PDA

View Full Version : HDR advice please

Julia
19-Mar-10, 14:17
I've been learning a wee bit about HDR but unfortunately my Nikon D40 does not have a bracketing function, I realise it's possible to do it manually but would rather not.

Can anyone recommend a decent DSLR with a bracketing function that won't break the bank?

Thanks

alan T
19-Mar-10, 14:37
hi Julia, I have been trying out hdr recently using a Nikon D80 which gives a maximum of 2 ev either side . It seems to work nicely using the inbuilt bracketting function.
best wishes , Alan T

North Light
20-Mar-10, 10:57
Julia,

As you say you can bracket using manual exposure, this once you get used to it is very quick and is the method I use rather than using auto bracketing function.
The exposure bar in the viewfinder display is easy to use, just set to Manual, set the aperture you want to use, and then use the command dial to set shutter speeds for each exposure, taking an image at each of the exposure setting you want, I would normally take five exposures from -2 to +2 at one EV steps. This is no less "fiddley" or difficult than setting the auto bracket function.

Deemac
20-Mar-10, 11:44
You could also consider shooting in RAW (NEF) file format and extracting a range of exposure images then re-combining them in your prefered HDR workflow.

nirofo
20-Mar-10, 17:52
You could also consider shooting in RAW (NEF) file format and extracting a range of exposure images then re-combining them in your prefered HDR workflow.

That's certainly the easiest way and is the way I do it for the occasional HDR images that I produce, at least doing it this way you don't have alignment problems afterwards and you can make as many ev steps as you like.

nirofo.