PDA

View Full Version : Oxford or Cambridge?

bekisman
02-Apr-10, 23:20
Ok so we're up here in the Far North (well most of us are?) but this is a British Institution..
My money is on Oxford..

Boozeburglar
02-Apr-10, 23:45
Cambridge for me, for family reasons.

I hope they both sink, bleeding snobs.

Metalattakk
03-Apr-10, 04:24
As a sporting event, The Boat Race has to be one of the most elitist and irrelevant that there is. It's like watching a football match between Haverford West and Bromley, but with players who are Members of The Lords.

Hang on, no, I've taken that too far...

It's like watching one bunch of 38 year old Americans who once went to a certain British college for a 'semester' rowing against another bunch of 38 year old Americans who once went to a different British college for a 'semester', to see who's the best at rowing between two 'British' college teams of 38 year old Americans.

Just had a look at the 'teams'. Of the eighteen participants, only six are British.

Well done lads.

dafi
03-Apr-10, 09:51
Oxford for me....cos we used to go to the rivereside club with sea scouts from time to time.

Its only the boat race, a traditional sporting fixture. For me its a great marker...Easter...boat race...grand national...the slippery slope to summer..

To call them snobs and the like seems to me to be little more than inverted snobery really.....is it them who are the snobs???

Oxford by three lengths!!!

Sara Jevo
03-Apr-10, 09:56
This is a thread about a rowing competition? Are there only two teams in it? Doesn't sound like much of a competition . . . or have I picked this up wrongly?

John Little
03-Apr-10, 09:57
Maybe this relates to the What is a Scot thread. I define as English - and I can honestly say I do not give a tinker's dam about the boat race. It might be the quintessence of Englishness, but it leaves me completely unmoved.

But I don't do sport at all.

golach
03-Apr-10, 10:08
But I don't do sport at all.

I would suspect Morris Dancing is more in your line John [lol]

marwill
03-Apr-10, 10:09
Have to say my money is on Oxford - like the Dark blues and I like to be different from the rest of the family.;)

John Little
03-Apr-10, 10:11
"I would suspect Morris Dancing is more in your line John"

Nope - you gotta have a beard and a beer belly for that...

northener
03-Apr-10, 10:16
Cambridge for me. I like rowing - although I haven't done any for years outside a gym.

I used to pull on the RN's 27ft whalers many years ago off Torpoint. Bloody great heavy boats, but you could make them fly with a good powerful crew, excellent fun.

golach
03-Apr-10, 10:17

Drat!!!! that means I have the physique to be a Morris Dancer :(

northener
03-Apr-10, 10:18

Oy! Nowt wrong with Morris Dancing!

David Banks
03-Apr-10, 10:21
Cambridge for me, for family reasons.

I hope they both sink, bleeding snobs.

I follow you, generally, I think, but what can you cheer for if they both bloody well sink (on the course that is) ?
I wonder, will their caps sedately float past the finnish line?

John Little
03-Apr-10, 10:36
"Oy! Nowt wrong with Morris Dancing!"

Didn't say there was - I just don't have the average Morris dancer's physique.

Mind you I did quite take to Gloucester Morris a few years ago. Some yobboes took the mick out of them and pushed a member of the group off step. So the Morrismen chased the yobs, caught two of them, beat them with staves and threw them into the pond in King's Square.

northener
03-Apr-10, 10:41
Drat!!!! that means I have the physique to be a Morris Dancer :(

Even worse for me..I used to have a beard, too.:(

But if I still lived doon Sooth in Nothamptonshire, I'd love to join this lot:
http://www.witchmen.com/

Saw them a few times, absolutely bonkers - you wouldn't want to meet them on a dark night:eek:.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgQ8mFcS1xk&feature=related

I'd guess they'll support Cambridge BTW......

northener
03-Apr-10, 10:42
[quote=John Little;685757.......Didn't say there was - I just don't have the average Morris dancer's physique.

Mind you I did quite take to Gloucester Morris a few years ago. Some yobboes took the mick out of them and pushed a member of the group off step. So the Morrismen chased the yobs, caught two of them, beat them with staves and threw them into the pond in King's Square.[/quote]

[lol]

They may look like a bunch o' jessies..but don't mess...;)

fender
03-Apr-10, 11:29
Give me the Ba game anyday.

annemarie482
03-Apr-10, 11:48
Oy! Nowt wrong with Morris Dancing!

there are only two things i'm allergic to............

cliff richard

and

morris dancers!

Tubthumper
03-Apr-10, 12:16
Just had a look at the 'teams'. Of the eighteen participants, only six are British...
So does that show that our greatest academic institutions contain few Brits, or that they contain few Brits who are able to do a bit of physical activity?
Yet another symptom of our nation's problems perhaps?

Alan16
03-Apr-10, 12:34
It's like watching one bunch of 38 year old Americans who once went to a certain British college for a 'semester' rowing against another bunch of 38 year old Americans who once went to a different British college for a 'semester', to see who's the best at rowing between two 'British' college teams of 38 year old Americans.

Just had a look at the 'teams'. Of the eighteen participants, only six are British.

Well done lads.

I can understand your quotes around British, but "teams" and "semester" I don't get. They are teams. And semesters exist. :confused

Also, considering how multinational universities are, especially ones such as Oxford and Cambridge which are two of the top three in England, and of the top 10 in the world, one third of the competitors being British is not actually all that bad.

So does that show that our greatest academic institutions contain few Brits, or that they contain few Brits who are able to do a bit of physical activity?
Yet another symptom of our nation's problems perhaps?

Wow, that's impressive. You managed to get to the conclusion you wanted in only two sentences, and you made it seem like it makes sense... Universities, especially such prestigious ones as Oxford and Cambridge, accept only the best students. I would imagine that O&C always take in at least a certain number of home-grown students, so I would say that's not the problem. I imagine it is also nothing to do with a lack of physical fitness in the British students, especially considering that some of the rowers come from the other side of the pond where fitness problems are, if anything worse than they are here. These are international institutions who accept some of the most intelligent (and yes, probably rich as well) people in the world, and as is fairly obvious from reading even one article, some of the people they accept are world class athletes as well. For an event so soaked (...) in history as this one, they're not going to field British students simply because they are British institutions, they are going to field the best possible students. Two of the rowers for Oxford (I think, but I don't really care so I might be wrong) are Olympic rowers. Should they have given those places to British students instead so they can please people like you or should they do what they've done, and give them to the best rowers? It's simple really.

Alan16
03-Apr-10, 12:36
Oh yeah, and I don't care who wins. Watching men row a boat for what seems like numbers hours? No thanks.

Tubthumper
03-Apr-10, 13:19
Wow, that's impressive. You managed to get to the conclusion you wanted in only two sentences, and you made it seem like it makes sense...
You seem a bit agitated. If you look closely at my post, you'll notice I didn't reach a conclusion, merely posed a couple of questions.

Universities, especially such prestigious ones as Oxford and Cambridge, accept only the best students. I would imagine that O&C always take in at least a certain number of home-grown students, so I would say that's not the problem.
Certainly, one of the great things about the UK's education system is that it has always been open to students from overseas. As to whether only the 'best' students get in, I would suggest that, as in the past, certain people still manage to get into the Oxford or Cambridge institutions based on who they are or how much they can pay, rather than how clever they are.

I imagine it is also nothing to do with a lack of physical fitness in the British students, especially considering that some of the rowers come from the other side of the pond where fitness problems are, if anything worse than they are here.
However, over there they tend to win a lot more world titles per head of population than we do.

These are international institutions who accept some of the most intelligent (and yes, probably rich as well) people in the world, and as is fairly obvious from reading even one article, some of the people they accept are world class athletes as well. Well that's actually fairly obvious. I don't remember actually objecting to someone being selected for the athletic ability, but because I'm not very clever I might have slipped up in my english. perhaps you could clarify just where I went wrong?
However part of the marketability of O and C has always been that they are great 'British' institutions. They are part of the 'British' system, they receive capital funding, student assistance and research grants from' British' government, using 'British' taxpayers money. And if I remember rightly, O & C were right at the forefront of the whining when there were budget cuts proposed in the generous funding they receive. Ergo, they might be international but they exist at our expense, therefore as a UK taxpayer I can say what I want.

For an event so soaked (...) in history as this one, they're not going to field British students simply because they are British institutions, they are going to field the best possible students. Two of the rowers for Oxford (I think, but I don't really care so I might be wrong) are Olympic rowers. Well yes, good for them, did anyone say otherwise??

Should they have given those places to British students instead so they can please people like you [my bold] or should they do what they've done, and give them to the best rowers? It's simple really.
Ah, now we get to the kicker. Please clarify what you mean by 'People like me'.

Assessor's report: 3/10 Poor show, should have read the post and thought before replying. However could have olympic potential (assuming suitable development opportunities are offered, e.g. at a reputable higher education establishment), for jumping (to conclusions) and getting animated (for no apparent reason). Could be held back by chip on shoulder though.

bekisman
03-Apr-10, 13:43
Suppose got an affinity for the rowers - no, not cause I went to Uni, (I didn't) but know well the route the of the 'Boat Race' - wonder if anyone else on here has done the D-W (Devizes Westminster Canoe Race)?

They started today, hundreds of kayakers set out from Devizes to participate in the UK’s toughest, open to all endurance event The non-stop race covering 125-miles. No sleep, no rest, eating and drinking on the move. Non-stop means non-stop. The fastest complete the course in around 17 hours, others will take around 24-hours, happy to have completed one of the toughest, open-to-all endurance races on the planet.

The course sets out from Devizes, heading along the Kennet & Avon Canal to Reading, then down the Thames to Teddington ending just downstream of Westminster Bridge. The event takes kayakers to the limit of mental and physical endurance, battling against the steady and inevitable onset of physical depletion. It is the longest non-stop kayaking marathon in the world. . Close to 450 people in single and double kayaks are expected to take part in the 2010 race.

Mrs Beks and I did it in 1983, and said never ever again, but being rather silly did it again in 1984.. :roll:

Tubthumper
03-Apr-10, 14:05
Suppose got an affinity for the rowers - no, not cause I went to Uni, (I didn't) but know well the route the of the 'Boat Race' - wonder if anyone else on here has done the D-W (Devizes Westminster Canoe Race)? They started today, hundreds of kayakers set out from Devizes to participate in the UK’s toughest, open to all endurance event The non-stop race covering 125-miles. No sleep, no rest, eating and drinking on the move. Non-stop means non-stop. The fastest complete the course in around 17 hours, others will take around 24-hours, happy to have completed one of the toughest, open-to-all endurance races on the planet.
Mrs Beks and I did it in 1983, and said never ever again, but being rather silly did it again in 1984.. :roll:

Respect! Anyone who does any of that boat/ rowing/ canoeing stuff is well 'ard! Total body workout (or wipeout?)

bekisman
03-Apr-10, 14:35
Forgot to mention you pay to enter too (this year £135)
1983 was the worst one for extreme conditions, snow, sleet, rain;, out of 174 starters only 86 of us finished. We took caffeine pills as towards the end, your mind goes a bit funny - one section was a more or less straight part of the river, it was 10 miles long and we took 1 hour to paddle it, we could not, for the life of us work out how fast we were going in MPH.
It's not a direct paddle; 77 portages out and around locks is a wee bit knackering too.

Bazeye
03-Apr-10, 14:48
The year the Titanic sank, so did the Oxford and Cambridge boats. :eek:

Tubthumper
03-Apr-10, 14:55
I mind a few years ago one of them crashed into a barge before the start, and sank. My how we laughed!

bekisman
03-Apr-10, 14:59

You're right, also looks like Cambridge has sunk more often: 1859(cam) . 1925(ox) and 1978(cam) - remember that one..

Alan16
03-Apr-10, 15:00

And 2 years later WW1 started. It can't just be coincidence!!! 2 boats. 2 years. Each person had 2 legs, 2 arms, 2 eyes! Patterns, I see patterns!!! :eek:

Tubthumper
03-Apr-10, 15:03
And 2 years later WW1 started. It can't just be coincidence!!! 2 boats. 2 years. Each person had 2 legs, 2 arms, 2 eyes! Patterns, I see patterns!!! :eek:
Oh God, no!! Not the conspiracies again!!:lol:

Alan16
03-Apr-10, 15:04
Oh God, no!! Not the conspiracies again!!:lol:

But it CAN'T be just coincidence! :eek:

Tubthumper
03-Apr-10, 15:22
did you see the size of the Oxford captain?? :eek: Gerd Hamburger I think he's called, he must be 6'8" easy! He better remember to duck when they come to a bridge!

ducati
03-Apr-10, 15:28
You seem a bit agitated. If you look closely at my post, you'll notice I didn't reach a conclusion, merely posed a couple of questions.

Certainly, one of the great things about the UK's education system is that it has always been open to students from overseas. As to whether only the 'best' students get in, I would suggest that, as in the past, certain people still manage to get into the Oxford or Cambridge institutions based on who they are or how much they can pay, rather than how clever they are.

However, over there they tend to win a lot more world titles per head of population than we do.
Well that's actually fairly obvious. I don't remember actually objecting to someone being selected for the athletic ability, but because I'm not very clever I might have slipped up in my english. perhaps you could clarify just where I went wrong?
However part of the marketability of O and C has always been that they are great 'British' institutions. They are part of the 'British' system, they receive capital funding, student assistance and research grants from' British' government, using 'British' taxpayers money. And if I remember rightly, O & C were right at the forefront of the whining when there were budget cuts proposed in the generous funding they receive. Ergo, they might be international but they exist at our expense, therefore as a UK taxpayer I can say what I want.

Well yes, good for them, did anyone say otherwise??

Ah, now we get to the kicker. Please clarify what you mean by 'People like me'.

Assessor's report: 3/10 Poor show, should have read the post and thought before replying. However could have olympic potential (assuming suitable development opportunities are offered, e.g. at a reputable higher education establishment), for jumping (to conclusions) and getting animated (for no apparent reason). Could be held back by chip on shoulder though.

You mean they let forners in?????? :mad:

Tubthumper
03-Apr-10, 15:46
Indeed. And they often have the nerve to do better than our own chappies! Dreadful situation all round. Place going to the dogs etc etc

bekisman
03-Apr-10, 16:50
Never mind Oxford, there's always next year..:(

canuck
03-Apr-10, 18:46

Yup! 4 Canadians this year!

dafi
03-Apr-10, 23:09
Sucks loosing whatever......

Cattach
04-Apr-10, 10:45
I mind a few years ago one of them crashed into a barge before the start, and sank. My how we laughed!

I wonder if you take part in sport and there was an occasion when it all went wrong. Tell us about it and we can all have a laught. Or maybe you are a couch potato.
Other peoples sports are often derided by people who see their sport or pastime as best and more worthwhile. But then as I say you maybe have not got a sport, couch potato.

Tubthumper
04-Apr-10, 10:52
I ran a 1/2 marathon a long time ago. I was a fit and healthy chap with endless confidence, hence my training and prep comprised going on the pop the night before.
Long story short, I finished the run (virtually on my knees) and almost comatose. My mates laughed, pointing to the blood running down the inside of my legs, the result of 13 and a bit miles of thigh-chafing which in my distress I failed to notice. Much hysterics.
Anyway, back to the block and my legs felt like lumps of lead. 'A nice hot bath with salt,' was the advice of a running-type comrade, ignorant of my issues in the undercarriage.
Cue screams of agony and me clutching the roof of the bath cubicle while yelling 'Ooooooh, soresoresoresore!!!' and doing that breath through the teeth thing.
I had to report sick the next day, walking like John Wayne. The doc said 'What the hell happened to you!?' I'm sure he'd have jailed me for being a deviant, contrary to Queens Regs, if he hadn't been laughing so hard at my bathtime story.
I'll be reprising the running bit at the Mey 10k, although I have learned of the benefits of Vaseline, and will avoid alcohol for at least a couple of days beforehand. Come along and laugh if you like, Cattach.

golach
04-Apr-10, 10:55
To me the Boat Race is good entertainment, but nothing compared the the Royal Navy Boat pulling regattas, that sport sorts the men from the boys, an old Royal Naval traditon. An 8 man team rowing a wooden boat called a Whaler, weighing at a ton+, have taken part in a few regattas in my day, whan I was younger and much fitter.

Tubthumper
04-Apr-10, 11:01
To me the Boat Race is good entertainment, but nothing compared the the Royal Navy Boat pulling regattas, that sport sorts the men from the boys, an old Royal Naval traditon. An 8 man team rowing a wooden boat called a Whaler, weighing at a ton+, have taken part in a few regattas in my day, whan I was younger and much fitter.
Heavy duty work that Golach. Were you in Bob Marley's team??

wait for it....

Bob Marley and the Whalers!!

Darrump....Psh!

I'll get my coat...

northener
04-Apr-10, 11:33

Happy days off Torpoint doing that, Golach.:Razz

golach
04-Apr-10, 11:37
Happy days off Torpoint doing that, Golach.:Razz
My Happy times boat pulling were at the RNR Regattas at Whale Island Northener:Razz

Cattach
04-Apr-10, 11:58
I ran a 1/2 marathon a long time ago. I was a fit and healthy chap with endless confidence, hence my training and prep comprised going on the pop the night before.
Long story short, I finished the run (virtually on my knees) and almost comatose. My mates laughed, pointing to the blood running down the inside of my legs, the result of 13 and a bit miles of thigh-chafing which in my distress I failed to notice. Much hysterics.
Anyway, back to the block and my legs felt like lumps of lead. 'A nice hot bath with salt,' was the advice of a running-type comrade, ignorant of my issues in the undercarriage.
Cue screams of agony and me clutching the roof of the bath cubicle while yelling 'Ooooooh, soresoresoresore!!!' and doing that breath through the teeth thing.
I had to report sick the next day, walking like John Wayne. The doc said 'What the hell happened to you!?' I'm sure he'd have jailed me for being a deviant, contrary to Queens Regs, if he hadn't been laughing so hard at my bathtime story.
I'll be reprising the running bit at the Mey 10k, although I have learned of the benefits of Vaseline, and will avoid alcohol for at least a couple of days beforehand. Come along and laugh if you like, Cattach.

Ha, Ha , Ha, I'll reply in a minute if I, Ha, Ha, Ha, stop, Ha,Ha, laughingggggg.
Maybe you should stick to the Potato and Spoon Race - stick tattie on spoon with vaseline - or maybe the couch potato is for you!