PDA

View Full Version : Tesco in Caithness

Martin
25-Mar-04, 22:02
I've heard rumours that Tesco plan to open a store up here. Can anybody add confirm or add anything to this?

Fifi
26-Mar-04, 09:53
Yes, I heard this one too - supposedly they looked a while back at sites in Thurso but nothing came of it. The latest story I heard was that they were interested in the Caithness Glass factory! (I actually heard this before they shut down so don't know if there is ANY truth at all in this rumour - don't quote me!!)

champagnebaby
26-Mar-04, 11:25
What's gonna be happening to Safeway now that Morrisons have taken over, are they still keeping the Safeway brand or will it be all Morrisons. Had a look at their website(http://www.morereasons.co.uk/) and some of the deals they got on look ocay.

I've never been in a Morrisons store, anyone got any opinions? Are they better than e Coop?

Geo
26-Mar-04, 13:57
Last I heard the main stores were all being rebranded to Morrisons and smaller ones were becoming Local Safeway or something like that. They are selling off some highstreet stores. I have never seen a Morrisons shop but read they are not as modern when it comes to things like ordering systems, preferring a paper system to a computer one. Don't know if that is a good or bad thing but if it works for them...Prices and range are supposed to be very good.

champagnebaby
26-Mar-04, 14:46
Guess we'll just have to wait n see :)

JAWS
27-Mar-04, 00:32
Didn't Tesco's try to get the site Lidl's are now on in Wick?

Wasn't planning permission refused for Tesco but later given to Lidl.

Couldn't be anything to do with the fact that Tesco wanted to sell petrol and Lidl didn't.

Surely not!

squidge
29-Mar-04, 13:50
There are many morrisons stores in my home area. They are well planned and well priced. The fresh food is good and they have a reputation for sourcing goods locally i believe. Although they are usually bigger than our current safeways they are well stocked and have well trained and friendly staff. Their wines and spirits departments are excellent with a wide choice and good prices. Their petrol is usually the cheapest in the area. Cheaper than tesco for sure.

My shopping habits did of course depend on how much money i had.... weeks where i was flush with a little extra cash and fancied a "whole shopping experience" i would choose tesco and spend a bit extra. Normal weeks when i was on a normal budget i would shop happily at morrisons and feel like i got good value and an excellent choice. Weeks where i was skint saw me traipsing around Aldi.

I like morrisons and i am interested to see what will happen when they find where Caithness is on the map. I will be dosappointed if it is nothing at all.

Anonymous
30-Mar-04, 09:46
I'd imagine that whoever owns a certain big building on the outskirts of town will be waiting news of a possible consortium, although I don't think they will be putting any other offers in the bin until they've decided who has the best chance of paying them their rent. I would image that the building itself would be quite attractive to any number of businesses, due to its location, nearby services/facilities and a ready and able workforce on the doorstep.

With all the action in the town itself, I would not be surprised if Tesco's interest is higher than it was before, especially as they've seen another supermarket open and thrive in the town since their last look. This if course is hopefully the thoughts in the minds of quite a few national enterprises, who might also notice that there are a number of sites prime for development in a town that's turning an obvious corner.

Now all we need is for the council/someone to buy the old pavillion and convert it to either something useful or at the very least, a grassy knoll :eek:

mike.mckenzie
30-Mar-04, 12:21
An outskirts Tesco would probably result in more empty shops in the town centre, making it even more lifeless than it already is. That would be a shame, pity there isn't a site the town centre that could be considered for it.

Anonymous
31-Mar-04, 10:41
Considering there are no grocers or supermarket type shops in the town centre I dont see who will be affected? More jobs and development surely brings life to the town.

mike.mckenzie
31-Mar-04, 14:06
Sorry, forgot you don't have tesco's up there. Tescos runs bakeries and cafes as well as butcher's.

allie
07-Apr-04, 17:17
I regularly shop at Morrisons in various locations in England. All the stores I have used have been huge.

They have a great range of wines!! :Razz Also, great cafe's, pie and meat counters, fish counter, great deli, curry counter etc (most of which we probably won't get up in Wick).

I would say they are cheaper than Safeways and definitely cheaper than Tesco but having said that, I just noticed a sign in Tesco, Hull, today which said Safeway was the most expensive supermarket. I suppose it depends on what you are buying.

I don't like Morrisons uniform though. White shirts and black ties for the men and burgandy tabards and big floral floppy bows for the women (no joke), oh and big black butcher type aprons and white shirts for people stacking the shelves (true)
:eek: :eek:

I did hear that Tesco have an interest in the far north but, doubt if there will be enough trade to go around another supermarket, unless Morrison decide it doesn't want the stores in Caithness, then Tesco might well be in there.
I don't mind, as long as we have a few well stocked stores, it doesn't matter if it is Morrison, Tesco or my favourite ASDA. :lol:

Fran
12-Apr-04, 17:30
what about the large old Pentland Autos premises in George Street,Wick, which has been empty for years and is falling apart. That would make a good Tesco or a youth hosteland tourist office.
What does everyone think? :

William
27-Apr-04, 02:21
Well we could do with a decent supermarket up here whether it is true or not i don't know

robinfalconer
14-May-04, 16:47
WHY DONT THEY TURN CAITHNESS GLASS INTO A SHOPPING CENTER LIKE INVERNESS, ITS BIG ENOUGH.

moshmosh
14-May-04, 18:19
WHY DONT THEY TURN CAITHNESS GLASS INTO A SHOPPING CENTER LIKE INVERNESS, ITS BIG ENOUGH.

As big as your text? :roll:

:Razz

robinfalconer
14-May-04, 21:44
WHAT DO U MEAN: as big as my text

moshmosh
14-May-04, 23:25
The Wick High School education shines through you.

Doolally
16-May-04, 02:50
[quote="Niall Fernie"]
With all the action in the town itself...quote]

I must've missed something! :confused

casper
16-May-04, 22:37

As big as your text? :roll:

:Razz

Give him a break - he's just a kid.

Anonymous
17-May-04, 10:42
Doolally, you've not been round the harbour area recently? or even seen their plans? or visited the newish Lidl or Wetherspoons. New Women's refuge is nearly finshed. Lots of talks about more things at the harbour. Plans for a new community centre over on the Pulteney side. I'm sure there's plently that could be added to this list.

mike.mckenzie
17-May-04, 15:34
You know, more's been done in the town centre over the last year and a half than over the decade prior to that. Good to see things are finally happening in Wick.

bacardibabe
22-May-04, 20:42
heard robert more who owns riverside home has the go ahead to build the new tesco across from the caithness glass site.the park at westerseat farm.also heard argos is coming to wick.robbie macdonald the agent for argos at the moment is to retire soon.sounds good to me!!! :cool:

Stacker
23-May-04, 00:27
You should work for the Groat Bacardibabe

champagnebaby
24-May-04, 17:17
I think a Tesco's is a bonnie n good idea - be better than safeway/morrisons and e coop.

Has anyone seen e state o e veg in e coop recently - it's a joke!

Donnie
24-May-04, 17:42
I'm not a big Tesco fan. I'd much rather an ASDA.