PDA

View Full Version : Justice for Jamie Bulger

donnick
05-Mar-10, 18:54
PLEASE SIGH THIS PETITION IF YOU FEEL STRONGLY we call on the government for transparency and the scrapping of the rules protecting killers who re offend

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/2879536/Bulger-killer-cover-blown.html

Ajax
05-Mar-10, 21:20
Hi have done so

wicker8
05-Mar-10, 21:22
i am with you on this one good post

StacNKel
05-Mar-10, 21:24
I also signed!

George Brims
05-Mar-10, 23:17
I don't see any point in this petition. Had the person in question been charged with some serious crime, then it would have come out anyway. This is just another example of Sun sensationalism.

Sara Jevo
07-Mar-10, 00:05
I don't understand this.

I thought justice had been done when there was a trial, conviction and sentence. That's how it works, isn't it?

I don't imagine Veneables will be the first person released on licence to commit an offence and I doubt if he will be the last.

But how on earth could anyone get a fair trial - for the new crime he is alleged to have committed - if the jury thought it was the killer of James Bulger before them?

You shouldn't punish someone twice for the same offence, which is probably what would happen.

The Sun are interested only in ways to increase the profits of Mr Murdoch and see a populist cause here that plays to mob justice.

The outcome of this petition almost certainly would be a miscarriage of justice.

mike.mckenzie
07-Mar-10, 00:10
I never have anything to do with the Sun. Ask Kelvin McKenzie why. I won't click on the link, but I assume its bandwagoning in the name of decency, a cynical ploy for sales.

crayola
07-Mar-10, 00:18
PLEASE SIGHl (http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/2879536/Bulger-killer-cover-blown.html)I sighed as requested. Just as I always do when I see threads like this one.

charlie
07-Mar-10, 01:05
I sighed as requested. Just as I always do when I see threads like this one.

Indeed! I SIGHed with you!

donnick
07-Mar-10, 19:21
yes yes i should use spell check ...8 year for the murder of a young child that's not justice:(

floyed
07-Mar-10, 19:29
Have signed.

Sara Jevo
07-Mar-10, 23:53
yes yes i should use spell check ...8 year for the murder of a young child that's not justice:(

Ok, I understand you are not happy with the length of time served behind bars. That is a procedural issue - change the process.

To me, it seems the Sun is playing to the audience that believes, like you, he should have served longer in jail. By identifying him prior to any trial, it virtually ensures his conviction and return to prison, either under the new sentence or revocation of his licence.

I'm in no way defending what this individual did in 1993. But fundamentally, it is wrong to seek to punish someone twice. Disagree with the process, sure. But we cannot have newspapers and their readers deciding on sentences. Why not go a stage further and have a game show to decide how long people stay in jail?

crayola
07-Mar-10, 23:59
By identifying him prior to any trial, it virtually ensures his conviction and return to prison, either under the new sentence or revocation of his licence.
Not necessarily, there's a possible scenario in which the witch hunt started by the Sun ensures he doesn't get a fair trial and he gets off with murder.

In my experience most scousers hate the Sun, could they be trying to endear themselves with the local populace to increase circulation in that area?