PDA

View Full Version : Camelot, National Lottery Operator, sold to Canada

Kodiak
26-Mar-10, 00:08
Camelot sold to Canadian Pension fund for £400m. Lottery operator becomes latest British company snapped up by overseas buyers.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2010/mar/25/camelot-takeover-ontario-teachers-pension-plan

I just found out about this and I think it is terrible. I hope that when the licence comes up for renewal that the Government that is in power, takes the Licence away from Camelot.

joxville
26-Mar-10, 00:55
It still has to be approved by the Lotteries Commission, though I don't know how much clout they actually have.

Boozeburglar
26-Mar-10, 01:00
I was disgusted when they rejected Virgin.

Maybe they will eventually get due consideration?

theone
26-Mar-10, 01:06
I was disgusted when they rejected Virgin.

Maybe they will eventually get due consideration?

That, to me, was government corruption at it's worst.

Boozeburglar
26-Mar-10, 01:10
I don't know about that.

But it is in the nature of being a Virgin to keep getting rejected.

:)

ducati
26-Mar-10, 09:56
Weren't Virgin going to run it it as a not for profit organisation?

Evidently if Camelot are valued at £400m, that is just for what is left on their licence, they must me making absolute mega profit.

Stop buying lottory tickets and give the money to charities yourself then you will know they are getting it. :mad:

Anfield
26-Mar-10, 18:32
I would like to see a lottery play slip with check boxes on, so that player can decide what type of charity he/she wants their money to go to i.e. Arts/Environment/etc etc.

This would stop some of scams we hear so much about, including the best one since Thatcher decided to sell the nationalised industries to the people who already owned them i.e. us.

"..The inheritance comes two years after Mr Churchill 56, received 12.250,000 pounds of National lottery funds to secure his grandfather's papers for the nation although most historians assumed the country already owned them.."
THE TIMES NEWSPAPER
19th February 1997

How much in todays terms would £12.5 million be worth

http://www.churchill-society-london.org.uk/wscminor.html