PDA

View Full Version : What's happened to the TV?

Dorrie
23-Feb-10, 18:13
Hi for the last few weeks we have been unable to get BBC, now we can't get any TV. I know they are working on the mast for BBC but what has happened to all the rest? I know my neighbours have the same problem, anyone else?

Humerous Vegetable
23-Feb-10, 18:25
Yes, we're getting "no signal" on most of the channels just now. Can get BBC 1 and 2 but no sound.

achingale
23-Feb-10, 19:14
You will just have to watch via iPlayer in the meantime. Hope you get it back soon.

kel24
23-Feb-10, 19:24
Hey i noticed this problem lastnight, i went to bed and turned on my telly to find that the only channel i had was bbc1, the other 3 were just snow with no volume! By this morning though they seemed to be back on. i thought my telly was on the blink so i'm happy to hear others have been having problems!

Liz
23-Feb-10, 19:43
I noticed that few channels were off last night but very late so didn't really matter.

Details of work being carried out here.http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/how_do_i_switch/your_aerial/engineering_works

Probably will be quite a few 'interruptions' until the switchover in June.

Sometimes wish I had Sky.:roll:

Dorrie
23-Feb-10, 20:14
Seeing as it is affecting most channels we should request a refund on our licence. I think this time it is due to go on until end of March.

Liz
23-Feb-10, 20:40
Seeing as it is affecting most channels we should request a refund on our licence. I think this time it is due to go on until end of March.

Not much chance of that and we only pay a licence for BBC Channels.

I really hope the switchover goes without any hitches.

ShelleyCowie
23-Feb-10, 21:41
I noticed that few channels were off last night but very late so didn't really matter.

Details of work being carried out here.http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/how_do_i_switch/your_aerial/engineering_works

Probably will be quite a few 'interruptions' until the switchover in June.

Sometimes wish I had Sky.:roll:

Liz i would say Sky is worth the money. Yes people complain there is hundreds of channels and nothing on, but i have Sky+ (hopefully getting HD soon) and i record loads and watch it when i get the peace. :lol:

Usually have at least 5-10 programs waiting to be watched. The pause feature is also handy. I get quite a few phone calls and other interuptions so its great!

Liz
23-Feb-10, 23:33
Liz i would say Sky is worth the money. Yes people complain there is hundreds of channels and nothing on, but i have Sky+ (hopefully getting HD soon) and i record loads and watch it when i get the peace. :lol:

Usually have at least 5-10 programs waiting to be watched. The pause feature is also handy. I get quite a few phone calls and other interuptions so its great!

How much does it cost per month Shelley?

I have a Freeview PVR which is great as I can pause live TV as well and also record two programmes at the same time.
So not sure whether Sky would be worth the money for me?

Serenity
24-Feb-10, 00:06
Sky is a rip off. You have to pay a not insubstantial subscription then get very long adverts :( Not that there is much decent to bother watching anyway. I have a HD freeview box and wee hd gadget which takes sd cards, usb sticks etc and can watch things from there. Also iplayer etc. If you research there are some quite good freeview setups just now and wireless streaming from pcs etc. Wish I had researched it more before I bought the hd freeview box.
I would pay for sky IF it meant no adverts. I would even pay quite a lot more but no way am I paying for my enjoyment of the few decent programs there are to be ruined by constant sponsers, trails and adverts. Never again!

Serenity
24-Feb-10, 00:07
Actually the sky broadband on unbundled exchanges is a pretty good package so if Thurso exchange ever gets upgraded or I move to somewhere that is I might pay it again. Altogether it ain't so bad.

Moonboots
24-Feb-10, 11:11
Actually the sky broadband on unbundled exchanges is a pretty good package so if Thurso exchange ever gets upgraded or I move to somewhere that is I might pay it again. Altogether it ain't so bad.

If everyone showed interest in sky's broadband unbundled then probably sky would activate the exchange as they know they would make money out of it.

As regarding the analogue tv. Look out as this is whats going to happen if you either do not have freeview or sky. You will have NO TV!!!.

RELAX
24-Feb-10, 12:09
sky are no doubt the best supplier of programs, but not cheap , if you have HD and an extra box this can cost over £60 per month , i now do not subscribe to an extra box nor HD and pay for the minimum package , but having checked with what i am actually paying for , freeview would probably supply nearly all the same channels for nothing except freeview is hit and miss at present and i do not think that it will be 100% even when it comes full strength in June, so i think that the best long term bet would be freesat, if you already have a sky dish all you need is a freesat tv "built in" or freesat tuner "one with HD and twin tuner" Humax or "panasonic blueray dvd player recorder very good but not cheap". sky will be doing offers soon because they know that they will lose a lot of customers with freeview,but freesat i think best option. and in my mind panasonic the best televisions , better prices in inverness than up here unfortunately by £200 + on most items.

Invisible
24-Feb-10, 12:37
I have noticed this too that BBC suddenly gives up, I thought it was my tv which is non-digital.

Serenity
24-Feb-10, 15:26
If everyone showed interest in sky's broadband unbundled then probably sky would activate the exchange as they know they would make money out of it.

As regarding the analogue tv. Look out as this is whats going to happen if you either do not have freeview or sky. You will have NO TV!!!.

Bt have to unbundle it first. And only then could Sky activate it. It is going to be a long wait imo - although last time I checked samknows.com it indicated the Thurso exchange would be upgraded to 21CN (which I would assume includes unbundling it) in Q3 2011. I don't know if I believe that but either way it is a long wait.
Sky and other providers of LLU products will already want in. They can't until BT let them.

Sorry for off-topicness.

And a previous poster was correct. No analogue soon and we have all had enough warning. Can get basic set-top boxes really cheap now too.

ShelleyCowie
24-Feb-10, 19:15
How much does it cost per month Shelley?

I have a Freeview PVR which is great as I can pause live TV as well and also record two programmes at the same time.
So not sure whether Sky would be worth the money for me?

Mine is £35.50 a month at the moment Liz but i get all the movie channels and alot of other channels too. We generally watch a wide variety of programs in my house. We all love documenteries and things so have to have all them channels, i watch the home and health channels aswell.

But im pretty sure you can get a basic package for £16 a month. I know it might sound alot to some people if they dont have a high income.

Or you can just get a box installed and stick to your normal channels plus a few extras for free.

StacNKel
24-Feb-10, 19:20
i have sky + HD it costs me £53 a month I have al the movie channels and most of the other channels. When you get the HD box it costs you an extra £10 month on top of your subscription.

Liz
24-Feb-10, 19:39
Mine is £35.50 a month at the moment Liz but i get all the movie channels and alot of other channels too. We generally watch a wide variety of programs in my house. We all love documenteries and things so have to have all them channels, i watch the home and health channels aswell.

But im pretty sure you can get a basic package for £16 a month. I know it might sound alot to some people if they dont have a high income.

Or you can just get a box installed and stick to your normal channels plus a few extras for free.

Thanks Shelley. I am actually quite happy with Freeview for the moment and the Humax PVR I have is brilliant and I get great picture quality. I will just see how things go after the switchover before making any decisions.

i have sky + HD it costs me £53 a month I have al the movie channels and most of the other channels. When you get the HD box it costs you an extra £10 month on top of your subscription.

Crikey that's expensive! Still I am sure it is worth it if you watch a lot of movies.
Heating bills too high for now to contemplate switching to Sky. Unless of course I have a lottery win.

How dependable is Sky ie how prone is to drop out in signal? Touch wood,my Freeview has been pretty good since upgrading to a wideband aerial and it is only really high pressure which affects it badly.

ShelleyCowie
24-Feb-10, 19:56
Thanks Shelley. I am actually quite happy with Freeview for the moment and the Humax PVR I have is brilliant and I get great picture quality. I will just see how things go after the switchover before making any decisions.

Crikey that's expensive! Still I am sure it is worth it if you watch a lot of movies.
Heating bills too high for now to contemplate switching to Sky. Unless of course I have a lottery win.

How dependable is Sky ie how prone is to drop out in signal? Touch wood,my Freeview has been pretty good since upgrading to a wideband aerial and it is only really high pressure which affects it badly.

Liz, Freeview is excellent if you get the good quality picture that you get. I would have it but the OH would never allow it :lol: My sky has only lost signal once and that was in extreme wind conditions that my dish moved a bit, but that was the old dish.

If i win the lottery Liz i will pay for your sky subscription! ;)

Liz
24-Feb-10, 20:02
If i win the lottery Liz i will pay for your sky subscription! ;)

Aw bless you Shelley!:lol: Can I have HD?;)

StacNKel
24-Feb-10, 20:05
It is very expensive i suppose but we do watch a lot of movies and the kids watch a lot o movies and their kiddies channels. Although my OH has his xbox on most of the time so i find myself paying paying a subscription for something i rarely get to watch. ha-ha

My dish has never moved and i always get a signal on it so its not bad really.

Liz
24-Feb-10, 20:12
Better hide your oh's Xbox then StacNKel!:lol:

StacNKel
24-Feb-10, 20:30
Oh it wouldnt be worth the gurning ha very tempting though! Sometimes i think about hiding his batteries for the control pads just to see what he would do haha

ShelleyCowie
24-Feb-10, 20:36
Oh it wouldnt be worth the gurning ha very tempting though! Sometimes i think about hiding his batteries for the control pads just to see what he would do haha

Doesnt work :lol:

In our house we have 2 xbox 360's, PS3, PS2, Wii, PSP, Nintendo DS....not forgetting the oldies N64, ps1, NES etc etc.

I cant say much. Me and my OH have our own Xbox's so we dont fight over who is playing lol

Liz
24-Feb-10, 23:49

Better get another Tv then and banish him to another room!:lol:

only me
02-Mar-10, 18:32
Hi Everyone,

Is anyone still having problems with there freeview reception, we were getting lots of channels and are now getting none!!

Thanks

celtic88chick
02-Mar-10, 19:33
Hi, i'm still having problems with my freeview as well, the only channels that i can still get are bbc channels, but even then the signal comes and goes.