PDA

View Full Version : Film Not Dead Yet

Scout
30-Mar-10, 16:15
This was taken on Film camera. I find going back to film much more fun and lot more to think about then just point and shoot :D

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4043/4475871195_3c30f36d39.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2774/4476662308_02faed2ae5.jpg

Mystical Potato Head
30-Mar-10, 16:52
So,is digital photography just point and shoot then?I think some of the UK'S top landscape photographers would say there is just a little bit more to it than that.

Scout
30-Mar-10, 17:56
Sorry for up setting some one :lol: Well yes and no You can with the top of the range Digital camera just do that it will focus for you and adjust your settings Auto. Of Course you can manual do it on Digital but most do not. were most Film camera you have to set full AP ISO and focus. I am sure for people who have used Film and Digital most will say Digital is easy for that. But at the end you still need a good eye to take pictures ;)

changilass
30-Mar-10, 18:13
Lovely photos scout.

Mystical Potato Head
30-Mar-10, 18:51
Sorry for up setting some one :lol: Well yes and no You can with the top of the range Digital camera just do that it will focus for you and adjust your settings Auto. Of Course you can manual do it on Digital but most do not. were most Film camera you have to set full AP ISO and focus. I am sure for people who have used Film and Digital most will say Digital is easy for that. But at the end you still need a good eye to take pictures ;)

Not upset,just asked a question....i think any digital user who wants to improve their photography will NOT be using auto settings,especially those who have expensive DSLR's.

Auto settings usually end in one of the most common faults in photography,overexposed skies devoid of any detail and because the user is stuck using auto they dont know how to compensate for the bright sky,so the camera may try to do it all for you in auto settings but more often than not it cant,especially when shooting in bright or uneven light.

Scout
31-Mar-10, 06:20
Not upset,just asked a question....i think any digital user who wants to improve their photography will NOT be using auto settings,especially those who have expensive DSLR's.

Auto settings usually end in one of the most common faults in photography,overexposed skies devoid of any detail and because the user is stuck using auto they dont know how to compensate for the bright sky,so the camera may try to do it all for you in auto settings but more often than not it cant,especially when shooting in bright or uneven light.

Thank you changilass for your kind comments.

Mystical Potato Head I am not knocking any one with Digital cameras and those who want to improve Taking pictures. I was pointing out Film is not dead and it is fun but needs some thought to use. That is why lots of people in the passed did not take up Photography and they do now with Digital gives them that freedom to take pictures if they do not come out good you can delete

The Oracle
31-Mar-10, 08:44
..........they do now with Digital gives them that freedom to take pictures if they do not come out good you can delete

Or soon run it through Photoshop CS5 and have it make them good AUTOMATICALLY !

cazmanian_minx
31-Mar-10, 11:10
Film hasn't always been more technical - I had a point & shoot pocket film camera in the 80s and 90s and got some excellent results from it. I moved up to a Canon EOS film camera in the late 90s and then changed to a Canon EOS digital camera once they got good enough - the only real difference between the two EOS is the medium it records on, they can both be as manual or as automated as I choose to make them, so I don't think it's quite fair to say film is more technical, because those options were/are available on film cameras as well.

The debate about darkroom skills versus digital editing skills and the amount of manipulation that takes place is an interesting one though.

Scout
01-Apr-10, 07:51
Film hasn't always been more technical - I had a point & shoot pocket film camera in the 80s and 90s and got some excellent results from it. I moved up to a Canon EOS film camera in the late 90s and then changed to a Canon EOS digital camera once they got good enough - the only real difference between the two EOS is the medium it records on, they can both be as manual or as automated as I choose to make them, so I don't think it's quite fair to say film is more technical, because those options were/are available on film cameras as well.

The debate about darkroom skills versus digital editing skills and the amount of manipulation that takes place is an interesting one though.

You are true what you say. However I do not have that luxury option on my camera it is old fashion no auto on camera:~(. You have to work out lighting etc of course you can use hand held meter ;)

Scout
01-Apr-10, 13:04
Another Black and White photo

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4015/4480919345_92565d4d78.jpg