PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Hammer

Andy
29-Mar-10, 11:34
I've got a yellow hammer visiting my feeders how rare are they in Highland my book says they're not found here?

Kevin Milkins
29-Mar-10, 12:00
I've got a yellow hammer visiting my feeders how rare are they in Highland my book says they're not found here?

There has been reports and sightings of the Yellow Hammer visiting bird tables this far North, however , I have always found them very elusive when trying to get a photo of them.:confused

I have had some success with it's close cousin, the Yellow Axe, and here is a shot of this specimen that I got feeding at the table this morning.:roll:

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm196/kevinmilkins/YellowAxe.jpg?t=1269860111

Pterodroma
29-Mar-10, 14:23

Not rare, Andy, but a species that is under some pressure and declining. Breeds throughout Caithness where habitat is suitable and winter flocks of up to 20 are not uncommon in stubble fields with hedge borders. A few have been comming to my feeders all winter.

Pterodroma

Mystical Potato Head
29-Mar-10, 16:40

Seen them fairly regulary around Harpsdale in the roadside hedgerows.

Andy
30-Mar-10, 13:43
Thank you all for your responses Andy