be educational?

brokencross
14-Jun-06, 08:04
I am rather embarrassed to be making this post.

I am 52 years old and yesterday a simple gameshow opened my eyes and showed my ignorance of our wonderful language.

Since I was wee boy, right through my teenage years and into my middle aged dotage I have heard and sung along to the song containing the words "Roaming in the Gloaming"..............I have to confess I always thought gloaming was a place. I am good at geography so I should know!!

Countdown's Des Lynam tells me otherwise, apparently it means "dusk or twilight".

I will have to start reading the dictionary again, I stopped when i was 12 'cos it wasn't a good read, it kept changing the subject.

mccaugm
14-Jun-06, 13:06
I love Countdown and yes it is educational. When they are around I get my elder children to try and get words. They have to be 5 or more letters. I always get excited if I beat the players. What a buzz when you get an 8 or 9 letter word....sad I know. On the subject...Deal or No Deal....not educational at all but highly addictive.:roll:

Niall Fernie
14-Jun-06, 16:06
not educational at all but highly addictive.
Unless you look into the maths behind it and the strategy for getting the best deal...

A good introduction to the subject:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deal_or_No_Deal#Optimal_Strategy_--_When_to_Deal

Very addictive indeed. Someone should come up with a crossover game, a sort of "deal or no countdown" :)

Cedric Farthsbottom III
14-Jun-06, 23:32
I am rather embarrassed to be making this post.

I am 52 years old and yesterday a simple gameshow opened my eyes and showed my ignorance of our wonderful language.

Since I was wee boy, right through my teenage years and into my middle aged dotage I have heard and sung along to the song containing the words "Roaming in the Gloaming"..............I have to confess I always thought gloaming was a place. I am good at geography so I should know!!

Countdown's Des Lynam tells me otherwise, apparently it means "dusk or twilight".

I will have to start reading the dictionary again, I stopped when i was 12 'cos it wasn't a good read, it kept changing the subject.

I always thought the Gloamin' meant mountains....ye learn somethin' new everyday!!!!!:lol: