PDA

View Full Version : Loch Watten Sunset

wicker05
09-May-10, 00:05
Went out to Loch Watten on Friday night, sunset was brill, tried to capture the moment.
www.flickr.com/photos/wicker05 (http://www.flickr,com/photos/wicker05)

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4025/4587197153_a52d309269_b.jpg

wifie
09-May-10, 00:56
That really is a lovely pic - great light and colours! :)

wicker05
09-May-10, 01:32
Thanks Wifie.

Deemac
09-May-10, 02:14
Great composition and tones. Love the fisherman. Am I detecting some serious red channel chromatic abberation on the left though?

dragonfly
09-May-10, 09:44
lovely tranquil photo and great composition W05 :D

Stingray
09-May-10, 10:08
Wow, certainly one of the best photos in a while on here! Keep them coming!

wicker05
09-May-10, 11:59
Great composition and tones. Love the fisherman. Am I detecting some serious red channel chromatic abberation on the left though?

Deemac your right, it is probably down to me......don't tell anyone but I photoshopped the image. :lol:

Dragonfly and Stingray thanks for your comments.

wicker05
09-May-10, 12:05
Another one.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4011/4588083257_11537e3745_b.jpg

pegasus
09-May-10, 15:04
Nice pics. What camera did you use?

peggy

wifie
09-May-10, 17:11
Wicker that looks like the perfect end to a perfect day kinda shot! :)

porshiepoo
09-May-10, 18:42
Absolutely love that top one. Fantastic image! :)

wicker05
09-May-10, 20:37
Nice pics. What camera did you use?

peggy

Pegasus.....I use a Canon 7D SLR

wicker05
09-May-10, 21:05
A HDR version of the first photo. www.flickr.com/photos/wicker05 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/wicker05)

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4020/4591834666_e87497fab3_b.jpg

wifie
09-May-10, 22:06
If I am honest I prefer the first one but you are needing to shorten that sky! ;)

porshiepoo
10-May-10, 08:26
TBH I prefer the first one. The HDR one has the look of being over sharpened in Photoshop.

mark125
10-May-10, 19:23
Here is one of Loch Watten earlier this year...

wicker05
11-May-10, 00:22
mark125.....your photo may be a bit overexposed, but its still a lovely shot, sunsets can be a bit of a hit or miss, well done, thanks for posting. :)

mark125
11-May-10, 18:25
mark125.....your photo may be a bit overexposed, but its still a lovely shot, sunsets can be a bit of a hit or miss, well done, thanks for posting. :)

Overexposure is a technique I quite often use on sunset scenes. Colours soften, edges blur and it creates a more atmospheric picture. Give it a try sometime :)

pegasus
12-May-10, 00:48
Pegasus.....I use a Canon 7D SLR

Thanks. My OH thinks that Canon are better than Nikon. What do you think?

Mystical Potato Head
12-May-10, 07:10
Overexposure is a technique I quite often use on sunset scenes. Colours soften, edges blur and it creates a more atmospheric picture. Give it a try sometime :)

I think the overexposure,far from adding atmosphere actually ruins the whole shot and having large totally burnt out areas in a photo is not something that enhances any photo.
I'm all for experimenting but i dont think i'll bother trying that one,not dliberately anyway.

sadam
12-May-10, 08:21
The 1st photo has such a peaceful feel to it I like it a lot and the colours blend in also, well done

The Oracle
12-May-10, 08:59
Wicker05 your first photo is without doubt one of the finest posted on the Org recently.

Would you mind posting the EXIF?

wicker05
12-May-10, 09:11
Wicker05 your first photo is without doubt one of the finest posted on the Org recently.

Would you mind posting the EXIF?

Here's the EXIF Oracle:

Model = Canon EOS 7D
Date Time = 2010-05-07 23:24:39
Copyright = All rights reserved
Exposure Time = 1.3"
F Number = F22
Exposure Program = Aperture priority
ISO Speed Ratings = 200
Exif Version = Version 2.21
Date Time Original = 2010-05-07 21:34:03
Date Time Digitized = 2010-05-07 21:34:03
Shutter Speed Value = -0.38 TV
Aperture Value = 8.92 AV
Exposure Bias Value = +1EV
Max Aperture Value = F4.36
Subject Distance = 17.1m
Metering Mode = Pattern
Flash = Flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode
Focal Length = 28mm
Color Space = Uncalibrated
Exif Image Width = 2888
Exif Image Height = 1956
Custom Rendered = Normal process
Exposure Mode = Auto exposure
White Balance = Manual white balance
Scene Capture Type = Normal

The Oracle
12-May-10, 09:38
Thanks for that Wicker05.

As an aside having recently stumbled across lens correction software can I ask if this is something you use.

I don't mean Photoshop or Elements but software that corrects specific distortion and IQ issues with any specific lens/camera combination.

I've been amazed at some of the corrections I've seen.

Tho' I should point out that I'm just a snapper not an experienced amateur photographer and most of these things amaze me !!!

mark125
12-May-10, 11:34
I think the overexposure,far from adding atmosphere actually ruins the whole shot and having large totally burnt out areas in a photo is not something that enhances any photo.
I'm all for experimenting but i dont think i'll bother trying that one,not dliberately anyway.

MPH, photohraphy is a matter of taste, and everyones taste varies. I like to try new techniques to explore different effects at the time of capture, instead of resorting to such programmes as Photoshop to alter an already (in my opinion) finished image. After all, photography is a capture of time and I prefere to leave my images natural and pure, as they were at the time of capture. But going back to my first sentence, it really is a matter of taste......:D

The Oracle
12-May-10, 11:52
...photohraphy is a matter of taste, and everyones taste varies. I like to try new techniques to explore different effects at the time of capture, instead of resorting to such programmes as Photoshop to alter an already (in my opinion) finished image. After all, photography is a capture of time and I prefere to leave my images natural and pure, as they were at the time of capture. But going back to my first sentence, it really is a matter of taste......:D

You are correct, as long as you are happy with your photos or the techniques you are learning to improve your photography (if it needs it), that is the most important thing.

Posting on the Org does invite critique tho' and I'm sure you are fine with that too.

Blown highlights have as much a place in photography as heavily processed HDR images. It is all about effect.

Not everyone will share that view....but in reality does that matter?

wicker05
12-May-10, 13:06
Thanks for that Wicker05.

As an aside having recently stumbled across lens correction software can I ask if this is something you use.

I don't mean Photoshop or Elements but software that corrects specific distortion and IQ issues with any specific lens/camera combination.

I've been amazed at some of the corrections I've seen.

Tho' I should point out that I'm just a snapper not an experienced amateur photographer and most of these things amaze me !!!

Oracle, I don't use any lens correction software, I have enough problems trying to remember the different tools in Photoshop!

mark125
12-May-10, 16:56
You are correct, as long as you are happy with your photos or the techniques you are learning to improve your photography (if it needs it), that is the most important thing.

Posting on the Org does invite critique tho' and I'm sure you are fine with that too.

Blown highlights have as much a place in photography as heavily processed HDR images. It is all about effect.

Not everyone will share that view....but in reality does that matter?

No, it doesn't matter at all Oracle, like you said, as long as we are happy with our own photography and enjoy it for what it is then thats all that matters.

I'm just happy to share my love for Watten loch with a fellow enthusiast.

Great pics wicker! :D

Mystical Potato Head
12-May-10, 18:56
MPH, photohraphy is a matter of taste, and everyones taste varies. I like to try new techniques to explore different effects at the time of capture, instead of resorting to such programmes as Photoshop to alter an already (in my opinion) finished image. After all, photography is a capture of time and I prefere to leave my images natural and pure, as they were at the time of capture. But going back to my first sentence, it really is a matter of taste......:D

Ok,will keep my opinions to myself and me gob firmly shut in the future.

The Oracle
12-May-10, 19:04
Ok,will keep me gob firmly shut in the future.

MPH why do that. Everyone has an opinion and you should feel free to express yours.

Some members will agree with you, some will not.

On this post I also disagreed with you, that does not devalue your opinion, which you are entitled to express.

It would be a sad world if we all liked the same thing.