PDA

View Full Version : McBeaths of Latheron

Pughy1971
05-Mar-10, 23:07
My Mum and I are trying to find any information on our McBeath ancestors. The information we have is:

Gt.Granny Janet McBeath b. 1874 Wick d. 1957
Gt.Gt. Grandad James McBeath b. c.1847 Latheron m. Mary MacKay b. 1840?
Gt.Gt.Gt. Grandad William McBeath b. 1821 Latheron d. 1899 Halkirk.

Gt.Gt. Gf James we believe was a Weaver by trade and a herbalist in his spare time. He was also a Freemason (Thurso).

Any info would be gratefully received.

Thank you.

trinkie
06-Mar-10, 09:11
Hallo,
How much information have you gleaned so far ? Have you looked up the census records or certificates from Scotlandspeople?
Was Janet McBeath married or single? Do you have an address for her - village or town?
It's just possible that someone might remember her.

Give as much info as you can, and I'm sure you'll get more feedback.

Kind regards
Trinkie

trinkie
06-Mar-10, 09:15
Ooops what I meant to give you was the address of this wonderful site.

graven-images.org.uk Here you will find the old and new Latheron cemeteries.

Rosemary Skea
06-Mar-10, 13:05
If you go to the FREECEN web site you will find William Mcbeath and Janet(sutherland) with their family - in 1851 at Achscorclate, Halkirk, 1961 in ED12, Halkirk but under the name of MCBETH and in 1871 in Ballcrochan, Halkirk.

James and Mary were married at Westerdale, Halkirk on 28/1/1870. In 1841 census, Mary and parents were at Brehungy in Latheron and in 1851 at Benecheit in Latheron. Haven't looked further than that.

Rosemary

My Mum and I are trying to find any information on our McBeath ancestors. The information we have is:

Gt.Granny Janet McBeath b. 1874 Wick d. 1957
Gt.Gt. Grandad James McBeath b. c.1847 Latheron m. Mary MacKay b. 1840?
Gt.Gt.Gt. Grandad William McBeath b. 1821 Latheron d. 1899 Halkirk.

Gt.Gt. Gf James we believe was a Weaver by trade and a herbalist in his spare time. He was also a Freemason (Thurso).

Any info would be gratefully received.

Thank you.

Pughy1971
09-Mar-10, 11:35
Hi,
Thank you for the tip ... we're new to all of this, so your help is invaluable!

I will look up some more info later and post as much as I know.

Kind regards,
Laura

Pughy1971
09-Mar-10, 11:38
Hello Rosemary,

Thank you so much for the information on William & Janet ... we really didn't have anything more than their names and the d.o.b and those of their children, so your info is fantastic. Also, the info on Mary is great, much more than we knew! We shall definately try out the site you suggested.

Thank you.
Kind regards,
Laura & Fiona

trinkie
10-Mar-10, 10:26
Hi ,

My two gt grandfathers were Precentors in Westerdale Church
so likely they would have known your family !

In the Free Church of Scotland a Precentor stood at the front and accompanied the singing, no Instruments were used in our Church at that time. He would sing the first verse, setting the pace and key and then the others would join in. Each person was allowed to embellish the tune as they wished, and this often meant waiting until all were finished singing, before going on with the next verse ! It is still used in some west coast churches and I find it rather beautiful. There are some CDs available now.

Happy singing
Trinkie

trinkie
10-Mar-10, 10:32
If you search 'westerdale church' here on the org, there is a very nice picture.

sgmcgregor
11-Mar-10, 21:52
Pughy1971,

Looking at your message I realise you are new to researching your family, but I thought I would post my family links to a MacBeath line. Should you stumble across any links further down the line then I would be happy to swap information. What little I have!!

I am researching many family names but have two MacBeath links.

I have a Williamina Grant marrying a Henry MacBeath on 28thFeb 1908 at 15 East Banks, Wick. Williamina is the daughter of David Grant and Eilisbeth Young.

I also have a William MacLeod Miller marrying a Cissie MacBeath. No dates on this yet 'm afraid. William was born about 1922 so the marriage would be 1938 onwards. On the Wick/Thrumster side of the county.

These families are a wee bit further from my direct line so I haven't got to them yet to find more precise details, but I will get there. Grant and Miller are the family names on my mother's side along with Dallas, Bartlett, Oman, Young to name a few.

Good luck with your research,
Steven McGregor (Thurso, Caithness)

steel
30-Mar-11, 20:10
Hello Laura, Your Gt Grand Mother's sister being Wilhelmina McBeath married my Grand Father's brother Robert Paterson Munro b 1869 Glencorse Edinburgh Midlothian, they emigrated to Canada 18th March 1911. They had two children Robert b 1903 Roslin Scotland and Richie b abt 1910
Wilhelmina( Ina) died in Nanaimo British Columbia Canada.

Regards
Catherine

domino
30-Mar-11, 23:44
If you PM me I may be able to provide some information on McBeath Latheron

brandy
06-Apr-11, 18:47
was there many mcbeaths about up here? as its an odd name that ive come across in the research.. the first one ive come across is margaret mcbeath married john corner and she was b. about 1690 in sarclet...