PDA

View Full Version : DVLA medical examination

jamie123
16-May-10, 22:06
Has any one been for a examination after a drink driving ban because I have one coming up and was wondering what is involved in it apart from the £96 they are scamming out of me

All help would be great

Cheers

im behind you
16-May-10, 22:14
i got 6 points and baned for another 6 months.

Anfield
16-May-10, 22:20
Have a look at:

http://www.drinkdriving.org/drink_driving_information_DVLA_medical.php

jamie123
16-May-10, 22:51
Cheers for that checked the site and i should stop drinking tonight the medical is in two weeks
cheers jamie

Anfield
16-May-10, 22:59
Good luck Jamie. I hope you learnt your lesson, I did ( a long time ago)
I was living in Liverpool but had a business in Millom in Cumbria togther with a dog.
Commuting on a weekly basis with two large suitcases, and a full grown rough collie was not to recommended, believe me.

telfordstar
16-May-10, 23:01
Gota say for being so dumb to drink drive in the first place pay the £96 and dry your eyes!!!

northener
16-May-10, 23:09
When you say 'examination' for what 'they' are 'scamming' out of you...

..are you referring to the money you are having to pay for being re-asessed for not having the intelligence to stay sober before driving?

Or have they asked you to take medical examination?

Let us know and you might get a sensible answer...

jamie123
16-May-10, 23:18
I made one stupid mistake and its been nearly 3 years so dont need to be told to stop drinking

northener
16-May-10, 23:20
I made one stupid mistake and its been nearly 3 years so dont need to be told to stop drinking

But you think you're being 'scammed';)

jamie123
16-May-10, 23:25
Cheers for the info Anfield think there's alot of people out there that has done nothing wrong in there lives

sweetpea
16-May-10, 23:29
Why do you need a medical? Are you unhealthy in some way or something.
Most of the time when the ban is nearly up you just apply for your license again.

jamie123
16-May-10, 23:30
no I've got a full medical to do

sweetpea
16-May-10, 23:38
no I've got a full medical to do

Who told you that? Did you get a letter?

jamie123
16-May-10, 23:43
I got a letter saying I need to have urine + blood tests and full examination in wick and i live in scrabster

northener
17-May-10, 00:02
Cheers for the info Anfield think there's alot of people out there that has done nothing wrong in there lives

Oh dear.

Actually I was going to give you a few pointers on this subject, that's why I asked you whether it was the medical examination or the driving examination.

I'm taking the rip because you appear to be of the opinion that you are being 'scammed' by the DVLA for being caught driving whilst pished and having to pay to get your licence back...not exactly sounding like you've learnt your lesson, are you?[smirk]

sweetpea
17-May-10, 00:10
If they want a sample surely they must think your a raving .....
I'd have thought that when you get license back it goes on sort of trust unless your a repeat offender?

joxville
17-May-10, 00:44
Has any one been for a examination after a drink driving ban because I have one coming up and was wondering what is involved in it apart from the £96 they are scamming out of me

All help would be great

Cheers

I think three years should have been long enough for you to consider the implications of your actions, and you would have been best appear contrite when starting this thread instead of feeling sorry for yourself. We've been told for years not to drink and drive, of the dangers to drivers and others, as well as the finacial implications. Personally, I've always believed a drink driver should be banned for life, and that belief has been reinforced since a friend was killed last year by drink driver.

So just you go ahead, pass the medical and get your licence back, but think twice in future before you lift those car keys after drinking.

Andfield
17-May-10, 08:07
had a business in Millom in Cumbria togther with a dog.

You were in business with a dog ??? [lol][lol]

porshiepoo
17-May-10, 09:40
Have to agree that I think drink driving should be an automatic lifetime ban.

I understand that we all make mistakes but there's so much awareness nowadays of the dangers of drink driving that if you're prepared to take that risk then you have to be prepared to lose your license, pay whatever expenses you have to in the process of getting it back and accept the inconvenience of having tests etc.
Personally I think you got off light, there is absolutely no excuse for drinking alcohol and then getting behind the wheel of a car.

Hopefully you have learnt from your experience and the law is certainly giving you the benefit of the doubt if it reinstates your license but I have to agree, your attitude on this thread is more one of someone who feels they are being had over by the law and DVLA, than someone who is genuinely sorry for their actions.

NickInTheNorth
17-May-10, 09:50
Cheers for that checked the site and i should stop drinking tonight the medical is in two weeks
cheers jamie

Given the criteria for those who are required to take a medical before getting their licence back and making assumptions from you stating that you'll need to stop drinking because your medical is in 2 weeks I think you will likely not pass your medical.

My assumption is that you have been drinking relatively heavily and now will try to get "clean" to pass the test.

Bad news, the traces usually take well over a month to clear from your system.

Given that it sounds as though you do have issues regarding alcohol misuse then I truly hope for your sake and all other road users that you do not get your licence back.

BIG BLUE
17-May-10, 10:02
quite a few years ago now i had a d/d ban and to tell you all the truth it probably saved my life as my drinking was killing me and i wouldnt be here now if i didnt get banned but i now live a sober and great life with my wife and kids, i agree penalties should be harsher for drink drivers but come on we have peodophiles child abusers and murders living in each of our communities, like me the guy made a mistake and hopefully like me will never drive drunk again, before slating the guy ask yourselves first if you have made NO mistakes in your life, i wonder how many of the slaters can say ME?

northener
17-May-10, 10:59
quite a few years ago now i had a d/d ban and to tell you all the truth it probably saved my life as my drinking was killing me and i wouldnt be here now if i didnt get banned but i now live a sober and great life with my wife and kids, i agree penalties should be harsher for drink drivers but come on we have peodophiles child abusers and murders living in each of our communities, like me the guy made a mistake and hopefully like me will never drive drunk again, before slating the guy ask yourselves first if you have made NO mistakes in your life, i wonder how many of the slaters can say ME?

I'll hold my hand up BigBlue.

Got done for DD back in the 80's after throwing my motorbike down the road. Learnt my lesson the hard way.

But I don't think that staying off the booze for a couple of weeks to 'get my licence back' and referring to the costs involved as the DVLA 'scamming' shows a responsible attitude, does it?

DVLA medicals aren't normally required for DD first time offenders, so our chum must have serious issues with alcohol. And his attitude is that he's going to stop drinking for a couple of weeks......

Use the buses pal, or change you attitude.

im behind you
17-May-10, 17:07
was there any need for him to advertise it on here that he was caught drink driving. NO. he could easily just asked what was required in a full medical and that would of been the end of it.

Anfield
17-May-10, 17:16
was there any need for him to advertise it on here that he was caught drink driving. NO. he could easily just asked what was required in a full medical and that would of been the end of it.

If OP had not mentioned what the reason for the medical was for how would one have been able to give an informed answer?

There are a number of different reasons why the DVLA require drivers to undertake a medical examination (Diabetes, Heart problems to name just two)

series2A
17-May-10, 17:34
Have to agree that I think drink driving should be an automatic lifetime ban.

I understand that we all make mistakes but there's so much awareness nowadays of the dangers of drink driving that if you're prepared to take that risk then you have to be prepared to lose your license, pay whatever expenses you have to in the process of getting it back and accept the inconvenience of having tests etc.
Personally I think you got off light, there is absolutely no excuse for drinking alcohol and then getting behind the wheel of a car.

Hopefully you have learnt from your experience and the law is certainly giving you the benefit of the doubt if it reinstates your license but I have to agree, your attitude on this thread is more one of someone who feels they are being had over by the law and DVLA, than someone who is genuinely sorry for their actions.

I think a life time ban for a first offender is a bit much, we all make a mistake and should be allowed to prove we have learnt from being caught, and I'm not speaking from experience
Those who continually drink and drive, drive without a licence need to be dealt with more severely. But to make a lifetime ban wont work as you dont need a licence to drive a vehicle, you just want one to drive legally.

EDDIE
17-May-10, 17:54
Just make sure jamie you havent had any whacky backy in the last couple of months that will show up if they do a urine test?

scorrie
17-May-10, 17:57
I think the relevant points from the link Anfield provided are as follows:-

"In June 1990 the high risk offender scheme was extended to cover the following drivers:

* Those drivers who were convicted twice (or more) in a period of ten years

* Those drivers who were convicted of failing (without reasonable cause) to provide a blood, breath or urine specimen for analysis

* Those drivers who were convicted of having a proportion of alcohol in the body, two and a half times or more, times the prescribed legal BAC limit in the UK. Equal to or exceeding: 87.5 microgrammes per 100 millilitres of breath or 200 milligrammes per 100 millilitres of blood or 267.5 milligrammes per 100 millilitres of urine"

------------------------------------------------------------------------

And

"DVLA Medical Examination Results

If there is evidence of persistent alcohol misuse within the past 6 months or alcohol dependency within the past 12 months or there is evidence of current ongoing alcohol misuse or dependency then a high risk offenders application for a driving licence will be refused."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I assume that the tests can determine alcohol intake going back over several months, so I doubt that a couple of weeks on the wagon will clear the system out if consumption has been heavy prior to this.

I would be grateful to be getting the license back at all, rather than thinking I was being scammed.

For the sake of other road users and pedestrians, it is only right that precautions are taken, particularly when government figures (Daily Telegraph 30th Nov 2009) show that almost 1 in 4 drunk drivers has been banned at least once before.

My own view is that a life ban for the first offence would have a major impact on reducing drink driving. Plenty of innocent people have lost their lives to someone's "mistake" and a second offence should definitely mean a lifetime ban.

scorrie
17-May-10, 18:01
But to make a lifetime ban wont work as you dont need a licence to drive a vehicle, you just want one to drive legally.

If that logic is to apply, then there is no point in having ANY laws at all. If anyone breaks their ban they get sent to jail, if that doesn't deter them they get longer next time. People then choose whether they prefer driving or having their liberty.

jamie123
17-May-10, 20:12
Please remove thanks everyone for the advice, cheers[evil][evil][evil]

series2A
17-May-10, 22:04
Totaly agree with you. how many times have you seen on those police stop programs the police saying when they have stopped a banned driver "oh aye we reconised him as he went passed he's been banned more than once".
I did say that they should be dealt with more severly, I didn't say we should not to have laws.
It's just some don't learn the first, second or even third time, so what's needed.

telfordstar
17-May-10, 22:27
Please remove thanks everyone for the advice, cheers[evil][evil][evil]

Cana take the stick eh!! Well its your own fault for posting such a dumb thread!!!

sam09
18-May-10, 23:44
Drinking and then driving is not a mistake, it is a choice you wrongly make. All drink drivers should be banned for life and I mean LIFE. They choose to drive a loaded weapon and hope to get away without killing or maiming themselves or someone else, or worse in there tiny booze fuddled minds, get caught by the Police. I hope that you do not get your privelage to drive back.

jamie123
21-May-10, 23:39
Please remove

Boozeburglar
21-May-10, 23:42
Jamie, sorry you have had so many judgements levelled at you.

I hope you get your medical and get your license back.

We all deserve a second chance.

I killed a man once. Just to watch him bleed.

Then I drove over the corpse, clean wrong on Highland Park.

But society has given me another chance.

northener
22-May-10, 09:40
Jamie, sorry you have had so many judgements levelled at you.

I hope you get your medical and get your license back.

We all deserve a second chance.

I killed a man once. Just to watch him bleed.

Then I drove over the corpse, clean wrong on Highland Park.

But society has given me another chance.

I agree that everyone should be given a second chance, BB.

But only if that person appears to accept that they are at fault and that a major change in their habits and attitude..our pal believes that laying off the booze for a couple of weeks constitutes a responsible attitude. Couple this with the fact that he is (by his own admission) of the opinion the DVLA is 'scamming' him and I'd say you've got an ideal candidate for only being given a licence to pilot a pair of shoes.

Denial springs to mind in his case.

ducati
22-May-10, 10:36
I wonder how long this will go on before he works out how to close it?

pat
22-May-10, 10:52
hopefully as long as it will take to try to get licence back.

With an apparent attitude like this the doc would surely take the mental state into consideration too and put a question mark at least against return of licence.
Pre-judging but how long if licence is returned before caught again - and worse who will be hurt this time besides the driver?

First time a very long ban, vehicle seized, huge fine - second time drink driving, ban for life, vehicle seized and minimum £5,000 fine.

horseman
22-May-10, 11:13
What a load of old tripe--bet hitler used similiar propaganda to get his step on the ladder. Ye have a magic number-one over or one under-saint or a pariah-my maiden aunt would be pissed as a parrot on a wine gum!!!Me with my intake,i've lived a life an never damaged anyone,done a lot of good in fact,but one point over that limit an I am disgraced!!!Up your left nostril.
Each to your own, you are being lead up the proverbial path,leash round your neck,nose down to the floor, yes sir no sir, carry on, but don't blame anyone else.

scorrie
22-May-10, 22:55
I wonder how long this will go on before he works out how to close it?

Drunk in charge of a mouse? ;)

scorrie
22-May-10, 23:01
What a load of old tripe--bet hitler used similiar propaganda to get his step on the ladder. Ye have a magic number-one over or one under-saint or a pariah-my maiden aunt would be pissed as a parrot on a wine gum!!!Me with my intake,i've lived a life an never damaged anyone,done a lot of good in fact,but one point over that limit an I am disgraced!!!Up your left nostril.
Each to your own, you are being lead up the proverbial path,leash round your neck,nose down to the floor, yes sir no sir, carry on, but don't blame anyone else.

Is this a case of summarising the contents right before a post begins?

Very early use of Godwins Law here as well.

Is this post aimed at anyone in particular?

Can a Parrot fit on a wine gum?

Is your intake under or over at the moment?

Bobinovich
22-May-10, 23:15
Please remove

Just to let you know that threads do not generally get deleted off the Org without good reason. You do however have the option to Close it yourself.

Jeid
23-May-10, 10:01
http://media.southparkstudios.com/media/images/312/312_lynch_mobb2.gif

Give the guy a break. Nobody's perfect. Typical Caithness.org. Take the moral high ground as if you've never ever done anything wrong in your life. If only he was as perfect as you.

Go light your torches and get him!

Leanne
23-May-10, 10:25
Give the guy a break. Nobody's perfect. Typical Caithness.org. Take the moral high ground as if you've never ever done anything wrong in your life. If only he was as perfect as you.

Are you reading the same thread as me. I think people have given advice on how they have learned from their mistakes. This guy however shows no remorse...

telfordstar
23-May-10, 12:56
Are you reading the same thread as me. I think people have given advice on how they have learned from their mistakes. This guy however shows no remorse...

Well well said Leanne the guys a !!!

Lewski
22-Jul-10, 22:51
Congrats on getting your license back! Been long enough but glad you finally got it.

ps. The celebratory drams were ace crack, cheers for the lift home after. Dunno how I'd have got home otherwise, owe you one.

charlie
22-Jul-10, 23:13
YAWN!

Have you nothing else to do with your time - how sad!

DeHaviLand
23-Jul-10, 12:44
Congrats on getting your license back! Been long enough but glad you finally got it.

ps. The celebratory drams were ace crack, cheers for the lift home after. Dunno how I'd have got home otherwise, owe you one.

Please dont feed the troll, especially one so blatantly obvious:roll:

tiger woods
23-Jul-10, 13:53
If Jamie123 cant work out how to close this thread I'd sugest he doesn't posess the intelligence to be trusted with a car.
Ban him from driving for being under the influence and ban him from the org for being a numpty.

DeHaviLand
23-Jul-10, 15:47
If Jamie123 cant work out how to close this thread I'd sugest he doesn't posess the intelligence to be trusted with a car.
Ban him from driving for being under the influence and ban him from the org for being a numpty.

if that was the criteria for banning, you would have to follow him.:lol:

tiger woods
23-Jul-10, 15:58
if that was the criteria for banning, you would have to follow him.:lol:
Walked into that one, didn't I?

George Brims
23-Jul-10, 17:47
Please dont feed the troll, especially one so blatantly obvious:roll:
I don't think that was trolling. I think it was satire. Don't see much of that on here (unless Tiger is actually just too subtle for us).

tiger woods
23-Jul-10, 19:04
I don't think that was trolling. I think it was satire. Don't see much of that on here (unless Tiger is actually just too subtle for us).
Too subtle for some I fear.
Satire is lost on those whose first instinct is to cry 'troll' when they can't handle the heat of debate. They make themselves an easy target and I see the bullseye, right between their eyes.

wifie
23-Jul-10, 19:07
Too subtle for some I fear.
Satire is lost on those whose first instinct is to cry 'troll' when they can't handle the heat of debate. They make themselves an easy target and I see the bullseye, right between their eyes.

Will that be a wood or an iron you are using? ;)

tiger woods
23-Jul-10, 19:11
Will that be a wood or an iron you are using? ;)
My trusted putter. Should have used it over the four days last week.
Never mind, there's always next year.

Corrie 3
23-Jul-10, 19:13
Being Tiger, I would have thought it would have been between the legs not the eyes.....

:eek::lol:[lol]

tiger woods
23-Jul-10, 19:16
Being Tiger, I would have thought it would have been between the legs not the eyes.....

:eek::lol:[lol]
My therapist tells me not to think of such things anymore, thanks for planting that image in my head.

jamie123
25-Jul-10, 23:00

Cheers lewski lets get pished together and both of us take our cars out an play chicken;)

SEB
26-Jul-10, 19:14
jamie 123 - your attitude stinks! why don't you find out from a family who's lost a child due to the idiotic actions of a drunk driver - and see what destruction and devastation the likes of you cause on our roads. But then again, you wouldnt have the balls to do this. Why don't you just crawl back into the hole you creeped out of.

And Lewski - if your post was an attempt at being funny - then I'm sorry - but you failed miserably. Get a life!!!

im behind you
26-Jul-10, 19:41
he never did suss out how to close this thread then.

Corrie 3
26-Jul-10, 20:31
he never did suss out how to close this thread then.
No he didnt, I cant see him doing too well on a chicken run either !!!
I bet he's not laughing when he tries to insure himself again (assuming he bothers with insurance)!!
[evil][evil]

Lewski
27-Jul-10, 16:34
No he didnt, I cant see him doing too well on a chicken run either !!!
I bet he's not laughing when he tries to insure himself again (assuming he bothers with insurance)!!
[evil][evil]

Insurance isn't meant to be funny, it's serious business.

ianshaw
21-Oct-10, 16:20

All help would be great

Cheers
ablood test is certain they will check liver function best to stop drinking at least two weeks before the test and drink plenty of water to flush your system if you have a hgv license its a lot stricter the diving ban stays on your license for 11 years your insurance is going to be badly affected