PDA

View Full Version : Not being paid for overtime.

cuddlepop
06-Apr-10, 17:40
It seems to me that employer are just taking advantage of this recession and abusing their workers by not paying them for any overtime they do.

I dont mean salaried workers just your average hourly rated guys.

The more they do the more is expected "free" and everyones too scared to speak out incase they lose their job.:mad:

We dont need an election we need a flamin reveloution.:Razz

buggyracer
06-Apr-10, 18:30
Go and find another job then.........:confused

loganbiffy
06-Apr-10, 18:48
Go and find another job then.........:confused

Great solution in a time when there is hardly any jobs out there. :p

buggyracer
06-Apr-10, 18:50
Great solution in a time when there is hardly any jobs out there. :p

exactly ;) :lol:

im behind you
06-Apr-10, 18:55
if there doing over time then they should speak up. cant see why they would get the sack or else they are not on a contract. and there is jobs out there you just have to go out looking for it. some people just think they are above them selfs to go and do some of the jobs that are going.we cant all be fussy.

Commore
06-Apr-10, 19:07
It seems to me that employer are just taking advantage of this recession and abusing their workers by not paying them for any overtime they do.

I dont mean salaried workers just your average hourly rated guys.

The more they do the more is expected "free" and everyones too scared to speak out incase they lose their job.:mad:

We dont need an election we need a flamin reveloution.:Razz

Seems to me that too many would be employers are hiding behind the recession,
some are only willing to pay the national miniumum wage and are in effect cutting off their noses to spite their faces,
as people simply, are worth more than that.

Aaldtimer
07-Apr-10, 03:32
Unfortunately, the Minimium Wage has now become the Standard Wage.[disgust]

Metalattakk
07-Apr-10, 03:41
Go and find another job then.........

Great solution in a time when there is hardly any jobs out there.

exactly ;) :lol:

Aye. And there's the rub. ;)

RecQuery
07-Apr-10, 07:45
Wow, inane and asinine vitriol on an Internet forum; on Caithness.org even, who'd ah thunk it.

Anyway, could you maybe convince them to give you it in extra days off or something? that might be a bit easier if you don't want to rock the boat too much.

cuddlepop
07-Apr-10, 07:53
The days are long gone when you could pick and choose a job now your lucky if you can even find a job and then when you do if you expect to be treated fairly "your shown the door".
If only it was as easy as finding another job.:confused

There is a well known garage in Inverness, who is making it difficult for an employee,who has twenty years service to "work".Work is drying out and because of his experience he's more expensive to employee.

You have a care sector who employes nurses who cant find work before anyone else as support workers, on little over £6 an hour.

Teachers taking auxillary posts.

Delivery drivers doing 12 hour shifts but only being paid for 9, aswell as working through their lunch just to finish .

No matter who is in government next month this has to be "sorted" as its only going to get worse.[disgust]

cuddlepop
07-Apr-10, 07:55
Wow, inane and asinine vitriol on an Internet forum; on Caithness.org even, who'd ah thunk it.

Anyway, could you maybe convince them to give you it in extra days off or something? that might be a bit easier if you don't want to rock the boat too much.

Any hint that your asking to be treated "fairly" your "poiletly";) told there's plenty others willing to take your job as unemployment is so high over here.:(

Commore
07-Apr-10, 10:41
The days are long gone when you could pick and choose a job now your lucky if you can even find a job and then when you do if you expect to be treated fairly "your shown the door".
If only it was as easy as finding another job.:confusedI disagree, with that.

There is a well known garage in Inverness, who is making it difficult for an employee,who has twenty years service to "work".Work is drying out and because of his experience he's more expensive to employee.

You have a care sector who employes nurses who cant find work before anyone else as support workers, on little over £6 an hour.

Teachers taking auxillary posts.

Delivery drivers doing 12 hour shifts but only being paid for 9, aswell as working through their lunch just to finish .

No matter who is in government next month this has to be "sorted" as its only going to get worse.[disgust]The government are not interested in fairness to the workers, they never were.

EDDIE
07-Apr-10, 17:35
If there not willing to pay overtime and your job requires overtime to complete a job what about asking about having flexi time instead if money is tight that way both party are meeting half way to resolve the problem.

I went to sawmill place yesterday and through no fault of the company they have no electric because the line is getting dug up for 1 day for repair so the owner of the place sent all his workers home because the place cant function without electric and he told all his workers that they will have 1 days holiday deducted from them through no fault of the workers and thats bad

ducati
07-Apr-10, 19:13
While I am sure that some employers see an opportunity to get more work for their money. Given current trading conditions I have to have some sympathy with the difficulty they have keeping people employed on wages.

The fact is margins are being squeezed from all sides and business just isn’t getting the same revenue this year as last year for the same sales. The chances are most are selling less than last year and the year before anyway so where does the money come from to employ people on the same basis? :(

windness
07-Apr-10, 21:01
[quote=cuddlepop;687232]It seems to me that employer are just taking advantage of this recession and abusing their workers by not paying them for any overtime they do.

The main people that suffer during a recession are the businesses. They are not taking advantage but are struggling to survive and without them people would be unemployed. Look around and see how many big stores have folded and you have no idea how many are hanging on by a string.

RecQuery
08-Apr-10, 08:00
I can sympathise with some businesses, but without knowing specifics its hard to judge. Also bad conditions don't give them the right to violate employment law or an employees contract.

cuddlepop
08-Apr-10, 08:24
I can sympathise with some businesses, but without knowing specifics its hard to judge. Also bad conditions don't give them the right to violate employment law or an employees contract.

With regards to some jobs when a person leaves they are just not being replaced and the excisting workload they had is given to someone else.
They then struggle to do their work plus the extra so a vicious circle starts.:(

Efficiency savings in the work place with regards to employee numbers only works if your over staffed in the first place.:confused

Alot of small companies dont even give out employee contracts so you've no protection what so ever but if your desperate to work.....:~(

Joefitz
08-Apr-10, 16:50
I've been on salary at this job for 10 tears, now, and I regularly work 50 hour weeks. No big deal, I get well paid, and I don't mind giving back, in these rocky times.
Anyone with a half decent job needs to look at himself really hard, and ask himself if he could do better elsewhere, in my opinion.
If you can, go do it, if not buckle up and get with the programme.