PDA

View Full Version : Clan Gunn Chief

Artista
28-Apr-10, 21:13
:confused Hello again everyone. I have previously been on the forum enquiring about my Horne ancestors and although I haven't completed that I have decided to spend some time on another part of the family.
My maternal gt grandmother was Margaret Gunn of John Gunn of Sarclet's family. I have a combination of family knowledge, Scotland's People information and some contacts made via Genes Reunited.
I have read some of the history of the clan and I believe that the term Mc Hamish was used for the chief of at least one part of the clan. I have been unable to discover who was chief around 1911 approx. My reason for asking is that I have found that Margaret's brother James who became a city missionery in Liverpool seems to have had McHamish after his name.
I would be interested to hear from anyone who can help or any other relatives.

Bruce_H
01-May-10, 00:22
I may be wrong, but for quite a while there was no Gunn chief, as the McHamish succession had died out. I think someone in England decided to appoint one as of late, though I am not sure what purpose it serves in the present day.

Bruce H

scottishrootsbarb
02-May-10, 02:44
Bruce is quite correct the chief of the Clan Gunn died in 1785. He was Morrison Gunn of the MacHamish Gunns. He left no offspring and thus the clan was withough a chief.
Barb

iainL
04-May-10, 21:48
The Mackeamish was the Clan Chief (i.e. Gunn of that Ilk) and the recognised line ended when two bachelor brothers, who were both Army officers, died on active service in 1780 and 1785. However, the line did not die out: the Chiefship passed to a cousin, George Gunn, but neither he nor his successors ever petitioned the Lord Lyon to be formally recognised as Clan Chief (or perhaps they did not know they were the Chiefs!). Last year the Lord Lyon accepted that William Murray Gunn was the senior living descendant and he just needs to complete the formalities to be recognised as Chief (Google William Murray Gunn and take a look at the Scotland on Sunday report). Burke’s Peerage now includes Clan Chiefs including the Gunns, so you may be able to find a connection to your family there (burkespeerage.com).

Artista
09-May-10, 20:33
Thanks to all who replied.

chuckgunn
04-Jun-10, 22:14
:)I am a direct descendant of Jasper Gunn (1635) from what the Clan Gunn Genealogist says, however I still would like to know the cost of DNA testing. If it is too prohibitive, I might just forget it. I would like to know any ties I might have in Scotland.

chuckgunn
17-Aug-10, 20:45
:)I am a direct descendant of Jasper Gunn (1635) from what the Clan Gunn Genealogist says, however I still would like to know the cost of DNA testing. If it is too prohibitive, I might just forget it. I would like to know any ties I might have in Scotland.
I still haven't gotten an answer to my last question!

Torvaig
18-Aug-10, 00:47
I still haven't gotten an answer to my last question!

Have pm'd you....

Tricia
18-Aug-10, 08:44
visit www.ethnoancestry.co.uk
My paternal line tested there. Surname MORE = I2b2
UK company and specific interests in to Scottish ancestry.
They recently tested a Group of 20 men from Caithness.

Have a look at ysearch.org and search on Gunn - there are a few on there with details of pedigree.
One ID: W9K35 from Haster which relates to me my marriages.

Hairycoo
01-Apr-11, 09:32
Last year the Lord Lyon accepted that William Murray Gunn was the senior living descendant and he just needs to complete the formalities to be recognised as Chief (Google William Murray Gunn and take a look at the Scotland on Sunday report). .

A clan chief is the person who the Lord Lyon has recognised as being in right of the undifferenced Arms. I think it is most unlikely that the Lord Lyon would make any assertions regarding Mr. Gunn's standing in the Gunn family until such time as Mr. Gunn had lodged a petition seeking the undifferenced Arms of the Name. From my experience, Lyon Office is not given to discussing such things when there is likely to be a petition for Arms lodged.

I am sure that theLord Lyon would welcome any petition from a claimant to the chiefship. However, I believe any such claims would require to be supported by primary source material proofs that the petitioner is the senior member of the Gunn family descended from the last recognised Chief.