PDA

View Full Version : Caithness slang word's or phrase's

Chillie
14-May-06, 16:06
How many can we all come up with, of the top of our head's, without looking at the book's ?

jings00
14-May-06, 16:19
chekkiefortyfeet .... centipede ( i think, and not sure of the spelling!)

nikki
14-May-06, 19:09
scorrie, means seagull, but i think that's quite an obvious one.

Billy Boy
14-May-06, 19:18
sore bouwg - sore belly
ganzie - jumper

Stargazer
14-May-06, 20:53
May Gobs - Heavy showers of rain blown in on a north wind. (in May :lol: )

sam
14-May-06, 21:03
never cast a cloot till may's oot - dont take yer jumpers/jackets off till may is out

changilass
14-May-06, 21:55
Oxters - hate that word, it is soooo discritpive lol

goldenguernsey
14-May-06, 22:09
Do you really know what "oxters" means?

goldenguernsey
14-May-06, 22:10
If I said " I was up to my oxters in it" could you say what I was on about?

goldenguernsey
14-May-06, 22:12
Also the saying never cast a clout until "the" May is out, refers to the flowers of the May bush

goldenguernsey
14-May-06, 22:12
Nothing to do with the month of May!

Geo
14-May-06, 22:18
It's also said in N.Ireland and England so doesn't appear to be Caithness slang although it could of course have orginated here!

goldenguernsey
14-May-06, 22:19
Oxters refers to armpits, may be totally wrong here but I think it comes from mining folk. My grandfather was a miner (coal) and it was an expression often used by himself.

changilass
14-May-06, 22:46
Do you really know what "oxters" means?

If I didn't know what it meant I woudnae have included it lol

jings00
14-May-06, 23:09
twinkle twinkle little dowg
lie on yer back an i'll pat yer bowg

mike.mckenzie
15-May-06, 12:29
Chillie - your grammar is terrible. You don't use an apostrophe with a plural. The apostrophe is supposed to denote possession. It winds me up that. Why do so many people use an apostrophe with plurals? We were all taught this at school, so why have people started doing it all the time now?

mike.mckenzie
15-May-06, 12:30
I'll gie ye a lickin

Chillie
15-May-06, 12:50
Chillie - your grammar is terrible. You don't use an apostrophe with a plural. The apostrophe is supposed to denote possession. It winds me up that. Why do so many people use an apostrophe with plurals? We were all taught this at school, so why have people started doing it all the time now?

Your post has wound me up[mad] what's it to you Mr mike mcperfect[lol]
Who else are going to insult today?
PM me in future if you have a problem with me.

And another thing go strum your guitar and have an arguement with a cucumber.lol

Chillie
15-May-06, 12:51
I'll gie ye a lickin

And who are you referring to here then.?

badger
15-May-06, 12:57

Oh dear - just what I was thinking but didn't dare say. Is this overuse of apostrophes because people have been told off for not using them so do it just to be on the safe side? Don't know but it certainly makes more work for fingers. It's a bit like using "me" instead of "I". So many people used to say "me" when they meant "I" that now it's more common to hear "I" when it should be "me". You say we were all taught grammar at school but I think that's just it - for so long it has been considered repressive to correct mistakes (damages creativity) that it's amazing anyone can spell, punctuate etc.

This is going right off thread (and probably been done to death elsewhere) but it's my belief that all this has nothing to do with intelligence but more with wanting to get things right. I know far more intelligent people than me who cannot spell or punctuate. I just like things right which is why, like you, I find all these apostrophes soooo annoying - and I am not in the least creative :(

golach
15-May-06, 14:31
Golach = Earwig = Forkie Tail

footie chick
15-May-06, 14:41
Haven't seen a forkie tail for years.

squeezy
15-May-06, 15:04
Haven't seen a forkie tail for years.

Thank goodness, I hate the things.

Ever since I saw the Wrath of Khan and the bit where Khan puts the eels into the helmets of our intrepid explorers and they go into their ears. I've had a thing about bugs going into my ears, and particulary forkie-tails for some reason.

Back on topic, one of my favourites is:

Chiel - guy, bloke

mike.mckenzie
15-May-06, 15:07
Chillie - its not just you, many many people do it and it winds me up. It couldn't possibly be personal because I have absolutely no clue who or what you are. Its the internet. Don't get so offended.

And the "lickin" reference was my addition to Caithness slang. My Nana used to say it when we wound her up!

Seeing lasagne spelt as lasange also winds me up.

Chillie
15-May-06, 15:11
Chillie - its not just you, many many people do it and it winds me up. It couldn't possibly be personal because I have absolutely no clue who or what you are. Its the internet. Don't get so offended.

And the "lickin" reference was my addition to Caithness slang. My Nana used to say it when we wound her up!

Seeing lasagne spelt as lasange also winds me up.

I was offended mike, you solely picked me out.So your nana was going to give you a good lickin, i wonder why:roll: you were'nt argueing with a cucumber again![lol]

mike.mckenzie
15-May-06, 15:56
Haha, I didn't have a clue what you were on about until I remembered what's on my band's myspace profile! Is that what you meant?!

riggerboy
15-May-06, 16:24
ackles yer back teeth

jings00
15-May-06, 16:30
it's turnin intil a recht boorach

Chillie
15-May-06, 16:41
Haha, I didn't have a clue what you were on about until I remembered what's on my band's myspace profile! Is that what you meant?!

yes had a look at your link, even after feeling insulted i'll say "good music":D

Chillie
15-May-06, 16:42
it's turnin intil a recht boorach

it's a sair fecht:D

Chillie
15-May-06, 17:06
Oh dear - just what I was thinking but didn't dare say I just like things right which is why, like you, I find all these apostrophes soooo annoying

tut tut.:Razz

janette
18-May-06, 12:41
If you believe everything that you hear you'll eat everything you see.

Must apply to some of the postings on the org.

Errogie
18-May-06, 17:30
Lassagie Bygie - someone with a gender challenge!

Partan - crab

selag - young coal fish

peltag - a bit bigger

Cuddin - bigger yet

Fusome - pretty bad condition or just plain nasty

ropach - rough

Shockat - Peewit

Gleeber - Resident of Thurso's upwardly mobile western suburb

Hackrick - Leafy Halkirk

There are many more out there but probably fading fast.

melted_wellie
18-May-06, 19:02
Nothing to do with the month of May!what about.....never cast a clout till the month of May is out??? is that about the month of May??

footie chick
18-May-06, 19:12
Hackrick - Leafy Halkirk

There are many more out there but probably fading fast.

Thought Halkirk was only known as Sin City:lol:

Errogie
18-May-06, 19:32
Thought Halkirk was only known as Sin City:lol:

No Footie Chick that's the title for Inverness.

I was dead against the campaign to turn into a city because I though "Royal Burgh" had more class so wrote a letter to the Inverness Courier claiming it was so the other"quality" town paper could use the headline "Sin City".
Within a month they did!
But Halkirk had a head start what with boiling the Bishop of Caithness in butter when he asked the locals for more taxes.
Great idea for a local pie or pastie would be a "Bishop Burger". Could it be a menu special in the Ulbster Arms?

pultneytooner
18-May-06, 21:55
please yur ingin

Chillie
18-May-06, 21:58
please yur ingin

Ma bougee is fill : My belly is full up[lol]

footie chick
18-May-06, 22:03
Great idea for a local pie or pastie would be a "Bishop Burger". Could it be a menu special in the Ulbster Arms?

They should try it at least it would be a change to the menu they've had for the last 5 or so years:lol:

tisme
24-May-06, 12:11
peedie - small
gowls - nether regions!!

mccaugm
24-May-06, 15:38
My mother-in-law says -

Sornin - looking for

Doug - dog

Peedie chil - small child

Peedie Bygie - small boy

Also Caithness people always say ch when the sound is J

i.e Chacket - jacket

Cedric Farthsbottom III
24-May-06, 15:42
My favourites are the 3 fleurs and boyagee.:lol:

laguna2
24-May-06, 15:43
.. so does that mean that "Halkirk chickie" is really "Halkirk Jickie [lol]

Kenn
24-May-06, 22:14
amidan = fool
attrie = bad tempered
aul-farrant=old fashioned
bank o' fowg=killjoy
blainag=pimple
bletter=duck droppings
Booragtoon= Thurso
boggin=bad taste / horrible
broon-coo= whisky jar
bubblie=ignoramous
buller=to heisitate in speech.cry intemittently
buss=sulk
carrie-elt=half baked

JAWS
25-May-06, 00:00
I've been dipping in and out of this one and I've found it of great interest.
However, I would question the use of the word "Slang". I would have thought Dialect would be a more accurate term.
I'm not having a go at Chillie for using "slang" because I was always chastised for using "slang" as a child. I now realise just how much of my Heritage was kept from me.

A lot of old Dialect Words in all areas of Britain are being lost forever because, whereas a while ago that was the e=way almost everybody would speak in an area, we now constantly hear a form of "Standard" English via the Media. I can understand the reason for that because were somebody from Caithness to talk to somebody from Cornwall, both using their own dialect they would never understand one another so in the age of radio/TV something everybody can understand makes sense.

As far as I am concerned, dialect is just as important to an areas Culture as promoting the use of any other dying language.

Blethering is something we do in Lancashire as well as Caithness, fusome also sounds vaguely familiar somewhere in the recesses of my brain, somebody might be called a "fusome idiot", which I always took the mean a "complete idiot", (I know, yes I have been called one before) but it looks very similar to the meaning you have here.
Certainly the origins of some of the words must be the same.

I prefer the term dialect because people are more easily persuaded it is something worth preserving whereas "slang" has always been used as a derogatory word indicating something rather lacking in taste and only used by those who know no better and therefore to be cast aside as worthless.
It would be such a shame were this area to lose something which is so much a part of it's heritage.

Cedric Farthsbottom III
25-May-06, 00:09
Know what ye mean about a lot of dialects being lost.My gran used to always say to me and my brother in Ayrshire that we were not speaking properly and that we should use proper English.

We both would say at the same time,"Ach away and bile yer heid!!!!!".Man,she laughed her head off at that.:lol: :lol:

plutonio
25-May-06, 10:22
chiel- man

mccaugm
25-May-06, 10:58
.. so does that mean that "Halkirk chickie" is really "Halkirk Jickie [lol]

I guess it does....[lol]

Billy Boy
25-May-06, 11:21
peelie-wallie , ill-looking

breek's , trouser's

neep , turnip

wallie's , false teeth

midden , dunghill

hairy-brottag , caterpillar

Billy Boy
25-May-06, 11:36
semmit=vest

blin-drift=snow

lug=ear

dirdie-wicker=someone fae wick

Billy Boy
25-May-06, 12:03
btw anyone know how/why the slang word dirdie-wicker got started:confused:

Rheghead
25-May-06, 12:33
Some Caithness terminology for their birds.

Borray : Razorbill
Cootrie or Tommienorrie : Puffin
Faap : Curlew
Horse Gowk : Snipe
Jocktibeet or Stonechecker : Stonechat
Kittiefake : Kittiewake
Lairag : Skylark
Malimak : Fulmer
Maws : Seagulls
Muir Hen : Red Grouse
Oakie or Awpie : Guillemot
Pikternie : Tern
Scarf : Shag or Cormorant
Shochad : Lapwing
Skooty-allan : Arctic skua
Skorry : young seagull
Solan : Gannet
Sprowg : Sparrow
Stirler: Starling
Teetlen : Meadow pipit
Willie beeb : Sandpiper
Yarlin : Yellowhammer

Dusty
25-May-06, 20:22
I heard or read somewhere that the word Durdie meant "hard working" and was applied to the folk that worked in the herring fishing businesses around Wick. So...Durdy Weeker. Which at times was used as "Durty Weeker".

Dusty
25-May-06, 20:26
Some words my Dad who was a Gleeber used:
Trock = rubbish, Hippen = nappy, peeping = crying, Bowgie = belly, Paling Stab = fence post, Dowg = dog, Skail = spill, Browg = Bradawl (device for making holes in leather), Peedy = small. Fousom = unclean.

connieb19
25-May-06, 20:28
Garrad- Attic

Rheghead
25-May-06, 20:31

According to my sources, the most likely explanation is that your spelling has slightly changed through modern myth from the original 'Daatie' which was a term of endearment meaning 'Darling'. It may have been given extra association with the 'silver darlings'.

The Pepsi Challenge
26-May-06, 02:00
Trosk - a useless woman.

Chillie
26-May-06, 02:11
Trosk - a useless woman.

That's one I have'na heard in age's :lol:

Rheghead
26-May-06, 12:03
Tirrymirry - a fit of passion LOL!

Billy Boy
26-May-06, 12:10
wantin=a tough female

Naefearjustbeer
26-May-06, 12:54
what about.....never cast a clout till the month of May is out??? is that about the month of May??

That is not a caithness saying. I also think it should be Mey not May.

See the link below

http://www.scuilwab.org.uk/WirdOTheMonth/May2004.htm for more info

2little2late
26-May-06, 14:44

It is a corruption of the saying "hardy workers" as in hard workers. Hence over the years the saying has been known as dirty weekers. Nothing to do with being dirty at all.

One you have all missed is........
"what's 'e crack"?

Billy Boy
26-May-06, 14:58
The origonal term was ' Dirdie ' , a Caithness word meaning ' busy ' or ' always on the go ' . ... Dorty Weeker ' meaning an out and out Wicker . ...
just googled the meaning dirdie wicker and this is what came up!

Loafer
30-May-06, 07:34
"ben ee hoose" is my favourite.

"Mither, hev yee seen ma chaiket? Aye ma loon, it's choost ben ee hoose"

As in another part of the home.

The Loafer

Errogie
01-Jun-06, 19:15
So have we got the makings of "'E Caithness Dictionary".

There is probably money out there from someone like the Arts Council with a logical follow up of night classes, conversation sessions and participation in activities coducive to the vocabulary like peat cutting, or sheep clipping.

Very impressed by the extended bird list has that been was written down somewhere before?

tammienorrie
01-Jun-06, 22:15
http://www.caithness.org/atoz/wick/index.htm

Its in here!!! Read it a while back!!