PDA

View Full Version : My New Invention

Kevin Milkins
11-Mar-10, 00:35
One of my favourite foods is baked potatoes, however, I am not fussy on having them microwaved and cooking them in the oven can take for ages and expensive to cook.

They say necessity is the mother of all inventions and I have invented the perfect solutions to meet my requirements.

I have a Trianco coal fired central heating system and when the fire is low and burning nice and red I like to make toast on it and I had a eureka moment while doing some toast.

I thought that if I could keep my baking potatoes about 4 inches away from the burning coal and wrapped in foil, then they would cook well and give me the taste and texture that I am looking for, so I made just the tool just for the job.

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm196/kevinmilkins/Tool.jpg?t=1268263586

It will fit any standard fire of this design and can be lifted on and off with the tool supplied with the fire for emptying the ash pan etc.
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm196/kevinmilkins/Cooking.jpg?t=1268263739

It takes a couple of goes to get used to how long to leave them in and how much heat to have, but it is a simple and easy device to use.

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm196/kevinmilkins/Cooked.jpg?t=1268263878

And these are the end result, a delicious baked potato.

Bobinovich
11-Mar-10, 00:44
Oh they look yummy Kevin - I can just taste them smothered in butter & cheddar cheese. Damn, now I'm hungry :mad:

Congrats on the idea - patent it quickly!

upolian
11-Mar-10, 00:44
what a great idea!!!!

changilass
11-Mar-10, 00:46
I want one.

PLEASE

Venture
11-Mar-10, 00:49
What a great idea Kevin. I want one too.:lol: How long do the tatties take roughly?

Kevin Milkins
11-Mar-10, 01:08
Lol, thank you for your enthusiasm.:Razz

I tried something new last night and Mrs M said "it would never work".

I bought some of the very large baking potatoes that they sell at Lidl and a tray of chicken drumsticks. I stabbed the spuds with a sharp knife a few times and put a chicken drumstick on the top, a little pepper & salt and then wrapped them in two layers of foil and left them for about one and three quater hours, Mrs M was wrong (again lol) they were both cooked well and absolutely delicious.:Razz

With the large baking potatoes + chicken, there was enough room to cook two, and took one and three quater hours on a low ish fire.

It took about an hour to cook the ones in the photo, but it doesn't really matter how long it takes if you have the fire on anyway and you put them on for when you want them.

Boozeburglar
11-Mar-10, 01:27
He he, excellent.

That reminds me of when my grampa made eggcups for goose eggs.

Of course, that was eggcellent.

:)

teenybash
11-Mar-10, 01:42
What a 'grate' idea....I think I know what I am having for supper tomorrow night!!!!!

Aaldtimer
11-Mar-10, 04:01
Any ideas for storage heaters Kev?:confused

kriklah
11-Mar-10, 09:02
i do a similar thing with the spuds, into the microwave to cook thru then wrap in foil and chuck on the open coal fire for 5 minutes. it just gives it that really wonderfull flavour

ShelleyCowie
11-Mar-10, 10:10
OMG they look soooooooooooo good! :eek:

I wish i had a coal fire now! I had 2 baked potatoes the other day, took them an hour and a half to cook in the oven. And they looked nowhere near as good as them ones!

Great invention! You could make a fortune! :Razz

porshiepoo
11-Mar-10, 10:13
Definitely want to try that!
This time of year our burner is going most of the time so sticking some baked spuds and chicken on it seems like a great idea!

Well done that man! :)

The Drunken Duck
11-Mar-10, 10:18
Top Idea, thought of a name for it yet ??

I want one and I dont even have an open fire. I just like clever gadgets like most blokes. You should take that one to the Dragons Den.

northener
11-Mar-10, 10:20
Kev, could you come up with something to enable me to poach eggs whilst having a bath?

Nifty invention, that spud thang is.
What are you going to call it?

How about "The Patented Milkins-Trianco Tuber Toaster"? :cool:

cuddlepop
11-Mar-10, 13:06
As the others have said "quick patent it"...seriously Kevin its a brilliant invention and the spuds look "perfic".:D

wicker8
11-Mar-10, 13:31
hi they look lovely making me hungry:Razz

kevinmiller
11-Mar-10, 13:37
You should get a patent on that m8, go to the dragons den with it?????;)

Phill
11-Mar-10, 13:56
Deffo a worthy shot for dragons den, but Theo will try to break it!

:lol:

Kevin Milkins
11-Mar-10, 19:19
Thank you all for sharing my enthusiasm, and your kind comments.

Although it is a handy way to bake a nice potato and make best use of energy, I don't really think it's money spinner and I would probably wet my pants before I got to to top step of the Dragons Den.:confused

I think if someone was to copy it and make some money, then I would probably be flattered. I might make a few and see if it's feasible, and I think I will name it a Spudulike.:Razz

George Brims
11-Mar-10, 21:05
LOL Kevin, there used to be a chain of baked tattie shops with that name. What you need now is a thing like those poppers you stick in the Christmas turkey to tell you when they're done!

Phill
11-Mar-10, 21:42
I don't really think it's money spinner and I would probably wet my pants before I got to to top step of the Dragons Den.

Nah, don't talk tosh. This could go all the way.
They like ideas that can grow and expand, think about it, you could accessorise it. Little prongy bits on the side for marsh mallows...a dish attachment for baked beans....the list is endless.

You need to speak to Mousebat, Follicle, Goosecreature, Ampersand, Spong, Wapcaplet, Looseliver, Vendetta and Prang. They're the boys for marketing this!!

:cool:

Aaldtimer
11-Mar-10, 21:45
Can I suggest a name for it Kev!

The BaKeMate Fire Dog....taraaaaaaah!:)

Kevin Milkins
11-Mar-10, 23:27
Nah, don't talk tosh. This could go all the way.
They like ideas that can grow and expand, think about it, you could accessorise it. Little prongy bits on the side for marsh mallows...a dish attachment for baked beans....the list is endless.

You need to speak to Mousebat, Follicle, Goosecreature, Ampersand, Spong, Wapcaplet, Looseliver, Vendetta and Prang. They're the boys for marketing this!!

Lol, I do like the old string sketch.:lol: What about JML?:lol:

Can I suggest a name for it Kev!

The BaKeMate Fire Dog....taraaaaaaah

Good name, I am still working on the prototype for the night storage radiator version.:Razz

Phill
11-Mar-10, 23:57
What about JML?

You could take 'em. They'll be quaking in their boots now!

Aaldtimer
12-Mar-10, 04:07
Good name, I am still working on the prototype for the night storage radiator version.:Razz

Good man Kev!
Only problem is...I don't do breakfast....
coffee, fag, cough...:confused

northener
12-Mar-10, 08:01
JML? Bunch of shysters.

They turned down my 'Get me home, I'm drunk' hat.:(

joxville
12-Mar-10, 15:55
How about the Spud-U-Like.

Oops, that name's already taken. :(

Or The Spudobaker. Yes, The Spudobaker has a nice ring to it. :)