PDA

View Full Version : Laptop won't restart

IC
03-Mar-10, 00:42
We have a laptop which started an automatic update last night and now it says that it is unable to restart. It keeps running startup repairs and then goes back to the update page and so on and on!

Can anyone suggest what the problem may be or how to resolve this and get the laptop restarted. I have managed to get it onto the safe mode restart but it just goes back to the startup repair page so we are going round and round in circles!

Thanks

dx100uk
03-Mar-10, 01:44
get into safe mode command prompt mode and type

chkdsk c: /f /r

dx

IC
03-Mar-10, 09:30
Hi

Have gone into safe mode command prompt mode and no joy. It went to a blue screen and then the same Startup Repair screen comes up. It says that the computer was unable to restart and that Startup Repair is checking the system for problems. This is what happens - it will now go from this to the update and then back to this window! So frustrating especially when I don't know that much about computers and how to solve problems!!

Thank you for your suggestion.

RIR
03-Mar-10, 12:01
Is it XP?

If so, you could try the procedure here: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/ht/systemrestorecp.htm

Ian.

dx100uk
03-Mar-10, 12:53
Hi

Have gone into safe mode command prompt mode and no joy. It went to a blue screen and then the same Startup Repair screen comes up. It says that the computer was unable to restart and that Startup Repair is checking the system for problems. This is what happens - it will now go from this to the update and then back to this window! So frustrating especially when I don't know that much about computers and how to solve problems!!

Thank you for your suggestion.

ok well sadly there is nothing more you can do unless you have a boot disc and/or can run chkdsk to repair faults on the harddrive.

your error is due to the update files and or system restore point file going onto a part of the harddisk that is corrupted.

in all honesty, i think it best you take it to someone that can do the above.

dx