PDA

View Full Version : OS maps online

John Little
03-Apr-10, 09:39
I've had OS maps online before, but this new open data thing is terrific.

There's been no thread on this I think, so I'll take the liberty of posting a link here;
http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswebsite/opendata/viewer/

What a fantastic resource,

David Banks
03-Apr-10, 09:53
Sorry John, I enter KW14 or Thurso and don't get anything. Maybe I'm missing something.

John Little
03-Apr-10, 09:54
It might be case sensitive - I just tried the link and it worked from here. I suggest you check cap and num lock- otherwise I dont know.

bekisman
03-Apr-10, 12:01
Expect OS are opening up more as multimap and Google are gaining more of the market and more accessible?

Ricco
05-Apr-10, 08:30
Sorry, all I get is a set of pink boxes with X's in the corner.:(

scotsboy
05-Apr-10, 08:41
Couldn't get the search feature to work, but got the maps. Good resource, thanks.

annemarie482
05-Apr-10, 09:04
my house isn't on the map!:(

RecQuery
06-Apr-10, 07:43
There is http://www.openstreetmap.org/ also which is project to collect and compile mapping data.

badger
06-Apr-10, 12:32
I can't seem to make it work either. Putting in either a postcode or a place name it refreshes and goes back to the original blank. I can get a map by zooming in (it opens with the slider at the bottom) but it defaults to Berwick on Tweed every time! Maybe it's having teething troubles.

Errogie
06-Apr-10, 14:56
It's the old story, the map is only as good as the information that's been fed into it. I've got my name Sutherland on the name board at the bottom of the track to the house and lo and behold the O.S. must have taken a turn past and have now attached it as a location on their their map.

But on the other hand does that mean I'm now a laird and can take tea at Dunrobin and get paid to spend the afternoon snoozing in the House of Lords!

suzyq
07-Apr-10, 08:47
It's the old story, the map is only as good as the information that's been fed into it. I've got my name Sutherland on the name board at the bottom of the track to the house and lo and behold the O.S. must have taken a turn past and have now attached it as a location on their their map.

And why a lot of places in Wales were called 'Beware of The Dog'

ducati
07-Apr-10, 09:09
And why a lot of places in Wales were called 'Beware of The Dog'

[lol][lol][lol]

porshiepoo
07-Apr-10, 09:15
Brilliant link. Cheers. Shows my house. yay!