PDA

View Full Version : Scotland,s Oil

piratelassie
28-Feb-10, 00:40
Why is Scotland the only country to have oil on it,s doorstep and be poorer off because of it.

redeyedtreefrog
28-Feb-10, 00:42
If we kept all the oil for ourselves, we'd just have deep-fried Norway.

golach
28-Feb-10, 00:46
Why is Scotland the only country to have oil on it,s doorstep and be poorer off because of it.

Because there is hardly any left, [disgust]

Cedric Farthsbottom III
28-Feb-10, 00:49
Scotland is part of the UK.So whats ours is theirs.Scotlands oil is British Oil,it has been decreed.The Falklands Oil is British Oil,though the Argentenians dinnae agree with that either.

ducati
28-Feb-10, 09:55

How do you work that out?

EDDIE
28-Feb-10, 10:08
Scotland is part of the UK.So whats ours is theirs.Scotlands oil is British Oil,it has been decreed.The Falklands Oil is British Oil,though the Argentenians dinnae agree with that either.

Falkland oil is british oil hmmmmmmmmm its debatable i think they should sit down and talk to argentina and strike a deal its the right thing to do

EDDIE
28-Feb-10, 10:35
No country should own ANY oil.

It's a natural resource, and the fact that some of it is within a hundred miles of our coastline shouldn't make it 'ours' more than anyone else.

The thing that annoys me most about this is the oil belongs to the country and its annoying how much money bp and shell are making out of this and they have to remeber there only taking it out of the ground on behalf of the country and they dont own the oil or have a big say in the matters look at how much millions a year the make out of it thats what annoys me the uk should have done a windfall tax on them to help the uk out of the recession its not there oil its the uk

northener
28-Feb-10, 12:21
So when natural gas was/is being pumped from the Morecambe Bay and East Anglia fields to supply the whole of the UK - that was 'English Gas' was it? What a bizarre statement that would be.

Was it purely 'Scottish' money that opened up the reserves or was it 'British' money and some forward thinking oil companies prepared to risk a hell of a lot?

If Shetland turns round and tells Scotland to shove themselves up their backsides and claims all the oil around Shetland as 'Shetland' oil...what would you say to that?

Yoda the flump
28-Feb-10, 12:23
So when natural gas was/is being pumped from the Morecambe Bay and East Anglia fields to supply the whole of the UK - that was 'English Gas' was it? What a bizarre statement that would be.

Was it purely 'Scottish' money that opened up the reserves or was it 'British' money and some forward thinking oil companies prepared to risk a hell of a lot?

If Shetland turns round and tells Scotland to shove themselves up their backsides and claims all the oil around Shetland as 'Shetland' oil...what would you say to that?

Well said that man!

Each
28-Feb-10, 18:07
so who does the wind abd the tide belong to ?

Will the local communities have to give back their income ?
Who owns "our fish" - Europe apparently.

Who owns our heritage - why should we have to pay to visit skara brae or culloden battlefield - why cant we get the lewis chessmen back - why are we (uk) still holding on to the Elgin Marbles ?

is all property theft ? hmmm....

its one messed up world we live in.

northener
28-Feb-10, 20:18
so who does the wind abd the tide belong to ?

Will the local communities have to give back their income ?
Who owns "our fish" - Europe apparently.

Who owns our heritage - why should we have to pay to visit skara brae or culloden battlefield - why cant we get the lewis chessmen back - why are we (uk) still holding on to the Elgin Marbles ?

is all property theft ? hmmm....

its one messed up world we live in.

Yup, certainly is.

M R
28-Feb-10, 20:56

Not quite sure where your getting this impression from ?

The Oil industry makes alot of people, businesses and this country alot of money.

oldmarine
01-Mar-10, 03:24
Falkland oil is british oil hmmmmmmmmm its debatable i think they should sit down and talk to argentina and strike a deal its the right thing to do

Either make a deal or have to fight again.

Aaldtimer
01-Mar-10, 04:06

Because, back then, it was used to pay for Thatcher's dole queue!

And probaly still is paying for the consequences! :eek:

Amy-Winehouse
01-Mar-10, 11:55
Because there is hardly any left, [disgust]

Thats not true, 2/3rds of it has been pumped ashore but the other 3rd is a bit harder to get to , were working on it though :D

The North sea has been developed but west of shetland has hardly been touched.

Boozeburglar
01-Mar-10, 13:09
One of my best pals is involved in the geo survey aspect, and he says . . .

It is impossible to say how much is left, some estimates are up to 50%, but that is based on current and developing technologies.

redeyedtreefrog
01-Mar-10, 17:41
Either make a deal or have to fight again.

That shouldn't be an option.

sam09
02-Mar-10, 17:49
have a look on this sight www.oilofscotland.org it will open your eyes

northener
02-Mar-10, 18:21
have a look on this sight www.oilofscotland.org (http://www.oilofscotland.org) it will open your eyes

Made me yawn actually, the usual guff being banged out about 'Scottish' oil. The whole thing gives the impression that 'London':roll: is somehow stealing all this money and then, presumably, spending it all on 'London' and not giving a penny back to Scotland. Loada rubbish.

sam09
04-Mar-10, 00:15
Made me yawn actually, the usual guff being banged out about 'Scottish' oil. The whole thing gives the impression that 'London':roll: is somehow stealing all this money and then, presumably, spending it all on 'London' and not giving a penny back to Scotland. Loada rubbish.
aye northerner dont let the truth get in the way of your ignorance

cullpacket
04-Mar-10, 04:15
http://www.oilofscotland.org/scottish_north_sea_oil.html

northener
04-Mar-10, 10:06
Oh, for crying out loud.

Fine, yup. OK.

It's these people in London stealing our birthright. The same people that cleared the Highlands, declared the haggis an instrument of war and made Americans wear tartan.

The SNP must be killing themselves laughing if everyone is so easily taken in, the Independance refrendum is going to be a walkover for them.[lol]

Oh, hang on a minute, they're not doing that well at the moment are they?;)

Goodbye.

bluechesse
06-Mar-10, 11:13
I myself think that this is a load of tosh (not you in particular Northener, just this whole debate). The oil being refered to is just off scotland, and, like it or not, thats British waters. And before we turn this in to YET ANOTHER Scottish vs English debate, Im Scottish and very proud of it. So no more of that Us against Them stuff that so many threads on here seem to degenerate in to please. Save all that for the Rugby.

The oil companies have to PAY for the rights to drill in a particular block, and then produce that oil and sell it. They dont just turn up, set up camp and start pinching it with out so much as a "by your leave". It's not just finders keepers!
First they survey the area. This creates jobs. They have to pay people to do this, and those people get taxed on their wages.

Once they find oil, they have to buy the raw materials and technocolgy necessary to build a production facility. This costs many millions, and creates jobs. The raw materials are taxed by the government. The wages of those employed to build it are taxed by the governent.

Then, once they have a production facility (oil rig) they have to pay people to work on it and drill for and produce this oil. This creates jobs.
These people are taxed on their wages by the govermment.

Then, once the have produced the oil, they sell it. The profit on this is
taxed by the government.

Then its refined by a refining company. And they get taxed by the government on their profits.

Then its shipped by a distributor. And they get taxed by the goverment on their profit.

Then the product is sold by a retailer. And they get taxed by the government.

And they you, the consumer, get taxed when you buy it.

So who's stealing????? All this tax (and it's a LOT of tax) goes back in to the country (or it should,some times the powers that be dont distribute it very well), and what ever you think, we would ALL be a damn sight poorer off with out it!

And thats before we even think about the amount of people that are employed by them.

If you didn't have BP, Shell and all the other oil companies making vast profits out of the oil, you wouldn't have any oil. These companies dont set the price of the oil, they just benifit from it. And they are in business to make money the same as anyone else. They just happen to be in a business where the profit margin can be high, if you operate you business correctly.

Why, oh why do some people who think they should do all the work for free, then gift it to us. Well the world does not work like this I'm afraid. We're not Nazi's!

England and Oil companies stealing Scoltands oil? As conspiracy theories go this is a beauty! How do you think we would get it out of the ground if it wasn't for England and the Oil companies? Maybe with out Them it would just "magic" it's self up out of the depths of the sea bed and in to your petrol tank?

Sorry, this is not aimed at anyone in particular, just a general observation.....

Actually, Northerner, have I put this in the wrong thread? Do I still get a score? [lol]

northener
06-Mar-10, 12:19
I myself think that this is a load of tosh (not you in particular Northener, just this whole debate). The oil being refered to is just off scotland, and, like it or not, thats British waters. And before we turn this in to YET ANOTHER Scottish vs English debate, Im Scottish and very proud of it. So no more of that Us against Them stuff that so many threads on here seem to degenerate in to please. Save all that for the Rugby.

The oil companies have to PAY for the rights to drill in a particular block, and then produce that oil and sell it. They dont just turn up, set up camp and start pinching it with out so much as a "by your leave". It's not just finders keepers!
First they survey the area. This creates jobs. They have to pay people to do this, and those people get taxed on their wages.

Once they find oil, they have to buy the raw materials and technocolgy necessary to build a production facility. This costs many millions, and creates jobs. The raw materials are taxed by the government. The wages of those employed to build it are taxed by the governent.

Then, once they have a production facility (oil rig) they have to pay people to work on it and drill for and produce this oil. This creates jobs.

taxed by the government.

Then its refined by a refining company. And they get taxed by the government on their profits.

Then its shipped by a distributor. And they get taxed by the goverment on their profit.

So who's stealing????? All this tax (and it's a LOT of tax) goes back in to the country (or it should,some times the powers that be dont distribute it very well), and what ever you think, we would ALL be a damn sight poorer off with out it!

And thats before we even think about the amount of people that are employed by them.

If you didn't have BP, Shell and all the other oil companies making vast profits out of the oil, you wouldn't have any oil. These companies dont set the price of the oil, they just benifit from it. And they are in business to make money the same as anyone else. They just happen to be in a business where the profit margin can be high, if you operate you business correctly.

Why, oh why do some people who think they should do all the work for free, then gift it to us. Well the world does not work like this I'm afraid. We're not Nazi's!

England and Oil companies stealing Scoltands oil? As conspiracy theories go this is a beauty! How do you think we would get it out of the ground if it wasn't for England and the Oil companies? Maybe with out Them it would just "magic" it's self up out of the depths of the sea bed and in to your petrol tank?

Sorry, this is not aimed at anyone in particular, just a general observation.....

Actually, Northerner, have I put this in the wrong thread? Do I still get a score? [lol]

Would be a 10/10 if it wasn't so full of facts. Never mind, eh?:Razz

I'd say you've just about summed the situation up.

Whether Scotland receives a revenue slice that is proportionate to it's population may be open to question, but that's not some emotional paint-yer-face-blue-and start-wailing 'Scottish Oil' issue - thats a fiscal policy issue.

Amy-Winehouse
06-Mar-10, 12:38

taxed by the government.

Post of the week. But can I add to it please

Once the survey has been done, the oil companies usually take in a semi submersible or jack up to drill exploration wells & if, as expected they hit a jackpot & it is viable the Oil companies will shove a production Platform or FPSO over the wells And produce- all of which ius taxed by the Government.

Great post though, S.N.P relying on Oil thats already been exploited & taxed beyond exhaustion ??? Ill let you make your own minds up