PDA

View Full Version : To late to plant Willow????

JNMWick
19-May-10, 13:59
Would it be to late to plant willow cuttings?

I have been told December to April is the best planting time. would I get away with it this weekend if I could get a hold of some cuttings??

If it would still be ok, anyone know where I could get the cuttings!! :)

Thanks to all!

Scunner
19-May-10, 15:33
always try - some will strike some will not - nothing ventured nothing gained - good luck

porshiepoo
19-May-10, 17:06
You can get the cuttings from your nearest Willow tree. You just pull off young side branches (making sure to keep a heel) then stick em in a huge bucket of water till they root. Then you should be OK to plant them at the end of the year.
You could try now but I think you'll have more misses than hits. However keep them thoroughly watered and you never know your luck. If you're planting straight out try to get cuttings that aren't too developed with leaf just yet - may help.

Good luck.

JNMWick
17-Jun-10, 14:43
Just to let everyone know I planted out 65 willow cuttings about 2 weeks ago. Bought them off ebay from somewhere down south. £25 delivered which I though was a bargain.

Left them in a pot of water for a week or so and they started sprouting roots then planted them out into very large pots. There are now 63 out of the 65 that haven taken and are coming on very well.

I'll leave them in pots until the next planting season by which time the area they are for will hopefully be ready for them. Hopefully by then they'll be a decent size and should come on quite well once planted out.

So planting out willow cuttings mid June was a great success! : )