Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Same Scam Different Package

Default Same Scam Different Package

I see the much debated SHC collections scam is back with us ,but in a different package, (literally) .

They must have run out of there little yellow flyers (complete with spelling mistakes) and opted for a more sophisticated approach, by posting a bag through the door with the relevant collection day and info printed on the outer.

Although most of us are aware of this dishonest trading method and I don’t see any bags put out for them this morning, they must be doing OK for themselves to be able to travel from London and take the goods back there for sorting.
    A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.

Question

It's not really a scam, the packaging doesn't say that they are a charity, it provides their registered company number, and says they provide clothing to people in third world countries at the price they can afford, so it clearly defines that they are a business who will sell any donations given, Yes!...what they are doing is pretty shady, as a fleeting glance at the packaging gives the impression that they may be a charity, and there will be plenty of people who will assume just that, but a scam?...no, as the packaging does state who they are and what they do.

There are loads of bags round my way awaiting collection, some doorsteps have more than one bag!

I read the bag and assumed it was a charity, did not realise they would be selling clothes on, I did fill my bag but will give it to a local charity shop instead.
    Why be a hard rock when you really are a gem!

the bags will never be picked up

Quote Originally Posted by Mr P Cannop View Post
    the bags will never be picked up

Why not?

because they never picked the bags up the last time they pulled the scam.

there's lots of info online about this latest con

my advice would be to donate to local or recognised charities if you have any unwanted clothes/items.

Im up in poltney and say the guys collect all the bags that were out this morn. so in this instance they have picked up!
    What doesn't kill you, will make you stronger.....

Quote Originally Posted by butterfly View Post
    Why not?
    becasue its a scam

Default Cunning Plan

becasue its a scam
    I agree it’s a scam,(and that’s just a matter of opinion though), but I fail to see how not picking them up would constitute part of the cunning plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Milkins View Post
    I fail to see how not picking them up would constitute part of the cunning plan.

Aye Kevin,that's exactly what i was thinking!
    Last edited by butterfly; 25-Aug-09 at 15:56.

Question

becasue its a scam
    Answer me this, how can it be a scam if it clearly states on the packaging that they are a company that provides people in third world countries with clothes they can afford?, to be a scam there would have to be some kind of mis-information printed on the packaging or leaflet, which there isn't, there is NOTHING on these bags/leaflets that gives any indication that SHC Collections is anything other than a company looking for donated clothes to sell.

So before you all grab the pitchforks lanterns and noose and go baying for blood, perhaps you should all READ the leaflet properly, then throw it in the bin.

they never pick the bags up

Nah,dont throw it away,i used the bag for lining my kitchen bin!

they never pick the bags up
    And how exactly does that constitute a scam?. If they don't pick up the bags they haven't scammed you out of anything, so if that's your logical thinking, then the best you could label it, is a completely pointless practical joke, certainly not a scam.
    Last edited by Gizmo; 25-Aug-09 at 17:06.

Default Scam

Gizmo, it’s not what they have put on the leaflet that makes them a scam outfit but what happens to the goods after it has been collected.

This company has been investigated many times and in many different parts of the country and if you google SHC collections you will hit many forums discussing there activates.

The way the flyer is worded is itself slightly misleading and would leave many people to believe that donations are going straight to needy people in the third world.

On one forum a lady found some clothes that she donated for sale on a second hand clothes stall in Pontypool market.

From the North Star, this guy is the man who should know what he is on about regarding SHC collections:-
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

"Bob Jones, Highland Council's principal trading standards officer, who was made aware of the leaflet from a worried member of the public, also expressed concerns.

He said: "I would not recommend people give clothing to this firm. However, they don't claim to be a charity and there is nothing legally that stops them doing clothing collections."
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

These companies get away with sailing close to the wind, partly through clever operating methods, and partly because people don't bother to look into who/what they are dealing with. I don't like the way this company goes about its business and I won't give them a sweaty sock. People should be more streetwise though.

Gizmo, it’s not what they have put on the leaflet that makes them a scam outfit but what happens to the goods after it has been collected.
    Possibly, in reality we have no way of knowing what is happening to the donated items, but my points were made in relation to the information provided on the packaging.
    But proper regulated charities are sometimes guilty of the same thing, they have, in the past, been caught wasting and mis-managing a massive amount of the money donated to them.

[FONT=Verdana]This company has been investigated many times and in many different parts of the country and if you google SHC collections you will hit many forums discussing there activates.
    All the forums i looked at were full of the same type of posts that this thread has, people just not reading and understanding the information provided.

The way the flyer is worded is itself slightly misleading and would leave many people to believe that donations are going straight to needy people in the third world.
    Can't agree with that, it clearly says they provide people with clothes they can afford, so i can't see how you could be left with any impression other than that SHC Collections is going to sell your donation.

What they are doing is morally questionable, and they will certainly never get any clothing from myself, but as stated by the Trading Standards official, SHC are not doing anything illegal.

Hmmn I wonder if it was this lot who helped themselves to 3 bags of clothes sitting infront of my garage?It certainly wasnt meant for them,I had set them out infront of the garage to put in my car and take to a charity shop but then having a blonde moment I drove off without the bags but when I came home they were gone!Not in the SHC bags so they shouldnt really help themselves-then again it may not have been them but I can hardly call the police and report them as stolen either can I x
    The nice thing about living in a small place is that if you dont know what you are doing....there's always somebody who does,or thinks they do! x

It is a scam in the sense that it deprives real charities of donations they would normally recieve, while many of the people giving the clothes away believe they are giving them to charity. It is very misleading.
    On e'bay a couple of years ago a couple were selling pictures of games consoles for a few hundred pounds. The add stated that people were bidding on the picture of the console. Still they were scammers and con artists, both in the mind of their clients and the court that tried them. Even if you clearly state something about what you are selling, if generally percieved by the same public to be something else, you are inducing them in error and conning them.
    An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing

Quote Originally Posted by _Ju_ View Post
    It is a scam in the sense that it deprives real charities of donations they would normally recieve, while many of the people giving the clothes away believe they are giving them to charity. It is very misleading.
    On e'bay a couple of years ago a couple were selling pictures of games consoles for a few hundred pounds. The add stated that people were bidding on the picture of the console. Still they were scammers and con artists, both in the mind of their clients and the court that tried them. Even if you clearly state something about what you are selling, if generally percieved by the same public to be something else, you are inducing them in error and conning them.
    No, you are wrong, all the people calling it a scam are just using it as an excuse to justify their foolishness for not stopping to read the information correctly, it's only misleading to those who don't take the time to read and understand what is told to them, as i have said before, what they are doing is morally questionable, but there is NOTHING misleading printed on their packaging.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast