PDA

View Full Version : Surely it's not just me?

porshiepoo
12-May-10, 14:37
I watch these gardening programmes (such as they are) and i have to have a little giggle at just how mamby pamby the gardeners are with their plants.

Am I the only one who treats my plants with a bit of harsh treatment?
If I want a particular plant to fit in a particular pot then by jove I'll cut (sometimes rip) that root system apart until it goes in said pot. (a couple of cordylines could testify to that treatment today. If they could speak of course :confused)
I don't follow particular times of years for moving or dividing plants, heck I've even divided plants in full flower and had no probs.
If a plant wants moving mid summer then I move it, if I decide a week later it needs to go elsewhere then I'll shift it again.
All plants in my garden have 2 choices - live or die. If they can't cope where I want that particular plant to live then they'd best just grow some strong roots or give up entirely.

Have to say that I've not really lost any plants through my heavy handedness either, I'm more likely to lose young plants cos I stick them outside too early.

I've just spent a few hours round at my veg garden, giving each plant some bloomin rough treatment and I just had to giggle at the thought of what the likes of Alan Titchmarsh would think to my methods. Gawd, he'd be mortified!

But anyway, surely I'm not the only one?

Dadie
12-May-10, 15:09
*giggles*
My hubby dispairs at my pruning ability...once I start...the plant is gone:eek:
twigs is all that is left....
But havent done anything with the evil red leaved shrub in the front garden as its thorns are lethal.... I need pmt and a suicide mission to tackle it!
I dont have green fingers...just a thumb of death...everything I try dies but the weeds flourish:lol:
I also live nextdoor to a great gardener so my garden which doesnt look to bad anywhere else looks worse than it is!

mrlennie
12-May-10, 15:48
The thumb of death idea made me smile :)

Boozeburglar
16-May-10, 15:23
I've just spent a few hours round at my veg garden, giving each plant some bloomin rough treatment...

Where is Sid James when you need him?