PDA

View Full Version : ripped off by local taxi

rangers1873
11-Apr-10, 16:21
last saturday night my wife and her friend got that purple coloured old style mondeo taxi from the camps bar stopping at macrae st then up to kennedy terrace, my wife's friend had already given him £4 and when he dropped my wife of she asked did she owe anything else and he said he would need a few quid more. i think this is a discrace and i am in 2 minds about reporting them to the council, anybody eles have bad expiereneces with the local taxi's

Aaldtimer
11-Apr-10, 16:30
I don't know the distances involved in your wife's trip but here in Thurso last weekend, some of the taxis were operating on tarriff 2 during normal hours, because it was a holiday weekend.:~(

rangers1873
11-Apr-10, 16:44
less than a 5 min journey

Kodiak
11-Apr-10, 16:51
You do not say what was the total amount paid, but by what you state a Taxi run with one drop off, (You also never sated if there was any waiting time as this must be paid for), it seems perfectly reasonable to me.

northener
11-Apr-10, 16:51
I don't know the distances involved in your wife's trip but here in Thurso last weekend, some of the taxis were operating on tarriff 2 during normal hours, because it was a holiday weekend.:~(

Tarriff 2 now applies all day Saturday and Sunday, but not all taxis charge it, some just do tarriff 2 on a night-time and tarriff 1 daytime. Shop around.

theone
11-Apr-10, 16:56
If it's what the meter said, I don't see how you can complain.

rangers1873
11-Apr-10, 17:04
You do not say what was the total amount paid, but by what you state a Taxi run with one drop off, (You also never sated if there was any waiting time as this must be paid for), it seems perfectly reasonable to me.

how can it be reasonable for a journey of maybe half a mile with the 1 drop off and no waiting time, for gods sake i was in glasgow on tuesday and took a private hire taxi from the paisley road travel lodge to queens street station and was only charged £3.20 a journey of more than twice the distance my wife and her friend took and you know what waiting time you have in glasgow with all the traffic light that are on every street, like i said already my wife's friend gave him £4 and he asked my wife for a few more quid

rangers1873
11-Apr-10, 17:07
If it's what the meter said, I don't see how you can complain.

it was not on ther meter,

northener
11-Apr-10, 17:07
how can it be reasonable for a journey of maybe half a mile with the 1 drop off and no waiting time, for gods sake i was in glasgow on tuesday and took a private hire taxi from the paisley road travel lodge to queens street station and was only charged £3.20 a journey of more than twice the distance my wife and her friend took and you know what waiting time you have in glasgow with all the traffic light that are on every street, like i said already my wife's friend gave him £4 and he asked my wife for a few more quid

With respect 'a few more quid' is meaningless. If you don't tell us exactly what was paid, how can we asess whether it was a fair price or not?

EDDIE
11-Apr-10, 17:18
last saturday night my wife and her friend got that purple coloured old style mondeo taxi from the camps bar stopping at macrae st then up to kennedy terrace, my wife's friend had already given him £4 and when he dropped my wife of she asked did she owe anything else and he said he would need a few quid more. i think this is a discrace and i am in 2 minds about reporting them to the council, anybody eles have bad expiereneces with the local taxi's

So why did your wifes friend pay the taxi driver wouldnt it be easier if her friend gave her share of the taxi fare and when your wife got home the taxi driver could stop the clock and then it would be easier to no the total cost of fair on the machine.
Honestly you cant go far in a taxi for £4 or even £6 these days.
If your on a night out in the town £6 is nothing for a taxi home compared to how much money they would have gave to the barman to get sorehead the next day now thats a waste of money?

rangers1873
11-Apr-10, 17:23
So why did your wifes friend pay the taxi driver wouldnt it be easier if her friend gave her share of the taxi fare and when your wife got home the taxi driver could stop the clock and then it would be easier to no the total cost of fair on the machine.
Honestly you cant go far in a taxi for £4 or even £6 these days.
If your on a night out in the town £6 is nothing for a taxi home compared to how much money they would have gave to the barman to get sorehead the next day now thats a waste of money?

can you not read ,it was not on the meter i give up writing on this threat with all you goody toshoes, plus it is wick i live in and the journey is straight up a hill and no traffic lights to stop the journey

EDDIE
11-Apr-10, 17:35
can you not read ,it was not on the meter i give up writing on this threat with all you goody toshoes, plus it is wick i live in and the journey is straight up a hill and no traffic lights to stop the journey

I take it you dont own a car? I dont no about you but when my better half is going on a night out i always stay up and give her and her freind a run home do u not do things like that for your wife?

starry
11-Apr-10, 17:41
I agree it goes seem very high for such a short journey.

I know very little about taxi's, don't they have to have meter or show a clear tariff ?

I hope this thread doesn't end up all sarky comments and egos, it would be good to know if some taxis are ripping folk off then people know which ones to avoid.

starry
11-Apr-10, 17:43
I take it you dont own a car? I dont no about you but when my better half is going on a night out i always stay up and give her and her freind a run home do u not do things like that for your wife?

Maybe he was working, maybe he was at home with small children and couldn't leave them, maybe he was having a drink as well.

Kodiak
11-Apr-10, 17:53

Getting stroppy will do you no good. As it has already been stated you do not say anywhere what the total amount was for the Taxi Fare. Just by saying a few quid more means nothing. This could be £2.00 or £20.00, or anything in-between.

Perhaps next time you get in a Taxi you will remind the Driver to put on the meter.

EDDIE
11-Apr-10, 17:59
Maybe he was working, maybe he was at home with small children and couldn't leave them, maybe he was having a drink as well.

What he is saying is the same old story taxi drivers hear all the time and im just trying to point out whats point in moaning about a couple a quid or even a £10 max for taxi fare compared to what the average person spends in bar the most important thing his wife got home safely from a night out is that not worth paying £10 for a fare honestly if u live in a city and you have to pay for a taxi home a tenner is nothing.

Ajax
11-Apr-10, 18:25
Maybe he was working, maybe he was at home with small children and couldn't leave them, maybe he was having a drink as well.well said starry i agree fully

wicker8
11-Apr-10, 18:27
i have to say you have a point

starry
11-Apr-10, 18:36
I would like to know is if taxis are meant to have meters ?

And if they don't then are they meant to have a clear tariff showing ?

He doesn't live in a city and from what I read the journey was less than half a mile and cost appox £6.00.

That seems a lot to me.

EDDIE
11-Apr-10, 18:42
Im not sure but if there is a meter in the car they can stop at taxi ranks and at the side of the road and if the car has no meter they cant stop at taxi ranks or at the side of the road its purely private hire only were you have to phone and book it ?
Starry if you have a meter in the car and they put on there tarriffs before the taxi sets of you wont get far on £6 maybey 2 miles tops

ShelleyCowie
11-Apr-10, 18:46
I try to avoid taxis unless i really need to be somewhere fast.

My sister is pretty brilliant at taking me places, same as my mum. But i try to walk as much as i can! reason being its free and its excellent exercise! :D

But on the rare occasion i have had a taxi with multiple stops it does cost extra. And iv never grudged paying it unless it really was a complete rip off.

EDDIE
11-Apr-10, 19:03
Does anyone remember back in the eightys before the meters came on the go the taxi used to charge 50p a mile and that was cheap when u think about it wick to thurso a £10 or £60 to inverness?

Creme_Egg
11-Apr-10, 19:52
My pal is a taxi driver and the amount of idiots he gets is unreal, its not just £6 straight in his pocket look at the over heads........obviously there is a wee bit of money in it or there wouldnt be so many but if your that bothred then walk? run? cycle? Plan ahead? Ring a friend.....Lots of options

northener
11-Apr-10, 20:09

If you're going to react like that, then you won't get much sympathy.

I asked you a question which you have yet to answer - what was the actual cost of the journey?

Just so you know, I run KPH Taxis. If you've a genuine grievance then fair enough, I'll do what i can to put you in the picture. If this is just an excuse to slag off a taxi because it wasn't 'cheap' enough - then I'll show you no mercy.

Your call.

Kirdon
11-Apr-10, 20:52
For goodness sake! give the guy (rangers1873) a break. £6 for a taxi from the camps to kennedy with a stop in macrae st which is onroute, hell I will not be using this taxi!, for anybody who doesn't know the route take a quick look at googlemaps, a quick whirl round the harbour, up the hill then stop for macrae st/ turn left for kennedy.

Also what anybody spends on a night out is irelevant to the cost of a taxi home

Leanne
11-Apr-10, 20:59
Why wasn't it on the meter? Did you just flag a cab? If so they aren't legal and can charge you whatever they want - off meter...

rangers1873
11-Apr-10, 21:13
For goodness sake! give the guy (rangers1873) a break. £6 for a taxi from the camps to kennedy with a stop in macrae st which is onroute, hell I will not be using this taxi!, for anybody who doesn't know the route take a quick look at googlemaps, a quick whirl round the harbour, up the hill then stop for macrae st/ turn left for kennedy.

thank you , finally someone with a bit of sence

BonsBalls
11-Apr-10, 21:32
Do any of the above posters on this thread actually live in wick or use a LOCAL WICK taxi because if they do they must know Rangers1873 wife has been ripped off

Yes Wick taxis are slightly dearer after midnight but after using several and YES with an additional stop I have not been charged an extortionate amount 4 quid max incl a tip

egregory
11-Apr-10, 21:35
Have not meet an honest one, maybe where we live, 3 miles for £20.00 pound, you know who you are!!!!!! Keiss to Lyth!!!!!

egregory
11-Apr-10, 21:39
Don't get one from Keiss to anywhere. Be warned, the taxis company is in Keiss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BonsBalls
11-Apr-10, 21:41
Maybe this is why this so called taxi can afford take the weekend off cuz keeps ripping honest people off bloody incomers

black16i
11-Apr-10, 21:48
i would expect to get the taxi left at my door for that price...............thats a total rip off

BonsBalls
11-Apr-10, 21:52
You seen that purple mondeo it aint worth 5 quid never mind 20 lol

telfordstar
11-Apr-10, 21:57

Im with you as well. As usual folk posting here rip the thread to threads ( will not mention names). Is it really such a big deal to harp on about tarriffs, why didnt you do this that, and all the other crap. sometimes this org gets a bit of a joke if you ask me.

Rangers1873 sounds like your wife and mate was ripped off probably chancing his hand with 2 drunk woman by asking for more!

highlandlassie
11-Apr-10, 21:59
I knew who you were speaking about before I clicked on the thread. We had problems with that taxi driver to. He charged nearly 3 times the price of a normal taxi in Wick out to the country at the same times on a Saturday night. We won't be using that one again.

youoldduffer
11-Apr-10, 22:00
I didnt realise a few quid meant anything like £2 or £20, Thats a hellva leap, I always thought a few meant 3 or there abouts so the run would of cost round about £7 which quite frankley for a town run and one stop is a disgrace. I use taxi's going from one side of the town to the other stopping on route to get beer and have never been charged that amount.

rangers1873
11-Apr-10, 22:04
I didnt realise a few quid meant anything like £2 or £20, Thats a hellva leap, I always thought a few meant 3 or there abouts so the run would of cost round about £7 which quite frankley for a town run and one stop is a disgrace. I use taxi's going from one side of the town to the other stopping on route to get beer and have never been charged that amount.

thank you . another one who gets my point

upolian
11-Apr-10, 22:09
Interesting to see where this thread goes....

BonsBalls
11-Apr-10, 22:17
And the english say the scots are tight its obvious we are gettin ripped off by them if this taxi firm is who i think it is

northener
11-Apr-10, 22:24
Well.

There's some interesting comments being made on here.

I've already said who I am and that I'm willing to help out with sorting out what should be charged or not.

I don't recall Rangers saying his partner was charged a certain figure, all that was said that it was £4 plus 'a few quid' - where this figure of six quid has come from is a mystery to me. That's why I'd like to know exactly what was charged - not an estimate. Then we can disuss whether it is an overchrge or not. Without that information we are no closer.

Leanne
11-Apr-10, 22:28
why wasn't the meter running?

BonsBalls
11-Apr-10, 22:29
Interesting comments its clear its your taxi firm doing the ripping off hence the reason your willing to discuss the the price being charged

northener
Don't get one from Keiss to anywhere. Be warned, the taxis company is in Keiss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seeing as I'm the only taxi in Keiss - you must be referring to me.

Could you tell me when exactly I charged you twent quid for this run? Date, amount of people carried, where from and where to?

For 'three miles'...... really?

Put up or shut up.

starry
Im with you as well. As usual folk posting here rip the thread to threads ( will not mention names). Is it really such a big deal to harp on about tarriffs, why didnt you do this that, and all the other crap. sometimes this org gets a bit of a joke if you ask me.

Rangers1873 sounds like your wife and mate was ripped off probably chancing his hand with 2 drunk woman by asking for more!

I was asking about tariffs as I genuinely wanted to know if it was law to display them if not running a meter not to rip into Rangers1873.

If it came across that way then I apologise Rangers xx

BonsBalls
11-Apr-10, 22:33
Operating in Keiss i guess there wont be much work out there hence the reason your trying take customer's away from WICK taxis charging over the top prices

black16i
11-Apr-10, 22:35
Seeing as I'm the only taxi in Keiss - you must be referring to me.

Could you tell me when exactly I charged you twent quid for this run? Date, amount of people carried, where from and where to?

For 'three miles'...... really?

Put up or shut up.

does it matter if you have 1 or 5 people, going 3 miles should never cost £20, ? and why would it be different prices on different dates? unless its new year, then it still does not add up

northener
11-Apr-10, 22:39
Interesting comments its clear its your taxi firm doing the ripping off hence the reason your willing to discuss the the price being charged

I'm glad you've got your finger on the pulse, otherwise I wouldn't know which are my taxis.....

I run a 7 seater Ford Connect which is light blue and has...wait for it...'KPH Taxis' on the side. I also run a metallic blue Pug 406 estate which has written on the side...can you guess it yet?...'KPH Taxis'.

No Mondeo at all. So kindly get your facts straight.

Oh, and regarding weekends off - it's my business and I'll run it as I see fit. If you don't like it - don't use it. But I doubt very much if you have, anyway.

upolian
11-Apr-10, 22:39
Noway i got a taxi with this dude on boxing day,not expensive at all! Id like to see where this thread goes....he is 1 of the taxi drivers id actually take a taxi with again for 2 simple reasons 1: price 2: good crack,i think a thread like this will have a serious knock on effect,it should be removed and discussed 1 on 1 via pm not slagging the poor guy on a forum.

black16i
11-Apr-10, 22:43
Noway i got a taxi with this dude on boxing day,not expensive at all! Id like to see where this thread goes....he is 1 of the taxi drivers id actually take a taxi with again for 2 simple reasons 1: price 2: good crack,i think a thread like this will have a serious knock on effect,it should be removed and discussed 1 on 1 via pm not slagging the poor guy on a forum.

i think that there is 2 different firms being discussed here, and if they have nothing to hide, why remove the thread? u have had your opinion on it,now let others

Tubthumper
11-Apr-10, 22:43
People, people, people. Remeber this is the Internet. You can say anything you want while hiding behind a keyboard. Was £20 actually charged? Has someone got gripe against a particular taxi?
Has someone got a gripe against 'incomers'?
I think the answer, and the size of the brains that are being exposed here, is pretty obvious.
Rangers 1973 never actually said what his wife was charged. Can we get that sorted out first please?
Traditionally the next step is for the faceless keyboard heroes doing the accusing here to start sounding off. After that it's nasty PMs.

BonsBalls
11-Apr-10, 22:44
Why would northerner be willing discuss the charging then?

Anfield
11-Apr-10, 22:45
Well.

There's some interesting comments being made on here.

I've already said who I am and that I'm willing to help out with sorting out what should be charged or not.

I don't recall Rangers saying his partner was charged a certain figure, all that was said that it was £4 plus 'a few quid' - where this figure of six quid has come from is a mystery to me. That's why I'd like to know exactly what was charged - not an estimate. Then we can disuss whether it is an overchrge or not. Without that information we are no closer.

Been following this thread with interest. We are now on 40+ posting and despite various requests for info nobody knows exactly how much this taxi ride cost.
Come on man, put us all out of our misery!

northener
11-Apr-10, 22:45

does it matter if you have 1 or 5 people, going 3 miles should never cost £20, ? and why would it be different prices on different dates? unless its new year, then it still does not add up

Exactly, my freind. It doesn't add up.

That's why I'm waiting for our chum to get back to me with date, time, destination and amount of people carried so I can confirm or deny the allegation. I'm not expecting a quick response to that.[lol]

I've never charged over the legitimate meter price in my life, most of the time I charge under by a decent mark. Same as most of the taxi companies in Wick.

upolian
11-Apr-10, 22:46
i think that there is 2 different firms being discussed here, and if they have nothing to hide, why remove the thread? u have had your opinion on it,now let others

ok boss.....

catran
11-Apr-10, 22:47
Aye he got me an infarction but I BEAR NO GRUDGES fun is fun so why this slagging off HIS taxis. I know someone from Keiss who sang his prAISES and she was an elderly lady and the taXI MAN WAS SUCH A GENTLEMAN AND SHE WAS DELIGHTED WITH HIS PRICES..nO BUSSING FOR HER.

black16i
11-Apr-10, 22:47
ok boss.....

i agree totally

Vistravi
11-Apr-10, 22:48
I would like to know is if taxis are meant to have meters ?

And if they don't then are they meant to have a clear tariff showing ?

He doesn't live in a city and from what I read the journey was less than half a mile and cost appox £6.00.

That seems a lot to me.

£6 for half a mile walk? Better of walking.

northener
11-Apr-10, 22:48
Why would northerner be willing discuss the charging then?

Post 47.

Or is it a bit too difficult for you to work out?

northener
11-Apr-10, 22:49
Operating in Keiss i guess there wont be much work out there hence the reason your trying take customer's away from WICK taxis charging over the top prices

So how does that work, Einstein?[lol]

upolian
11-Apr-10, 22:49
I can see this being 1 of those out of control threads shortly:roll:

BonsBalls
11-Apr-10, 22:50
I'm glad you've got your finger on the pulse, otherwise I wouldn't know which are my taxis.....

I run a 7 seater Ford Connect which is light blue and has...wait for it...'KPH Taxis' on the side. I also run a metallic blue Pug 406 estate which has written on the side...can you guess it yet?...'KPH Taxis'.

No Mondeo at all. So kindly get your facts straight.

Oh, and regarding weekends off - it's my business and I'll run it as I see fit. If you don't like it - don't use it. But I doubt very much if you have, anyway.

Northerner your right i have never used your taxis and i wont because your not a wick taxi and we have enough of our own.

northener
11-Apr-10, 22:52

Ach, don't worry about it Upolian. It'll take more than a couple of chip-on-the shoulder keyboard chimpanzees to wind me up. My regular Keiss crew know this is all pooh stirring crap anyway.

I'm quite enjoying myself.:Razz

telfordstar
11-Apr-10, 22:55
Northerner your right i have never used your taxis and i wont because your not a wick taxi and we have enough of our own.

Thats a bit petty eh! At the end of the day a taxi is a taxi I couldna care if it was from Wick, Keiss or wherever. I just find your post childish. I will pick up your dummy for you that you just spat out eh!

EDDIE
11-Apr-10, 22:57

It is when you think about it some people are quite happy spending a lot of money on drink to get drunk and think thats money well spent ok but then moan about a price of a taxi which takes you home safely its the same as saying someone that smokes is quite happy to buy 2 packet of fags for £12 that harms your health and is happy paying that but grudges buying something else for £12 doesnt make sense
So if there is no meter in the taxi why didnt they ask the taxi driver how much it would cost to take them home so then they would have a choice then to walk it or accept it or were they to boozy and dont even know what taxi firm took them home?
Say if that guy charged £6 for that fair say it took him 15 mins from start to finish to complete that run in hour he could make £24 maybey £30 with tips its not a lot really when u take into consideration wages fuel mantenence of car the quite times were is sitting about and not working.
I mind few years back when i was in london on holiday we got a taxi from the city centre in london to gatwick that cost me £80 i didnt want to pay him but i knew i had to but thats just the price you pay if you dont want to go by bus or train .
If it cost £6 which rangers hasnt said yet the actual cost its not that dear because your paying for the luxury of having someone drive you to your door rather than walking home in the cold were it might rain or you havent the energy to walk home

northener
11-Apr-10, 23:00

I have no problem with that at all, my friend. I know and respect all the taxi drivers and owners in Wick.

We have a good working relationship with all the firms in Wick and all help each other out if we're stuck. Wick firms have put work my way and I've put work their way as well.
Sure, we're in competition. But I can honestly say that no self-respecting cabbie would be involved in some of the ridiculous slagging that's going off here. And I'm not talking about Rangers original post, he appears to have a genuine grievance and all I have asked is for the exact details of what was charged so I can possibly point him in the right direction.

Ripoffs don't help anyone around here, we're all trying to make a living out of a dwindling market - so keeping the customers happy is No1 priority.

upolian
11-Apr-10, 23:00
Ach, don't worry about it Upolian. It'll take more than a couple of chip-on-the shoulder keyboard chimpanzees to wind me up. My regular Keiss crew know this is all pooh stirring crap anyway.

I'm quite enjoying myself.:Razz

Aye a ken the crack;)LOL it is getting interesting,lucky i have plenty coffee im gona be sat watching this evolve[lol]

Tubthumper
11-Apr-10, 23:01
Bonsballs has the hump
He just cannot stand
The taxi frae Keis
It should just get banned
It's awfy expensive
And isnae fae week
The fact it exists
Makes him feel total seek

What's seen on the org
Yet again in sharp focus
Is the numpties that live
In the wide Caithness locus
Who think they can post
All the crap of the day
And with outrage and mince
They can get clean away

Take heed all ye numpties
You will get found oot
And the folk wi' some sense
Will gie ye the boot
So rather than keeping on
Digging a hole
Why not say yer sorry
And save your org soul

Like real life most people
Forgive and forget
For the most part they'd rather
Just live and live let
If posting in anger
Or drink's in your mind
Take breath and confess
Folk don't care, you will find

upolian
11-Apr-10, 23:04
^^^^^LOL thats class!

northener
Aye he got me an infarction but I BEAR NO GRUDGES fun is fun so why this slagging off HIS taxis. I know someone from Keiss who sang his prAISES and she was an elderly lady and the taXI MAN WAS SUCH A GENTLEMAN AND SHE WAS DELIGHTED WITH HIS PRICES..nO BUSSING FOR HER.

I got you an infraction? Jeez, what was that for?

PM me Catran, I'd like to know the details. I wouldn't want anyone getting 'slapped' because of something they've said involving me. Broad shoulders an' all that.

theone
Northerner - as someone in the trade hopefully you'll be able to answer this.

What are the rules on pick up's and charges?

My understanding was a 'taxi' picked up from the street must use the meter. A 'private hire' car must be telephoned but does not require a meter?

Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought it was along those lines.

northener
11-Apr-10, 23:13
Getting back on topic, a daytime run from Camps car park to Kennedy will be around £3.20 - £3.50 (IIRC - i was going to clock it today...but I'm weekend off;) and have had a few beers)

After 22:00 or all day Sat Sun will be Tarriff 2. I reckon about £4.50-£5.50. But the Wick lads will know better.

(edit) those are the prices on the meter and are off the top of my head.

northener
11-Apr-10, 23:19
Northerner - as someone in the trade hopefully you'll be able to answer this.

What are the rules on pick up's and charges?

My understanding was a 'taxi' picked up from the street must use the meter. A 'private hire' car must be telephoned but does not require a meter?

Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought it was along those lines.

You're absolutely right.

One of the problems is that because Wick is such a small town, sometimes the meter isn't put on because the driver knows how much it's going to be as he does it all day every day.

I can understand the reasoning behind it, but it's not a good idea to leave the meter off - even if you know exactly what the fares going to be. (bear in mind many Wick firms - and us - run at under meter rates anyway) as occasionally you will get someone query the fare...which takes us back to Rangers' original post.
If the meter had been on then there would be no argument about the fare whatsoever.

EDDIE
11-Apr-10, 23:28
You're absolutely right.

One of the problems is that because Wick is such a small town, sometimes the meter isn't put on because the driver knows how much it's going to be as he does it all day every day.

I can understand the reasoning behind it, but it's not a good idea to leave the meter off - even if you know exactly what the fares going to be. (bear in mind many Wick firms - and us - run at under meter rates anyway) as occasionally you will get someone query the fare...which takes us back to Rangers' original post.
If the meter had been on then there would be no argument about the fare whatsoever.

But the meter is not just there for taxi driver to know how much to charge the customer but its there for the customer to see for themselves and if there is no meters its open for abuse in more ways than one.
But ranger never explained if there was a meter there or was it turned off?

northener
11-Apr-10, 23:32
But the meter is not just there for taxi driver to know how much to charge the customer but its there for the customer to see for themselves and if there is no meters its open for abuse in more ways than one.
But ranger never explained if there was a meter there or was it turned off?

You're right about the meter being there for the customer, Eddie. That's the main reason why they're fitted, and rightly so.

Blarney
11-Apr-10, 23:51
Just to get back to the original post here, did she break down the cost of the rest of her night out too? As others have said before me, a few quid is small price to pay to get home safely. The fact that she was probably charged extortionate amounts in hostelries in the town prior to this wouldn't have raised an plucked eyebrow. The taxi driver WAS probably out of order but lets face it, would ferrying loud, drunken revellers and their curries home at all hours of the morning every weekend be your ideal occupation? It sure as hell wouldn't be mine, so I think that the guy deserved a wee sweetener on the fare. At least he was working for his living which is more than can be said for many of his regular customers. Oh and before anyone thinks I've got a commercial interest in any of this I can honestly declare that I don't and I haven't a clue who any of those involved are.

northener
11-Apr-10, 23:52
[quote=northener;689921]You're absolutely right.

/QUOTE]

The meter has to be on by law.

Yesss....i know that.....I'm trying to give a realistic idea of what happens. Sometimes on busy times and on short runs the drivers forget to put the meter on. Humans, an' all that.

sandyr1
12-Apr-10, 02:13
Listen Guys/ gurls, we don't need another fichttttt!

greener
12-Apr-10, 02:32
Northner :- For One who says it it was not his taxis that done that run you have a lot to blow about, why get involved ?? :confused

Metalattakk
12-Apr-10, 03:39
That's not a reason, that is an excuse. How can a taxi driver accidentally on purpose forget to put the meter on. Unless they have intentions of ripping off the customer?

It could be that they want to control the price themselves.

I've heard from local Thurso taxi drivers that there are now some Wick taxis that come through to Thurso at the weekends because they can run their cabs on the meter here, and make a living at least.

They can't do that in Wick because there are plenty who choose to ignore the law and charge lesser, cash-in-hand prices for local runs in Wick, and they can't compete with the cut-down prices.

northener
12-Apr-10, 08:12
Northner :- For One who says it it was not his taxis that done that run you have a lot to blow about, why get involved ?? :confused

Easy, I was trying to help out Ranger with his problem. I wanted to know exactly what was charged so I could give him a straight answer - I still don't know what was charged.

If the taxis in Wick are being criticised, then I'll take an interest as it's how I make my living. We had a thread on here some time ago where someone was making claims that a Wick taxi driver was overcharging and 'doing something to his meter' - turned out to be incorrect in the end. We might be in competition round here, but it doen't help anyone if somethings' wrong.

I don't own a 'purple mondeo' -it's not my taxi involved. Unfortunately a couple of extremely ill-informed and witless idiots then decided to use the thread to try and rubbish my business. for what reasons I know not.

It turns out that one of them decided that me being an 'incomer' was somehow relevant and criticised my business without ever actually having used it. Which says more about them than it does me, doesn't it?[lol]

The other one (Egregory from Lyth) is telling people not to use me as I have "ripped them off." I've PM'd this individual asking them to back up their claim. So far nothing....I'd say that's because they've cocked up and they damn well know it.
I'd also say they've phoned a Wick taxi to get them from Keiss to Lyth and have been charged out from Wick by the cab - that's possibly how the alleged fare of £20 was arrived at.
For the record, I charge £6 Keiss to Lyth daytime and £9 nightime.

Doesn't matter if they don't respond though, as I found their phone number in one of Egregorys' posts on the .Org:

Elaine Gregory, R&G Fencing. Strathyre, Lyth. 641454.

I'll phone them up if they refuse to back up their allegation or apologise..

So yes, Greener. I certainly do have a lot to blow about. Someone made unsubstantiated claims about my business simply because I asked a sensible question. So I'll show them no mercy whatsoever and I certainly won't let the matter drop until I've decided I'm happy.

Lee.

onecalledk
12-Apr-10, 08:15

private hire in the central belt is not the highlands! I got used to the cheap taxi fares in the central belt where sometimes if there was more than 2 of you it was CHEAPER than taking a bus. THis is the highlands of scotland. Try being in Inverness on a saturdaynight/sunday morning where its about £4 on the meter before you go anywhere! A taxi from town centre inverness to Raigmore estate, a distance of about 2 miles is approx £10 - £12.......

if your fare was not on the meter i dont see how you can complain at all.

K

riggerboy
12-Apr-10, 08:17
poor northener yer getting a right pasteing here my pal, you should have never let them get into you this way, having read all the posts it would appear that no one knows how much was charged and who drove the car all we know is it wasnt northener from KPH, i have had his taxi and had no problems at all, poor taxi drivers are only trying to make a living, look at it this way if you were pished standing on the street at some ungodly hour in the rain the first thing out yer mouth would be """ god i`d give anything for a taxi home right now""" and lets be honest here i dont think a £5 is to much to ask for a run from the camps to kennedy, petrol is nearly £6 a gallon, insurance tri-monthly MOT, road tax, wages, it all adds up and before you all jump on board and say it takes 5 mins for a run like that, yes i know that, but the cars may have been sitting for 30 mins waiting for a run, a taxi is not running 24hrs a day go out and have a look i have seen cars sitting for the best part of 1 1/2 hours making no money,

and to conclude i would also put money on this i bet the victim in this will take another taxi and before she/he gets in will NOT ask how much to kennedy,

LMS
12-Apr-10, 08:47
How on earth did this post on an alleged overcharging in Wick end up in a pasting for poor Northerner?

The original poster came on mumping about a taxi fare in Wick. I quite agree it wasn't cheap but unfortunately taxis aren't cheap here anymore. I well remember the £1 anywhere days but these are long gone. Let's face it, it didn't happen anywhere else in the country other than a few small rural towns possibly.

Northerner came on to try and clarify the point by trying to put a few FACTS into the equation, everything up until this point was half-stories. The OP's story is still allegations with no hard-facts. However, the man who tries to help out gets ripped to bits.

The moral of the story is that you choose one of four options - a) stay at home, b) drive, c) hoof it or d) pay the price. Taxis aren't cheap anymore but to put it into perspective, you would probably pay the same for two drinks that will give you a sore head and make you spew in the morning! Other people will spend the same money on a packet of fags that will give them lung cancer.

Everyone up here loves to rip a business, any business, to shreds - 'they charge too much, they are making a FORTUNE, they don't pay enough, they don't follow legislation etc. etc. etc.' but if only half of them knew what is involved in the terms of work, paperwork and insurance they would be shocked and never complain again.

ShelleyCowie
12-Apr-10, 09:18
Wow some comments that maybe were not needed on here.

Northener is just trying to help. Which i think is really nice because he didnt even have to say he had a taxi firm at all.

I have looked through every post and Northener has asked for info on how much this "few quid" actually was. Still no response. Also about the alleged £20 for 3 miles, no response to that either.

If your having a multiple stop journey, doesnt even matter if its on the route you should still ask how much its going to cost to do so. Also Rangers, if your wife wasnt pleased being charged again then why not dispute this with the taxi firm instead of posting on a public forum? Just asking...nothing harmful meant by it.

Northener, i have never used your taxis. But thats just because i live in Thurso. But i believe you are an honest person and believe everything you have said.

Taxi drivers make a living the same as everyone else folks!

Shelleys 2 cents are over........ :D

Venture
12-Apr-10, 09:39

Maybe this is why this so called taxi can afford take the weekend off cuz keeps ripping honest people off bloody incomers

And the english say the scots are tight its obvious we are gettin ripped off by them if this taxi firm is who i think it is

I honestly can't believe the content of the above posts. Here's Northener trying to help out and gets this in return. Perhaps there is more to this thread being started than we know about. It's very rare for me to bad rep anyone but on this occasion both of the above deserve it and more.[disgust]

Keep up the pressure Northener you have a taxi company to be proud of.:)

Julia
12-Apr-10, 09:51
I thought it was originally a purple mondeo so how on earth could it have been Northener who I know for a fact does not own a mondeo, duh this is all getting a bit bizarre, someone offers a wee bit of help and then ends up in the firing line, I wouldn't let this one drop either not if it were my business/reputation in question!

BTW myself and a friend got a taxi from the Camps car park last Saturday night, we went first to Leith Walk then over to Loch Street and the total cost was £4.50 which I thought was not bad as we went from one side of town to the other and then doubled back.

Creme_Egg
12-Apr-10, 09:53
Go on northernererer ...........stay strong be proud!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Kevin Milkins
12-Apr-10, 10:14
There was never a more true saying than "the road to hell is paved with good intentions" and it seems that northener has fell foul again.:confused

I have only used a taxi in Wick a couple of times, (or should I be ironic and say a few times) and on these few occasions I wouldn't have remembered the taxi or the fare, however, Mrs M will jump in one after a trip to Somerfields and her preference is KPH, because he is always polite and helpful.

I once got ripped off by a female taxi driver on the first day of our holiday in Gran Canaria and it spoiled my whole fortnight:mad:.
It took me four years for me to get even, but she still remembered who I was when I delivered the punch line.

I guess it's a tough game to be in and I am sure anyone that rips folk off will not last long in Wick.

Amy-Winehouse
12-Apr-10, 11:42
It could be that they want to control the price themselves.

I've heard from local Thurso taxi drivers that there are now some Wick taxis that come through to Thurso at the weekends because they can run their cabs on the meter here, and make a living at least.

They can't do that in Wick because there are plenty who choose to ignore the law and charge lesser, cash-in-hand prices for local runs in Wick, and they can't compete with the cut-down prices.

Thats very true Metalattakk, the taxis in Thurso charge meter prices where the Wick drivers have fixed fares , the reason for this is that Thurso people WILL pay whats on the meter & the Wickers moan & complain about it.

It doesnt help the bigger firms that some firms undercharge or certainly wont charge meter prices- thats good for you & I as customers but not so good for the drivers as their wages are not the best.

If i recall, the meter must be switched on during a fare . You cannot be charged more than what is on the meter at journeys end , the driver can charge less than what is on the meter(in Wick they do) there has to be a tarrif sheet in the front passenger side of the car. The driver should be wearing a shirt & trousers, not jeans or t-shirts or hats & ties are optional( but not advisable with drunken Wifies in the car).

Turquoise
12-Apr-10, 14:04
My advice to anyone is, always make sure that the meter is on. As previously said, they can then charge under this amount at their own discretion, but never over.

If you feel that you have been overcharged by a taxi driver, ask for a receipt, stating the route, time, date, price and the taxi drivers badge number. You then have some proof if you wish to take the matter further.

However, this should not be put on a public forum. If you have a grievance with a driver or firm, this should be taken up with them directly or through the council.

As for Northerner, I can honestly say I have rarely dealt with such a nice person in a business capacity. He charged almost half of what any other firm in the county could come up with and is an absolute gent into the bargain! And no before anyone asks, I do not know him personally, I have simply had the pleasure of dealing with him for business.

upolian
12-Apr-10, 14:35
My advice to anyone is, always make sure that the meter is on. As previously said, they can then charge under this amount at their own discretion, but never over.

If you feel that you have been overcharged by a taxi driver, ask for a receipt, stating the route, time, date, price and the taxi drivers badge number. You then have some proof if you wish to take the matter further.

However, this should not be put on a public forum. If you have a grievance with a driver or firm, this should be taken up with them directly or through the council.

As for Northerner, I can honestly say I have rarely dealt with such a nice person in a business capacity. He charged almost half of what any other firm in the county could come up with and is an absolute gent into the bargain! And no before anyone asks, I do not know him personally, I have simply had the pleasure of dealing with him for business.

Could agree with you more,he makes the taxi route comfortable,no awkward silences,no silly driving/prices,hes an awesome guy and i will not be using anybody else!

scorrie
12-Apr-10, 15:15
I think this thread is a shameless rant started with a load of vague codswallop. Anyone with a grievance should have taken the EXACT details direct to the owner of the taxi firm involved, in order to give them a chance to put the matter straight. Others who have jumped on the bandwagon, without even knowing the facts, should be ashamed of themselves.

I have a simple system when taking taxis from the rank, I use the first one in the queue as I think it is fairest. I have had KPH many times and find the owner and the other guy who drives to be friendly and chatty gentlemen. Prices have been the same as the other firms I use in the town.

It is a disgrace that someone's livelihood is being dragged through the mud in public, when the matter rests solely between the complainant and the taxi owner involved.

As for mention of "Incomers" that is typical narrow-minded pish that does little to elevate the status of Caithness as a community within the UK.

riggerboy
12-Apr-10, 15:51
do we know the name of the taxi firm as yet or even the drive would be a start ??? then we could move on to the hanging

hang him hang him hang him

and that will put an end to it,

exweeker
12-Apr-10, 17:25
rangers you was right in bringing it to the att off the public about the rip off.any local taxi would have been 3--50 and you as a local would know that.

ahh poor northerner is hard done by like others if he keeps his neb outa other ppls buisness he wont get it snipped.

and for all the other snipers that have nothing more to do but tear ppls threads apart wick is not a city and never will be if you want to live city lives you should have stayed where you came from. the local taxi firms know that and they charge acc so they know best how to make a living

northener
12-Apr-10, 17:42
rangers you was right in bringing it to the att off the public about the rip off.any local taxi would have been 3--50 and you as a local would know that.

Tarriff 2 Camps car park to half way up Kennedy via Macrae St: £4.50 on the meter.

Clocked by one of my cabs today after I asked them to check the fare on behalf of Rangers.

Next.

Leanne
12-Apr-10, 17:43

ahh poor northerner is hard done by like others if he keeps his neb outa other ppls buisness he wont get it snipped.

and for all the other snipers that have nothing more to do but tear ppls threads apart wick is not a city and never will be if you want to live city lives you should have stayed where you came from. the local taxi firms know that and they charge acc so they know best how to make a living

:roll: what a complete plonker!

Tubthumper
12-Apr-10, 17:45
Wick taxi drivers: I'd have a word with the driver of this wreck, as well as rangers1973, egregory, bonsballs and exweeker. They've done you no good at all!!

upolian
12-Apr-10, 17:51

who should stay 'where they came from'

CaithnessBikeRepairs
12-Apr-10, 17:55
My partner was charged £14 on easter saturday for going from Skinandi's to Castlegreen Rd with one drop off to Scrabster. That was a rip off

Tubthumper
12-Apr-10, 18:56
BikeRepairs:
So that's Skinandi's to Scrabster (about 3 miles) then back to Castletgreen (2 miles) at about 2am on Easter Sunday. For £14. After spending how much to get into Skins, and how much on bevvy??

And your point is?? :roll:

black16i
12-Apr-10, 20:29
BikeRepairs:
So that's Skinandi's to Scrabster (about 3 miles) then back to Castletgreen (2 miles) at about 2am on Easter Sunday. For £14. After spending how much to get into Skins, and how much on bevvy??

And your point is?? :roll:

i think the point is...........that £14 is way excessive for a taxi to go less that 5 miles...........

Tubthumper
12-Apr-10, 20:31
You might be right. Can a Thurso taxi tell us how much a 2am on easter sunday 5 mile trip would cost?

LMS
12-Apr-10, 21:35

I have read some quite bizarre posts in my time but this one takes the biscuit! We have a self-proclaimed 'exweeker' who states his location as Austria telling people that the should have stayed where the came from in a rant about local taxi firms. If you are that darned concerned about local issues you should have stayed in Wick, or should that be Royston Vasey. (Royston Vasey - League of Gentlemen for those not familiar with the name, they are quite particular about 'locals' there too!)

Anyway that said, I am off now to where I came from. Oh, forgot, born here, mother born here, father born here, grandparents born here, great-granparents..............nowhere to go. Aaah, paternal-maternal great grandfather was from Kinlochewe, better go there.

thebigman
12-Apr-10, 22:07
Hate to spoil things by bringing up the facts but licence conditions are here - http://www.highland.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/0EE1F799-7B18-4EA3-9312-0116727AC18C/0/taxioperatorsconditions.pdf

Current charges are here - http://www.highland.gov.uk/businessinformation/licensing/civicgovernmentlicensing/taxifarereview/

And anyone who has a problem in the Caithness area with overcharging, private hires picking up from the street or rank (unless previously arranged) should give TEC Services a call on 01955 607737.

Venture
12-Apr-10, 22:09
I have read some quite bizarre posts in my time but this one takes the biscuit! We have a self-proclaimed 'exweeker' who states his location as Austria telling people that the should have stayed where the came from in a rant about local taxi firms.

Austria - Exweeker now living in Pulteney more like it.:roll: Smack bang in the middle of the province of Murchie no less. [lol]

scorrie
12-Apr-10, 22:14
Hate to spoil things by bringing up the facts but licence conditions are here - http://www.highland.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/0EE1F799-7B18-4EA3-9312-0116727AC18C/0/taxioperatorsconditions.pdf

Current charges are here - http://www.highland.gov.uk/businessinformation/licensing/civicgovernmentlicensing/taxifarereview/

And anyone who has a problem in the Caithness area with overcharging, private hires picking up from the street or rank (unless previously arranged) should give TEC Services a call on 01955 607737.

Cheers bigman.

I note the latter page contains a section on Soiling Charges. It's a pity some of the clowns on here couldn't be charged for "Soiling" their posts ;)

Tubthumper
12-Apr-10, 22:17
Bike Repairs & Black16i
I stand corrected, it should have been less than £12 for the run to Scrabster & Castlegreen.

unicorn
12-Apr-10, 22:26
Wow a lot of neg rep flying around, I see red boxes :eek:
I think taxi charges have gone up recently anyway or assume they have as hubby recently got a taxi from Richards garage to spring park area and it was £6. I would assume with fuel the price it is now, the charges are going to reflect this, everyone has to make a decent living.

telfordstar
12-Apr-10, 22:32
Wick taxi drivers: I'd have a word with the driver of this wreck, as well as rangers1973, egregory, bonsballs, telfordstar and exweeker. They've done you no good at all!!

Why me!!!!!!!!!!!

Tubthumper
12-Apr-10, 22:44
Oops. Thought you'd chipped in with the losers TS, I'll go an edit.
Excuse me on that. :( I'm slipping up, need my bed.

Blarney
12-Apr-10, 22:45
I have read some quite bizarre posts in my time but this one takes the biscuit! We have a self-proclaimed 'exweeker' who states his location as Austria telling people that the should have stayed where the came from in a rant about local taxi firms. If you are that darned concerned about local issues you should have stayed in Wick, or should that be Royston Vasey. (Royston Vasey - League of Gentlemen for those not familiar with the name, they are quite particular about 'locals' there too!)

Anyway that said, I am off now to where I came from. Oh, forgot, born here, mother born here, father born here, grandparents born here, great-granparents..............nowhere to go. Aaah, paternal-maternal great grandfather was from Kinlochewe, better go there.
My thoughts exactly LMS, though I would imagine that Austria would be a bit more discerning about who they would allow to become resident in their country.

Blarney
12-Apr-10, 22:48
Austria - Exweeker now living in Pulteney more like it.:roll: Smack bang in the middle of the province of Murchie no less. [lol]
That figures!!!!! [lol]

exweeker
12-Apr-10, 23:00
Tarriff 2 Camps car park to half way up Kennedy via Macrae St: £4.50 on the meter.

Clocked by one of my cabs today after I asked them to check the fare on behalf of Rangers.

Next.

fair play to ya northerner £4-50 meter but as you know and all wickers know the local firms dont use meters as you said in another post you dont charge meter prices to survive you have to charge same as rest. or else you will have to work 7 days lol

tubthumper what you on about are you trying to cause a riot

Tubthumper
12-Apr-10, 23:12
tubthumper what you on about are you trying to cause a riot
I thought you'd come wading in on the 'bloody incomers and bash Northener' side, but I see you were just joshing and have got the decency to acnowledge his efforts. Fair play to you too! :D

If only BonsBalls was as decent!

northener
12-Apr-10, 23:21
fair play to ya northerner £4-50 meter but as you know and all wickers know the local firms dont use meters as you said in another post you dont charge meter prices to survive you have to charge same as rest. or else you will have to work 7 days lol

Yup, fair point, old chap.

Taxis can charge what they want under the meter rate. The only rate set is the maximum. The problem we have in this instance is still (after a couple of thousand views onsite...excellent free advertising for me:Razz) no bod knows what this fare was exactly. What does that say to you?

Anyway, I must go. I have to take 25 Latvian jugglers along with their bicycles and ladders from Wick to Helmsdale for £8.
I would charge more...but if I did someone would be popping up on here to accuse me of overcharging.[lol]

Kevin Milkins
12-Apr-10, 23:29
Anyway, I must go. I have to take 25 Latvian jugglers along with their bicycles and ladders from Wick to Helmsdale for £8.

Is that £8 each?:lol:

At least it's a step in the right direction.:roll:

northener
12-Apr-10, 23:40
Is that £8 each?

At least it's a step in the right direction.

Stick to being Welsh, Kev. Comedy doesn't suit Welshpersons.
http://www.ciaranbrown.com/doddanddickie140.jpg

And take your hand out of that poor midgets' jacksey.:Razz

Kevin Milkins
13-Apr-10, 00:02

And take your hand out of that poor midgets' jacksey.:Razz

Now, he's another one that doesn't like paying his taxi's.:lol:

Turquoise
13-Apr-10, 00:03
Back on track please boys or there may be a charge for the diversion!!! [lol]

Bazeye
13-Apr-10, 02:01
When I was working at vulcan in 1985 we used to order a taxi from Ormlie Lodge to the Marine every Friday night. cant remember the taxi but the driver used o come in the bar and have a dram while he waited for us to sup up. Because we were on decent money at the time we used to give him £1 each, so after a couple of weeks or so he used to let 7 or 8 of us pile into his 5 seater. Dont think hed get away with that nowadays though, somehow.

A Barrow taxi drivers view on things.
taxistorys.blogspot.com/

riggerboy
13-Apr-10, 11:05
Back on track please boys or there may be a charge for the diversion!!! [lol]

as long as the diversion isnt to portgower i think we will be fine

no theres a thought how much is a taxi in the middle o the night to portgower, ????? and if you got out of portgower would the same taxi take you home for free ??????

katarina
13-Apr-10, 11:37
I live in wick and have never been charged more than £3.50 for a taxi, and that after midnight. they used to do frop off for nothing if on the way, now they all charge, but I guess it's only fair.

Kodiak
13-Apr-10, 12:34
I live in wick and have never been charged more than £3.50 for a taxi, and that after midnight. they used to do frop off for nothing if on the way, now they all charge, but I guess it's only fair.

Most people in Wick and Thurso believe that it is perfectly OK to get in a Taxi and expect the driver to drive to two or more locations all for one price, no matter what the meter says.

In no other profession would anyone in Wick or Thurso dream of not paying in full for services. Also in no other county would this happen either.

By expecting Taxi Drivers to charge, or I should say not to charge for Drop off's is just the same as getting a Painter and decorator in to decorate your Living Room. Then turn around just as he is anout to finish and say "Oh while you are here just paint the Kitchen as welll and all for the same price"

You know exactly what the reply would be and quite rightly too. So you should not expect to get in a Taxi give them one destination and say "Oh yes you can drop my friend here off at ......... and expect him not to charge you for the drop off.

If you are not willing to pay the going rate for a Taxi then the answer is, "Do not hire a Taxi, just walk." Simples !!

scorrie
13-Apr-10, 16:15
Horrific scenes in New York as a holidaying rangers1873 gets charged a "few bucks" extra by some Bronx wide-boy:-

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i237/scorrie57/090409cabtasteslikeburning.jpg

rangers1873 was quoted as saying:-

"It was definitely a yellow taxi that ripped me off!!"

scorrie
13-Apr-10, 16:26

And take your hand out of that poor midgets' jacksey.

I thought Doddy was a Scouser?

Anyway, this great Welsh Comic pictured below manages to sum himself up with one simple gesture of his hand!! ;)

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i237/scorrie57/33.jpg

Tubthumper
13-Apr-10, 16:56
I thought the bloke with the yellow hair and roots was funnier.

Ash87
13-Apr-10, 17:43
I didnt realise a few quid meant anything like £2 or £20, Thats a hellva leap, I always thought a few meant 3 or there abouts so the run would of cost round about £7 which quite frankley for a town run and one stop is a disgrace.

I agree... seems very expensive for a town run!!
When I lived in Edinburgh the taxi drivers sometimes thought I was a tourist I think, and they used to try and take de tours to make it more expensive... b*ggers!!

Mr P Cannop
13-Apr-10, 18:28
he wont last long if hes still doing this

northener
13-Apr-10, 19:02
Well, the original poster still has yet to come back and say exactly what was charged.

So I'd be inclined to err on the side of caution rather than pull someone apart on partial information. Especially when you're talking about someones livelihood.
I don't think anyone on here would be happy if their reputation was being demolished by people who haven't even been told the full story. Would they?

Tubthumper
13-Apr-10, 19:12
BonsBalls was nastily critical as well. Wonder if he'll have the guts to come forward?

Moira
13-Apr-10, 19:36
Well, the original poster still has yet to come back and say exactly what was charged.

So I'd be inclined to err on the side of caution rather than pull someone apart on partial information. Especially when you're talking about someones livelihood.
I don't think anyone on here would be happy if their reputation was being demolished by people who haven't even been told the full story. Would they?

Funny you should say that northener. I was thinking along the same lines.

The other funny thing is that I've seen it happen before on these forums. I think it might be something to do with the fact that the truth and full information/details of the situation/incident usually gets in the way of a good rant. This is, of course, IMHO, without prejudice, etc...... :lol:

egregory
13-Apr-10, 21:27
I have via your private messages and response, did you forget to say!!!!!!!!!!!!, Oh by the way it was not Roy it was me, Elaine and my mother who has sadly passed away.Yes we was charged £20.00 but we never said by you.

northener
13-Apr-10, 21:49
I have via your private messages and response, did you forget to say!!!!!!!!!!!!, Oh by the way it was not Roy it was me, Elaine and my mother who has sadly passed away.Yes we was charged £20.00 but we never said by you.

EGregory.

With respect, I think you'll find i just said 'The original poster' - in other words the person who started the thread complaining about the fare to kennedy - not yourself.

I'll continue our discussion as we have up to now - via PM's.

egregory
13-Apr-10, 21:54
I have replied several times, by private message several times, because thats how he did it ! To no avail

northener
13-Apr-10, 22:14
I have replied several times, by private message several times, because thats how he did it ! To no avail

Who's 'he'? I have no idea what you are blathering on about now.

OK, you seem determined to do this in the 'open air' as it were....so....

I've asked you repeatedly via PM to supply me with details of when exactly my firm allegedly took you back to Lyth so I could double check my records, I also asked you for a rough description of the vehicle and the driver - bearing in mind both my Taxis have 'KPH Taxis' plastered all over them in big letters....

You've neatly avoided supplying me with that information in every single PM you've sent and spent most of the time backpedalling and shifting your line. I can categorically state I have NEVER dropped off three people from Keiss pub to your house - ever, neither has my driver.
And as for me saying I would phone you? Damn right I would if you didn't respond. That wasn't a threat - that was a fact.

I've no further interest in dealing with this endless blustering on your part. I've given you ample opportunity to back up your allegation with fact and you have refused point blank. I know I'm in the clear, I know my firm is in the clear and I really couldn't give a monkeys what anyone else charged you.

Goodbye.

egregory
13-Apr-10, 22:43
You know I have because it seems you prefer to do business by private mail (uh how many have I sent you) I am know deciding not to play your silly games anymore.

upolian
13-Apr-10, 22:44
northener wins,waheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey!!

egregory
13-Apr-10, 22:50
I am fed up posting, it was £20.00 I am not changing it thats what it was.

Phill
13-Apr-10, 23:03
northener wins,waheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey!!

northener 'won' many posts ago.

upolian
13-Apr-10, 23:06
northener 'won' many posts ago.

He won before the thread was started to be honest[lol]

ShelleyCowie
13-Apr-10, 23:08
I am fed up posting, it was £20.00 I am not changing it thats what it was.

Sorry in advance...but im surprised he hasnt charged you £20 alone for wasting his time on here, i know i would.

Northener has clearly stated he wanted to do that via PM. And if he wasnt replying to your PM's within a time limit then maybe thats because he was busy.

Northener has also stated that you have not supplied the information he has requested to try and get to the bottom of it for you. So really thats your own problem for not playing nice [disgust] If you didnt want his help, then dont post.

Simples! ;)

Boozeburglar
13-Apr-10, 23:16
I think some would do well to remember what accusing someone like this on a public forum might undeservedly do to their reputation.

Moira
13-Apr-10, 23:25
Have not meet an honest one, maybe where we live, 3 miles for £20.00 pound, you know who you are!!!!!! Keiss to Lyth!!!!!

I'd like to remind egregory what they posted previously on this thread.

That was before they had the audacity to question my innocent observation by Private Message. The Private Message was fairly, pleasantly, worded so no worries there. I guess it was not an attempt to intimidate me. That would have been funny. :)

Tubthumper
13-Apr-10, 23:30
I think some would do well to remember what accusing someone like this on a public forum might undeservedly do to their reputation.
I think that statement applies in both directions, apart from the 'undeservedly' bit.

BonsBalls
14-Apr-10, 00:38
BonsBalls was nastily critical as well. Wonder if he'll have the guts to come forward?

Guts come forward say wat Tubthumper? i said what i thought i dont go round kissing peoples asses like certain people on this thread

Leanne
14-Apr-10, 00:56
I think that statement applies in both directions, apart from the 'undeservedly' bit.

Respect for someone can be lost or gained by comments like seen in this thread....

Creme_Egg
14-Apr-10, 10:55
Me thinks a lot of 'Rep' has been lost and gained iin this thread?......

Amy-Winehouse
14-Apr-10, 11:56

Yes, I did alright for rep off this thread....Wooohoooo Im off to get legless & celebrate my few points of rep & then get a taxi up the road. And I know which Taxi firm to call ;) Ill get the truth about the OP`s fare too

Oh the Banter [lol]

Tubthumper
14-Apr-10, 12:39
Guts come forward say wat Tubthumper? i said what i thought i dont go round kissing peoples asses like certain people on this thread
Since you made false and abusive statements that have affected someone's business, and since you hate incomers, and since you've kind of brought the Wick taxis into disrepute, maybe you might like to say something like, 'Whoops, sorry about that,' like real people would?
Or is common decency and facing up to your mistakes too close to 'kissing ass' for your liking?
You said what you thought - I'm just glad that most Wickers don't think like you.

Bazeye
14-Apr-10, 13:24

Real life 'Rep' is more important than a few red or green boxes on here.

Bloo
14-Apr-10, 16:46
If you dont like it, walk. I would pay that price, wouldnt bother me at all.

Mr P Cannop
14-Apr-10, 16:53
If you dont like it, walk. I would pay that price, wouldnt bother me at all.

£6 for a town run ??

Bloo
14-Apr-10, 16:56
£6 for a town run ??
Alot of money? As ive said, it doesnt bother ME but i dont take taxis. £6 for a once off taxi i would pay. I wouldnt pay it if i needed a taxi everyday, i would come to my senses and walk. If he claims he takes taxis everywhere, all the time (which he hasnt)then i suggest a car of your own or walking. Fair enough its a night out but still, lots of folk walk home after a night out drinking. Although not the best idea if you are absolutely hammered!

Mr P Cannop
14-Apr-10, 17:05
Alot of money? As ive said, it doesnt bother ME but i dont take taxis. £6 for a once off taxi i would pay. I wouldnt pay it if i needed a taxi everyday, i would come to my senses and walk. If he claims he takes taxis everywhere, all the time (which he hasnt)then i suggest a car of your own or walking. Fair enough its a night out but still, lots of folk walk home after a night out drinking. Although not the best idea if you are absolutely hammered!

aye i agree but not to £6 for a town run

Bloo
14-Apr-10, 17:13
I havent read the entire thread so excuse me if ive missed out the name, but what taxi did you take? Last taxi i took was £3 from one side of Thurso to other. Took it from Viewfirth area right up to springpark.

bish667
14-Apr-10, 17:22
I dont like paying taxi fares, so i dont take taxi's, simple, even when i dont have a car i have a pushbike and I have feet.

unicorn
14-Apr-10, 17:22
I had no problem with it, it was snowy and was dropping off a hire car never normally use taxi's so was happy to pay rather than freeze.

scorrie
14-Apr-10, 17:52
£6 for a town run ??

The famous £6 rears its head again. Nobody confirmed the actual charge but £6 has become the "Official" org figure on this one.

Can anyone confirm that the actual charge was "Unwell Octopus"

ie "Sick Squid" ;)

upolian
14-Apr-10, 17:54

nice avatar ;)

lasher
14-Apr-10, 19:08
Has anyone got a taxi in aberdeen, then you'll no about expensive taxi's!!

Leanne
14-Apr-10, 19:48
The famous £6 rears its head again. Nobody confirmed the actual charge but £6 has become the "Official" org figure on this one.

And the fact that it was a bank holiday at night seems to have been forgotten. If it were a day journey, not on a bank holiday it may have only been 3-4. If you want to go out and socialise on a BH then you have to pay for the taxi driver who has to work :(

mrlennie
14-Apr-10, 19:49
This thread just makes me wanna try one of northerners taxi's...Sounds like an amazing experience[lol]

northener
14-Apr-10, 19:50
This thread just makes me wanna try one of northerners taxi's...Sounds like an amazing experience[lol]

Sssshhh...only 'regulars' know about the 'experiences';)

Anfield
14-Apr-10, 20:17
Has anyone got a taxi in aberdeen, then you'll no about expensive taxi's!!

At the Grand National last weekend, some taxi passengers were charged £60 for a 5 mile journey, which should have cost about £9.00.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-news/local-news/2010/04/14/aintree-grand-national-taxi-drivers-investigated-over-rip-off-fairs-100252-26236929/

There is one born every minute

ducati
14-Apr-10, 21:55
At the Grand National last weekend, some taxi passengers were charged £60 for a 5 mile journey, which should have cost about £9.00.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-news/local-news/2010/04/14/aintree-grand-national-taxi-drivers-investigated-over-rip-off-fairs-100252-26236929/

There is one born every minute

Scallies :roll:[lol]

Phill
14-Apr-10, 21:55
I dont like paying taxi fares, so i dont take taxi's, simple, even when i dont have a car i have a pushbike and I have feet.

Know where your coming from there, I don't use taxis.
I have a wifey that is perfectly capable reasonably OK at driving and can fetch me back from the hostelry.

Phill
14-Apr-10, 21:57

So northener was moonlighting on his weekend off then :eek::eek:

:Razz

pung
14-Apr-10, 22:18
Im a thurso taxi driver. an ex wicker and I would say for the distance travelled by the shortest route £5 would be be a fair price.:roll:

northener
15-Apr-10, 09:19
So northener was moonlighting on his weekend off then :eek:

False beard, dark glasses....dodgy fake Scouse accent.;)

Kevin Milkins
15-Apr-10, 09:36
So northener was moonlighting on his weekend off then :eek:

Hey, hey, now come on fellas, calm down, calm down.:lol:

Anfield
16-Apr-10, 11:09
Fascinating to note that there are more than 36,000 cab drivers in New York

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8624817.stm

ducati
16-Apr-10, 11:31
Fascinating to note that there are more than 36,000 cab drivers in New York

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8624817.stm

That's more than the population of Caithness :lol:

Creme_Egg
17-Apr-10, 09:15
Thank god this thread is done!

GLENELG
18-Apr-10, 00:19
Got a Taxi from Tescos to Staxigoe on thursday for only £3.I think the Taxi was a Mondeo[lol]