PDA

View Full Version : duke of edinburgh award scheme

lynne duncan
22-Feb-10, 14:15
just wondering about this scheme, is it run regularly in caithness, my daughter fancies it but is too young yet as she is only 12,

-Sarah-
22-Feb-10, 15:11
Its usually done through schools, well it was when I was at Wick High. If I remember right it was offered to us around 3rd year-4th year. I really regret not doing it, it is quite the experience from friends that have taken part and it also looks good on your CV.

Tubthumper
22-Feb-10, 17:39
You can do the DofE award through uniformed groups such as the Scouts, Guides and the various Cadet forces (Sea, Army and Air) in the area.

Fluff
22-Feb-10, 18:43
Lynne, I did mine nearly 10 years ago now (feel old..) but I did mine with the Sea Cadets. I know the local guides do it as well too.

so so worth doing!

Dadie
22-Feb-10, 22:33
You have to be 14 to start with the bronze level and it takes at least 6 months commitment to complete!
If any of the uniformed groups are doing it, she, may be able to tag along for the expedition but the rest of it can be done solo if wished.
Just as long as she has evidence of her activities:lol:

ShelleyCowie
22-Feb-10, 23:51
You can do the DofE award through uniformed groups such as the Scouts, Guides and the various Cadet forces (Sea, Army and Air) in the area.

Done mine at army cadets. Great fun! :Razz

SunnyChick
23-Feb-10, 14:35
I would encourage any young person to go through the DoE awards. I did mine through to Gold Award. :cool:

Thurso Army Cadets have Duke of Edinburgh coordinators, as do many other groups.

However, if your child doesn't want to join any of these groups then there should be someone at the High School or your local Youth Club who can help get you on the DoE trail.

Good luck!