PDA

View Full Version : Act of God or not?

DRM
16-Apr-10, 10:36
I am told by the Insurance that this ash in the sky is an act of god! _ I contest that remark - If God is in Heaven -Is Heaven not up in the Sky beyond the stars. If so I say it is an act of the Devil, As he is in the Centre of the earth in the hot place and that is where the Magma etc is spewing from so the insurance get out clause should not stand !!!

What do you think?

Commore
16-Apr-10, 10:47
I think it's a daft question. :)

Metalattakk
16-Apr-10, 10:47
I am told by the Insurance that this ash in the sky is an act of god! _ I contest that remark - If God is in Heaven -Is Heaven not up in the Sky beyond the stars. If so I say it is an act of the Devil, As he is in the Centre of the earth in the hot place and that is where the Magma etc is spewing from so the insurance get out clause should not stand !!!

What do you think?

Religion is codswallop.

riggerboy
16-Apr-10, 10:48
i think there is folks on here that are dafter than me lol,

Boozeburglar
16-Apr-10, 10:51
Religion is codswallop.

I hope you have a cushion for that fence.

Anfield
16-Apr-10, 11:06
DRM- I am sure if you wait a few days, then the TV & papers will be full of ads from shyster solicitors offering to claim compensation for people.

northener
16-Apr-10, 11:44

What do you think?

I think you're right.

This is plainly the work of Beelzebub and his fiery little imps.

rob1
16-Apr-10, 12:00
Well, I don't believe in any gods/goddesses/spirits etc. so as far as I am concerned the first thing for the insurance company should do is prove that god exists.

Assuming a god exist and it/he/she is a benevolent and all powerful god as the church claims god to be, then an event that causes misery and chaos for thousands of people should not occur. It how ever did occur.
This leaves us with 3 options, either:
1. god is benevolent but not powerful - but god 'created' all so must be powerful therefore:
2. god is powerful but not benevolent - why would anyone want to follow a god that wasn't kind? Out of fear perhaps?
3. god does not exist.

Anfield
16-Apr-10, 12:33
According to the Association of British Insurers, the term "Act of God" does not feature in the list of exclusions in insurance policies.

"..The term is usually used in the legal defence sector on the grounds that damage for which you are held liable was caused by circumstances beyond your control. Insurance policies do not contain such an exclusion.'
He added: 'The policy will set out what is insured and what the main exclusions are. If loss occurs from an event covered, then the insurer will pay out, in accordance with the terms and conditions.."

lynne duncan
16-Apr-10, 13:01
think they should provide you with transport to another area where flights are still operational and cover your costs, as said before don't use the act of god line, if you have entered into a contract with them to provide you with transport from a to b then whether you go by c or d then they should cover that. if your flight had to go over an area of war then they would reroute, so likewise they should reroute, if you were travelling by train then you could go by bus so ditto.

~~Tides~~
16-Apr-10, 13:08
Its coming from iceland, so surely its an act of Thor? I reckon that I could argue in court that intention of the insurance company is clearly expressed in their policy in ommiting Acts of God "or other such diety or supernatural being".

fred
16-Apr-10, 13:12
According to the Association of British Insurers, the term "Act of God" does not feature in the list of exclusions in insurance policies.

"..The term is usually used in the legal defence sector on the grounds that damage for which you are held liable was caused by circumstances beyond your control. Insurance policies do not contain such an exclusion.'
He added: 'The policy will set out what is insured and what the main exclusions are. If loss occurs from an event covered, then the insurer will pay out, in accordance with the terms and conditions.."

In the San Francisco earthquake of 1906 there were a lot more buildings destroyed by fire than the earthquake. One reason for this was people setting fire to their buildings believing they were insured for fire but not for earthquake.

northener
16-Apr-10, 13:44
Its coming from iceland, so surely its an act of Thor? I reckon that I could argue in court that intention of the insurance company is clearly expressed in their policy in ommiting Acts of God "or other such diety or supernatural being".

Well, the Flying Spaghetti Monster knocked a couple of tiles off my roof last week - I'll see if I can get a payout....

Cattach
16-Apr-10, 13:50
I think it's a daft question. :)

Do not think DRM's question is at all daft. Certainly worth asking to get an idea of people's views. In my humble opion if you believe in God then it is an act of God as everything is but if you do not believe in God then it cannot be an act of God. So it all depends on your believe or not in God - unless you are an insurance broker, of course, then it is just yet another get out to stop paying a legitimate claim.

changilass
16-Apr-10, 13:54
Would it not be up to the insurance companies to prove the existance of 'god'.

If, as I believe he/she/it, don't exist then surely he/she/it couldn't have caused it and therefore the insurance company would be forced to pay out.

Now if they had said it was an act of mother nature, then that would be a totaly different matter all together.

Get your claims ready

Aaldtimer
16-Apr-10, 14:02
An Act of Godess maybe? Gaia strikes back! Maybe she thought the ozone layer needed a break!;)

northener
16-Apr-10, 15:04
An Act of Godess maybe? Gaia strikes back! Maybe she thought the ozone layer needed a break!;)

Oy! Don't get me started.

Gaia isn't a religious concept, I'll have you know.
No Deities! (Shouted with the same amount of hatred and vidictiveness as "No Popery!":Razz)

Giaia was hijacked by a group of trendy tree-huggers looking for a dodgy New Age religion to bore everyone to death with.

(Puts soap-box away and walks off harrumphing loudly.....)

David Banks
16-Apr-10, 15:26
Religion is codswallop.

Battered fish, or battered by fish (ichthus)?

Aaldtimer
16-Apr-10, 15:30

No Deities! (Shouted with the same amount of hatred and vidictiveness as "No Popery!":Razz)

Giaia was hijacked by a group of trendy tree-huggers looking for a dodgy New Age religion to bore everyone to death with.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaia ;)

ducati
16-Apr-10, 15:37

What's wrong with popery? It adds fragrance and atmosphere to any home or place of work :(

golach
16-Apr-10, 15:45
Do Agnostics believe in Acts of God?

brandy
16-Apr-10, 16:27
rolls eyes, amazing how a turn of phrase can be twisted.. would it be the same if it was an act of nature?
or and act of el nino?
or even an act of earthly indegestion?

Metalattakk
16-Apr-10, 17:09
Battered fish, or battered by fish (ichthus)?

That you angling for a response, David? :D

Well, I'll reiterate my point: Religion is codswallop. And that's offishial. ;)

John Little
16-Apr-10, 17:18
"And that's offishial. ;)
__________________"

Sounds a bit dyslexic that.
So it would be an act of dog then?

rob1
16-Apr-10, 17:26
That you angling for a response, David? :D

Well, I'll reiterate my point: Religion is codswallop. And that's offishial. ;)

I would go as far as saying religion is carp. Anyway, I don't think this is the plaice to flounder on the topic. Have we got no sole?

joxville
16-Apr-10, 18:32
If it's an Act of God then you should sue the Roman Catholic Church, the Jewish Church, The Mormons et al. They claim to be representatives of God on Earth therefore must be held accountable for God's actions. :)

upolian
16-Apr-10, 18:36
So fag ash is an act of god?

northener
16-Apr-10, 20:03
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaia ;)

Aha....point taken Aaldtimer.

Wrong Gaia...oops.:Razz

bekisman
16-Apr-10, 20:18
Aha....point taken Aaldtimer.

Wrong Gaia...oops.:Razz

Good old James Lovelock really upset the greens and other tree-huggers when he recommended Nuclear to save the planet - most certainly an independent thinker! ;)

"He is best known for proposing the Gaia hypothesis, which postulates that the biosphere is a self-regulating entity with the capacity to keep our planet healthy by controlling the chemical and physical environment.James Lovelock is in favour of the use of clean nuclear energy Lovelock has become concerned about the threat of global warming from the greenhouse effect. In 2004 he caused a media sensation when he broke with many fellow environmentalists by pronouncing that "only" nuclear power can now halt global warming". In his view, nuclear energy is the only realistic alternative to fossil fuels that has the capacity to both fulfil the large scale energy needs of humankind while also reducing greenhouse emissions."
http://www.ecolo.org/lovelock/

northener
16-Apr-10, 20:54
Do Agnostics believe in Acts of God?

They're definitely, definitely not sure.......