PDA

View Full Version : Email sending out spam

dragonfly
21-Apr-10, 05:51
can anyone help me to stop my email account sending out spam to everyone in my address list

I'm with AOL, and only use the webmail not the aol programme, have run virus and malware scans and they have not thrown up anything out of the ordinary.

my friends are getting a bit fed up of getting spam from me - all the emails are titled with a name and the body of the email is a link to some dodgy site

how can I stop it?

Bobinovich
21-Apr-10, 09:10
What anti-virus and anti-malware programs have you used?

jimbews
21-Apr-10, 09:34
can anyone help me to stop my email account sending out spam to everyone in my address list

I'm with AOL, and only use the webmail not the aol programme, have run virus and malware scans and they have not thrown up anything out of the ordinary.

my friends are getting a bit fed up of getting spam from me - all the emails are titled with a name and the body of the email is a link to some dodgy site

how can I stop it?
It would be worth getting a friend who has received this setting "view all email headers": the method depends on what email client is used.

It is quite possible that the emails are NOT from you, but that someone else's computer has been infected, your email address passed on to the spammers and being used to forge email as having been from you (or it may even be someone you know who HAS been infected and is the source).

We get spates of this here in the Uni and have to field irate messages from people who have received these. I get them to send an expanded set of headers and it is possible to show that the email has never been anywhere near the Uni.

It tends to be worse for us because many of us publish contact details which get "harvested" by the spammers' software.

dragonfly
21-Apr-10, 18:06
mcaphee, stopzilla, microsoft security essentials, spyware doctor - they all found some tracking cookies but thats it!

dx100uk
22-Apr-10, 01:35
can you clarify what is happening here:
is it:

1. everytime you send an email that you create, you also send a link with that mail that is this spam along with your intended content?

or

2. spam is being sent from your aol webmail A/C without you sending any mail yourself - to everyone in your online mailbox?

dx

dragonfly
22-Apr-10, 07:16
can you clarify what is happening here:
is it:

1. everytime you send an email that you create, you also send a link with that mail that is this spam along with your intended content?

or

2. spam is being sent from your aol webmail A/C without you sending any mail yourself - to everyone in your online mailbox?

dx

its #2, its sending itself even at times when I am not logged on

dx100uk
22-Apr-10, 09:26
not possible.

i do not know of a webmail portal that can be set to do that.

i sus as jimbews says it spoofed.

on one of the people that are getting this can you get them to fwd the mail back to you.

so's we can look at the full header.

it is also puzzling how 'everyone' in you address book gets it
i sus also that somehow all your ad's have been put in to the to: field of a msg a sometime that has gotten on a message board somewhere and they have been harvested by a spam bot.

the only other thought is that you have outlook or another mailprog on your PC and you dont know its doing it.

dx

dragonfly
22-Apr-10, 10:20
have outlook on the desktop but its never opened or used only use webmail through aol.co.uk

this is the time an email was sent and I was snuggly tucked up in bed that night and time so definately when I'm not logged on

Date:
Tue, 20 Apr 2010 23:07

dx100uk
22-Apr-10, 11:57
def nothing to do with you then
prob some numpty that puts everyones email AD in the TO: field and its got harvested.

there is a test that can be done

but i'll need to fwd you an email ad

leave it there

if it happens again shout..

ofcourse there is always the obvious...your aol email a/c has been hacked?

did you change you password as advised?

dx