PDA

View Full Version : Speed Bumps, Riverside Road Thurso

bekisman
09-Mar-10, 15:25
A couple of days ago drove down Riverside Road to Tempest Cafe (On Recommendations Thread), went again today - not for the cafe but to park up, watch the surf and eat the chippies from Sandras.
But they've now put in a series of speed bumps along Riverside Road- four lots?
Fair enough IF that road is subject to speeding, shove up a couple of speed cameras.. all these humps do is cause slowing and revving, and holds up any emergency vehicles.. Depending upon the vehicle and the hump design, going over a hump at a higher speed may cause less discomfort than a lower speed..

Never mind we'll be going via Beach Road and Shore Street from now on.
Quite interesting:

http://www.abd.org.uk/speed_humps.htm (http://www.abd.org.uk/speed_humps.htm)

Ash
09-Mar-10, 16:30
i live beside there and that road is AWFUL for speeding! idiot boy racers with nothing better to do at night time!!!

Phill
09-Mar-10, 16:45
i live beside there and that road is AWFUL for speeding! idiot boy racers with nothing better to do at night time!!!

RPG's will soon sort that out, no need for road bumps.

Cattach
09-Mar-10, 17:31
A couple of days ago drove down Riverside Road to Tempest Cafe (On Recommendations Thread), went again today - not for the cafe but to park up, watch the surf and eat the chippies from Sandras.
But they've now put in a series of speed bumps along Riverside Road- four lots?
Fair enough IF that road is subject to speeding, shove up a couple of speed cameras.. all these humps do is cause slowing and revving, and holds up any emergency vehicles.. Depending upon the vehicle and the hump design, going over a hump at a higher speed may cause less discomfort than a lower speed..

Never mind we'll be going via Beach Road and Shore Street from now on.
Quite interesting:

http://www.abd.org.uk/speed_humps.htm (http://www.abd.org.uk/speed_humps.htm)

Long over due. The road was like a F1 race track with idiots racing and overtaking. Hardly safe to walk on it some evenings. Well done whoever installed the bumps. Few more roads need doing so get to and sort out those boys and girl racers with nothing to do but annoy the general public and put lives at risk.

Loraine
09-Mar-10, 17:35
Long over due. The road was like a F1 race track with idiots racing and overtaking. Hardly safe to walk on it some evenings. Well done whoever installed the bumps. Few more roads need doing so get to and sort out those boys and girl racers with nothing to do but annoy the general public and put lives at risk.

I agree - it's a long straight stretch of road that some drivers choose to take advantage of by driving waaay too fast!! Hopefully the road bumps will slow them down or else ruin their suspension!! :lol:

Gronnuck
09-Mar-10, 18:24
[disgust] Speed bumps are a bad idea for all the reasons listed in the link on Bekisman's post. Anyone with experience of these bumps will tell you of the damage to the wheel alignment of your car and the costs involved in replacing tyres etc. A better idea would have been to install chicanes or pinch points.
If the council are going to start installing bumps you can bet the next will be in Castlegreen Road, followed by Pennyland Drive then Millbank Road. They probably have a bit money left in the budget which has to be spent by the end of the month.
INHO speed bumps are an excuse not to police the roads properly and make an example of a few irresponsible drivers.

celtic1888
09-Mar-10, 18:39
there is 6 sets of speed bumps now..
stupid i think..
maybe a couple would be fine.. not 6.. takes the biscuit a bit..
REALLY bad on cars also..
another job the police have got out of.. not like they do much anyway..

webmannie
09-Mar-10, 18:46
Wish they'd get their skates on and install 'something' in Pennyland Drive!!

bish667
09-Mar-10, 18:58
Why put speed bumps there? there's a lot worse roads that they could have put them on.
Never found that road bad for speeding as most often there is a line of cars parked along one side so if anything i would drive slower on that road as there was usually traffic coming the other way.

I dont speed about town but I do have a car with solid lowered suspension so tend to avoid roads with speed bumps if I can help it.

ducati
09-Mar-10, 21:59
Why put speed bumps there? there's a lot worse roads that they could have put them on.
Never found that road bad for speeding as most often there is a line of cars parked along one side so if anything i would drive slower on that road as there was usually traffic coming the other way.

I dont speed about town but I do have a car with solid lowered suspension so tend to avoid roads with speed bumps if I can help it.

Why do you people ruin your cars? If they can't cope with the environment they were intended for, like the road, what use are they.

Not havin a go, just wonderin :D

DarrenG1992
09-Mar-10, 22:23
These are absolutely stupid, considering there is 6 - 7 bumps running all the way from the legion to the harbour!?, this is a waste of fuel consumption having to slow down and speed up again and bad on the brakes , and an inconvience to proper road users e.g. not boy racers, and holds up emergency services if needed, i know its like a race track for boy racers, but think about it, im sick of total biased people moaning, considering half of you people did this at your age, the best soloution to this is to reduce the number of speed bumps not all of them, and more speed cameras. or police checks every so often and on the spot fines.

please leave your comments on this matter please :)

ducati
09-Mar-10, 23:10
These are absolutely stupid, considering there is 6 - 7 bumps running all the way from the legion to the harbour!?, this is a waste of fuel consumption having to slow down and speed up again and bad on the brakes , and an inconvience to proper road users e.g. not boy racers, and holds up emergency services if needed, i know its like a race track for boy racers, but think about it, im sick of total biased people moaning, considering half of you people did this at your age, the best soloution to this is to reduce the number of speed bumps not all of them, and more speed cameras. or police checks every so often and on the spot fines.

please leave your comments on this matter please :)

If you have to hit the brakes between 6 sets of speed bumps, what does that tell you?

golach
09-Mar-10, 23:16
If you have to hit the brakes between 6 sets of speed bumps, what does that tell you?

I think that means the speed bumps are doing the purpose they were installed for.

ducati
09-Mar-10, 23:18
I think that means the speed bumps are doing the purpose they were installed for.

Yep. How are you doing trafficwise in Edinburgh these days? They had made a right cobblers of it when I left a couple of years ago.:roll:

Gronnuck
09-Mar-10, 23:36
:eek: Well I have to say I'm disappointed that such a draconian measure has been implemented. However I respect the wishes of the local community who obviously supported this method of traffic calming when they were consulted on the matter.
The Riverside always seemed such a calm road during the day with no fast moving traffic so I dread to think what it must have been like in the evenings.
This won't put me off using the road, I'll probably dawdle as I always do. ;)

golach
09-Mar-10, 23:36
Yep. How are you doing trafficwise in Edinburgh these days? They had made a right cobblers of it when I left a couple of years ago.:roll:

Ducati we have a five letter word down here that causes nothing but rage, its worse than a swear word, Tr..s [disgust]

ducati
10-Mar-10, 07:58
Ducati we have a five letter word down here that causes nothing but rage, its worse than a swear word, Tr..s [disgust]

Yes, I understand that you can't move for the things wizzing aboot the city [lol]

bish667
10-Mar-10, 11:14
Why do you people ruin your cars? If they can't cope with the environment they were intended for, like the road, what use are they.

Not havin a go, just wonderin :D

The suspension is designed for flat roads, not speed bumps. for that matter all the potholes around arent good for it either but heyho :lol:

ducati
10-Mar-10, 11:17
The suspension is designed for flat roads, not speed bumps. for that matter all the potholes around arent good for it either but heyho :lol:

You want to try an italian motorbike. Clang oops another bit fell off [lol]

Gronnuck
10-Mar-10, 12:42
Well I was in Thurso this morning and experienced these speed bumps for myself. They’re not the ‘speed cushion’ calming method used extensively across the Central Belt, but narrow bolt down strips of metal. I negotiated them in second gear at about 10 MPH; well I did say I would dawdle! :lol:
I can imagine anyone travelling any faster than I was will feel the crunch as they hit the bump. Vans and lorries will make a right royal racket as they pass over them, especially if they have a loose load. I hope nobody wants any scaffolding down that way!
After shopping and a walkabout I spend a little time watching the traffic and could see no one driving faster than a slow trot so I could see they are very effective. No one is going to be in hurry down that road any time soon. :lol:

bish667
10-Mar-10, 12:45
I've often seen old classic cars driving along that road in convoys, cant see them taking that road anymore or they might find some parts coming off :lol:

Gronnuck
10-Mar-10, 12:57
I've often seen old classic cars driving along that road in convoys, cant see them taking that road anymore or they might find some parts coming off :lol:

:eek: They don't have to be older cars for bits to fall off. If you've ever read Honest John's column in the Daily Telegraph you'll know he has often described all sorts of damage being inflicted on modern cars.
Riverside Road is now a place to avoid where possible.

golach
10-Mar-10, 13:05
Yes, I understand that you can't move for the things wizzing aboot the city [lol]

We wish Ducati, millions over budget, and 2 years late already, only 1 mile of track laid up to now. No tr..s running yet.

bish667
10-Mar-10, 14:10
:eek: They don't have to be older cars for bits to fall off. If you've ever read Honest John's column in the Daily Telegraph you'll know he has often described all sorts of damage being inflicted on modern cars.
Riverside Road is now a place to avoid where possible.

Agreed

I avoid all areas with speed bumps, road at bottom of spring park where kids get dropped off I avoid but thats ok as there's other ways of getting to my home, only issue is getting to a friends house in west gills, no way past those speed bumps and they are huge :eek:

Think thats maybe their point tho, less people that use these roads means less people on it to cause traffic issues.

annthracks
10-Mar-10, 14:37
RPG's will soon sort that out, no need for road bumps.

hehe yeah, but who's going to pick up all the bits??

annthracks
10-Mar-10, 14:42
However I respect the wishes of the local community who obviously supported this method of traffic calming when they were consulted on the matter.;)

were they??

Gronnuck
10-Mar-10, 15:10
were they??

I assume they were since there is a legal requirement!

Boozeburglar
10-Mar-10, 15:54
If anyone sustains damage to their vehicle I would suggest it was not roadworthy.

Either that or you were going too fast.

Perhaps you were not looking.

Mik.M.
10-Mar-10, 16:16
The bumps are doing what they were designed to do IE, Slow you down! Why do you need to accelerate between the bumps? Drive at a slower speed.

ducati
10-Mar-10, 16:39
The bumps are doing what they were designed to do IE, Slow you down! Why do you need to accelerate between the bumps? Drive at a slower speed.

Yes, correct, again:cool:

DarrenG1992
10-Mar-10, 17:20
Just get rid of these, there so annoying, and make the ride uncomfortable :~(

Gronnuck
10-Mar-10, 18:24
Aye - They're a pain in the a-$e especially when you spill your coffee going over them :lol:

William
10-Mar-10, 18:41
Aye - They're a pain in the a-$e especially when you spill your coffee going over them :lol:

In an ideal world you should have both hands on the steering wheel and concentrating on the road :P

We should all stop get out an unscrew them an take one each home as a reminder.....Sorted

M R
10-Mar-10, 18:49
Hardly safe to walk on it some evenings.

Your not supposed to walk on the road, that's why there are pavements ?

Now we have roads, Full of potholes and speed bumps. Am sure work for the garages will pick up very shortly.

Mr P Cannop
10-Mar-10, 19:29
Just get rid of these, there so annoying, and make the ride uncomfortable :~(

i seen a car this morning going up on the pavement just to dodge them

upolian
10-Mar-10, 19:31
i seen a car this morning going up on the pavement just to dodge them

roads are for driving on,what would they have done if somebody was walking on the path at the time?people these days absolutely unbelieveable!!!

upolian
10-Mar-10, 19:32
In an ideal world you should have both hands on the steering wheel and concentrating on the road :P

We should all stop get out an unscrew them an take one each home as a reminder.....Sorted

Williams spare bedroom is full of them [lol]

William
10-Mar-10, 19:47
Great news out of 11, 6 can be avoided heading to the harbour

And outta 11, 9 can be avoided heading back from the harbour

Heading towards the harbour
Can't be avoided
Can't be avoided
Mount kerb watch out for drain pipe
Can't be avoided
Mount kerb give way to peds
Phone ahead an ask riverside rep to move some cars outta the way
Mount Grass
Can't be avoided
Mount grass
Can't be avoided
Spin round edge watch out for kerb.
Heading back
Can't be avoided
Can't be avoided
Through car park
Sorted :Razz

To be attempted at your own risk lol

ducati
10-Mar-10, 20:48
Great news out of 11, 6 can be avoided heading to the harbour

And outta 11, 9 can be avoided heading back from the harbour

Heading towards the harbour
Can't be avoided
Can't be avoided
Mount kerb watch out for drain pipe
Can't be avoided
Phone ahead an ask riverside rep to move some cars outta the way
Mount Grass
Can't be avoided
Mount grass
Can't be avoided
Spin round edge watch out for kerb.
Heading back
Can't be avoided
Can't be avoided
Through car park
Sorted :Razz

To be attempted at your own risk lol

William-you really need to stay in more [lol]

William
10-Mar-10, 21:07
I completely agree :D

upolian
10-Mar-10, 21:30
I completely agree :D

looooooooooool

Mik.M.
10-Mar-10, 22:36
Surely mounting the kerb is worse because it`s higher than the bumps. :confused

Mr P Cannop
10-Mar-10, 22:42
there is camaras in that area so they would of have been seen

Dog-eared
10-Mar-10, 22:51
The bumps are Ok at slow speeds.

M R
11-Mar-10, 00:07
The bumps are Ok at slow speeds.

That depends on what your driving.

William
11-Mar-10, 17:00
Surely mounting the kerb is worse because it`s higher than the bumps. :confused

All the kerbs needed to mount are lowered so you'd never even notice you were on them lol

dragonfly
11-Mar-10, 17:41
I drove over them today for the 1st time, if you take them at the speed they are designed for there's no problem. Can we have them on Ormlie Road next please, thats the other race track at nights

bish667
11-Mar-10, 17:55
Speed bumps arent the answer to people using the roads as race tracks, police could easily deter it by sitting there now and again.

Aren't they supposed to drop the speed limit on roads with speed bumps? :confused

dragonfly
11-Mar-10, 18:02
Speed bumps arent the answer to people using the roads as race tracks, police could easily deter it by sitting there now and again.

Aren't they supposed to drop the speed limit on roads with speed bumps? :confused

I would rather the police cracking down on real crime rather than wasting resources on idiots racing their suped up pugs/saxos up and down the road at ungodly times!

upolian
11-Mar-10, 18:02
All the kerbs needed to mount are lowered so you'd never even notice you were on them lol

apart from when your car starts going wrong;)

upolian
11-Mar-10, 18:03
I would rather the police cracking down on real crime rather than wasting resources on idiots racing their suped up pugs/saxos up and down the road at ungodly times!

its not just the pugs and saxos nor are they souped up all noise no go[lol]

William
11-Mar-10, 18:04
apart from when your car starts going wrong;)

It's only got a month to live so it'll survive, altho those bumps at that speed didn't help but it's ok today

upolian
11-Mar-10, 18:21
It's only got a month to live so it'll survive, altho those bumps at that speed didn't help but it's ok today

take it easy i want it in 1 piece[lol]

Cattach
11-Mar-10, 18:27
That depends on what your driving.

Doers not matter what you are driving if you go at a suitably slow speeds the bumps will case no problem to man, or beast or car.

Let us have the bumps on Janet Street next to stop the high speed idiots going along and past the school in a rush to get to the college, the High School or work on the estate and trying to aviod the traffic lights.

stevie b
11-Mar-10, 18:38
tbf how many times has there been a crash or someone hit becuase of the 'boy racers' down on that road?

i can understand why they put them there but i think its a bit ott when they could be filling in some of the pot holes that they say there is no money to fix, i know i would prefer my money going to that than these speed bumps!

and anyway the biggest danger on that road is on bingo night with all of them double parking!!!

bish667
11-Mar-10, 18:40
Why dont they use their resources to fix the potholes instead of installing speed bumps, would be a better idea. I can go over the speed bumps faster than i can on some of the roads with potholes on them.

Or why dont they save money and just dig potholes instead of installing speed bumps.

bish667
11-Mar-10, 18:44
tbf how many times has there been a crash or someone hit becuase of the 'boy racers' down on that road?

i can understand why they put them there but i think its a bit ott when they could be filling in some of the pot holes that they say there is no money to fix, i know i would prefer my money going to that than these speed bumps!

and anyway the biggest danger on that road is on bingo night with all of them double parking!!!

Agreed....

fraz
11-Mar-10, 19:53
The problem these speed bumps will solve . Will just be a problem for another part of town when the speeders move on elsewhere. It is bad enough in hungry hill as it is.

Blarney
12-Mar-10, 00:41
Why dont they use their resources to fix the potholes instead of installing speed bumps, would be a better idea. I can go over the speed bumps faster than i can on some of the roads with potholes on them.

Or why dont they save money and just dig potholes instead of installing speed bumps.
Bish and Stevie, I wholeheartedly agree with you both. They should be out repairing the potholes around the county instead of lashing out money on this. The roads throughout the towns are in a dire mess. Probably one of the worst I've seen was in Argyle Square in Wick the other day and it was unbelievable. I reckon that it was in better nick when it was cinder tracks in the days of the horse and cart. Come on Highland Council and play the game!

Sara Jevo
12-Mar-10, 09:23

They used to call speed bumps sleeping policemen, didn't they?

Why divert police officers from other duties when a simple fix like a speed bump achieves the same result at a lot less cost?

upolian
12-Mar-10, 11:45
Very good William

I do hope you adopt a more legal and responsible approach when you are working in your capacity as a professional coach driver.

uhoh.....lol